Start by marking “Finding Esta” as Want to Read:

#1 Horror/Occult
#2 Science Fiction & Fantasy /Fantasy/New Adult College

Amazon.UK
#5 Horror/Occult

**Due to the hefty size of the original, Finding Esta is now split into two parts. Both are available at all good online distributors.**

Finding Esta is a paranormal mystery with an urban fantasy twist!

For Luna, each day is not about livi
Published December 19th 2012 by WordsinSync Publications

To ask other readers questions about Finding Esta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Esta

Start your review of Finding Esta
a_tiffyfit
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review to come. Book tour!

I loved how this book grasped my attention immediately. It was a puzzle to figure out as you read. What IS she? Is she a psychic? An empath? Just someone with psychometry? Is she a vampire? Why can she SMELL this person who is trailing her? Is she ever going to grow out of this infuriating meekness? As Luna stumbles her way to learning more about the Whelan family, she discovers herself. And then discovers that the new Luna is still not who she is. And stumbles upon a
Jane Geddis
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
This novel combines one the most complicated characters combined with a refreshing twist on aliens and supernatural to come into my eys in quite awhile. While I'm not a reader who minds coming across a book that reads like a good television show (predictable but engaging) my barrier for that standard is the ubiquitous Kindle buck. $2.99 is a fair price for originality. Spend it here.

Esta begins as an intensely screwed up character who can relate to know one on an intimate level and is addicted t
ERIN SCHMIDT
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I read Shah Wharton's debut novel, I'd read a few of her short stories, so I knew she was a talented storyteller. From the beginning of 'Finding Esta,' I sympathized with Luna, the heroine. Luna's a sickly early-20-something with numerous allergies, including allergies to the sun. She can't touch anything without gloves because it's so painful. Her mother and stepfather treat her awfully, not understanding her special gifts. Luna hears the spirits of the dead in her head, sees ghosts and ...more
Julie
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finding Esta by Shah Wharton is the first book in the "Supes" series. This book was released in December 2012. WorldSync in the publisher. There are 360 pages.
Luna is an empath. She has had a very difficult life. She can't be outdoors in the sun, her parents are cruel, her only friends were "Shadows" (ghost), and she is incredibly awkward socially. She is employed at a newspaper, and when a story comes to her attention that involves a family that vanished and a kidnapped child, Luna decides to l
Karon Budding
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, I thought I'd worked the plot out half way through but was thrown for a loop! Very clever and original. Fits happily on my kindle alongside Sylvia Day, Lizzie Ford and Kristie Cook.
Heidi
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Luna longs to be normal and to be loved by her parents. Unfortunately, she is far from normal, and her parents basically ignore her. Luna at least has her two shadow companions, Ada and Flo. Without them she would be truly lost. Luna is a journalist on the hunt for a great story. She receives a tip on an interesting lead from her hairdresser involving a missing child named Esta. Her family supposedly died in a mysterious and tragic fire. Luna decides to investigate, not knowing that she is about ...more
Proserpine
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit ambiguous about this story so I will do my review with what I liked and what I disliked. I don't want to write something negative, but this review is from my POV and the things I might dislike shouldn't discourage you from reading it! Something I didn't like, might be something you like!

What I liked about this book:

The story itself was quite entertaining and refreshing in its own kind of way.
We all have read about ghosts, vampires, aliens, werewolves (...) stories, so there's nothing s
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/06/finding-esta-blog-tour-review-finding.html

Finding Esta is a story that follows a young woman named Luna. She is an empath who tries her best not to get into contact with people. The only friends she has are dead and one resides in her head. They are ghosts, well Shadows. The one in her head named Flo uses her as a host. Luna is a journalist and hears about a cold case that would make a great story for the newspaper. Luna may be fa
Lynelle Clark
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting well written plot with as many twist and turns that it was sometimes hard to stay on track. This was by far a very exhausting book to read. No time to relax and just enjoy as evil, lies and truths are discovered from page to page. Never ending and I wondered how the poor woman could still stay sane through out all the never ending changes in her life.
Luna Dukes already suffering from abuse as a child under her parents hands, just wants to be touched and loved by them, accepted. A
Cynthia HALL
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, well-written tale, Finding Esta is a modern-day Gothic tale of a young woman who’s been victimized her entire life. Beaten, called horrendous names, sent to a strange doctor who performed tests on her, ridiculed, mocked and outright hated–all of this by her very own parents–Esta grows up as a young woman who wants her parents to love her. Her tenacity in attempting to find favor with her evil parents carries through to her job as a reporter.

Author Shah Wharton has such a beautiful w
Home. Love. Books.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
To read this review and others like it check out my site at www.ufreviews.com

Finding Esta was an interesting read. I thought there were some elements that made the book unique and enjoyable and some elements that I personally thought needed a bit of work.

Luna as a character has a rather disturbing history, and you can't help but to feel sorry for her and what she has gone through. But it is her history that makes her who she is and provides some sense to why she is the way she is and why she d
Christine Rains
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luna's only friends are the Shadows inside her mind. She has no one else, and her parents hate her. Struggling to get through each day, she decides to do a story on a cold case about the disappearance of a girl named Esta. Her investigation leads not only to Esta's past, but the hidden world of supernaturals. Luna's already fragile mind threatens to break with every shocking new things she learns. Her discoveries might be too much for her, but if she can face the truth, her life might have more ...more
Thomas Winship
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Finding Esta, Shah Wharton introduces Luna, a young reporter beset by abusive parents, Shadows, and a seeming slew of physical infirmities … yet armed with an innate goodness and an inexhaustible well of determination.

Prompted by her hairdresser—of all people! some might say … but we all know how persuasive people brandishing sharp objects can be—Luna plunges headfirst into a decades-old missing person case. Little does she know that the case will have a far reaching impact on her own life. I
Michelle
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read for me. I had a hard time keeping up in the beginning because there was alot of information the author was trying to present. About 1/4 of the way through the book it finally clicked for me and I just couldn't put it down. This book has a mix of everything Twlight fans enjoy, you have the vampires, weres and a love story with someother new twist thrown in that are truly unique.
Luna is someone who always felt that she didn't quite fit in. She can't tolerate sunlight an
Kristy Centeno
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again I am extremely glad that I had the opportunity to pick up yet another New Adult novel because they only seem to keep getting better and better. I mean, I really thought I had this story all figured out and then everything changes and I’m thrown into a complete loop. I wasn’t expecting the amount of twist in this story, but after reading through the whole story I came to appreciate how unique and fantastic it was.

I love it when an author thinks outside the box. Stories like these are
OrchardBookClub
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot of this paranormal story was easy enough to follow. In reading a few other reviews, I saw that some people found it difficult to stay into the twists and turns; however, I felt that it all flowed really well. Luna is an empath who uses her newfound talents to look for a kidnapped child. In doing so, she learns a lot about herself. Luna finds herself in being able to communicate with supernatural spirits. I think this book holds a lot of potential for a lot of different readers. It’s abo ...more
Pat aka Tygyr
While I found the story engaging, the constant misuse of the words "prophecy" and "Prophesy" had me putting the book down frequently in constant frustration. For the record and to all authors - "Prophecy" is a noun. It is always a noun, a thing, and NEVER a verb! "Prophesy" is a verb. It is an action verb. It is never a noun. One prophesies prophecies. Never ever the reverse!
There I feel much better after my little rant.
Luna is a sad, fascinating, and evolving main character. She is picking her
Kathlyn La
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a stunning novel of self discovery and a lots of stuff. So many twist, I found this book adventurous to read. I got hooked with the story. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I can't wait to see how things would turn out for Esta.
Diane
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received a copy to read and review. I loved it. I couldn't put it down. It's an amazing tale. Love the plot. Look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Paul
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this character and the story. This is my first review and I have more than 500 books under my belt. This book is just great and I can't wait for the sequel.
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rar, 2014
**I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review (NA book club), Goodreads.com**

This book had a fantastic story however I found parts of it confusing. There was a good mix of paranormal, fantasy and NA, giving us a fantastic and detailed story that would appeal to almost everyone. The characters were well written allowing us to connect with them from page one as well as creating an in depth profile of their lives before the book started.

The main character is Luna,
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
fresh paranormal with twists and turns all the way! I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour, which you can find at Donnie Darko Girl. In Finding Esta, Luna has grown up with cruel parents who have never shown her love and aren't proud of her for anything - including her job as a journalist. When she decides to travel away from home to investigate a cold case, she has no idea just how much this decision will impact her life. The beginning was s ...more
Margaux Espinosa
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
*Received copy in return for honest review*

I'm just going to trow out my opinion of this novel in now format or professional manner what so ever, cause that's how I feel like rolling today. I really enjoyed this read, the author Shah Wharton did a great job with a new twist on paranormal entities being aliens, so super awesome, enjoyable, and captivating. I love paranormal reads and started to get a bit bored of the same ole same ole, so this was really refreshing to me.

I did however feel as
Leslee Anderson
Received for a honest review

Poor Luna is a "troubled" young lady searching for acceptance. Her family is horrible and her friends are dead. Wow that explains part of her "troubles".

I found the characters at times dry, however I'm wondering if that has to do more with my lack of understand of the dialect. I didn't quite get some of the terminology so that could be my barrier. I did love Luna and Flo's relationship. Their banter was entertaining. Abby I felt sorry for his misguided life
Jannat Bhat
This was a pretty good read for me. I had a hard time keeping up in the beginning because there was alot of information the author was trying to present. It started off a little slow for me, but picked up once Luna left to investigate the story of a missing child Esta.
This book has a mix of everything Twlight fans enjoy, you have the vampires, weres and a love story with some other new twist thrown in that are truly unique.

Luna is someone who always felt that she didn't quite fit in. She can't
Trisha
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I'm not one to give spoilers, so I will try to be as ambiguous as I can.

So, first I'd like to talk about the main character, Luna. Luna was a very likeable character, but I'm not going to lie, there were times where I would make frustrated motions in what she did at times. The other characters; Abby...I LOVE HIM, Flo and Ada? I ADORED THEM.

Now, to the writing; I'm not sure if it was just me, but I did see some grammatical errors, but they weren't something that will deter you from the story. Bec
☺~Tina~☺
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, aliens
Luna has a hard life. Her parents hate her and they do nothing to hide the fact. She has a sun allergy. She is also and empath and had to walk around covered from head to toe to avoid the sun and touch.

I started out really liking the story. I like when the heroine is the underdog and then comes out on top. I was loving it until Luna is assign to find Esta. I thought please don't let this be this predictible. Once she was on the scene in the house, this is where the story lost me for like 20 or
Bob
Aug 26, 2017
Ann
Sep 23, 2013
Shah Wharton is a British freelancer and author of dark fiction.
BSc(Hons) Psychology (1999)
Masters in Creative Writing (2018)

Tweet: @shahw1

Please subscribe to her blog for up to the minute information, discounts and freebies - http://shahwharton.us4.list-manage.co... and do get in touch!

The Universal link to her Amazon author page: http://author.to/ShahWharton