Start by marking “Missing Emily: Croatian Life Letters” as Want to Read:
Missing Emily: Croatian Life Letters

Missing Emily: Croatian Life Letters

By February of 1991, when Amicus Shoemacher is assigned to correspond with Nada, who lives in Rijeka in the Republic of Croatia, Yugoslavia, her life has already begun to unravel. The only bright spot in her life is her favorite baby cousin, Emily. Ami's life further unravels on March 25 of that year when Emily is hit by a car and dies. Ami doesn't respond to Nada's letter ...more
Published September 13th 2012 by iUniverse (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Emily

Start your review of Missing Emily: Croatian Life Letters
Shawn StJean
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
From my blog review at clothosloom.wordpress.com:
When I was a boy--30 and more years ago--many bookstores and libraries did not host a collection designated specifically for teens. Aside from books by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert Louis Stevenson (both of whom require a high level of literacy to enjoy, are plot-driven, and definitely meant for boys) the vast majority of what I read was meant for adults.

Clearly, my past does not make me an expert on YA Fiction. But I feel fortunate to have been
Megan
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was happy to win Missing Emily: Croatian Life Letters in the first-reads giveaways. Reading the summary, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. In the first few chapters, I started to get into it and got to know the characters. Though I can’t say I can relate to the situations in this book, I found it to be unique and entertaining.

Missing Emily is about a girl named Ami and her pen pal from Croatia named Nada. Ami is a very quiet girl whose passions in life are music and her baby cousin, Emily.
Jill
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ami's world is falling apart. Her father left her mother for a younger woman. Her mother now has to put her plan for law school on hold and becomes very depressed. Then her favorite niece is hit by a car and killed. The story unfolds as she writes her class assigned pen pal, Nada. Nada is living in the war-torn Republic of Croatia. Nada’s letters express her fear, describe the death threats her parents receive, and the religious and ethnic persecution they face. Follow along as they deal with th ...more
Cindi
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book is mostly letters between teenage pen pals in the U.S. and Croatia. Teenagers are basically the same, no matter what country they live in. Short, easy read.
Adie
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this particular book by Jodie Toohey because of the subtitle. My ethnic heritage includes Hungarian which I've learned is rather a broad category since my great-grandparents immigrated during or just after the first World War. Curiosity about this region of the world caused me to pick it up; kindred connection with the historical setting (1991-1992) kept me reading. I will definitely be recommending this book to my children as a peek into my own teen years as well as the experien ...more
Karen
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jodie Toohey does an excellent job of juxtaposing the life of a young girl in a war-torn country and that of a young American girl--not in physical danger but seeing her own family torn apart by divorce and death. I bought this for my granddaughter but am glad I read it first. Highly recommend it for anyone but especially young teens.
gj indieBRAG
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that MISSING EMILY: CROATIAN LIFE LETTERS by Jodie Toohey is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Luke
Aug 29, 2017
Judy
Jan 30, 2017
Jodie Toohey
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Trisha Georgiou
Tonya
Evelina
Anna
Nov 04, 2012
Jodie Toohey is the owner and operator of Wordsy Woman Author Services, a company that helps authors, soon-to-be authors, and want-to-be authors from pre-idea to readers with craft advice, revision and editing services, and book marketing planning services. She is the author of seven books, three poetry collections - Crush and Other Love Poems for Girls, The Other Side of Crazy, and Versed in Natu ...more