Start by marking “Prakruti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution” as Want to Read:
Prakruti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution

Prakruti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution

Excellent introduction to the field of Ayurveda, with special emphasis on the constitutions. Dr. Robert Svoboda is the first, and thus far the only Westerner ever to obtain a degree in Ayurveda.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1988 by Geoco

Start your review of Prakruti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution
Kate Lumsden
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous. Poetic. Deep. The first book I ever read on Ayurveda and I continue to re-read it because Svoboda really brings the beauty of Ayurveda to life. There's also great practical knowledge that's easy to apply. I can't recommend this book more highly for those who want to live healthier and more harmonious lives.
Emily Alp
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Right from the start, the way this man put words together captured me--I felt like he was a father figure because of the combination of care and prudence in his word choice. The cadence of language and his construction of the ideas is lovely and this is essential because the ideas are complex and at times run the potential of clashing with the things we assume contribute to our health, but don't always. Ayurveda was always in the back of my mind a science of health vagaries based on loose ...more
Sara
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Svoboda's book is a wonderful introduction for people new to the 'science of life' as well as a wonderful reference book to have on hand.
pri
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
a good explanation into the doshas (especially covering dual dosha constitutions), imbalance, and how to help heal. definitely worth the read if you're a beginner studying ayurveda.
kate
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The least fluffy, deepest, most grounded, and rawest book on ayurveda I have read so far. Goes way beyond finding out your dosha. Lots of in depth explanation and instruction.
Laura Zurowski
Prakriti is an excellent resource for anyone interested in learning more about Ayurvedic principles for health and wellness. This book is fairly comprehensive and covers much more than just dosha identification and diet.

The disease and rejuvenation sections were particularly interesting for developing an alternate understanding of how illnesses such as IBS, allergies, and asthma develop and can be successfully treated without pharmaceutical interventions. As a Kapha-Vata entering the Vata
Minna
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hippie
I can rarely say that I know a substantial amount more on a subject after finishing a book. Prakriti is an exception. This was one of the smartest purchases I made so far in 2017 & a reference book I plan to return to in the years to come. (And I have read a fair bit on Ayurveda!) Highly recommended.
Fishface
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, how-to
This is an intriguing look into Ayurvedic medicine. Full of advice and recommendations to keep all the different types healthy. It should also help increase people's suspicion of redheads and the folklore that hold that they are constitutionally different from the rest of us.
Bonnie Lind
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, comprehensive book. Clear explanation about Prakriti and why it is important. Everything is clearly explained and that makes it easy to implement the changes to your diet and lifestyle that will bring balance. Love this book.
Brianna Carleton
In my humble opinion, it's the best introductory Ayurveda book out there. You get the sense that the author actually knows what he's talking about as opposed to having recently jumped on the alternative medicine bandwagon. Definitely recommend.
Kevin Skibsted
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on how to use food as medicine. One of the more easier books to read that I've picked up on ayurveda. Robert E. Svoboda thank you for bringing light on so many things concerning food and what we put inside of us.
Ankur Aggarwal
The content of the book is great and many of the things are quiet new for me.

This book will give you all the pointers to find your body type(Dosha) viz Vata,Pitta And Kapha or may be combination of these three.
At some points you lose interest because of the writing style of the author.Some time book jump into deep philosophy and forgets its informative tinge.That’s the reason I rated it 3 but it’s actually 3.8

A must read book if you want to know your basic making according to Ayurveda and how
zeknir
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, plant-medicine
wonderful. very heavy and it took me a while to read simply because, as one without any prior ayurvedic knowledge, i needed time to digest everything. i will definitely be rereading this throughout time and referring back to particular sections. i’m already excited to go back and reread some of the earlier chapters now that i feel i have more comprehensive knowledge.
Stephanie
This was a good intro into Aruveda. Some of the writing was hard for me to understand being so new to the topic. Wish it would have broken down things a bit more after you learned whether you were Pitta, Kapha, or Vata. Loved learning about the Doshas. Probably pick up some more books on that topic.
Z
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I wish this book would be made part of school curricula. This basic, accessible knowledge of the human body and mind has the power to transform how you live and how you evolve in this lifetime. None of Svoboda's remedies and explanations are unnecessarily esoteric - mens sana in corpore sano is best achieved with simple, natural and inexpensive changes to diet, routine and thinking. Prakriti is an invaluable guide in this effort.
Katja Riya
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classical entry in Ayurveda.
In general, it has all the basic information that is needed.

As for me, I would like to add that to live completely on Ayurveda is a rather ridiculous (considering the way hindus are living as well as defference between the modern world and the past), but some things are really helpful and easy to verify in practice, because it's interesting to experiment and test Ayurveda on yourself.
Melanie Deal
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, as it broke down things in a very easy-to-understand way. I definitely use this book a lot to help me with figuring out what I should be eating and how I should be moving/exercising based on where I am experiencing imbalances. I think this is a great reference for anyone newer to Ayurveda.
Nadia
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I am currently re-reading this book as it is so good - it is great for those new to ayurveda because it is so easy to read. Other books by the likes of David Frawley and Vasant Lad are just as good but I feel those are best for when you know more about ayurveda (but that really isn't a criticism against those authors).
Sujata Sahni
Prakriti means nature in Sanskrit. A great book that covers the ancient aspects of Ayurveda in simple language to achieve physical, mental and spiritual well being for constant evolution. It helps you understand your ayurvedic constitution and what you need to do to achieve a balance and touches upon habits of eating, routine, life style, handling disease and enabling rejuvenation.
Melanie
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short overview of ayurveda. I actually consider this a text, as it was reviewed by one of the pioneer's in american ayurveda. I think this is the best written book on ayurveda I have come across so far, and I refer to it often. It could benefit from additional detail describing food choices for each dosha.
Deb
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, ayurveda
This is one of the best, most accessible books to learn about one's Ayurvedic Constitution. It's also one of the only books I've come across that comprehensively addresses the dual constitutions (of which I'm one!) so I'm thrilled to finally have this book. I will be turning to this book as a reference again and again.
Jen
Oct 27, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm studying ayurvedic medicine..so...my text books..
Su
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A useful and very usable text book. Its on my prescribed text book list, and I am pleased it is there.
Angelica
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting way to get to know and understand the nature of your body
Jobie
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Not a horrible book. If you are interested in Ayurveda its a goto resource and initial read. It was recommended to me by my teacher.
Zainab
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic introductory text on Ayurveda.
Janergy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Svoboda writes concisely and clearly - a wonderful introduction to Ayurveda!
Molly
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great westerner's practical and informational guide to Ayurveda. I follow its principles off and on and they truly make a difference when I'm on them.
Colleen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very interesting introduction to Ayurveda. I'll be digesting it for some time...
Zazie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent introductory book to ayurveda.

• Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing
  • To Love and Let Go
  • Ayurveda and the Mind
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • Healthy Happy Sexy: Ayurveda Wisdom for Modern Women
  • Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
  • Eat, Taste, Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Inward
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
During and after my formal Ayurvedic training I was tutored in Ayurveda, Yoga, Jyotisha, Tantra and allied subjects by my mentor, the Aghori Vimalananda. He also owned thoroughbred race horses, and I served as his Authorized Racing Agent at the Royal Western India Turf Club in Bombay and Poona between 1975 and 1985.
“You retain your health only so long as you are willing to forgive your stresses, shrug off adversity and adapt to new situations. Resistance to change always impedes the workings of your immunity. An old Sanskrit proverb tells us kshama chajanani: the essence of motherly love is forgiveness. Damage to the ahamkara-mother predisposes us to disease by weakening our innate forgiveness.” 9 likes
“Indulgence is a legitimate life goal, but it is only one of four life goals. No life is completely lived unless each of these goals is achieved. They are:
Dharma, the goal of fulfilling the duties assigned to us by our positions in society;
Artha, the goal of accumulating possessions in the course of fulfilling our duties;
Kama, the goal of satisfying legitimate desires with the assistance of one's accumulated possessions; and
Moksha, the goal of realizing that there is more to life than duty, possessions and desires.”
4 likes