Start by marking “Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep

Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep

Do you find yourself lying awake at night, ruminating about the events of the day? Do you toss and turn, worrying about what you have to do in the morning or what you did earlier in the day? If so, you are not alone. In fact, insomnia is the most common sleep disorder faced by the general population today. The most common complaint in those who have trouble sleeping is ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Mind

Start your review of Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts and Get a Good Night's Sleep
Sheri
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sleep, 2017
Focuses mainly on the mental aspects of getting a good night's sleep. I didn't learn any new strategies, but there were some helpful reminders. Some of them do work for me, but you know how it is, things are often easier said than done. I need to put the strategies to work so I can wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed after a night of deep, fulfilling sleep.
Tara
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Many of the ideas in this book I have heard, and tried before and they do make a lot of sense if you tend to have some dicipline. This book will not help anyone who suffers from any type of sleep disorder, such a Sleep Apnea. It clearly states early on that it is designed to help those who suffer from insomnia only.

I would read it, but I am not sure if I would buy it.
Lynn
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
As a general guide to improving the quality of your sleep, this book has plenty of solid advice, packaged in a way that is well-organized and easy to follow.

BUT-- It only delivered about three pages' worth of content that fit the "Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts" part of the title.

I was very hopeful about this book. My brain runs off with its own trains of thought so easily while I'm trying to fall asleep that if I don't give it some distraction (like an uninteresting TV show or
❀ Susan G
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
As someone who periodically has sleep challenges, i was interested in learning some new tips for quieting my mind. Although there were helpful tips, there was nothing new but lots of common sense suggestions.
Kim H.
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
If you are embarking on a new journey of self-help in regards to difficulty sleeping, Goodnight Mind: Turn Off Your Noisy Thoughts & Get a Good Night’s Sleep by Colleen E. Carney, PhD and Rachel Manber, PhD is a good place to start.

The small (4.5"x 5.75") and succinct (only 181 pages) tome offers solid, basic knowledge to readers who may not have studied or read anything from a scientific point of view about sleep. If you have read anything else in regards to sleep patterns and how to make
Leigh Anne
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A portable pack of psychological hacks for better sleep.

This compact book is a good pick for readers looking for mental strategies for better sleep. The authors are PhDs, not MDs, so the usual "biology of sleep" material isn't there, and most readers won't miss it (any reputable sleep book written by an MD will have it, and your collection should have plenty of those, so it's fine). The authors, who both have PhDs and manage sleep labs at universities, use CBT as a framework for questioning
Alfredo
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Oh, well, this is a strange book. The advice given is all over the place. Some of it is possibly useful (use your bed only for sleeping), some is interesting (even reading before bed produces sleeplessness), some of it is commonplace (wake up at a fixed time), some of it is weird (don't get in bed until you are sleepy), some is downright insulting (Challenge yourself not to sleep at night, bet you can't. Are they implying you are not insomniac, just another looser? That's how it reads!).
Though
Julie
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is so out of the range of my normal reading that I do not have a category for it. Self help? Pretty obviously, I guess, but I'm not adding that category. But I confess I do have a lot of trouble sleeping and this book seems to me to have great promise. This is not by any means to say it is for everyone. I just think it has insights that resonate with me.

The idea here is that I need to quiet my mind and create circumstances that encourage good sleep. i like the tone and I like the
Deborah Martinez
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Practical advice throughout the book. I was personally hoping the authors would have touched a bit deeper on chronic pain and sleep, but they did not! If you haven't done a lot of research on sleep and turning off your mind, this would be a good starting place, if you have, I would recommend picking a different book to read.
Marci
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped my insomnia so much. I spent lots of time and money on sleep studies and psychologists to figure out what was wrong with me, but it was this book that really gave me answers and simple solutions. I would recommend it to anyone having trouble sleeping, or anyone who just worries too much.
Jon
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is hands down, one of the most useful books I have ever read. If you are suffering from insomnia due to an overactive mind at night, please do yourself a favor and ignore the negative reviews and read this book.
Lindsay
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of CBT / sleep ideas I had read before, but nice to have them in one place.
Ginny
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of good tips to get a good night's sleep. The most interesting was developing a good attitude about your sleep habits and thinking like a good sleeper.
Sherri
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
It didnt tell me anything I didnt know. Basically do somethimg during the day to make you tired and sleepy, stick to a pattern, and dont use your bedroom for other than sleep.
Erin Donaldson
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best sleep help book I've ever read!! It totally worked!
Amy
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little book with big benefits for people like me that have a difficult time falling asleep. This book uses the CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) model for addressing sleep issues. CBT is basically how we think about sleep (I have to fall asleep now or I'll feel like crap all day tomorrow!) feel (angry, anxious, frustrated) how we act (toss, turn, hate life).

The therapy part changes how we think, feel, and act with regards to our sleep.

Bed is a place for sleeping, not watching TV, laying
Kim
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy
This book appealed to me, as I have struggled for many years to get a good night's sleep. I have no trouble falling asleep, but inevitably I'd wake up in the early hours of the morning, and toss and turn before I could get back to sleep. While this book offered no groundbreaking suggestions, it did bring together several common sense strategies in an easy to read and apply process. I've waited for about a week after finishing the book to write this review, so I could comment on how well it ...more
Kendall
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. My insomnia was getting to critical levels, and drug interventions were not working. I started with 3 chapters that seemed the most relevant to me. My sleep was astoundingly better that night, and over the course of 3 days I was sleeping at least 85% better than I had in months.

I had read a lot of articles about how to sleep better and I saw no improvement, so I was skeptical about a book helping. However, the authors took information I'd already read and put it into a
Amy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I started this book this morning during a bout of insomnia and I have a feeling it is going to change my life. I recommend this for anyone with occasional to chronic sleep problems. The authors use matter-of-fact, non-flowery language, never talking down to the reader but using the occasional explanatory comma. I like that the authors give many strategies to sleep loss, but never assume that they will be magical or instant - in fact, the final chapter urges the reader, oddly enough, to be open ...more
Bode  Cauthon
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Having been run down and exhausted, not just physically but mentally as well, I don’t respond well to people telling me to ignore my body and not sleep when I need to. Perhaps I have a healthier approach to sleep then some because this book did not make sense to me. I sleep when I’m tired. Plus I love my bed. Telling me not to spend time in my bed is like telling me my happy place is off limits. No thank you.... bed is THE place to be.
Leanna
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read about every medical article that comes up about sleep and if I learned anything from this book is that if we overemphasize sleep, we can set ourselves up for possible insomnia and then the more we worry about our insomnia, the worse it can get. Much of the logic in this book has not been part of the literature I have read and it was calming to read this. I am going to challenge myself to stay awake and I bet I get sleepy.
Shar
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having had sleep problems all my life, I decided to check out this book recommended by a friend. I was pretty skeptical, having heard more than my fair share of advice from well-meaning people, so I was pleasantly surprised when this book came stocked with good advice and some support for things I had suspected all along such as not everyone needs 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I would definitely recommend it to other unintentional night owls.
Anna
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: therapy
This book could be a helpful guide to anyone struggling with sleep. While many of the suggestions are already well-known in helping people to sleep, a lot of them changed the way I look at sleep and how to have a better slumber experience. This could be a useful resource to future clients, though there aren't any easy fixes.
Luis Ibañez
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book to understand how to guide the mindfulness topics to the way we sleep. At the beginning, it make us think it will be about a guided tour to reach the perfect sleep, but not. The book provides tools, references and activities that will only work to the people with the direct problem mentioned before each activity.
Mckinley
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Authors bill as for insomnia and sever sleep problems. Goes over setting up habits for good sleep and CBT and other techniques.
Charity
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent strategies for combatting insomnia and quieting the mind.
Cheryl
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Great practical suggestions for getting a good night's sleep.
Bgpriley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little book!
Mskychick
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a more hard-hitting Behavior Modification type of book. This is more lite, less meat.
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for those who suffer from insomnia/anxiety
« previous 1 3 next »

• Power vs. Force
  • Accidental Leader
  • Willpower Doesn't Work: Discover the Hidden Keys to Success
  • Life by Design: Making Wise Choices in a Mixed Up World
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • الأسرار الكاملة للثقة التامة بالنفس
  • Get People to Do What You Want: How to Use Body Language and Words to Attract People You Like and Avoid the Ones You Don‘t
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
  • Distrust  (Smirnov Bratva, #1)
  • The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It
  • We Are Not Okay
  • كيف تبني شخصية قوية وإيجابية
  • The Other Mrs. Miller
  • Much Ado About Muffin (Merry Muffin Mystery, #4)
  • Muffin to Fear (Merry Muffin Mystery, #5)
  • Running with Sherman
  • The Sea Keeper's Daughters (Carolina #3)
  • Impossible (Impossible, #1)