Start by marking “The Hermit” as Want to Read:
The Hermit

The Hermit

There are some things you just can’t live without.

About the Story

When Dr. Ryan Wallace retreats to the Alaskan wilderness to find peace with his past, the last thing he expects is to stumble across a broken woman barely clinging to life.

As he watches her fight her way back from hell, his own problems begin to pale in comparison. When she returns to her world, he finally
Published October 11th 2012 by What Shayne Wants

To ask other readers questions about The Hermit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hermit

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
2.5 Stars

This novella is both ugly and beautiful. It deals with a very difficult subject matter delivering a beautiful message of how even the most broken can be repaired through mutual healing, love and hope. The idea for the story is very original.

I liked the story but I didn't connect with the characters, probably due to the shortness of the novella. The interaction between the hero and the heroine seemed too cheesy for me. For a broken man, the hero was just a bit too perfect and sweet.

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
My friend Erika Recommended this book, and I figured that it would be a quick good read as me and Erika have similar taste. This book blew me away. OMG this book was raw, emotional, so very touching and beautiful. I loved this book. It is one of those books that sticks with you and you'll be thinking about it for weeks. This book shows you a real look at dark evil, souls with scars, and the beauty of healing with love. So moving. I am glad I read this book. I will be looking up other books by th ...more
Alp
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alp by: Shireen Hakani
4.5/5

Such an emotional and poignant read.

The author knows how to come up with a moving plot that captured me right from the first page to the last. I felt tons of emotions while reading this book. The Hermit was a heart-rending yet beautiful story of two broken souls who brought light into each other’s life and finally found peace and love in each other.

Daphne Pierce used to have her happy life, until three scumbags ambushed her and ripped it all away from her. After surviving hell, she could ne
Kirsten
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
For such a short read, this still packed an emotional punch.

While camping in the Alaskan wild, three awful men come across Daphne and her husband. They kill her other half, and then take Daphne to a cave where over the next couple years they commit unimaginable and horrific acts to her.

She does escape, yet is barely alive. Luckily a man finds her and attempts to patch her up. Ryan has been living alone on the mountain for years as a hermit in hopes of escaping his past.

This was a story about co
Erika
I read this just last week but somehow I must have accidentally deleted my review. ARGH!

Anyway......5 STARS ALL THE WAY! AMAZING book!!

This was a beautiful love story. A story of hope, love and healing. The hero, Ryan, was one of the best heroes I have ever read about. His tender care of Daphne and his everlasting support blew my mind. The heroine, Daphne, was one of the strongest I have ever read about. What she went through is beyond anything any other heroine I have read about experienced. I
Barbara➰
So, I think this is going to be a case of it's me and not you. This book did not really work for me romance wise. While Ryan is absolutely perfect in the way he takes care of Daphne, I just did not feel that they were actually in love with each other. TO ME, it felt more like she was just in hero worship and he wanted to protect her from all hurt because he failed to do that with his woman and child in the past. Don't get me wrong, I think they did love each other but it was all because of circu ...more
Amber Rose
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing job Shayne McClendon. She captures her characters in such a great way in this book. Absolutely loved it. Very hard to put down. So glad I can just lay in bed all morning and finish this in one seating.

Daphne accompanies her husband Stephen to Alaska on one his projects. She is a pushover always wanting to make everyone else happy before she puts her self first. But then she wakes up the next day and her whole world is ripped away from her. She is taken and brutalized raped for 2 years.
Rachel
Overall rating: 3.5 stars!

Triggers: (view spoiler)
Amber
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't often give five stars, so this novella was excellent! I devoured THE HERMIT in a few hours, even with my kiddos bugging me. The story pulled me in, and I didn't want to stop reading! The story and characters are well-developed for such a short book. THE HERMIT is a darker read than many I like. The two main characters have both gone through hell - true hell on earth. The extreme circumstances that brought this couple together may not have been believable if the writing wasn't so good! Th ...more
Wendy
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a read!!!

I'm not sure how to express the emotional turmoil I had while reading this book. I really wish I knew how to do those picture things, because sometimes words just don't say enough.
This book had me pounding my fist on the arm of the chair, biting about 4 layers of skin off of my two pointer finger nails while alternating with the lip biting. I honestly have no idea why it took me this long to get to this book.
Ryan and Daphne are amazing and so well attuned to eachother. This book
PJ
After suffering long-term, horrific and shocking treatment at the hands of probable in-breds and definite psychos, Daphne finally collapses in the woods after escaping her captors. She is found by extreme loner Ryan, who has reasons for extreme measures at escaping society. This is the story of what happens when two people, in desperate need of healing, find that tender solace in each other.

5 well-deserved stars to the author for her amazing empathy in bringing to life these two damaged and los
Caz Malpas
4.5 SHOCKINGLY GOOD STARS

This was a short story, but by god it had a hell of a dark deep storyline, I read it this afternoon, I couldn't put it down. Both the H and h meet, both having endured horrific events, and although it affects them greatly, they deal with it in such a way you are just in awe of how strong they both are. I loved it and will be reading more from this author in the future.
Lindsey
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-freebies
Wow! I was so very very happily surprised by this book! I was not expecting this to be so good, but It was great! I absolutely adored Ryan. He is was just amazing. Daphne was an excellent heroine. I usually love angst, but this book didn't need it. Honestly I just really enjoyed this book. Well done Shayne McClendon, I loved the writing and these characters.

Amazon freebie 1/12/13
Pam Godwin
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-romance
It's a token of how magically written this is that you end up enjoying this book despite the gobs of heavy, unsettling emotion crammed in so few pages. You'd have to reach for a horror novel to match the level of hell inflicted on this poor heroine. Thankfully, Ms McClendon doesn't take you through the nightmare as it happens. Rather, she begins the story with the hero stumbling upon the barely alive woman in the Alaskan wilderness.

This is a precariously balanced plot because you want the roman
Katerina
This was a book I found difficult to put down.
Despite its shortness I couldnt find a single thing missing here.
One sentence in the first chapter developed such a hard pull, I had a hard time putting this down! It simply grabbed me and didnt let me go...
The characters are well developed and I felt for them almost instantly...both are survivors from the cruel and horrible things that happened to them.
Both realize through the course of time that they finally found their missing piece to make them w
Angel **Book Junkie**
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
****************** Stats **********************
Hero : 5 Heroine : 5 Peak Factor:5 Plot:5 Writing:5
**********************************************
Overall Star rating: 5

Oh my! I absolutely loved this short book. It had me hooked on the edge of my seat for the entire hour and a half it took me to read the book. I felt for the characters I cried with them through the good times and the bad. I will never understand how people can be so cruel but Shayne McClendon does a great job of making you feel as
Barb Johnson
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it

***(spoiler)*** ok this book was good to a point. Unfortunately I have read a very similar story of this recently. Biggest part that bugged me was how easily the woman was able to have intimacy and orgasm and sex and enjoy it after such horrid ordeal. I feel the book could have been better and longer with that part better dealt with. But all in all. Dr Wallace is a great character!
~ Cariad ~
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Following the absolutely tragic first half which had in tears over and over was a beautiful little piece of heaven in the second half - WOW! Well worth taking a chance on if you're looking for an Alaskan survival story with a great HEA.
Hollie
Unique read

This was an emotionally packed read. And it was a plot I had not seen done before. It was very refreshing. A total page turner. Glad I read this and I will look for more of this writer's work.
Dusti Hanrahan
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful story of healing and new beginnings and love.
When you feel like living hurts more than dying, your inner strength can and will prevail if you let it.
I look forward to reading more from SM.
Sandra
4.5 well earned stars.

Wow. Just. Wow.

I fell in love with Ryan so many times, I can't even tell you.

What a heartbreaking story yet a story so full of love and caring and compassion.
Lindsay
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2017, 2017
I went into this book after having my heart ripped out by the same author (previous book I read). I wasn’t hesitant to read another once since a) I’m addicted to her books and b) I’ve loved almost all the others…but this one wasn’t screaming at me. Weird, right? Well…I decided to start it…not intending to read it in one sitting. But that’s exactly what happened. AND I DON’T REGRET A MINUTE OF IT.

This book is hands down my favorite. I know, it’s probably a weird choice. Daphne went through some
Kelly
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
First off, this book has some very dark themes. Torture, sexual torture, a woman who survives by sheer force of will and her journey to battle back from that dark, dark place she was taken to. It's not for the faint of heart. That said, I think author Shayne McClendon did a really outstanding job of capturing Daphne's fear and pain as she fights to pull herself together again.

It's not pretty, but neither were the things that were done to her.

As far as other characters go, Ryan has also had a tou
Jenny
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So . . . the lovely Shayne offered this free over the weekend and I was happy to snag it up late last night. I had read the reviews, and the Synop many times but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I finished her other short story, Being Delightful while nursing my newborn at 5am this morning. I should NOT have started it . . . of course, I couldn't stop. It isn't a book you can put down.

You may consider this a SPOILER . . .

This is story is rough. No, this is down right heart wrenching. I was hyster
J
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really a 4.5 stars. This is a wonderful short book about a former doctor who has taken to living in the wilds of Alaska because he just doesn't feel like he belongs in regular civilization any more after the things he did and saw in the military. One day during a camping trip away from his cabin, he finds a woman in the snow. The woman has obviously been brutalized and starved and looks very close to death. He rescues her and takes her back to his cabin.

At the cabin, he tries to comfort her as b
Miss Rail
I'm not exactly sure about my rating for this book but it's definitely closer to a 3 stars read than a 2.

---------->>
**Trigger Alert**
Daphne, the heroine, is abducted, held in captivity and raped for 2 years.
---------->>

Daphne's rescue and Riley's character are written beautifully.
Riley is PERFECT with her from the first to the last page.
Buuuuut.....
(view spoiler)
Crystal Marie
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No matter how much you try to distance yourself from people, there is always that one person who can break through your walls. Ryan had erected walls around his life, afraid to get close to people for his reasons. Daphne was scared of everything, including Ryan. Being held captive and tortured for years, she didn’t know what to expect. Through his patience, Ryan was able to help her heal, but she also helped heal him as well.

This book was amazingly powerful in so many different ways. The streng
Marla
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first story I read from this author but it will not be the last.
Awesome survirors story with an amazing concept. The story catches you from the first page till the last.
This story for me it was a five star. The writting I believe it could be much better so it was a three stars for me.
That's how I came with the four stars.

Spoiler Alert from here on!!!! Don't read if you haven't read the book yet!!!

I found myself saying many times, Realy?! while reading this story. The writing at some
Trixie
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shayne has done again. She has used her words to take me on a journey. A beautiful heart-wrenching book. Shayne tells the tale of two damaged souls, one of a man who suffers such emotional anguish that he needs to seclude himself and one of a woman, who has been physically and emotionally abused in the worst way possible. They find each other and the healing begins. You can't help but fall in love with Ryan, his sadness and controlled emotion is at times overwhelming. The book was an emotional r ...more
Robert Sturzione
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the second book I read by Shayne McClendon. I found myself devouring her books, not just casually reading them.
The Hermit is a well written tale, littered with damage, survival, guilt and a lesson for each of us. As I read, I found myself relating to the characters, feeling their pain and I even found myself in tears, relating to their battles and celebrating their victories.
The Hermit was a most amazing journey. I found myself rereading it STILL fresh, STILL thrilling and JUST AS GRE
  • Lost and Found
  • Deep Desires
  • A Lady's Pleasure
  • Jonesin' For Action (SEALs On Fire #3)
  • Typist - Billionaire Novelist: Complete Series
  • Bad Girl Lessons (Gresham County, #1)
  • Messy and Shattered (Abduct, #1)
  • Best Laid Plans
  • Judgment (Judgment, #1)
  • Sweet Pleasure
  • In a Lover's Silence
  • Out of Her League (The Sun Never Sets, #2)
  • Birthday Wishes (The List, #1)
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • The Life We Dream
  • Killing Matt Cooper
  • Progress (Progress, #1)
  • Dagger's Edge (SEALs On Fire #2)
If you’re looking for stories that tug at your heart, make you laugh out loud, and sometimes make you cry so hard you need a giant box of tissues…look no further than books by Shayne McClendon.

She’s a prolific author (more than 8 million words and counting) known for dramatic, steamy, enthralling fiction that will grab you and not let go until the last page.

A nomad at heart, Shayne currently lives