Start by marking “The Last Bad Job” as Want to Read:
The Last Bad Job

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Last Bad Job

The Last Bad Job is the story of a reporter with a hell of an assignment: Five months on a New Mexico desert compound to cover what may be the next Jonestown. For the reporter, it could be a career-maker. But when a cult member close to him drowns herself, he decides to run for it, and sets unimaginable events into motion. What ensues is a dark and comic journey through se ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Bad Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Bad Job

J. Laing
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Throw convention out the door and tape mayonnaise-coated aluminum foil over the windows and appliances. Things are going to get real...and then get real weird.

When the cat is at the doggy door barking to get in and the cabby is honking from the curb to shuttle you to a flight you never booked, it's then that you'll know you're full and settled deep into a read that is at turns puzzling and all the while back of your brain provoking. That, and that mayonnaise-coated aluminum foil window treatment
Kevin Kosar
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books that I really had a hard time putting down. The story takes crazy turns and the novel is hugely entertaining, albeit in a sardonic way. I buzzed through this novel in four nights.
Danielle
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I don't really know what to say about this book, so I'll keep it short and simple. It reads like a story one of my patients who is high out of their mind would tell me. Regardless, it was an interesting ride.

This was a goodreads giveaway book.
Mary C. Moore
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sex, drugs, and... a cult? Dodds takes us on one hell of an adventure. Seen from the first person perspective of a journalist, (a recovering alcoholic and somewhat self-absorbed, self-destructive persona) we are thrown into the story by observing the suicide of the girl he's been sleeping with, who also happens to be a member of a insane end-of-the-world cult. The journalist, who is not named, has been sent on assignment to observe the cult master "Dizzy" and his loony pseudo religious ways out ...more
Christopher Keeble
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best endings I've read in a long time. Funny, interesting, and very different.
Pick it up if you need a breath of fresh air.
Caleb Blake
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2013/06/01/the-last-bad-job-by-colin-dodds/)

A suicide cult nearing its fate, a reporter tumbling towards self-destruction and a world spinning towards its end. When the dominoes start falling and mayhem reigns, who will be left to laugh at the result?

There’s only a few things that need to be understood about the plot in The Last Bad Job. A reporter is sent by a magazine to cover a suspected suicide cult. When thi
Marissa van Uden
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted at http://www.marissavu.com/2014/01/the-...

“For certain people and in certain times, self-control is a luxury, not a virtue. And I have never been rich enough to afford it consistently.”

The Last Bad Job is a dark, weird apocalyptic trip with profanity, paranoia, and comedy–a beautiful elemental mix.

The protagonist, who kinda oddly goes nameless for the whole book, is a detached, cynical journalist embedded in a suicide cult at a ranch in New Mexico. He’s hoping
Rod Raglin
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
An apocalyptic story with a sense of humor

Thank you Colin Dodds for your hard work and commitment to this worthwhile endeavor.

The Last Bad Job is an apocalyptic story with a sense of humor. Author Colin Dodds populates his novel with such small “d” despicable characters, seedy settings and immoral scenarios this reader didn’t really care that the majority of them would come to a gruesome, meaningless end.

What makes this novel standout, makes it exceptional is the writing – natural dialogue, cha
Erin
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Totally unexpected and thorougly enjoyable. Reminiscent of the tone in John Dies At the End, if not quite so laugh-out-loud funny (but it did have its moments - there's a lot of reflection on Pringles). There is a lot going on here it begins in a cult and actually gets crazier from there. If you like this type of book giving anything else away would be to spoil the ride, but, at base, the main character (who I don't think is ever named) is a journalist, an observer and "the National Geographic g ...more
Julie
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book and a request for a review.

That said, this is the weirdest story I've read in a very long time. I don't really care much for weird stories. And yet... I realized that while I was trying to figure out whether or not I'd finish the book, and whethe
Melinda
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Apocalyptic Novel in Last Five Years

Smart, satirical, edgy and mad look at the end of our world. If you have a pet theory how the world ends, Dodds will have included it. We follow our unnamed journalist through one harrowing ordeal after another, leaving blood, carnage and new underwear in his wake. He is on the trail of the story that will get him a Pulitzer, as he is observing a Death Cult in New Mexico. They predicts the end is nigh. Little does our journalist know, he is the spark that
Nathaniel Tower
Almost half of a good book

The first page almost made me quit reading, but I fought through it and started to enjoy this story. It seemed like it was going to be a pretty interesting glimpse into the world of suicide cults. However, the story goes completely off the rails a little over halfway through. It becomes an uninteresting and nonsensical snoozefest of reflection and foolishness. The writing is never that strong, but the voice captured me for a 100 or so pages before it felt like a bad LSD
Joan Sherwood
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a dark, exciting, crazy book! The book is clearly about the Apocalypse, but other than that I have no idea what the book is about.

Was there a message I should get out of the book? I'm not sure.

Who is this man who is the narrator of the book and why do the events that surround him happen? I can't say.

Why would anyone care about the narrator? I have no idea--he is not in the least likable.

But the writing is beautiful. The story line is intriguing. I just kept reading--I couldn't figure
Judy
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-read-wins
Another goodreads Win! I had a really difficult time deciding how to rate this book because this is not the type of book I would normally read and I didn't want that to negatively impact the rating. It's well written. The story is well told. I don't really care much for weird stories. And yet... I realized that while I was trying to figure out whether or not I'd finish the book I couldn't put it down. If you just like weirdness, you'll love this story.
Caesar Warrington
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suicide cults, bloody murder, tacky roadside motels, all night supermarkets, killer frogmen and clean underwear... so much of this disturbing yet humorous novel reads like the beat literature of the early-60's. A tale of the apocalypse that seems as if it's being directed by a God with one twisted sense of humor.
Wayne Klick
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not your average suspense novel. I enjoyed the story and its unconventionality. (Yes, apparently that is a word. [The spellchecker didn't complain.]) It starts on a cult colony in New Mexico and ends in Alaska. That just should be just enough of a spoiler to not spoil anything, but arouse interest. You might check it out if it's still cheap on Amazon.
Robbi Leah  Freeman
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
okay but too much rambling, May 31, 2013

This review is from: The Last Bad Job (Kindle Edition)
Another end of the world book. Started good but then got into a bunch of rambling, drunken, drug high thoughts that didn't make a lot of sense. Then got interesting again but too many questions left unanswered. I wouldn't recommend.
Paul Canady
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first 60% of the book read like a Hunter S. Thompson book. There are some funny parts and some moments you'll find yourself cringing waiting to see what happens next. About the time you think the protagonist is very unlikeable, the World comes crashing down, literally.
Candace
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy. Good.

This was a really interesting take on an apocalypse novel. I definitely wasn't expecting it. The humor in it was great, and this author's style actually reminds me of my favorite author. Overall, I thought it was pretty great.
Kathy LaMee
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review coming on 2/25.....
International Cat Lady
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
WTF? This book was really quite bizarre. The plot goes off in incredibly strange directions, and it never really explains itself. I can't decide if it was brilliant or the ramblings of a madman.
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
unusual and oddly addictive. it didn't go quite where I thought it would.
Eliese Davis
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
On the Road meets the Road meets Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. A quick and easy "escape reality" read.
Jeridel Banks
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bizarro fans
If you could do one thing after you got the pink slip, what would it be? Throw smoldering fries onto a bratty customer at your local fast food restaurant? Kick your cell phone manager of ten years in the butt for all of the times he made you work overtime? Or vandalize your supervisor’s office while she writes another employee up for being two minutes late to your warehouse job?

In Colin Dodds’ The Last Bad Job, the main character joins a cult on the verge of becoming the next Jonestown. As a rep
Jeanne Johnston
Jan 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
I went by the reviews that said this was funny and dark and witty. About halfway in, I was kicking myself for picking another male author, still cringing at the last pointlessly depressing tale I should have bailed on.

Yes, there are Vonnegut moments here, but none of the fun. It's dark, it's dismal, you can see the pointlessness of it all as you keep reading, but for some reason, keep reading in the hopes as that blob down the road starts to come into focus, it will somehow be worth it.

But I got
Kimmie Thomas
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The last bad job is a book about a reporter named.... Actually the book never did say what his name was, but he was on an assignment in the desert to cover the story of a life time. He is on a commune and decides it's time to leave when someone dies. After he leaves the commune, a series of events send his world in a head spin. He meets strange people along the way that are pivotal in his decision making. By the end of the book the story finally comes full circle and you realize what the last ba ...more
Courtney
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
There aren’t many other ways to describe this book than that it is interesting.
This novel basically involved everything in its storyline: religion, cults, drugs, sex, alcohol, and the apocalypse.
It is an apocalyptic thriller based on the teachings on a cult leader “Dizzy” and the reporter put on the assignment from hell.
From how it starts, you will never guess the ending. I like books like that, though. Very unpredictable they keep you engaged.
It takes you through Dizzy’s cult and teachings.
Bob
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
well, this book meets one of the criteria of books that interest me, it's unusual. unfortunately, that was the only thing this book had going for it. the plot sounds like it should be interesting. a reporter goes to live in a suicide cult in order to record its last gasps and, hopefully witness a james jones-style mass suicide by the cult. the leader of the cult, aptly named Dizzy, is typical in his last days prophecies of total destruction just around the corner. now i'm highly recommending tha ...more
Geoffrey
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This was presented as the story of a journalist doing onsite research for a story on a potentially suicidal cult. He’s never fully identified – at least not in the part I read – but the various members of the cult are. They are not, however, fleshed out as real people. They felt like constructs designed to fill simply occupy a portion of the story and little else. Well, that and have sex with each other.

The first sentence of the story is crude. The first chapter has a suicide no one seems to car
Brian Borgford
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not what I was expecting and I didn't really enjoy the book. It started out interesting with lots of suspense building up and then a unique chapter to move smoothly to the next phase. However the next phase, although again artfully building more suspense, just rambled on and on with no apparent purpose. The author has a unique style of writing which enhances the reading somewhat, but the disjointed story made for a difficult read.

I'm not prepared to trash the story or the writing, but the buyer
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Taming Me: Memoir of a Clever Island Cat
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • Seefer Elliot and the World Aside Ours (Seefer Elliot, #1)
  • Island Fever
  • Containment (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse, #2)
  • There Comes a Prophet
  • Among the Dead
  • Angelus (The Human Genus, #1)
  • Seduction of the Scepter
  • Outcast (Apocalyptia, #1)
  • Sophia
  • The Reawakening
  • Too Dark to Sleep
  • The Northern Star: The Beginning
  • First World Problems: 101 Reasons Why The Terrorists Hate Us
  • The Fall (The God Slayers Quartet #1)
  • Heaven 2.0
  • a beautiful mess
Colin Dodds is a writer. He grew up in Massachusetts and lived in California briefly, before finishing his education in New York City. Since then, he’s made his living as a journalist, editor, copywriter and video producer. His poems, short stories and essays have appeared in more than three hundred publications, been nominated for the Pushcart Prize and the Best of the Net Anthology. He is the au ...more
“it may sound strange, but I think atheists are the most religious people in the world.” 1 likes
“It’s the million-dollar question: How do you get between someone and their self-destruction?” 0 likes