Start by marking “Bridie's Choice” as Want to Read:
Bridie's Choice

Bridie's Choice

Bridie Farrell and Shaun Broderick come from opposite sides of the tracks. Unlike Bridie's family, who are perennial strugglers, the Brodericks are the wealthy owners of one of the most prestigious properties in the district. Still, all is not well in either family. Bridie's father is doing time in prison and her younger brother has fallen in with the wrong crowd. Shaun ha ...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Arena

To ask other readers questions about Bridie's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridie's Choice

Start your review of Bridie's Choice
Sharon
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since Bridie Farrell's mother passed away Bridie has been doing her best in looking after and taking care of her seventeen year old brother, Luke. But lately Bridie feels as if Luke is starting to land himself in trouble and that's the last thing she wants for him. With their father in jail Luke has no male influence in his life and seeing as Birdie isn't getting through to him lately she feels as if some days she is fighting a losing battle with her brother.

Bridie enjoys working at the local p
Brenda
Bridie Farrell had been caring for her younger brother Luke for quite a few years since their mother had passed away from cancer and father had ended up in jail. Luke had been a good kid, but now at seventeen he was rebellious and angry all the time – trying to get him to finish school was an uphill battle. He was mixed up with a bad crowd of kids, and she was terrified he would end up in trouble with the police, which would put paid to his (and her) hopes of him joining the army when he turned ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Bridie's Choice is Karly Lane's third novel set in regional Australia, following on from her success with North Star and Morgan's Law. While North Star included an element of suspense, and Morgan's Law explored regional issues, Bridie's Choice is focused on the romance between Lane's protagonists, Bridie Farrell and Shaun Broderick.

One of 'those Farrell girls', Bridie has been dreaming of escaping Tooncanny for as long as she can remember. Having lived her whole life in the shadow of her extend
Lauren K
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karly Lane is a very talented Australian author drawing on her love of the land she creates complex, engaging characters against a backdrop of intrigue, conflict and rural communities.

Bridie Farrell has one goal in life- to get out of Tooncanny. For years she has set her hopes on leaving, getting far away from the small town that holds too many bad memories and a reputation she feels suffocated by. In her mid 20’s, Bridie works as a bartender at the local pub and is the primary caregiver of her
Jess
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bridie’s Choice was the first novel by Australian author Karly Lane that I had the chance to read. I picked it up on a whim from work from one day and loved it so much, that I now own her entire backlist! Including her new e-book Burnt, which I can’t wait to read.

In small town Tooncanny, Bridie Farrell is easily identified as one of those Farrell girls. Her father’s in jail, and despite Bridie’s best efforts, it looks like her younger brother is heading down the same path – a point that irks Br
Juanita Kees
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karly Lane, you’ve done it again and this time you’ve aced it! Ms Lane is a brilliant example of an author who not only writes from the heart, but pours her soul into her stories.

When I received my review copy of BRIDIE’S CHOICE from Allen & Unwin, I was over the moon. It’s one I’ve had on my high priority reading list since NORTH STAR and MORGAN’S LAW. With every new release, Karly’s writing just keeps on getting better and this was her best by far.

To read the full review go to http://www.kees2
Janine
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a nice easy rural romance.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Karly Lane is one of my favourite go to author’s in the Australian rural romance genre. Her third book, Bridie’s Choice, does not disappoint. Showcasing her love and understanding of the land, combined with compelling characters and an enthralling romance, Bridie’s Choice is a perfect read. The story is about two young lovers who are from completely opposite sides of the tracks. Bridie Farrell works as a barmaid in the local pub, while also playing guardian to her younger brother Luke. Luke is s ...more
Paula Clark
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great novel by Karly Lane - she just keeps getting better and better :) As the saying goes "the grass is always greener on the other side". You spend your life dreaming and planning of how your life is going to be, only to discover what you really want/need is what you've left behind.
Sandra
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I was kind of disappointed with this book. I expected better. I found it predictable, and it also had some plot holes that detracted from the story. Also, I just couldn't warm to Bridie....
Diane
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lane-karly
Loved it! I have read Karly's recent books, now going through her earlier ones.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Blurb
“Bridie Farrell and Shaun Broderick come from opposite sides of the tracks. But unlike Bridie’s family, who are perennial strugglers, the Brodericks are the wealthy owners of Jinjilu – one of the most prestigious properties in their local district.

All her life Bridie has longed to leave the small town she grew up in. But time after time family responsibilities have kept her anchored there. Meanwhile, Shaun’s dream of taking over the management of Jinjulu is dashed by his dictatorial fat
Claire
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this rural romance, it was an enjoyable read while at the same time covering some pretty full on issues. The characters were real as were the situations they found themselves in and it showed how family relationships aren't always as they seem.
Rae Hawkins
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Karly. I started it New Year's Eve and finished it today. I found it very hard to put down every time I picked it up. Thank You for another great story. Highly Recommend anything written by Karly
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Probably one of my favourite karly lane books! Definitely worth a read
Melissa Morris
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It was like reading non~fiction. I found it difficult to put down.
Lauren Brown
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read!
Lorraine
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read
Monique Mulligan
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
You know the warm feeling you get when you’ve just finished a really good read? That’s how I felt when I finished Bridie’s Choice by Karly Lane: warm, satisfied … and wishing it wasn’t finished so quickly. Lane’s novels (this is her third) have a distinctively Australian feel and give readers an insight into life in regional Australia – she’s tapped into a genre (rural fiction) in which there is growing demand and she does it well.

Bridie Farrell is one of “those” Farrell girls. It’s a reputatio
Tash
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

Bridie’s Choice is the authors’ third release and the first book of hers I have read. The story follows Bridie Farrell as she navigates through a few months of her life in her small hometown where the Farrell’s are pretty much the black sheep. Doesn’t matter that Bridie tried to make something out of her life with her limited education and stayed out of trouble because the rest of her family has made up for it. Now her brother,
Abby Nancarrow grimshaw
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: karly-lane
Nice easy story to read
Moon Love
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mar-yc-aussie
I love, love, loved this book! You've got two people from opposite walks of life, struggling to identify themselves independent of their last names and trying to be happy.

Bridie Farrell is tired of being judged because she's one of "those Farrells." She can't pick and choose her family. Her father's in jail, her brother's acting up, and her extended family is all giving her ulcers. All she wants to do is get out of Tooncanny and see the Gold Coast.

Shaun Broderick belongs to the founding family
Stacey Houllis
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rural-romance
This is the first book of Karly Lane's I have read. I like this book very much. It is set in the coutnry town of Tooncany. Where Bridie Farrell is working behind the bar, raising her younger brother Luke who is 17 years old after the death of mother and father who is in Prison for drug bust. Luke is pushing the boundaries hung out with wrong company. But Birdie Farrell family doesn't not have a good reputation in the town she is trying to change this giving her brother a chance at life and to k ...more
Emma Jane
Rating: 3 stars

Review: This was a nice, easy read about two people who fall in love despite all their life dilemmas and challenges. Bridie has always wanted to leave the small country town that she's grown up in , while Shaun has always wanted to stay and run his own farm.

The romance between them was cute and sweet, however wasn't overly passionate or romantic, which are my all time favourite types of books. I definitely think the author could have spruced up the romance department of this book
Bettina
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best book by Karly yet! Liked how two people from different walks of life can come together. Unlike his parents, Shaun didn't judge Bridie because of her families past and saw her for who she really is. Grr I just wanted to strangle Douglas though...such a bastard! No wonder his kids were depressed! It was nice to see that Bridie finally forgave her father too, although I never did understand why he ended up in jail and his brothers didn't...great book!
Jessica
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A light read. Touched on some relevant Australian rural issues. Farming these days in Australia is obviously more technical than just planting and harvesting. I found this interesting. Thanks Karly LAne.
Aileen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Karly Lane. A story that shows you that you can move on from your past and make a future that you didn't expect yourself to be doing. The relationship between Bridie and Shaun was one that no one expected to work but did.
Kiah Stephens
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed this story, I found myself getting frustrated at many points as it seemed with each new challenge it would end with one person walking away.
Otherwise it was a lovely read with believable settings.
Angelita
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Another awesome book by Karly Lane
Jaye
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and felt as thought i was in Bridies shoes as the story has some mirror images of my life.I love it,

• Country at Heart
  • A Country Mile
  • An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • Table For Eight
  • Where the River Runs (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #1)
  • Just One Wish
  • Something in the Wine
  • Talk Of The Town
  • Hartley's Grange
  • The Missing Pieces of Us
  • The Model Wife
  • Fool's Gold (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Something to Talk About
  • My One True North
  • Winning at Life: The perfect pick-me-up for the exhausted parent
  • The Life She Deserves (Granite Springs #1)
Karly Lane lives on the beautiful Mid North Coast of NSW in Australia. A certified small town girl, she is most happy in a little town where everyone knows who your grand parents were. She writes women’s fiction – everything from romantic suspense to family sagas and life in rural Australia. She has romantic suspense titles published under Karlene Blakemore-Mowle and her latest release, Third Time ...more