Start by marking “Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sh*tty Mom: The Parent...

Laurie Kilmartin

Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  1,820 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
Published September 5th 2012 by Abrams Image (first published January 1st 2012)

Erin
First, let me clarify that this is a tongue-in-cheek parenting “guide.” Some of the other reviewers seem to have missed that aspect. So while it’s inappropriate, it’s hilariously so, and as a sh*tty mom myself, I loved it. With chapters like “How to Drop Off Your Sick Kid at Daycare Before the Teacher Figures It Out“ (if you don’t take their temperature, you can’t lie about their temperature!), “Worst Children’s Book: The Giving Tree vs. Love You Forever” (I think we all know the winner here) an ...more
NovelJunkies
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review - 5 Stars

If you answer yes to one or more of the following questions, this book is for you:

1. Have you ever opened a bottle of wine before your kids go to bed, and had at least 2 glasses?

2. When reading your child a bedtime story, do you skip words, sentences, maybe even pages hoping your kid won't notice?

3. Have you failed to get your kid in the bath tub for more than 4 days?

4. Do you bribe with candy and other tooth decaying treats just so you can get through Walmart without everyone st
Tricia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Shitty Mom was shitty!
❀angela
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
I don't have kids yet but this was very, very funny.
Alison
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I laughed out loud before I even finished reading the Contents!

Take the Sh*tty Mom Quiz...go ahead. You know what you'll learn? That you are, like most of us, a Sh*tty Mom. And this is ok. The first step is acceptance, but the difference between this book and other parenting books is that this one will help you to be a sh*tty mom and come out the other side with good kids and a clean conscience.

This book isn't for everyone. For example, if you brought a back-up pacifier instead of wi
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

If you can't answer 'yes' to at least one of the questions in the Sh*tty Mom quiz then I suggest you put this book down and walk away. It takes time to get a little perspective on the whole parenting thing so don't despair, in another year or two, or after another child or two, you will be ready to enjoy the irreverent advice and humour found in this tongue in cheek guide to motherhood.

Sh*tty Mom: The Guide for Good Enough Moms has a structure similar to the early parenting guides you read so i
Sheila
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was Hilarious!!
Hahahahahaha.....
(I am STILL LOL-ing thinking about certain sections.)

I am SUPER proud to say that I raised my 20 year old daughter the “SH*TTY MOM” way!
(This was done out of pure instinct, as there were NO guide book/instructional manual back then!)

I do believe the “Sh*tty Mom” way works, as I am a proud Sh*tty Mom of a healthy, non teenage mother (YES!) with a 3.5 GPA; Structural Engineering major, in her Junior year. Whom I do believe, will put me up in a nice priva
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One might wonder, considering the fact that I am not a parent, why on earth I've been reading so many humorous parenting memoirs lately. The answer? I have no idea, except that some of them (the good ones) make me smile during my breaks at work. Also, hey: someday I may be a parent and it is likely I will need the laughs/ wisdom offered by these authors.

Sh*tty Mom is more pointed and more funny than most of the fluff in its genre. Several chapters--specifically those on baby-naming and dropping
Holly
My brother sent me this and Sh*tty Mom For All Seasons: Half@assing It All Year Long for Mother's Day. He's always sending me funny books, like T-Rex Trying and Go The F*ck To Sleep. He really knocked it out of the park this time. Sh*tty Mom was hilarious and spot-on. I laughed so hard while reading it. I also commiserated with my mom and friends over it. A must-read for any mom who thinks she's doing it wrong. Trust me, you're not alone.
Kerry
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If nothing else, I know for a fact I'm not a Sh*tty Mum. I understand this book is intended primarily for entertainment purposes, but I'm kind of stunned that other reviewers consider it to be full of good advice.

I'm giving it two stars because it made me feel better about the kind of parent I am and because it was a good reminder that sometimes it is appropriate to lighten up. It's humorous, certainly, but also kind of horrifying.
Jody
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy from a bookseller friend - who either thinks I'm a sh*tty mom or that I have a good sense of humor. Ok, I'm not gonna lie, I could have written a few of these chapters, but I also do have a good sense of humor. Hilarious book! Any mom who doesn't think so takes themselves way too seriously.
Emily Dawley
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hilarious
The most hilarious nonfiction book I've read since Shit My Dad Says. (I'm noticing that I've only been reading nonfiction books with shit in the title.) I laughed out loud at every chapter. One of my favorite lines is when they point out that "kid spelled backward is dik." This book takes the serious job of parenting and all of the pressure that comes with it and smacks it right upside the head.
Ellen C
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not actual parenting advice... Just in case you didn't get the joke. It's just a great little funny book that will let you laugh at motherhood, and make you feel better about the stress involved. Quick read.
Debby
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't nearly as hilarious as it seems to think it is, in my opinion. (Or maybe I'm just a stick in the mud with no sense of humor.) It tries too hard. It does make a few good points, but I just didn't find it all that funny, and "funny," I think, is the point of this book. Oh well.
Maria Shuffit
I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I remember seeing it on the shelves years ago when I was working at a bookstore and the idea of having my own kid was a distant concern. I thought it must be full of snark and would likely be something to enjoy later down the line.

Well, that time is now. Like a lot of new mothers who struggle with anxiety and PPD, I have my times where I sit on the couch holding my infant and sobbing and apologizing to him because I am positive that I am the worst m
Felicia
Read over a few weeks. There were some funny chapters but this was not really what I was expecting.
amelia
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
OK, so I'm rating this as a comedic novella, not as a parenting guide.

This book is hysterical, like read bits aloud to my husband hysterical.

There are tongue-in-cheek sections, as the oft quoted here Taking Your Sick Kid to Daycare (seriously that pissed me off so much when my kid was an infant, how dare other parents expose her to their child's germs?! Now she's a toddler and constantly oozing, I'm "paying it forward" too.)

And on playground squabbles: "Only rookies assume their kid is innocent.
Amber
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for every mom. If at first you bristle at the title, take heart. The message here is that as mothers we need to stop taking ourselves so seriously. Children our resilient, and the belief that every small error we make will send them over the edge into drugs, sex, or worse, Rock-and-Roll is not only ludicrous, but slowly draining us of our will to live. This book is about re-discovering that we are adults with brains, and just because we choose to have children doesn't mean we ...more
Camille
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LMFBAO! Seriously. I was laughing so hard on the train that my seatmates were rolling their eyes as I was literally pulling tender stomach muscles. This book is funny as hell and a great antidote to so many of the parenting advice books, magazines, and books out there. Yes, parents, you will do things that may screw your kids up. It's unavoidable. No, you are not always going to be operating on all four cylinders. Parenting is tough work and somebody's gonna do it..and sometimes they are gonna d ...more
May 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Some parts were absolutely hilarious, especially in the 1st 1/3. In fact in the 1st 1/3 of the book, I only cringed once.
The second 2/3s I cringed more than I even thought "Ha" and honestly could not even read it all; I surfed through the titles of the chapters and guessed whether I would find it funny or not.

Despite the fact that I actually did find the moment when I stopped liking the book and calculated the % that was good (33 1/3 %) and the % that I could do with out (66 2/3 %), I actually d
Sonja
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title caught my eye and the first few chapters were amusing. I think a lot about what mothers, especially mothers that work outside the home, do to each other by judging and comparing their lives, talents, interests and priorities, so it was sort of a fun rant on motherhood. Not to be taken too seriously. I've seen funnier versions that hit more truth.
Fabiola Meza Castro
This was very funny! It's one of those books that is perfect for mothers because you can just laugh and nod the whole time thinking "this is soo true even though I'll never admit it out loud". It has different situations and even talks about the "types of moms". I would definitely read this again at some point!
Alana
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have enjoyed this so much more 4 or 5 years ago - with a 7 1/2 year old, much of the baby and toddler jokes are years behind me - but there were still moments where I laughed heartily. Loved the chapter on stopping at one :-)
Harriet
Jun 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, 'your baby's own goal in life is to ruin you'. Thus the book begins and so it staggers on with this tired and juvenile humour. Alas, sprinkling the text with expletives did not make it funnier it just made me feel like I was being shouted at.
Leah
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strongly dislike is a good phrase for this. It was not funny. Out of the entire book I found 1 paragraph funny. The one on the Kardashians. Other than that they were just whiny. Ok if push came to shove I didn't hate the dog mom chapter either. Don't waste your time.
Staci Williams
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty funny and an easy read. I was dying reading the last chapter because it was so sad but so true. Most of the book was very relatable, does that make me a Sh*tty Mom?
Megan
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious. All moms must read for a good laugh.
Morgan Stell
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think between this book and the movie Bad Mom's, I've got my future parenting style solidified.
Elizabeth Drake
This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: This cover is fun. The colors work well, the font is cute and the image of the exhausted mom, sipping a latte and fiddling with her phone while hiding from the kids - is perfect for this title.

The Gist: Sh*tty Mom was written by four moms who are willing to concede that while their children may not grow up to be rocket scientists or president, they will damn well know how to get their own breakfast and turn the TV t
Dani Crane
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it made me laugh. Totally needed in my last week's of being pregnant.

Great laughs
Light hearted
A good smile when your done
Loved this book

Don't be uptight and read this book
  • The Honest Toddler: A Child's Guide to Parenting
  • When Did I Get Like This?: The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I'd Never Be
  • Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
  • Motherhood Comes Naturally (and Other Vicious Lies)
  • Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves
  • Reasons Mommy Drinks
  • What Makes a Baby
  • The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years
  • Moms Who Drink and Swear: True Tales of Loving My Kids While Losing My Mind
  • Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • This Is How I Save My Life: A True Story of Embryonic Stem Cells, Indian Adventures, and Ultimate Self-Healing
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Baby Meets World: Suck, Smile, Touch, Toddle: A Journey Through Infancy
  • If I Have to Tell You One More Time. . .: The Revolutionary Program That Gets Your Kids To Listen Without Nagging, Reminding, or Yelling
Laurie Kilmartin is an American comedienne and writer best known for being a finalist on Last Comic Standing season 7. She is currently a staff writer for the Conan O'Brien show Conan.

Source: Wikipedia
More about Laurie Kilmartin...