Start by marking “Yorick” as Want to Read:
Yorick

Yorick

Poor Roberta. She's aging, has lost everyone she's ever loved, and now she lives out her sad, lonely days feeding on bad convenience store food and faded memories of happier times. She wants nothing more than to join her loved ones in the afterlife, but then a gruesome discovery along the banks of the Merrimack River changes everything. Roberta knows she'll never be alone ...more
Published October 28th 2012 by Lucid Dream Press (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Yorick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yorick

Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
A lonely older woman finds companionship in a dead skull. Carrying it around with her, talking to it and eventually committing acts to help it return to it's former self.

With her extreme feeling of loneliness Roberta is a woman that the reader will end up pitying and feeling sorry for. But with her unusual way of making a friend is somewhat humorous and more than once comment "what does she think she's doing?"

I had a blast reading this story. It was a really quick read, but I found it quirky,
Christopher Obert
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: friends, read-2013
Who would think that this kind and sweet little old lady could be part of such a twisted and horrific tale? It all begins with a remarkable find along the banks of the Merrimack River. Little did Roberta know that her new-found “friend” would change her lonely life. But will that change be good for everyone or just for Yorick?
Chimene
If you are a fan of short, snappy horror with a dash of humour to compliment it, then you must read Yorick.
I was invited by Mr Vaslyn to read the first chapter or so to see if I would be interested in reading and reviewing it. One of the things I distinctively remember thinking as I read the first paragraph was: Where on earth is the author going to take this?! But that sold it. I was so intrigued and pulled in by Vaslyn’s descriptions and punchy introduction, I found myself compelled to find ou
G. Munson
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yorick was a cool and quick read. The premise is oddly interesting: an elderly woman (Roberta) digs up a telepathic skull named Yorick who becomes her new best friend. Of course, Yorick is not interested in making friends...he just wants his body back.
He convinces Roberta to do increasingly bizarre things to try and make himself whole again. I really enjoyed watching her go a bit mad through it all, and the tale is good, creepy fun. The first paragraph threw me off completely, but once I sorted
Book-reader
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the greatest first sentences of a novel that I read in a long time - it's a trick, but one that pays off honestly. The book doesn't live up to that first jolt of energy, mostly because the main character grows too cartoonish by the end to engender much sympathy, and the book doesn't reach the tragic levels it seems to seek. (You call a book Yorick, you've got a lot to live up to!) Still, I kept reading. While this is not as good as Vaslyn's first book, he is a good, promising horror write ...more
Kate Hicks
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
First off let me say that I have received this book and a Goodreads First read. And I am glad I did! The book was an enjoyable even though it was relatively short. I believe the story has a bit Stephen King and a bit Poe to the feel to it. I does take a while to warm up to the main character but once you do it leaves you turning page after page just finding out what happens next. The story defiantly has that what is real and what isn't kind of feel to it. I have finished the book but I will defi ...more
Dale
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Yorick, author Vlad Vaslyn gives us a well-crafted tale of the macabre. His deft handling of the creepy story of a lonely old woman and her new find ranges from pathos to terror. He brings the characters to life and presents the wonderful unsettled feeling we look for in a good horror yarn. The suspense remains throughout, a tight balance that delivers as it should.

Fans of the work of Stephen King will love this eerie little book, and will never look at a muddy riverbank the same way again.
Jakkob
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great quick read. I found several parts of the story extremely funny! After reading another Vaslyn book I was expecting a darker read, but I was surprised the way this one turned out.
It does have a little of the classic Poe or Lovecraft feel to it, or maybe Bradbury in one of his darker tales.
The characters were still developed in this short (under 100 page) story, and it triggered memories of some relatives who have passed on. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Ursula Wong
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to "get away"
Yorick is dark, fun, and oddly compelling. Take a walk with Roberta along a muddy riverbank in Lowell, Massachusetts. Dig in the muck and find what she finds. Meet her new friend. Ponder their dilemma and come to the same irrevocable conclusions as they do, while those annoying visitors keep coming to the door.

Rest assured that your week has to have been better than hers.

Ursula Wong
Lara Polk
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writer very detailed - actually your mind plays it out like a movie when you are reading it. I liked the book, it is not for all - but for those who can read it and take it. I would have never believed the ending if I had not finished it. Those "old ladies" need to be watched out for - LOL.
Vykki
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twisted
This was a great horror tale. I recommend this to anyone who loves horror stories. The old lady was a hoot. I won this book on Goodreads. Thank you
Stacey
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick read, and a fun and intriguing tone to the book. Satisfying!
Todd Wheeler
Jorge Hdez
rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2019
Vlad Vaslyn
Oct 17, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Autumn Is Azathoth
Larry Holshu
Allan Barnes
Holly
Nov 16, 2012
Vlad Vaslyn (a.k.a. Vlad V.) is the author of The Button, Yorick, and Brachman's Underworld. His most recent stories, "Toon Time" and "The Somethings," appeared in Insanity Tales III: Seasons of Shadow in June 2017 (The Storyside Press). His novella “Float,” appeared in Insanity Tales II: The Sense of Fear in October 2015 (Books & Boos Press). His novella THE SLEEP ARTIST was published in Insa ...more