Start by marking “The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)” as Want to Read:
The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)

The Swedish Girl

(DCI Lorimer #10)

Eighteen-year-old Kirsty Wilson can't believe her luck when she lands a room in a luxury Glasgow flat owned by the beautiful Eva Magnusson, a wealthy fellow student from Stockholm. But her initial delight turns to terror when Kirsty finds the Swedish girl lying dead in their home and their male flatmate accused of her murder. Kirsty refuses to accept that he is guilty and, ...more
Published March 7th 2013 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Swedish Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swedish Girl

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I couldn't pass up the chance to read this book with a title like this. I mean The Swedish Girl. It's like it's written just for me...

Anyway, I have read a couple of Lorimer books by now and this one is one of the best so far. I quite enjoyed the storyline with a young girl getting murdered it what seems like an open an shut case. But, is it really so. Jo Grant, the police in charge seem to think so. However, Kirsty, one of the roommate with Eve, the Swedish girl, doesn't believe that her fellow
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

DS Lorimer is back to his old station, but is now the boss. It doesn't take long for a new murder investigation only this time he has to wait for his team to keep him updated.

Eva Magnusson a beautiful, rich college student. Her flatmates are Kirsty, daughter of another detective and Colin, Roger and Gary ... all handpicked by her father.

Kiisty is absolutely horrified to find Eva lying dead in their home, a vicitm of murder. And she is horrified when the police arrest the one man Kirsty
Georgia
Find more in Chill and read
DCI Lorimer, now DS Lorimer, is back in his old division, only that he is now the boss. He has a team of capable officers working for him in the 10th installment of the series taking place in Scottish city of Glasgow.

Eva Magnusson is a beautiful Swedish student at the University. She is leaving in a newly owned flat, her father bought for her, in a poss district of the city. Her flatmates, all hand picked by her father, are four. Kirsty, a detective’s daughter and the
Jacky
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
A good storyline. However some of it difficult to accept. Do the police really suggest that members of the public conduct their own investigations and carry out searches?
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
This story will keep you guessing to the very end as you try to figure out who killed Eva. Gray does a wonderful job of giving you lots of clues and insights into each of the characters and their motives. Then the reader must try to figure out who the murderer or murderers are. I am hooked on Gray's mysteries and her intriguing characters.
Patty
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Swedish Girl
By
Alex Gray

What it's all about...

Murders of young joggers are occurring and actually increasing in frequency. The women who are murdered are similar in appearance. However a young girl is murdered in the house she lives in. The problem is trying to establish a connection with the other murders or even if there is one. And a housemate has been accused and jailed for this murder. But is he the one? Many secrets and lies come out about the murdered housemate that connect other peopl
Sandy
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of a series featuring Glasgow Det. Superintendent Bill Lorimer. All the regulars are back: his wife Maggie (teacher), Prof. Solly Brightman (psychologist/profiler) & Dr. Rosie Fergusson (police pathologist/Solly's wife).
Due to cutbacks, Lorimer has been returned to his old station but now he's the boss & he's welcomed with open arms. He doesn't have long to settle in before they catch their first murder case.
Eva Magnusson seemed to have everything. Money, beauty, brains &
Jane
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book by Alex Gray I have read. I quite enjoyed this although at times I thought it was quite predictable and the interaction between the police and a member of the public "sleuthing " didn't quite ring true. Another Scottish author but for me well behind Ian Rankin or James Oswald in terms of the quality of the writing - not sure if I will read another one.
CuteBadger
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of Alex Gray's Lorimer books, but not for a while so it was great to meet the regular characters again and find out what they're up to. The plot was clever, with a satisfying reveal, and we get to spend some time in Sweden - an interesting comparison with Glasgow.

All in all I enjoyed it a great deal and will now be filling in the gaps with the series' books I haven't read.
Christine Lapping
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was so obvious, the dialogue was clunky, the relationship between Kirsty and Lorimer was unbelievable - as if a senior police officer would act in that way! I won't be wasting any of my time reading more of these.
Connie Wisniewski
This is probably one of the best books I have ever read. Plot and characters are unforgettable. This is the first Alex Gray book I have read, but it won't by my last.
Colin David
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rambling storyline, and poor police work even for Glasgow! Story could have been so much better, my times in a flat in Hyndland were much more exciting and no one got killed!
Lucy
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought the plot was ok, but the writing was a bit overblown and simplistic. Glad I only paid 50p!
Jon
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Decent enough but the premise seems a bit shallow.
Zeb Kantrowitz
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edleweiss-read
Review of “Swedish Girl” by Alex Gray

This is the tenth (of fourteen) installment of the “Lorimer and Brightman” series of police procedurals based in Glasgow Scotland. Lorimer has just been returned to his old precinct and been promoted to Detective Superintendent. His biggest problem is to be the senior detective and not being out on “the streets” doing the actual investigations.

Eva Magnusson is the only daughter of a wealthy Swedish manufacturer. Not only is she a well-to-do exchange student b
Joan
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel is another great one featuring DCI Lorimer. I have read several in the series and continue to enjoy the combination of police procedure and character development. I am getting to know Lorimer, his wife and their friends better. The plot revolves around finding a murderer through understanding the personalities of the victim and the suspects. While there were some hints along the way, the culprit was a surprise to me.

I recommend this novel and the series to those who like a mystery in
Kathleen Gray
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not read all of the Lorimer novels (they're only now being issued in the US) so this was a more or less a standalone for me- but it was also a return to some terrific characters. Lorimer and his pals Solly, Rosie, and Jo are all well rounded and entirely believable as a team who investigate murder in Glasgow. Lorimer has his issues to be sure but he's not the tortured detective cliche. In this case, the team takes on the case of a student accused of killing his wealthy flatmate- Eva. Who wa ...more
Alison Cairns
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent Lorimer story from Alex Gray. As always I love the Glasgow references and following the settings of the story. This was a good one, uncomfortable at times, but I had my trust in Lorimer, back in his native A Division. It will be interesting to see how the dynamic with DI Grant works out in future stories and how Lorimer settles into his senior role. I enjoy the relationships between the characters - Lorimer and Maggie, Solly and Rosie - that we follow from book to book. I felt ...more
Kerry Pickens
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This was a book that was a dark horse for me, and I enjoyed reading it. I had never heard of the author before. The story involves some Glasgow college students living in a shared apartment, and one of the girls is murdered in the apartment. The plot thickens as it is discovered that the victim, the Swedish girl, was very promiscuous and had sex with another roommate, Colin, prior to her murder. So Colin is sent up awaiting his trial for murder, while more murders occur with the same MO. Finding ...more
Vivien
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Another audio book which was quite enjoyable.
It was clear without reading the blurb on the back that the wrong man was arrested initially and it made me cross as there did not seem to be any evidence on which to charge him (although why he and all his friends felt the need to lie to the police was beyond me!). Apart from that the investigation was interesting but not gripping.
Joyce
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book although I had an ingling that it was the old man who committed the murder although I didn’t know why. In comparison to Peter May/Peter James, Alex Gray is a bit of an easier read!!!!
Nicky Mottram
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Ok read, though thought that the Detective Inspector made massive frustrating errors in arresting the suspect with a distinct lack of evidence!!
Eleanor Taylor
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read with a great twist at the end
Louise Smith
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
best Alex gray book I have read yet!
Michelle Nangle
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Looking forward to the next one.
Jack
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder mystery set in Glasgow. Lorimer's team investigate murder in a student flat which proves less straightforward than it initially appears.
Siobhan Harrop-McDiarmid
Good solid story
AILEEN TAYLOR
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It brought Glasgow to life. Looking for ward to reading another of this author's books.
Karen wadey
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable solid Scottish crime novel. I loved the characters and enjoyed the story especially the swedish twist. I will certainly be reading more by Alex Gray.
Robert Dunn
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good police murder mystery set in Glasgow. Who killed Eva was obvious from the beginning. Who was Eva took most of the book to determine. Good read.
  • Lennox (Lennox, #1)
  • Hand For A Hand (DCI Gilchrist, #2)
  • Random (Narey & Winter, #1)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3; Danny McRae, #3)
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • Settled Blood (DCI Kate Daniels, #2)
  • The Silence (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #4)
  • A High Mortality of Doves (Inspector Albert Lincoln #1)
  • The Death of Kings (John Madden, #5)
  • The Second Son (Berlin Trilogy, #3)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • Baptism (Ed Mallory Thriller #1)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming #7)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Sleep Baby Sleep (Pieter Vos, #4)
  • Death in Bordeaux

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (Lorimer #1)
  • A Small Weeping (Lorimer #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (Lorimer #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Bird That Did Not Sing (Lorimer #11)