Start by marking “Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)

Valkyrie Symptoms

(Valkyrie 0.5)

VALKYRIE SYMPTOMS is a short story prequel told from Tuck's point of view, one day prior to the events that take place in Valkyrie Rising.
Published February 5th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Valkyrie Symptoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valkyrie Symptoms

Eliza Baum
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-mythology
This was cute. I'm not big on short stories, because they leave me with this big feeling of, wow, there could have been so much more to that. But since this was set immediately before the book (Valkyrie Rising), it was fine. It still makes me crave a sequel that I know is going to be a year-plus in the coming, though. *cries*
Felicia
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There needs to be a sequel to Valkyrie Rising. That is all I can say about it.
Louisa
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great short story, loved being in Tuck's head, and seeing them all before the events of Valkyrie Rising! Now to read that!
Rebecca
Too short and doesn't really do much aside from serve as an intro to Valkyrie Rising, but bonus points for Tucker's POV.
Gretchen Paulson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Just not long enough.
Muggle
Apr 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I absolutely loved Valkyrie Rising! Ingrid Paulson has an amazing writing stile, which does through in Valkyrie Symptoms. In fact, her amazing writing may have been enough to earn it at least two stars, but I felt that there simply wasn't quite enough content to put her magic into effect.

I also that found some of the Key features I'd been hoping for weren't there. Although it was interesting to be inside Tuck's head, I didn't really like what I saw. There weren't any references about his strange
Lára  Arnarsdóttir
Feb 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Actually, I do not know what this was about. It was too short for me to get a feeling about anything and seeing things from Tuckers point was weird and not at all pleasurable.

When I started reading it, I thought maybe well see Tucks symptoms since his family is as interesting as Elsas, but describing Ellie just didnt work for me. I actually see her quite different now than before and its not good at all. I liked her in Valkyrie Rising, she was a strong one. Now I see her as a child. I know tuck
David Edmonds
Feb 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, ya
I thought the point of these ebook prequels was to whet our appetites for the book coming out? If the book is like this prequel, where the two protagonists go at each other with a non-stop diatribe of teenage blathering, which I guess is supposed to show the sexual tension between the two of them, then I'll gladly pass. There is nothing in the "prequel" (which really should have just been the first two chapters of the actual book) that would make me want to read any farther, no foreshadowing of ...more
Alexa
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Valkyrie Symptoms is a short story prequel to Valkyrie Rising. It happens one day prior to the events in the main novel, and all 20 pages of it are from Tucker's point-of-view. I loved Tuck in Valkyrie Rising, so it was great getting a glimpse inside his head. To know how he sees Ellie and to read more of the banter between them that I enjoyed in the full novel. I wish it were longer though because it went by too quick! But I am glad to have something else to read in this world. If you loved Tuc ...more
Merin
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology, novella
I very much enjoyed reading from Tuck's point of view. Even though this is quite short, I liked how he went from trying to pretend he wasn't interested in Ellie to finally admitting that yeah, he was. Plus their banter is just fabulous! Definitely recommended for folks who enjoyed Valkyrie Rising.

***

To see more of my reviews, please visit me @ Read and Reviewed!
Tamara
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I never know how to rate short stories. But I liked it, so that's good. It made me want to go read Valkyrie Rising again.

I'm confused, though. It says it takes place a day before the book does. The book starts out with Tuck's 18th birthday party. In this book, Ellie claims to have woken Tuck up so he didn't miss his test and fail, making him repeat junior year and bring in her classes. So she's a sophomore, and he's an 18-year old junior?
Meg
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really wish this was longer even though this leads right into the book where it starts the day after this takes place.

It was a really cute fast read. It makes me love Tuck even more than I do already in the book itself. Jack is an asshole though.

From start to finish I was entertained and this makes me want to read Valkyrie Rising all over again just to be able to witness Tuck and Ellie together all over again.
Amanda
*sigh* I might be a little in love with Tuck. I adore "fall-for-the-best-friend's-sibling" stories and this was a great little into to Valkyrie Rising, which I actually read first. It's short, sweet, and heartfelt, giving us readers some insight to how Tuck feels about Ellie.
Cogito_ergo_sum
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this just after finishing valkyrie #01. I liked the character voice in this one too. The dialogue exchange was partially funny and amusing in this short story. I wonder when Ingrid Paulson would write book #02. It would be interesting to see a teenage valkyrie try to blend in at high school if the author comes up with a great plot for that book.
Angela
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book-i-read, extras
This was an awesome story in Tucker's Point-of-view. I actually read this before I read Valkyrie Rising, and I was extremely intrigued by it XD I picked up Valkyrie Rising as soon as I could after that. Tuck was soooo sweet! It was really fun to read in his POV.

Teresa
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel novella for the book Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson. Its told from Tucker's POV and is just a little look at what their lives were like right before the events of Valkyrie Rising.

I really enjoyed this look into Tucker's mind and a bit of a look into more of their lives. Its a nice little extra.
Dani
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a lot happens in this short story, nevertheless I'm intrigued by the characters. I'm always a sucker for those "knowing-a-person-forever-and-finally-seeing-them-in-a-romantic-light" kind of romances, and as that is exactly what I'm in the mood for, I'll be picking up Valkyrie Rising here in the near future.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
This definitely has me curious about Valkyrie Rising, and I'm super curious about Ellie's little anger issue.
It seems like a nice set up for the full novel and Tuck seems like he's a great character. I wish it were longer but I guess that just means I'll have to buy the book sooner rather than later.
Shannon
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a cute little short story (very very short) from Tuck's point of view as a prequel. I am very glad I read Valkyrie Rising before this, I don't think I would've enjoyed this little short story otherwise.
Taylor
Mar 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
so not worth it..
I was expecting something cute and sweet but all I got was one chapter of lame.
I thought 20 pages wasn't enough to start with, but it turns out 15 of those 20 pages is a preview of Valkyrie rising, which I've already read.
this soooo wasn't worth $1
Andi Raney
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was adorable. Tuck seems like more than the usually love interest I've been reading about in the YA market.

So, yeah, I shall read Valkyrie Rising.

Besides, Norse Mythology, bros. When do we ever see that?!
Evie
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A somewhat interesting short story that is pleasant to read, but doesn't add anything essential to the story. It's not a long one, so it might be worth reading, but if you're too busy you can easily skip it!
Terri
Cute intro to Valkyrie Rising, but doesn't add anything to the story. It was sweet to be inside Tuck's head and see what he was really thinking, but it doesn't get you excited for Valkyrie Rising because it's just too short.
Jayjay
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great introduction to the first book!

I just wished I knew why it's called Valkyrie Symptoms.
(view spoiler)

Anyhow I'm looking forward on reading Valkyrie Rising!
Lucy
Valkyrie Symptoms Aww, that was too adorable :D

And, yeah, Tucker and Elsa are pretty hilarious together. I mean, there's funny banter, and then there's Tucker and Elsa banter.
Shaina Leitch
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Just a very short intro to the book I'm going to read soon.
Christina
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I give it four stars because the author knows how to write a good story, even if it is ridiculously short and a tease. That's why it can't have a fifth star.
Melissa
Read 07 November 2012

Loved seeing it from Tucks pov, he is awesome lol, very cute
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
short little addition to Ellie's story, but whilst this is chronologically before Valkyrie Rising I would definitely read it after.

• Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Once Again (Sky Cove, #1)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Captive (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1.1)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Severed (Fated, #2)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Bad Yeti (Kate Grable, #1.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Inevitable (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #3)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • Vigilante Nights
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Spore: The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.5)
Ingrid Paulson does not, in fact, loathe anyone. Although the snarky sense of humor and verbal barbs in Why I Loathe Sterling Lane might suggest otherwise (and shock those who think they know her best).
Ingrid lives in San Francisco with her husband and children and enjoys long-distance running, eavesdropping, and watching science documentaries. She has always loved books and writing short stories

Valkyrie (1 books)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)