Start by marking “Chow Down (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #13)” as Want to Read:
Chow Down (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #13)

Chow Down

(Melanie Travis #13)

If Melanie Travis was planning on a quiet family summer with her Standard Poodle Faith, son Davey, and new husband Sam, her plans are about to turn upside down. An unexpected competition, a trip to New York, and - oh yes, a murder - later, Melanie finds herself in a choke collar of deceit and corruption.

When she receives the letter from the Champions Dog Food Company info
Paperback
Published August 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chow Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chow Down

Heidi Burkhart
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly Melanie and Faith find themselves finalists in a dog food company’s contest. Unfortunately the 100,000 prize money brings out the worst in some contestants. I love this series!!
Alton Motobu
Centered around the dog show circuit in the northeast - lots of information about the planning and preparation for showing dogs at these events- including the owners, who are obsessive, possessive and excessive regarding their dogs.

There is a cozy mystery in this story. A dog food manufacturer wants to find a "spokesdog" for their new dog food and conducts a nation-wide search for the perfect dog. Five finalists are named, and they all turn out to be from near the offices of the manufacturer (j
Ana
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was a new series for me, and it's always hard to read one in the middle. I didn't know the characters or much about the theme (dog shows), but it was still fun to read. Melanie's show poodle Faith has been entered in a contest by her son. The Champion dog food company is looking for a spokes-dog for its new line of dog food, and Faith makes it in as a finalist. The fact that the food has licorice in it and Faith does not like it does not get Melanie out of competing, since her son signed he ...more
Dianne Davies
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis is a Newlywed with a young son. She shows poodles and is a teacher in Greenwich Ct. She is looking forward to spending the summer with her husband and son when she receives a letter from a dog food company that her dog is a finalist. Her son Davy had unbeknownst to her has entered their poodle. Not wanting to disappoint her son she becomes involved in this competition. One of the contestants is murdered and Melanie becomes involved in finding out why and what is going on. Great st ...more
Dena
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, with this one, I can say that I no longer feel any need to put other books between the Melanie Travis books. Straight into the next one. Love them. Maybe an anthology is in order!!! AND I will be putting a dog show on the agenda for 2019. Thank you, Laurien Berenson! I love these. Is it weird, that I feel like Melanie and I would totally be friends if she knew me??? HA!
Shawnee
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith! Terry! Crawford!
Jack Laschenski
Not bad. Murder mystery.

But too much immersion in the dog showing business.

Tedious.
Kathi Olsen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A fun, pretty quick read about show dogs and their families. It was a nice relaxing read in spite of the murder!
Libby
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. The series was recommended to me by my agility instructor Dawn. This book is for anyone that likes dogs.
Lena H.
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Things are panning out quite nicely for Melanie and family. Good mystery and nice happy ending.
Diane
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 - Good
Kathy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues to be a fun series, that is always a quick enjoyable read.
Marfita
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog fanciers and mystery addicts
Recommended to Marfita by: the cozies group
Shelves: mysteries, cozies
Berenson's stories are well-enough crafted. You learn more about the dog-show world than some people might care to know, but she builds suspense well and puts in some interesting characters. Even the dogs seem to have nicely rounded personalities. I was happy to see an actual cat in the story, even if it was just a cameo and named "Beagle."
Everything made perfect sense except, except a couple of newlyweds (3 months) trying to have a child. Her first marriage went bad, leaving her with a boy to
Clare O'Beara
This cosy crime series about a purebred poodle and her doting, busy owner is several books long by now but I expect that new readers could come in at this point. I'd read from the first book but the well-established characters are still easy to get to know.
Melanie has a large black poodle called Faith and learnt how to show her and manage her hair and clipping in the previous books. Now Faith is a champion and her daughter Eve is still to get a few more wins. All these books revolve around the
Liz
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lauren Berenson's Melanie Travis stories, with her son Davy, her new Husband Sam, Aunt Peg, Bertie, and the cast of poodles. Davy enters Faith into a contest so that she may win a chance at being the Chow Down spokesdog for the Champion Dog Food Company. Her quiet summer is taken up with hauling Faith to one event after another to find out which of the five finalists will be the winner, take home the prize money and appear on television.

The summer shows goes on between Faith's trip into t
Beverly
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
Gloria
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A light, fun mystery centered around a dog food manufacturer's quest for a canine "spokesperson" for their new dog chow. Things go wrong when one of the owners of a finalist is killed under suspicious circumstances. This book is the thirteenth in an on-going series, the nineteenth of which releases in July. I usually don't go back to the beginning when I start in the middle of a series like this, but I plan to read 14 through 19, because the ongoing characters are well-written, and frankly, I li ...more
Joan
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first one of the series that I ever read. I'm not sure how I managed to miss this series before, but I think it is so much fun! Poodle owner/breeder/handler Melanie Travis is entered in a dog food company's contest by her 8 year old son. Dismayed at the prospect, she nevertheless does her best with her lovely standard poodle, Faith. In spite of a murder, the book provides a humorous (and bitingly accurate, pardon the pun) look at the world of dog owners and competitors. Anyone who is a dog l ...more
Janet
Another strong offering by Berenson. One thing that makes these books such a good read is she never loses sight of what her characters are all about. Melanie, her friends, and her family are dog show people. No matter how convoluted the plot gets, Berenson always manages to throw in references to dog shows and usually sets at least part of the story at a dog show. Normal life does go on, even in murder mysteries.
Darinda
The 13th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie's plans to take it easy over the summer are dashed with a new murder to investigate. An enjoyable cozy mystery. Light and entertaining.
Michelle
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie's son enters her dog Faith in a contest without telling her. Of course, Faith is chosen as a finalist and, of course, one of the other finalist's owner is killed and Melanie investigates. Another good book in this dog lovers/dog show series.
Pat
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the 13th in the series and I have enjoyed each one.
Jmlwallis
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like her style of writing. She conveys a very thorough mystery plot through out her while story. The dogs are very cute. Just an all around good story.
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Faith is the finalist in a dog food contest.
Kimberly
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, fun cozy. Love the poodles!
Linda
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not as interesting as the last book.
Catherine
Nov 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series and these characters. It's awful waiting for each new book to come out because I want so badly to know what happens next and where they are going.
Deb
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was anyone else distracted/annoyed by the cover art depicting the wrong breeds? Instead of a Boxer, Scottie & Yorkie they looked like a Great Dane, Westie and a Pekinese/Persian cat cross!
Sharon Thrasher
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I do so like this author. All of her books are so good. Great writing. Great ending and a great read.
Debbie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-candy
I liked this one - especially the twist from 'show' dogs to 'showbiz' dogs.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Chow Down 1 3 Nov 15, 2012 11:37AM

• The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Catch as Cat Can (Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)
  • Twice Told Tail (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Silence of the Jams (Down South Café Mystery #2)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Two Tall Tails (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8.5; Second Chance Cat Mystery, #3.5)
  • Endangered (Kate Reid #5)
  • The Big Chili (Undercover Dish Mystery #1)
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-three Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, BITE CLUB.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fro

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)