Start by marking “Secrets and Lies” as Want to Read:
Secrets and Lies

Secrets and Lies

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,514 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Kody Keplinger both returns to the halls of Hamilton High and explores new territory in her collection of two e-book exclusive novellas. In these short stories, the author revisits a familiar cast of characters from THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) and A Midsummer's Nightmare. Explore the uniquely teen world of high school drama, secrets, and romantic entanglements fr ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by Poppy

Erica
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first short story, Abbreviations & Alliterations, features Casey from The DUFF, when she starts to date Toby, Bianca's ex. The major conflict of the short story comes in with Casey feeling like she is braking girlcode by dating Toby, since he is a friend's ex. There are both secrets and lies in this one :)

I loved this story - it was so fun and I read straight through in on a train ride into the city during BEA. It was lovely. Casey is such a fun character who uses a few too many abbrevia
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
The first book, Abbreviations and Alliterations, was from Casey's point of you and I'm so glad her love life worked out in the end. After just finishing Lying Out Loud I did see some similarity between the two but still loved it. The second book, People Worth Knowing, was from Bailey's point of view and I was so proud of her for sticking up to the bully and doing what was right. She was worried that Brody wouldn't like her but it pays to be yourself!
Faylogic
Dec 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ugh
Alaina Meserole
Ever since I read The Duff I have wanted to dive into this book.

One reason is because the first story has to deal with Casey, who is one of Bianca's best friends. She is dealing with a major conflict: dating Toby, who just happens to be Bianca's ex. Why is this a major problem for her? Because Casey feels like she is breaking some type of crazy girl code. In my opinion she isn't because Bianca is very happy with her boyfriend. So yeah, I didn't really care about her dating Toby or whatever but
Fafa's Book Corner
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vem Night
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute as always. Love it.

This consists of a novella from THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) and THE MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE which both book I really enjoyed.

I was thrilled to know there's a sneak peak to these books because I couldn't help but wonder what happened after all these crazy and its lovely endings. Although it is set in a different persons POV, how they see these couples is totally worth it.

Love.Love.Love.

Penny
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*

I really Toby and this was a cute little story to wrap up his story.
cεℓтïcεяαƨ мυƨε
"In Spring 2013, Little Brown will be releasing a collection of 3 short stories (each about 5 or 6 chapters long), featuring characters from my other books. Squee!One story is about Casey from THE DUFF, and it’s a story I’ve wanted to tell since I wrote the book but had no outlet for, so I’m SO EXCITED to finally get a chance to tell Casey’s story. Another story is about Bailey from A MIDSUMMER’S NIGHTMARE. And the third is about Julie - a character you will meet in Goldfish - and it serves as ...more
Sónia Salgado
It was nice to read about our beloved characters again! Funny and witty as usual!
Ade
*happy sigh* pretty cover. I love Kody Keplinger. I bow down at her feet and adore her. Best. Author. Ever.
Amy Jacobs
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Secrets & Lies features two short novella’s by author Kody Keplinger. If you are not familiar with this author in the young adult world, then I highly recommend that you start with The D.U.F.F. I will also warn you that this authors writing is highly addictive. Once you read one book by Ms. Keplinger, you will not want to stop at one.

Novella One: Abbreviations & Alliterations
The main characters featured in novella one are Casey Blithe and Toby Tucker. If you have read The DUFF then you k
Tehteh
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I've been reading all of Kody's books, so it's only natural that I read this. As you probably know, this is nade up of two stories, one set after The Duff, following Casey, Bianca's friend, and the other set after Midsummer0s Nightmare, following Bailey, Nathan's younger sister.

Neither of the stories blew me away, to be honest, but I liked the first beetter than the second. I really liked knowing Casey, and I thought Kody made a clever move by pairing her with Toby. I actually found them both re
Brittney
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-owned
This was worth reading if you have read The Duff and A Midsummer's Nightmare. The first short story is about Casey from The Duff. She comes home for Christmas vacation and falls for her best friends ex boyfriend, Toby Tucker. I thought it was okay, but I definitely enjoyed the second story more. The second story featured Bailey from A Midsummer's Nightmare. I loved that Nathan and Whitley were in the story as well. Bailey tries to fit in at her new high school and in the process helps ruin anoth ...more
Kassiah
So excited for these stories!!!

From Kody's blog:
One story is about Casey from THE DUFF, and it’s a story I’ve wanted to tell since I wrote the book but had no outlet for, so I’m SO EXCITED to finally get a chance to tell Casey’s story. Another story is about Bailey from A MIDSUMMER’S NIGHTMARE. And the third is about Julie - a character you will meet in Goldfish - and it serves as sort of a prequel to the book.

The collection doesn’t have a title just yet, but the theme is secrets.
Lonneke
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novella was just like the books Kody writes. Maybe a novella like this doesn't really deserve 5 stars, but I always really enjoy the way Kody Keplinger writes light and fun stories with a little 'deeper' message. It's not anything really deep, but it has a good message in it, just like her books. I also really liked coming back to the same characters you get to know in The DUFF and A Midsummer's Nightmare. Anyone who needs a light and fluffy contemporary where you don't need to think to muc ...more
Fatima
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Secrets & lies son dos cuentos cortos de Kody Keplinger, donde nuevamente nos encontramos con los personajes de The Duff y A Midsummer Nightmare, los protagonistas son los secundarios en esta ocasion.Estas historias lo que recalcan es el dano que podemos realizar a otras personas hablando mentiras sobre ellas y guardando secretos que en ocasiones debemos decirlo para no continuar haciendo dano a otros.

Dos historias muy cortas y bien light que te dejan como los cuentos con moraleja y finales
Edma
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book, especially the first part, because I got to know a little bit more about Bianca's new relationship and also got to know Casey better. I totally like Toby, he is the role model of a great guy and friend, lucky C for having him! It was a very pleasant read and I just couldn't stop reading! It was just like with the first book all over again. So thanks to Kody Keplinger for writing these amazing stories.
Stacey (secsec1)
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
this is a 3.5 for me. the first short story Abbreviations & Alliterations was my favorite of the two. but then I LOVE the DUFF and all it's characters and A&A deals with older kids so it's a little more mature too, which I think is a big part of why I liked it better. People Worth Knowing is characters from A Midsummers Nightmare. the story is about Nathan's little sister Bailey. although the subject is very timely, it was a lot oh high-school drama for me, but still a good story. if you ...more
★Ruth★
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
2 Cute stories that follow on from The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend & A Midsummer's Nightmare involving side characters from both.
The first one with Toby Tucker was especially good, I really enjoyed it :)
♡Ann  Matalines♡

I really like the first story because of Casey (from the DUFF) so it was like the continuation in her POV. The second one? not so much. You can't get rid of drama.
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The novellas leave you wanting more from these characters, who were supporting ones in Keplinger's The DUFF and A Midsummer's Nightmare. I shouldn't fault a short story on being "short," but at the same rate, I couldn't feel 100% satisfied with these small glimpses into Casey and Bailey's lives. I hope she revisits these characters soon.
Jamie Silva
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Quick read, good if you've read the DUFF and a Midsummer's Nightmare. The stories are too short to develop a real plot but it's good to read a little into the lives of the other characters in the other books. Definitely read the other 2 before this one if you do choose to read the book.
Madel
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A&A -- It's Casey's story from The Duff. I miss Wesley and B. I wanna read more about them!!! So anyway, Casey's keeping something from everybody especially to B! Wanna know what is it? Then all you have to do is Read it!!! Lol.

PWK -- ala Mean Girls! I just hope I get to know more about Brody.
Wilda
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This rating is for Abbreviations & Alliterations only.

Very cute story about Casey, Bianca's best friend in the Duff and Toby, a shy, quiet guy Bianca dated briefly. There's a nice lesson about keeping secrets from your best friend as well. definitely worth the quick read.
Aldy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
La verdad, ni pareciera un libro de Kody! Totalmente innecesario el relato porque es demasiado breve (5 o 6 capítulos cada historia -eran 2-) así que todo va demasiado rápido y sin cuestionamientos.
Nathalia Borghi
3.5 stars.
Wafaa
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, ebooks
Wish it was longer. Which means I enjoyed it a lot.
Christina Morden
This was actually a really fun idea. I loved just kinda checking in with everyone.

This makes me really excited for Lying Out Loud!
Amanda
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love anything written by Kody because she brings out new stories and we see past characters again with updates with there relationship!
Jen
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a light and fluffy 2 for 1 deal on a couple of short stories by Kody Keplinger. Each relates to characters from her other books, which are fabulous, but both could be read as standalone stories without you losing much. I think the title, Secrets & Lies, is very apt: both of these stories are about not telling the truth to your friends in different ways. One is about keeping a relationship secret, the other about keeping quiet in the face of bullies. Neither is that complex but both w ...more
  • Short Stories
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • First Time for Everything
  • Encore (Amplified #2)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Game. Set. Match. (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #1)
  • Pie Girls
  • The Last Best Kiss
  • Torn
  • The Boyfriend App (App, #1)
  • Living the Dream (Whitman University, #5)
  • Mixed Messages (Love Letters, #2)
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (The Toadhouse Trilogy, #1)
  • As Gotas de um Beijo
  • Night Sky
  • The Accidental TV Star (Accidental #2)
  • In Need of Therapy
  • Cup of Life (Everlast, #2.5)
I'm a 19-year-old college student and young adult author. My first book, THE DUFF, debuted on September 7, 2010. I write books for teenagers and strive to be honest and true-to-life. For more info, check out my website.
More about Kody Keplinger