Start by marking “Zomboy” as Want to Read:
Zomboy

Zomboy

From the imagination of one of Canada’s funniest writers comes the story of a young zombie who is integrated into a regular classroom in southern Ontario. Clashes, heroics and hilarity ensue as the community’s tolerance for difference—and narrator Bob's tolerance for an undead rival—are pushed to the limit in this exciting and surprisingly touching novel.
Published March 25th 2014 by HarperTrophy

Start your review of Zomboy
Curtis
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
~Alive Or Undead You Are Guaranteed To Love This Book~
Red Maple nominated ZOMBOY is a brilliant present day story about a boy named Bob and his experience with discrimination, only it's not what you would think it is. Bob goes to school like any other seventh grader but new to his class is a boy named Imre Lazar and something just isn't normal about Imre. He is dopey, quiet, horrible at spelling, and oh yeah a Zombie.

Zomboy takes place in current day Dresden a small town in Ontario and is bas
This just might be my favourite Richard Scrimger book (which is saying something because I reread the Nose from Jupiter until my copy fell apart).

Zomboy is a darkly funny and somehow really touching look at discrimination through reactions to Imre, an undead student. It's realistic -- well, not in the walking-dead nature of the title character, but in the controversy, the protests, the often frustrating opinions of other characters. Not just realistic but eerily familiar.

Paula
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that the characters are not stereotypical. I love that the father cooks supper. I love that there is such a strong female main character and I love that she is called Evil-O. I love that there are quirky characters but not too quirky that I wouldn't care about them. I love that the plot isn't predictable. I love Richard Scrimger's sense of humour. I'm not a kid but I enjoy reading good children's books and I love this book!
Tara Lazetic
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scrimger is a funny one. Even though this is the first of his books that I've read, I feel like they're all great.

Now, Zomboy is hilarious at some parts but really good overall.
The charecter were cool. Liked the setting! ;D
Sydneyreader
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: red-maple-2015
Zomboy was a pretty good book. Zomboy is a different kind of zombie book because it's more about acceptance and less about zombies trying to kill everything. I enjoyed the humour and action spread throughout this book.
Mat
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually quite liked this one. I was prereading to hopefully use in a classroom later on. It was a great piece that had a lot of talking points. It could be used in classrooms anywhere from grade 4-8 and still have a good impact. It did seem like a movie a bit but I think that's part of its charm. It is well geared for kids these days and can be used for a tool for change.
Daniel
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my first introduction to this author, it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be, but it was still good
Rufus Aston One-77
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Unique and sharply funny Zomboy is a big-hearted winner'' says Kenneth Oppel,big words coming from a highly respected author. Or is it?

Dresden, Ontario finds itself to be home to a victim of a disease so bizarre it’s truly unbelievable,
The main characters go to many places in this town, including Bob's house, Imre's house,Evil-O’s house and primarily Their school. Out of these settings, only the location of Imre's and Bob’s house was explained with detail. The other settings were ha
Canadian
An odd new boy arrives at small-town Dresden's Westwood school. Soon after, a freak accident occurs: a piano careens down the school hallway, splitting as it slams into that boy. The boy stands unharmed, and though he has had a wire driven into him, he does not bleed. Checked by a doctor, Imre Lazar is discovered to have no pulse, no blood flow, and no temperature. It appears that as the lone survivor of a nuclear accident in Port Sterling,Ontario, he has special powers: he is one of the undead, ...more
Countryside Sixes
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alive or not, this is a book to behold.

Zomboy is not like many first person books in the sense that it is not from the point of view of the most important ‘good guy’ in the book but instead from another not-so-important good guy. Who is the most important good guy? He goes by the name Imre Lazar. Imre has a few complications in his life, or is life not the right term? Imre is dead. Imre is a zomboy (this is not a major spoiler because not only should this be pretty obvious, you find
Michelle
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, middle-grade
Bob and Evil-O have been friends forever and puberty is not the only thing making their friendship questionable. Imre, a new boy in school, catches the eye of Evil-O. Bob finds Imre weird, gross, cold, and just odd. Well he has a good reason to. After a piano falls on Imre and not a scratch is left on him, the school soon finds out Imre is a survivor from some nuclear something or other and now he is a zombie....or rather zomboy. The school becomes a battle ground for protesters to support Imre ...more
Zineb
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs-2
Zomboy certainly did not fail to make me laugh my head off and chuckle in between starting from the first page to the last! I greatly enjoyed this book, I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for books that could get me laughing and become in love with so effortlessly and looks like Zomboy’s taken up more than just a spot!

I loved each and every character in this book, especially Imre, the “Zomboy” who I’ve often imagined to be talking and doing everything in slow motion, Evil-O the loud an
Randy
Bob is a little dismayed when his best friend Evil-O starts spending more time with the new student in their class. Imre Lazar not only has to deal with being the new kid, but also he has to deal with his relatively new status as undead. Yes, Imre is what we would call a zombie. His inclusion in the class leads to all sorts of issues as the community splits on how they feel about having a zombie int he same class as their children.

I picked this book up as it is one of this year's Red
Jocelyn
There's a new kid in Bob's class, Imre Lazar but he's not what you would call normal. He can lift buses, shake off a whole entire football team, and disconnect his hand from his body and he's not even living. He's a zombie! Bob doesn't really like get's a little upset and jealous when his best friend, Evil-O starts hanging out with Imre all the time, and when all the parents start protesting and fighting about whether Imre should be in their child's class, he decides that maybe he should just ac ...more
Aiyana
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bob's life is as normal as it can be, he has a best friend, parents who fight a lot, and a local bully. Everything's fine until a new kid shows up- Imre. Bob wants nothing to do with this strange kid, but of course Evil-O, Bob's best friend finds Imre interesting. Torn between his own beliefs and the ones of his best friend Bob decides if this new 'Zomboy' is worth his friendship.

I picked this book up because it was a red maple nominee, and I hadn't read it yet.

I finished
Emily
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I liked how the whole zombie idea was different. This book wasn't about zombies taking over the world and eating people; it was about young zombie boy named Imre who goes to school and wants to be like everyone else. I enjoyed the main character, Bob, and reading the story from his point of view. Bob is a funny, kind,and sensitive germaphobe. The ending was great, full of action and very interesting. It was full of action and very interesting. I thought that the book ...more
Kate
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little bit to get into the rhythm of the story - and I found the first initial conflict a little bit frustrating but once I got it I got it. Scrimger has a wonderful sense of humour and once you tap into it you can't help but smirk.

A new boy comes to Bob and Evil-O's class. He's not like most kids - he doesn't have a heart beat, is super strong, and occasionally loses body parts. He is the Z-word, which cannot be uttered in school. Parents are concerned, kids are unsettl
Chloe
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A good three stars. This book was full of adventure and full of fun. I thought the "Zomboy" would be the first character that was presented and not the third or fourth.

Bob, one of the main characters can insecure and very worried about things. Evil-O is a nice, tough girl with a lot of a do anything attitude. Her real name is Olive but, you'll figure out why they call her Evil-O in the book. Imre is a boy. Well the boy they call a "Zomboy" they only call him this because he's dead, but living.
Philippa Dowding
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's something strange about the new kid in school. He's sort of ... living impaired. For Imre Lazar, moving to a new middle school is hard enough with everything new and different and weird, but being dead makes it all just a little harder. Imre is a nice boy despite being dead (and losing bits of himself, like his errant hand, now and then), and by the end of the story manages to win friends, influence bigoted "anti-zombie" parents, and even save the day a few times (he's a wall on the foot ...more
Cee
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myrca-2016
When Imre, an eccentric and unusual new student arrives in small town Ontario, Bob is repulsed. Not only does his best friend Evil-O instantly begin to defend Imre's peculiarities, she distances herself from Bob's perceived "racism" towards zombies. In fact the whole town is divided on how to treat Imre in this engaging, funny and creative novel for middle graders. Imre's transition from geek to zombie to hero is heart warming and entertaining. Recommended for readers who enjoy comedy, mystery a ...more
Hayley
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: red-maple
A book about a zombie that's harmless. That's a first. I felt that I didn't give us enough time in the beginning to learn about the characters before Imre's secret was unleashed. Imre was so strong to go to school every day even though there were people who were just down right jerks. This book shows that you shouldn't be treated differently from everyone just because your different. I give this book 3 stars for creativity and originality.
Niki
I'm going to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I didn't find the zombie storyline appealing, but it turns out that the story is entertaining, light-hearted, and not-super-zombie-ish. Imre, a zomboy, shows up at a small town school in Ontario with secrets to keep, but a desire to fit in. The acceptance (or not) of the small town parallels discrimination/acceptance based on other true-to-life aspects, such as race. It was a quirky story - fun and refreshing.
Anna
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think the book Zomboy by Richard Scrimger was a very unique, and funny book. The story started off quickly, and kept getting more, and more interesting! Zomboy kept keeping me guessing, and had surprising twists, and turns that I didn't expect! I loved how all the characters personalities were all different, but how I could relate a little bit to all of them. Even though some parts of the book could have been more predictable than others, I give Zomboy four stars!
Sakina Nazim
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked this book. I really liked this book. And as I read the book, I fell in love with the characters in a way that I didn't even realize. I only realized how much I really enjoyed each character after read the last page.

And my heart actually ached at the end. idek

This book was a fun read. I loved the humor. And Bob was a very pleasant surprise. I found him so irritating in the beginning but he really really grew on me.
Caitlin Starr
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
So I did in fact like reading this book but I felt like by the end of it, Scrimger was just trying to finish the book. Sure, the characters were amazing and the humour in this book was awesome, but I would've rather read a longer book with a plot that kinda flowed nicely than a book with a plot that was smooth and then BAM. I don't know if that sentence made sense but whatever. I did really like this book, however. I just feel like it was a bit too 'young' for me... if that makes sense.
Roderick Mcgillis
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Boy comes through some kind of nuclear mishap, but he is dead. For reasons that remain unexplained, this boy is not your conventional zombie, but his sister is - a conventional zombie, that is. Anyway, the focus is on Imre, the eponymous zomboy, and his experiences in school. The appearance of Imre at the local school gives rise to heated differences of opinion and ugly 'racism.' The book is clever at times and should appeal to the 10 to 12 ages group.
Stefanie Carlson cole
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book on acceptance, using the Zomboy as other, which might make it easier to discuss in a classroom. I also loved the exploration of friendship between Bob, our quirky narrator, and his spunky friend Evil-O...Olive backwards!

Definitely one for literature circles because it's got lots of room for discussion along with a fun read that will appeal to many students. Your boys will love the ending and there's a cool little mystery within!
Gavin
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Zomboy by Richard Scrimger was a great story.Most people in Red Maple 2015 are thinking that it's not such a great book, but it is. In this book Evil-O (backwards for Olive) meets this new boy who is very strange,but she likes him anyway. And then theirs Bob who doesn't like the Zomboy, soon ends up liking him. This is a book very well done that I think most people might end up liking it. you will have to read it first to know.
Naomi  Melnichuk
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: red-maple
I thought that this book was pretty good. Zomboy had an interesting story and had a lot of action at the end. Zomboy was a twist on the zombie idea. Most books with zombies are often a story about people trying to survive because zombies are every where and people will turn into one if they get bit. But this story is about a guy named Bob who met a zombie who just wants to be like everyone else.I liked this book so much because it has personal relationship that keeps me interested
Lucas
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is a very good new take on the whole zombie epidemic and giving the zombie(or zomboy) feelings, a personality and not changing him into one of the classic movie monsters was very creative. I also think that adding Imre's little sister(a real zombie) into the mix twisted the plot in a way that I did not see coming. On a final note showing us how he thought the world would react to a zombie made this into a somewhat believable fiction novel. Bravo Richard, Bravo
Goodreads Librari...: Book fix/Combine: Zomboy by Richard Scrimger 3 51 Apr 26, 2016 02:46PM

• Yesterday's Dead
  • Alice, I Think (Alice MacLeod, #1)
  • September 17
  • 40 Things I Want To Tell You
  • The Siren
  • Feathers
  • Max
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
I was born with very little hair and very little feet and hands. They all grew together and I still have them, together with all my organs except tonsils. I do not have four children -- they have me and we all know it. I write and teach and talk about writing and other things. Actually, I talk a lot. I’m right handed, my car has a dent in the passenger side door, and my blood type is A-. The motto ...more