Start by marking “Cracked (Soul Eaters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cracked (Soul Eaters, #1)

Cracked

(Soul Eaters #1)

Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the
Published April 20th 2013 by Penguin Books India (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cracked, please sign up.
Ashley Withrow No. There is romance but Meda is not involved. Chi is though. It is a small part of the plot, fits well with the story line, and in no way detracts…moreNo. There is romance but Meda is not involved. Chi is though. It is a small part of the plot, fits well with the story line, and in no way detracts from the plot. It is one of the better romances I have read within a larger story.(less)
Sophie There is swearing, but it's mostly in the narrative and less in the quotes. There are a few sexual reference, but this isn't a romance novel by any…moreThere is swearing, but it's mostly in the narrative and less in the quotes. There are a few sexual reference, but this isn't a romance novel by any stretch of the imagination and it's pretty tame in terms of sexual content compared to a lot of YA books. (less)

Lola
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just read it already. ^^
**5 ENTIRELY DESERVED AND BRIGHT STARS.**

I’m going to be VERY honest with you guys:

I want to eat this book. Nom nom.

description

I want to devour every word and every chapter slowly and taste its flavours because, if it’s as amazing as the reading was, it may be even better than pizza. Or sushi. Or ice cream… Nom nom.

Yes, believe it or not, it’s the truth.

Cracked is the most entertaining book I’ve read so far in 2014. Even more than Rebel Belle which I didn’t think possible because that book is so much fun!
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I really, really fucking hate it when a character in a book refers to a character in another book and exclaims "She's just like me!" No, beeyotch, you are not Elizabeth Bennet *snaps fingers*. No, you are not Juliet. Do you even realize how stupidly the characters in Romeo & Juliet behaved? Nuh uh. Don't you dare make that claim.

Therefore, it is with the greatest amount of shame and hypocritical horror when I found myself laughing as I read this book, "MEDA IS JUST LIKE ME." I don't know how
Navessa

Yes. Fuck yes. This was fucking awesome. How awesome, you ask? Well, the last YA book that gave me these kinds of feels was Angelfall.

THAT WAS OVER THREE YEARS AGO.

If you look at Crewe’s author page, you’ll learn that she’s an avid reader. It shows. Only a true devourer of literature would know how to avoid so many tropes and themes.

There were none in this book. At least none of the ones that piss me off. And if you know me even in the least, you know how rare that is.

This MC is an unapologet
Anne
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Kat Stark
Fuck yeah! Can I give the book 5 stars and give Meda 10?! Is that possible?
Love her. Just...
Meda..ALL THE STARS! Just take them, you snarky little bitch!
She is, hands down, the best female protagonist I have ever had the privilege to read about.
It's not that she's really evil, per say. I mean, she does sort of eat people occasionally, but most of them deserved it. *cough*
But what really impressed me was her inner dialogue. Crewe has created a young female character who thinks exactly the way I
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Paige Bookdragon
"Better to die for something you believe in than to live for nothing at all." (view spoiler)

Five times ten LMAO stars!!!

Meet Meda!

She cackles...

She hisses...

She whistles (in her head) at the sight of a perfectly toned six-pack...

She refers to teens as human larvae and to toddlers as little monsters...

She's the smartest, most unconventional, most adorably hilarious, kick-ass half-demon heroine there is...

And I absolutely LOVE her!

You would want to kno
L A i N E Y
My morality is almost a contortionist

It wasn't so much the plot as it was E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

It was the characters (oh my god Meda! [and Jo]), the writing, the humor, the adventures, the innocents and the evils. It was basically every single thing that made up one hell of an awesomely pure entertainment of a book.

» if you want to write a story about the 'chosen one', this is the way you do it. Otherwise I don't think you should bother.

» The writing was extremely refreshing, it's extremely
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Ok, hang on a minute.

Now I'm back.
This book!

Meda is a bad girl..well she sometimes is. She is human souls. Just the bad guys so relax.
I fricking loved her. I think I liked most of the characters in this book. All of them are fleshed out and are great on their own. (JO!!!) Put them all together and you have SHAZAM!!
I wanted to quote this whole book but that would stop you from reading and you so want to read it. Run don't walk to get it.

Oh and yes this:

Everytime I smell or eat popcorn for th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

"I eat souls. The packaging can be tricky, but fortunately I am blessed with special skills to pry my meals from their pesky shells. My teeth rip skin; my jaws snap bones. I am fast, lightning-fast, snuff - oh-was-that-your-life? - fast."

Holy f&*^! What did I just read?!?!?!?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Permission denied. Keep your s*&t together, Mitchell!

This soooooooo should not have been a success for Kelly and the Book Boar. YA fantasy
Robin (Bridge Four)
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Angelfall, Haters of most YA
I was just going to follow along the discussion thread at Buddies Books and Baubles but then I re-read the first chapter and screw it I'm all in again.

Buddy Read with V!cky, , Catherine, Jessica (maybe?), Kerry, Sandra, Liz, Tanya, Tandie, Sh3lly and a few stalkers to be named later when I figure out who they are sneaky stalkers and their capes

Was it as good as the first time I read it?
Well not quite - I noticed some of the silly high school stuff that a few others have mentioned.

Did I care?
Not
Liz* Fashionably Late
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA lovers looking for something different

Don't be distracted by Tommy Hanks. I'm the one in the yellow dress.

BR with my BBB's buddies.

Yep, it's true: Cracked lives up to its hype. Even though it's not perfect, Cracked kicks every YA book's ass out there that says "We're YA, we'll use the same formula, we're cool enough". Well, shame on you because Eliza Crewe knows how to write an amazing book that will help you getting out of a damn reading slump if that's what it takes.

One star is for Meda: the Ultimate Anti-heroine

Meda is a Soul Ea
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Unpopular Opinion Time.

This was a Buddy Read with Buddies Books and Baubles Group.

This book got a lot of hype and a LOT of my friends love it. I understand. This book is written well and does not have all the typical annoying YA tropes. Meda is awesome. I love the humor. I just think I am getting too old for YA. Most of the book involved going to a "school" where the up-and-coming "Crusaders" (demon hunters/killers) trained. So most of the book was about Meda trying to be in this school and not
☆☽Erica☾☆
What a fantastic book.

The story is crisp, clear, and direct. It is about a half-demon girl who discovers the secrets of her past while also managing to be fierce and hilarious. And the main character, Meda's, narration is absolutely spectacular. She combines snarkiness with vulnerability to the point of perfection. Her voice is distinct and extremely memorable. Also her friendship with the other main female character, Jo, was simply amazeballs. They are true friends that trust and care for one a
Rachel E. Carter
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5. Honestly felt like it would be a 3 for a while there, but it is definitely a 4 after that ending.

What I loved:
* Meda. So sarcastic and awesome, like Joss Whedon's Buffy on crack. I love, love, loooved her narration. I honestly am not sure I have read better sarcasm from a main character in any book. Period.
* Meda & Jo. These two. I ship them as BFF's. They are feisty brats who don't trust each other and alienate everyone around them and I just love how their friendship builds thr
Inge

I’ve heard so many good things about Cracked, I don’t know what kept me from reading it for so long. Maybe I was afraid of being the only one not to like it again, but I should’ve known that wasn’t an issue. This was every bit as amazing as everyone said it would be.

Meda eats people. No, really. She eats souls, so I guess gingers are safe from her. But she only eats the bad guys – the ones the ghosts tell her to kill. She’s half-demon. Her mother told her she was special; a special snow
Poonam
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having a dry spell with books I finally picked this one up and I am glad I did.

Meda the main protagonist came off as really creepy at the start.
"His eyes are wide and panicked, and I pause to enjoy that perfect moment when the hunter realizes he's become the hunted, when he tries to reconcile what he knows to be true with what just happened."

Meda is also devious.

"I don't want to jump in with an alternative plan- I'd rather they do it. It's usually a good idea to let other people think m
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 29/9/2014: Crushed, the sequel to this confetti of badassery has been published! Eliza went through hell and back to wrangle the rights back after her publisher folded and let me tell you, it is worth the wait. But before you can bask in its greatness, you must first taste the awesomeness that is this book.

If the mangas D-Gray Man and Soul Eater had a love-child, it would be Cracked.

Reading this book was akin to reading those first few volumes of a random Shounen manga, where the concept is
Nasom
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Better to die for something you believe in than to live for nothing at all”

Prior to starting this, I was looking to read an interesting fantasy book that was more on the lighter side and the synopsis of this seemed interesting so I decided to give it a go. I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed.

Meda was such an interesting character and I loved reading from her POV. Meda is a seventeen year old soul eater but she only targets bad people. Meda can see ghosts of innocent people who
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Book rating: 3 - Meda rating: 5

“Meet Meeda. She eats people.”

Meet Meeda. She's hilarious and snarky as hell. Her conversations to herself are just insanely funny. She is a reluctant heroine who keeps trying to manipulate people but fails miserably most of the time. Still, she does eat people (well their souls anyway) and she’s quite the butt-kicking heroine, albeit a reluctant one. Meda is possibly one of my favourite MC so far year.

The problem with Cracked is that Meda is such an overpowering
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, well, those Strange Chemistry people just keep throwing these little gems at us! It’s the only imprint that has yet to disappoint me in any way and Cracked is another one of their successes waiting to happen – funny, thought provoking, surprising and surprisingly heartbreaking, it is a great beginning to what promises to be a fabulous new series.

So many YA authors avoid taking risks at all costs, choosing to rely on tested recipes and roads well-traveled instead, but Eliza Crewe cannot be
Dilinna
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiba darling...wherever you are i am going to find you and give u a bone crushing hug!!!! That was such an awesome book....like i am still reeling...

At the beginning i felt the humour was forced and over the top but as it continued i found myself getting sucked into the whole world that made up this book. It was soo good!!! I had some little things that upset me along the way but the way the story unfolded jst made up for it...i really cant explain it because my heart is so full and happy right
Brigid
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is tired of TSTL heroines
Cracked by Eliza Crewe Review

POP THE CHAMPAGNE! or in my case tequila. What can I say, champagne is way too light for my tastes.

A heroine to root for. She'll suck your soul out. This book made my heart go "thump thump" after all the years of dead silence. I've been so tired lately of Young Adult heroines lately. So many TSTL (too stupid to live) heroines makes me want to have a bonfire. All the slut shaming and obsessions over boys and body image gets really sickening. It's so fucking refresh
Annika
description

Wow! How come I never heard of this series until a couple of days ago?
I can't believe how much fun it was to read this little masterpiece! I virtually devoured it.
I'd give it 10 stars if I could.

Meda was probably the most badass female lead I've ever encountered, and her voice was absolutely hilarious.
She's a sarcastic, self-serving, deceitful, manipulative half demon who feeds on evil humans' souls and doesn't take anyone or anything seriously because, let's face it, humans aren't exactly a mat
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
We all have encountered Vampires, Werewolves, Demons, Fairies, Valkyries, ghosts, now let's find out what is this soul eating business all about.
Seriously, what is this book?
MC sounds like Dani from Fever series.

Melanie
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Navessa
First and foremost, I have to thank Navessa for forcing my hand to read this masterpiece.

This book single handedly restored my faith in Young Adult books.
Brandi
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the people!
Shelves: favorites

I wrote a really impressive review (I'd say one of my best), and then it was eaten, so now I'm going to write a bit, but I might come back and elaborate once the sting wears off. :(

[image error]

This was the quintessential book for me: it's funny, bloody, tense, heartfelt, engrossing, entertaining, action-packed, perfectly-paced, and full of characters I can either see myself in or want to be friends with. Eliza Crewe can write! I literally have nothing bad to say about this book. Nothing annoye
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

Fun, witty, and surprisingly deep and heartfelt, this story was a page-turner from beginning to end. Meda was a character that will be impossible to forget-if not because of her devious habits, then because of her snarky and hilarious humor. A fun cast of characters makes this book easy to devour and there's no character you don't have strong feelings for.

Like any fatherless child, I've wondered about the man resp
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Jan 12, 2015 marked it as put-it-on-pause  ·  review of another edition
Paused at 30%

This book is great, it really is because Meda is one of the best heroines I've seen in a YA book. BUT I have serious problems getting into it because I have to pause it every dozen pages. First it was an ARC that I needed to review, then it was a BR, then it was another BR and then one more ARC, etc...

I'll definitely be picking it up again in the future but if I try to force it now I'll not give it the rating it deserves.

Eliza Crewe
Aug 15, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hey all,

Cracked ebook is now available on Kindle (http://amzn.to/1wxNOWc), Kobo (http://bit.ly/1xwIPIx), Barnes & Noble (http://bit.ly/YM3dGr), ibooks (http://bit.ly/1opTQ6i), and Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...)

UPDATE 4/28/2015:The print book is back up for sale: https://www.createspace.com/5385965. It will be on Amazon, too, within a few days.

• Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #2)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Black Dog (Black Dog, #1)
  • Black Beast (Shadow Thane, #1)
  • When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love)
  • Outcast
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Lilith
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • Promise of Shadows
  • Drink, Slay, Love
  • Angelbound (Angelbound Origins #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)

My Ratings:

5 stars = If I weren't taken, I'd marry this book and have its delightful little book babies.

4 stars = goin' steady (or whatever you crazy kids call it these days). So good I'd read it again.

3 stars = A great, one-time fling. I enjoyed it but it probably won't be a reread.

2 stars and below = The pretty thing didn't make it past the pick-up line. I don't rate these because I don't finis

Soul Eaters (3 books)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Crossed (Soul Eaters, #3)
“Sometimes bad things need to be reminded they're not the only ones who can bite.” 71 likes
“Like any fatherless child, I've wondered about the man responsible for the glory that is me. Needless to say, it's disappointing to learn he's the kind who'd probably eat his young.” 46 likes