Start by marking “The River Charm” as Want to Read:
The River Charm

The River Charm

A river pebble on a charm bracelet has an astonishing true story to tell, of one family's bravery and survival in harsh colonial Australia . . .

When artistic Millie visits a long-lost aunt, she learns the true story of her family's tragic past. Could the mysterious ghost girl Millie has painted be her own ancestor?

In 1839, Charlotte Atkinson lives at Oldbury, a gracious es
Published June 3rd 2013 by Penguin Random House Australia (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The River Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Charm

Sue Warren
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Earlier books from Belinda Murrell, such as The Locket of Dreams and The Ruby Talisman, were hugely popular with the 10-13 year old girls in my school libraries. So popular in fact that I never seemed to get to read any of them. Her new novel, The River Charm, is well titled as this reader found it indeed charming and engaging. As a lover of historical fiction and particularly Australian colonial history, this novel ticked all the right boxes.
Based on the family story of the author, who clearly
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lllllllllllooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt
Dimity Powell
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
One of those reads I could imagine my 13 year old self becoming completely absorbed with.
Kerryn Lawson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve come to really enjoy historical fiction written for a younger audience and when the author writes as beautifully as Belinda Murrell does its even easier to read. I found the last part of the book a little rushed and I dearly wish that the cover artwork was different. As beautiful as it was I think it narrows your target audience for the book. That aside, it was a great read.
Ivy Cripps
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I decided that I would like to literally call Belinda Murrell to tell her to keep up her incredible writing (I'm just joking I won't call her but I love her books and I want her to continue) now I'm considering her being one of my favourite authors out of J.K Rowling and Lauren Child. I honestly can't wait to read her other novels (as a student, I am going to read The Lost Sapphire over the holidays. I also have The Forgotten Pearl.) you may have noticed that all the revi ...more
Cara Stevens
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Belinda Murrell's books I've read... and I can assure you that it won't be the last. I enjoyed this exciting story of family adventure so much that I ordered four of her other titles - and I did this before I'd even reached the end of the book! I like Australian history and time slip stories, so this more than ticked those boxes... and I felt completely swept up in the dramatic scenes and vivid moments of the family's life. They were so loving towards each other and desperat ...more
Bethany
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone be sure to vote this book in for the book choice awards!
I love how Belinda Murrell incorporated her fascinating family heritage into this thrilling book filled with adventure and mystery. I have enjoyed reading Murrel's previous book such as:
The locket of dreams
The ruby talisman
The ivory rose
and I'm further hoping to read another one of Murrel's books:
The forgotten pearl!
Overall Belinda Murrell has done a magnificent job on creating a story about some of her ancestors stories and about
Ashleigh
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was enthralled from the first page. I absolutely loved the story and the history behind it and the author's family. I though that this added something extra special to it, something that not many books I have read really have. Whenever I had to put the book aside, I hated it because I had to know what happened to the Atkinson's and Oldbury, but at the same time, I wanted to make the experience last as long as I could, as so often happens with wonderful books, I just have to find that right bal ...more
Christine
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite a heavy story about a family in Australia's early days dealing with all sorts of dramas. The biggest problem they face is an abusive step father and some of the scenes are pretty awful. Plenty of positivity and hope amidst difficult conditions and strange laws of the times. Recommended for Years 6 - 9.
Darcey Kennedy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wide-reading-2
An absolutely perfect book!!! It filled me with emotion, made me laugh, smile, and cry. Belinda really describes the characters and their situations in a way that makes you feel their sorrow, grief, happiness and relief. Only problem: too short! I wanted to keep reading. And also Emily and Louisa's sad ending...
Rania T
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Belinda Murrell has done an excellent job of integrating parts of her real family history into this novel. Highly recommended for use in the English and HSIE classroom, as it paints such a vivd portrayal of life in the Colonial Australia of the 1800's.
Emma
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book that I found i couldn't put down once i started reading. I loved the story as well as the characters. I love all of these books by Belinda and hope to see more in the future.
Sue Krust
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, time-slip
Another absolutely delightful book from Belinda Murrell.
Deb
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great story by Belinda Murrell.
Erin

• Heartland
  • Steal My Sunshine
  • New Guinea Moon
  • The Wishbird
  • Outback Sisters (Bunyip Bay, #4)
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Hope's Road
  • Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend
  • Outback Promise
  • Currawong Creek (The Wild Australia Stories #2)
  • The Incredible Here and Now
  • The Grass is Greener
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Beneath Outback Skies (Outback Dust #1)
  • Some Girls Don't (Outback Heat, #2)
  • Saving Grace
  • The Silent Inheritance
Belinda Murrell has worked as a travel journalist, technical writer, editor and public relations consultant. Her overseas adventures inspired her work as a travel writer for the West Australian newspaper and Out & About With Kids travel magazine. Her work has also appeared in the Sun Herald, Sunday Telegraph and Sydney Morning Herald. While Belinda studied Children's Literature at Macquarie Un ...more