Start by marking “Keeper of the Lost Cities” as Want to Read:
Keeper of the Lost Cities

Keeper of the Lost Cities

(Keeper of the Lost Cities #1)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  22,838 ratings  ·  2,834 reviews
A New York Times bestselling series
A USA TODAY bestselling series
A California Young Reader Medal–winning series

In this riveting series opener, a telepathic girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world before the wrong person finds the answer first.

Twelve-year-old Sophie has never quite fit into her life. She’s skipped multiple grades and doesn’t really
Published August 6th 2013 by Aladdin (first published October 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of the Lost Cities, please sign up.
Brittany Quarters This book is great. I'm fifteen, and I read it with an open mind. I didn't focus on the writing or the characters, I read it just to have fun.
I own…more
I own all of them so far and have loaned them to all my friends, who also loved them.

And, keep in mind, this is a book written for middle graders. Not teens. It wasn't written for people used to YA books with more complex themes.

This is a book to laugh at and have fun with, I highly recommend it.

And don't be a Rotten Egg, it wasn't for us older readers anyway. :)

Who recommended it to you? Do they own the book? If so, you could just ask to borrow it or look at it. And, you can start reading the beginning on Amazon.
I hope you do read it. :)(less)
Sydney I'm on team Keefoster. I just can't get over how horrible Fitz acted toward Sophie in Exile to want Fitzfie, and Dex is better at being a friend than…moreI'm on team Keefoster. I just can't get over how horrible Fitz acted toward Sophie in Exile to want Fitzfie, and Dex is better at being a friend than a romantic partner. Keefe is funny, kind, and respectful toward Sophie throughout the series, which makes him best suited for being her boyfriend.(less)

·  22,838 ratings  ·  2,834 reviews

Start your review of Keeper of the Lost Cities
Shannon Messenger
Oct 10, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I may be biased here. But I think it's pretty darn awesome. :D *is an incredibly nerdy author*
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, terrible-books
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Thea’s Take:

There are two ends of the CG animated movie spectrum. On the one side, there are gems like Wall-E and Up and Toy Story. On the other, there are the lamentable films like Fly Me to the Moon, or Robots, or Shark Tale. Granted, many kids like all of these films and there is some entertainment value to find in each of them – but there’s a huge difference in storytelling skill and in quality.

Unfortunately, Keeper of the Lost Cities falls deep on
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Ridiculously good! I love it. And I imagine I would have been even more head-over-the-heels, had I gotten this one to read as a kid. Still, even for an adult, this is an immensely entertaining read. Complete with a new world, tidy loose endings wrapped up, likable protagonists, Harry-Potteresque schools... And Telepaths, Mesmers, Inflicters, Washers, Descryers, Atlantis, Exilium, Eternalia, Foxfire, prodigies, talent-based nobility, Dames and Sirs, society that had no death (almost!), Slurps and ...more
Riley Edgewood
ALL KINDS OF AWESOME. Seriously am in love with this book/series and its characters.

KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES is a fantasy mystery of epic proportions--and it's captivating from page one.

While it's perfectly fitted for middle grade readers (even reluctant readers will burn through this and beg for more!) I have to be honest and say that I don't read very much middle grade. But I'm 31, and this book is still one of my all-time favorites. The reach of KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES extends from those
Allison
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, I will start this off by saying that this book was written by my little sister....and for you to fully understand what this means I must explain a few things to you. Shannon has always been the over achiever in the family, she's younger than me, yet managed to graduate a couple days before me, 4.0 and valedictorian no less! She graduated college, which I never even went to, and she always manages to do things like change the lightbulbs, wear accessories and eyeliner, and bring a jacket ...more
Gillian Berry
Rating: Though I nearly DNFed in the beginning (they're ELVES?! She's HARRY FREAKING POTTER?! THEY'RE ELVES?!?!), ultimately I was charmed by this middle grade fantasy.

The cover: 99% of the reason I wanted this. LOOOOK at it! And at Sophie's oh-so-glorious middle grade hair. Let's pretend I looked like that at age 12.

The story: I came so close to giving up on this one. I thought the beginning was a MESS. Normal-but-not-normal preteen girl suddenly discovers she is part of a magical world she
Amy Imogene Reads

This was so good??? I have not had a middle grade suck me in this intensely since my first time reading Harry Potter—as an actual middle grade-aged reader—so I am shook.

World:
Characters:
Pacing:
Series potential:

Keeper of the Lost Cities is not your average middle grade read. This is an immersive, well-built, and well-told tale that caters to a middle grade audience mostly due to its 12-year-old protagonist, Sophie Foster. It's not overly simplified. In fact, at times it was more emotionally
Spencer Orey
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid fun and a good take on the middle grade magic school genre (except the elves are adamant that "it's not magic!!"), with some good twists.

It starts a bit frantically but then finds its pace once we get to the school. Then it starts to shine. Great things to study here for aspiring upper middle grade writers (like me), like how to introduce a big cast of characters. There were some rough edges that didn't land with me, but the whole book was compelling. I'm glad it's a long series! Excited
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
It's been a while since I've read a good MG book and I'm glad that I've started this one. This could be one of my favorite MG books given time, maybe after I've read the next few books.

What I love about this series is diving on a whole new world of fantasy and adventures. I've been through the world of wizardry, demigods, ghost hunters, fairy tales and the like. And this series is about elves but not like the LOTR ones with pointy ears, great eyesight and hearing, and clearly not the fairy tale
Faith M:)
WOW!!! This book was WONDERFUL!!! My favorite read of 2018.

Where to start...

Romance- Sophie did have crushes of boys; mentions of hugging, hand holding... nothing bad at all.

Violence/content- Two of the main characters get kidnapped; lots of magic, feeling severely alone; mentions of being drugged (while kidnapped), etc.

First off- Shannon Messenger is an INCREDIBLE author. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

The world-building in this book is mesmerizing. The details and choice of words
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This was so much fun!

Review to come tonight. I'm so glad I've delved into middle grade fantasy. Sure, Sophie is a bit of a Mary Sue, but the other characters are so wonderful I couldn't stop reading. I just feel that the world building was lacking, but the potential is still there.

Image result for keeper of lost cities fanart
steph
Original review: http://www.poetrytoprose.com/?p=2148

I wish I had read more books like Shannon Messenger’s Keeper of the Lost Cities when I was younger, but I’m so glad to be able to read this now. This book is a winning combination of excellent characters and an exciting adventure, all while also being very heartfelt and touching.

To start off with, Sophie is the best type of main character. She was so interesting (she’s twelve, but in high school...WHAT) and I really enjoyed her journey of
Maggie
I loved this story
I couldn't put it down, great characters, world and plot.
I have to say I haven't met a character that could get into so much trouble as this one. No dull moment in this book lol.
Going to start the second book right now
Romie
This was honestly so good? I can't understand why I dnfed it the first time I tried to read it in 2017. It was just really good. I loved the magic, I loved the world, I love that we had time to get attached to Sophie and her friends, I loved the mystery and trying to find the answers. Such a good book. (4.5)
R.F. Gammon
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure guilty pleasure but lots of fun.
Connor
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I had some problems with this book for sure, however there were some things I really liked. I will definitely be continuing because I want to know what will happen, but I hope some of the things that I didn't like are fixed.

Abby ~Sign Please~
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It's now my #1 favourite book!!!!! Shannon Messenger did an outstanding job writing this novel. I could picture the characters so vividly, it was like I was watching a movie!

I WANT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK SO BADLY!!!!!!!!
Tucker
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has fluctuated the most out of all my reads. Originally, I loved it. But thinking back.
Dana Salman
Oh my God... I bought the boxset of this series.... how could I have done this??
Ugh... I mean it's not like I haven't done this before. I bought the City Trilogy by Darren Shan all at once for around the same price and I ended up hating those books too. But at least with the first book of the City Trilogy I could see the promise in the series and could enjoy the unique vibes it gave.

With this though... I really can't see any promise for this series. At all. It just failed on every level. I just
BrooKe
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
3.7/5 | It's like The School for Good and Evil, but better.

Actually, it's The School for Good and Evil with some Harry Potter thrown in along with a bit of Narnia and sprinkled with elements of Percy Jackson. And you have it. But, for real, it reminded me so much of TSfGaE; it was everything good about that series and more.

It's also worth mentioning how drop dead gorgeous every single cover in this series is. It's actually shocking.

P L O T

I was afraid at the beginning because the pacing was
Serethiel ☽ ✨
5 stars

// k e e p e r . o f . t h e . l o s t . c i t i e s

+ a little bit of a slow beginning but I LOVE KOTLC ANYWAY
+ basically Percy Jackson meets Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings
+ Sophie is presh
+ I SHIP Sophie + Fitz
+ BUT I also ship Sophie + Keefe??
+ gaaaaah HOW DO I CHOOSE????
+ Iggy = ADORABLE little bat imp thing
+ I NEED Exile!!!!
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
I've basically decided to give this book a shot because Regan from PeruseProject recommends this series all the time. Plus if the words "magic school" come out of your mouth, then you can definitely count me in.

I loved this book yaaay! Like Regan had said, the beginning is very rushed and kind of superficial considering Sophie had to leave everything behind all of a sudden (which is the reason this is not getting 5 stars). It's as if the author was like "yo, not time to waste let's get to this
Jill Kaplan
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, signed, mg, favorites
Originally posted on my blog: http://swiminbooks.blogspot.com/2012/...

There are so many things that go through my mind when I think of this book. I could go on and on about character development and pacing, but that’s not what the book is all about. Since this is one of the first MGs I’ve read in awhile, I can’t compare it to anything but what I remember of those experiences. But I will do my best to explain why this book is so freaking awesome.
I had more fun reading Keeper than I have reading
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is why I love Middle Grade reads! Shannon Messenger's debut is fantastic! There's plenty of adventure, some snark, a lot of fun, and a mystery to be solved. Did I mention there might be a little bit of danger?

I love a middle grade book that gives me a richly detailed story, world and characters to fall in love with. This book exceeded all that, and then some. One of the things that makes KEEPER's stand out is Shannon's writing. I didn't feel like I was reading a middle grade book. I felt
Sasha
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Harry Potter and/or Percy Jackson

Full disclosure: I do, in fact, know Shannon in real life and met her before I read Keeper of the Lost Cities; however this is my professional opinion of her work.

Despite the fact that I don’t read middle grade that often (I’ve only read a handful of MGs), and the fact that I don’t particularly care for third person POV, Shannon Messenger’s debut middle grade, Keeper of the Lost Cities, has been one of my favorite reads of the year. Messenger writes a story that children will find
VGA
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Final count! Here's the count for ships!
Sophitz: 16
Keefoster: 7
So, as you can see, so far Sophitz has an overwhelming lead! Will Keefoster be able to catch up next book? You'll see in the nnnnnnnnnnnnext book! (I'm going to put the amount for the book, and then an overall amount)
You see, my mom had the genius idea of highlighting important stuff in yellow, funny in pink, Sophitz moments in blue (for his blue eyes that Sophie's always talking about) and orange for team Foster-Keefe (she never
Kate Willis
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I picked this book up on whim when I remembered hearing a friend mention the series. It was such a neat idea, and I loved the world building! The mystery element was definitely the best part of the book, and I found myself surprised every time a new clue was discovered. Brilliantly executed. And hooray for cool old neighbors! Wink, wink.

My favorite characters were Sophie, Alden, and Elwin (<3); although Grady and Edaline grew on me as the story progressed. I especially enjoyed some of the
Thalia Grace
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread, but I don't remember when I read the book the first time. All I remember was that I loved it so much. And Keefe!!!

I am rereading the first three books in await for the 4th and final book in the series because I don't remember much of it, and I don't want to be confused.

When I was reading it, I caught all sorts of clever details that I missed the first time around which lead me to enjoy this much much more. And since I had already rated it 5 stars, I don't know how to
mills♥
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2-4-18

I honestly really liked it. I am SO GLAD that there are so many more books to read about this!!

10-21-18

it took me two days to read both times i read this... so yes i still really like it

10-11-19

me rereading this like every year is a big mood yeah im still depressed about it
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Easily one of the best middle grade books I've ever read.
Unique. Refreshing. Ravishing.

It's pretty up there. 4 stars! Cannot wait to read the other books in this series! Even though I'm not a huge middle grade fan, this book kinda expanded my expectations and thoughts on middle grad books. After all, we all started to read from them:)
Fitz or Keefe 1166 625 Jan 23, 2020 06:49PM
TPBM for Keepers! 56 30 Jan 15, 2020 04:23PM
Complaints, Concerns, and Questions 1 2 Jan 14, 2020 05:03PM
Book Ramblings: Keeper of the Lost Cities series 20 23 Jan 14, 2020 04:58PM

• The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • Winterling (Winterling, #1)
  • Storybound (Storybound #1)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
  • The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Island of Legends (Unwanteds, #4)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • Land of Stories Chirs Colfer Collection 4 Books Box Set (Book 1-4) (Wishing Spell, Grim Warning, Enchantress Returns)
  • A Crystal of Time (The School for Good and Evil: The Camelot Years, #2)
Hi! I'm the NYT and USA today bestselling author of the KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES series and the SKY FALL series! And yes, I DO accept friend requests here--BUT! Please note: I *never* check my private messages here, so if you send me one, you won't get a reply. My real contact information is on my website: shannonmessenger.com

Keeper of the Lost Cities (9 books)
  • Exile (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #2)
  • Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #3)
  • Neverseen (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #4)
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • Nightfall (Keeper of the Lost Cities #6)
  • Flashback (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #7)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • Untitled (Keeper of Lost Cities, #9)
“Fitz pulled her forward, and the warm tingling in her hand shot through her body--like a million feathers swelling underneath her skin, tickling her from the inside out.” 70 likes
“I would rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life.” 67 likes