Start by marking “Something Like Winter (Something Like, #3)” as Want to Read:
Something Like Winter (Something Like, #3)

Something Like Winter

(Something Like #3)

There are two sides to every story. When you’re Tim Wyman, sometimes there are three.

Tim hoped moving to Texas would mean a new beginning, a chance to spread his wings, but he soon finds himself falling into the same tired patterns. Until he meets recklessly brave Benjamin Bentley. Suddenly a whole new world opens up to Tim—love, sex, warmth… home. Certain that society wo
Published November 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published July 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Something Like Winter, please sign up.
Chris I do not believe so; This was a good companion novel to "Something Like Summer", but not a stand alone novel by any means. Definitely part of a…moreI do not believe so; This was a good companion novel to "Something Like Summer", but not a stand alone novel by any means. Definitely part of a series.(less)

Julio Genao
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: AnnaLund
compassion.

description

What a wise man Jay Bell must be.

Also good at writing books that leave me utterly destroyed, listlessly thumbing through photo galleries of natural disasters, hoping for the moment my angstplosion is put into a more manageable perspective.

I don't understand all the railing and hissing for Tim's character in Something Like Summer.

I never did.

Love can be desperate. Love doesn't always win over fear.

It never wins over death at all.

***

My mother found out I'd been sneaking the love of my l
Judith
4.5

I'm not apologizing for fangirling again here.I've read this and book one back to back and have absolutely loved the writing,the characters,the angst,the feelings.This Author's writing just pushed all my buttons.You know when something works for you,when you're glued to your kindle and cannot wait to get back to the story.

A companion novel to Something Like Summer but it's so much more than that.This isn't just the same story from a different POV.It takes the reader into Tim's world,his thoug
Breann

“Why couldn't people's insides match their outsides? The world would be such a wonderful place if the nicer someone was, the more beautiful they became.”

K.C. Beaumont
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Up until now, Something Like Summer has been, hands down, my favorite book. Something Like Winter now shares that same spot (you should see it, Winter clings to Summer like a baby chimp to its mama—it's adorable). Winter has everything I loved about Summer: sweet romance; real, complicated love; searching for acceptance; and fighting for what you want. It also gave me something I wanted so badly in Summer: the chance to be in Tim Wyman's head.

I'll be honest and say Tim made me growl more than on
Susan
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it

I just...can't! I can't muster it. I can't gather it up and have it take flight. Nope. Still no Tim-Love.

Odd thing is, I did want he and Ben to end up together eventually. I DID! But that's more about my NEED for a HEA then any affection towards Tim at all.

See, Tim...he's kinda...selfish? No? And really, weak and foolish? And a little bit mean and dishonest? And I can totally see why people love him as this "broken" character. I just...can't forgive his actions.

Granted, Winter helped
Sheri
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The ship has sailed.
Team Tim’s fan boat is out to sea, and I’m left sitting on the dock. I shook my frustrations best I could. It was exactly one year ago when I first met Tim, so I assumed sufficient time had passed to allow my emotions to simmer down.
I was wrong, so very wrong.
The timeline nearly matches the first book, with an extra peek into Tim Wyman’s life before Ben’s collision into his life and a lovely looksee as to what happened after ‘Summer’ ends. It was helpful watching things un
Ben
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jay Bell has cojones, as a particular granny in this book might say. It was no small risk to tinker with what is arguably the most beloved gay romance ever (I speak of Something Like Summer, of course). Even a sequel, if it were a stinker, could've been swept under the rug, as so many sequels are. But writing a companion that revisits the original story (and potentially sours us on it) was a bold move. As thrilled as I was to read it, part of me was nervous!

Pfft, I shouldn't have been nervous. J
Leo
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is what i've been waiting since I finished his "brother-book" Something Like Summer. And is better to read SLS first to understand this one better (and suffer a whole lot more), making it one of my favorite books ever, it was heartbreaking but that made it even better.

Yeah, this book makes me suffer. It was all I needed to know after finishing SLS. The book takes almost the same time that the other one, this just start a few weeks earlier and ends a couple of years latter. Nothing was left
Jenre
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
Before I start, I want to mention that this review will possibly contain spoilers for Something Like Summer. Those of you who have not read that first book yet, then I suggest you read it first as I think it's important to get Ben's take on events before we get Tim's, although some readers may disagree with me on that one!

As it says above, Something Like Winter is a companion novel to Something Like Summer which I reviewed here. It takes the story and turns it around so that we see everything fr
DaisyGirl
4.5 Stars

This was a wonderful companion story to Something Like Summer. It covers the same time frame (plus a little more) but it's told from Tim's POV. As much as I enjoyed this story, in retrospect, I wish that I had taken a bit of a respite between books 1 and 2. It was draining. The roller coaster that is Tim and Ben is tough to experience back-to-back. Despite the areas of overlap (which was to be expected), there were a lot of new developments that weren't explored in Ben's story ... so, t
Cory
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this just as much as I did the first!! I like Tim more as well. Trust me, he did some stupid shit, but he did it for love so I guess I can give him a break.

This book ties together some pieces that were missing from book 1 since it's from Tim's POV. We get to see him grow and mature from how he was in the Something Like Summer.

This book was still as messy as the first book. That's my best way to describe it in that life happens and life isn't always pretty and wrapped up in a neat bow.
Salsera1974
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review will assume that you have read Something Like Summer, the first book in this series.

So now, we know. Tim Wyman loved Ben Bentley. He loved him deeply. He loved him secretly. He loved him completely. He loved him fearfully. He loved him sacrificially. He loved him immaturely. He truly loved him, for the most part, exclusively. And yet, for too long, he loved him inadequately. He loved him openly and honestly far too late. And it was this last flaw that was Tim's undoing, and the trage
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧

I ♥ Tim & Benjamin

Something like winter...Perfect, cuz, winter is my favorite time of the year.

This is TIM'S STORY....AND I HEART TIM...

Book 2 , Something like winter, is similar to something like summer, but we get the chill of the winter season here.

Ok...

Remember, what happen under the Christmas light's , yeah..you know...when Ben opened his eyes...remember, in book 1...when Tim was doing the you know what to Ben ?

Yes, the yummiest, Christmas Smexy scene ever!

Winter...gotta, love it...ok
Sara
When I found out Tim was getting a book; I had a few emotions. I was happy, I was scared and I was so unsure how it would go. Talk about the talent of Jay Bell for delivering a sequel that is completely it's own book and not an instant replay of what happened in Something Like Summer. This, THIS is how you tell a story from the other perspective, this is how you once again tear my heart out in the best way possible.

After Something Like Summer, yeah, I was curious about what was going on in Tim'
June Helmsley
Oh. Fuck. YES.

I will read this book so hard it will have trouble walking for a goddamn week. You hear me? A WEEK!

I would bitch slap a bustle of boy scouts for a copy of this book. And that's not an exaggeration. That is a FACT.

THANK YOU JAY BELL FOR BEING THE NORSE GOD OF FUCK YES.
AnnaLund
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who use their brains
I have been sitting on this for a while now.
First, it took quite some time to get into the action seeing it all from Tim's side. I have problems with people who are untruthful, and Tim? He doesn't even tell the truth to himself.
Second, I was still angry with Tim from the last book, Something Like Summer, and I had to come to terms with that.
Third, it is a very hard book to sum up. At least, if you want to make a good job of it. And I do.
So here's me trying my best.

I loved it. Bet you didn't e
Sara
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
The soul he had managed to capture a glimpse of on canvas had gone home

For the love of jebus, if you have yet to read the book do NOT read the spoilers!

Ooops he did it again.. Another blubberfest for me this one.

This is Something Like Summer told from Tim's POV, we get the whole story from the other perspective which is a lovely novelty. A lot of things we were made to believe in SLS was things misunderstood from Ben's point of view. I didn't feel the same affection towards Tim as I had for Ben
Madison Parker

Thank you, Jay, for giving us Tim's story. In some ways, this was a difficult read for me, because I knew when the sad parts were coming, but pressed on through the tears. It felt so much more heart-breaking this time around, now that I had a deeper understanding of why Tim made the choices he had. Even when reading Something Like Summer, I always felt sympathetic towards Tim. He was a jerk at times, but I knew underneath it all, he really loved Benjamin. I knew there was more to his story than
Connie
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Something Like Winter is one of those books that makes me wish my English was better and I could be more articulate and eloquent about it.
As it stand, I will do my best with what I have.
When I read Something Like Summer, it feels like a lifetime ago, was one of the first M/M books I ever read. I remember liking it, I remember Ben & Jace's love story and wanting them to be together till the end.
Ben's book was a romance, pure and simple.
Now Tim's book was so much more!
Something Like Winter is
Leo Lopes
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-ya
DNF at 75% of the book.

See, I read Something Like Summer and enjoyed a bit, though the ending sucked. I bought this copy in hopes of liking Tim a bit more but the hatred only intensified. This is probably the first book I'm giving up on so close to the ending (less than 100 pages away), but really, I just had no interest in knowing what Tim did and how he dealt with his supposed heartbreak. For all I care, he could die and that wouldn't be enough. I've already returned this through Amazon, and
Brian
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Tim Wyman is an ass.

That was my first reaction to one of the main characters in Jay Bell's Something Like Summer , the novel that preceded Something Like Winter. Spoiled, selfish, and impetuous are all words that came to mind when reading about Tim and his antics throughout much of that book. But despite all of that, Tim is a loveable ass, one who redeems himself several times over. In Something Like Winter, Bell gives the reader much more insight into Tim's life and why he did the things he di
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Oct 23, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012, m-m
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rate this. I was really excited to read it because of how much I loved Something Like Summer. And because I loved that book, and anything extra having to do with that book is a bonus, I liked this book.

But on its own merits, this book was very disappointing. It felt rushed and thrown together, and I didn't feel that the character of Tim was redeemed at all. Not having his POV in Something Like Summer, I was able to give him the benefit of the doubt. But
Riina Y.T.
♥ `•..• ♥ º ☆..•`♥ Tim, my dearest, first love. ♥ `•..• ♥ º ☆..•`♥

Having just read Spring I had to come back and read Winter, again. (And again 17/7/14)

I never left a proper review because my words will never do this story and characters any justice and I'd hate to ruin a single thing with my nonsense. Either way I have to say that....

Something Like Summer… was my first and so were Ben and Tim, and you know what they say about firsts ….

I discovered Summer in late summer '13, late I know, but it
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Breann
This booked packed a 5 star punch right from the beginning. Wow! I knew it would be painful to revisit these characters in this sequel to Something Like Summer but I didn't realize how painful it would be. The story was so full of angst, lost opportunitites for gaining self-respect, unfulfilled and unrequited love, emotion, emotion and more emotion.

Yet, I loved it. It was so much better than I thought it would ever be. We get to see Tim's perspective and watch him struggle with his love for Ben
Stephane
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a tour de force! Jay Bell retold the story we all know from 'Something Like Summer' from Tim's perspective and in a genial way, made it as good and as absorbing a book as the first one! Emotions run high here, true love is at stake and in the end you get the best gay love story I ever read.. Let me correct myself, 'Something Like Winter' elevates it to a true gay fairy tale that you'll want to believe in and be a part of!
Nic
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book follows Something Like Summer and is the story from Tim's point of view. Once again it is an emotional journey that provides insight into Tim and the choices he made. Some of Tim's actions, as told in the first book, are viewed in a totally different light and I found myself once again a supporter and hoping for the HEA he deserved! Lots of frustration and tears but also lots of love in this story.
Jayson James
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-of-age
It was nice getting to spend time with Ben Bentley and Tim Wyman again. Although I liked Tim from Something Like Summer, reading the story from his point of view made me adore him more. I found myself bawling my eyes out many times while reading and hoping the two of them would fall in love and live happily ever after. I enjoyed seeing how Jay told the story from a different perspective. It was amazing to see just how different the story unfolded and progressed seeing life through Tim.
Jenni
After I read Something Like Summer last year, I was a hostile, angry mess. I couldn't believe the outcome; it was my first experience reading a book where I actually liked the writing but hated one of the main characters. So imagine my reaction when the BioB team got the challenge to read the second book in the series, which, as it turns out, is in Tim's POV, the very MC I despised from SLS.

Something Like Winter starts out just before Tim moves to Texas, and follows him from his time with Ben,
Melissa
In the first book, I had a hard time liking Tim at some points... I wasn't sure if there was a way for Tim to redeem himself for some of the things that happened in Something Like Summer but man was I wrong...

I'm so incredibly glad that Mr. Bell wrote this story to give us Tim's side of things. I loved being able to see what happened to him in the periods that he wasn't around in the other book and to see how he viewed everything.

It's easy for someone to tell you to come out and to keep pressur
Runell
This is a companion novel to Something Like Summer, and though I really, really liked Something Like Summer, I loved Something Like Winter. My biggest issue with the first novel is that I really didn't understand Tim and why he acted the way he did, or why he did the things that he did. And though I ended up liking Tim by the end of the book, I thought for the biggest part of the novel that he was a douchebag.

In Something Like Summer, you learn Ben's story; in Something Like Winter, you learn T
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2)
  • The Cranberry Hush
  • Mourning Heaven
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Kieran & Drew
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • What Binds Us
  • Another Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #2)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Every Time I Think of You
Jay Bell never gave much thought to Germany until he met a handsome foreign exchange student. At that moment, beer and pretzels became the most important thing in the world. After moving to Germany and getting married, Jay found himself desperate to communicate the feelings of alienation, adventure, and love that surrounded this decision, and has been putting pen to paper ever since.

Something Like (9 books)
  • Something Like Summer (Something Like, #1)
  • Something Like Autumn (Something Like, #2)
  • Something Like Spring (Something Like, #4)
  • Something Like Lightning (Something Like, #5)
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
  • Something Like Hail (Something Like, #8)
  • Something Like Rain (Something Like, #9)
  • Something Like Forever (Something Like... #11)
“Some ghosts haunt you for life. The best you can do is make room on the couch and get used to living with them.” 24 likes
“What’s it say about a person when they know they have a problem but never do anything to fix it?” Eric smiled. “That they’re human.” 11 likes