Start by marking “The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic: How Engaging 1% of Catholics Could Change the World” as Want to Read:

What FOUR things did... Mother Theresa, Francis of Assisi, John Paul II, Catherine of Siena and Ignatius of Loyola all have in COMMON?

THEY ALL PRACTICED THE FOUR SIGNS.

Over the course of the past few years, The Dynamic Catholic Institute has conducted research to explore the difference between engaged and disengaged Catholics.  The results of this research are staggering.
Published 2012 by Beacon Publishing

Shawn the big poppa pump
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite Matthew Kelly books... I think I’m gonna to practice the four signs of being catholic...
Ann
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary. Reminded me how proud I should be to be Catholic.
Did you know the Catholic Church feeds more people a day than McDonald's?
Did you know that Catholic education saves the U.S. government eighteen billion dollars a year?
Do not have the statistics on Catholic hospitals, but know their impact must be significant!
I'm going to try every day to be the best version of myself and stand up for my church!
(Lynne, I ordered a copy for you)
Kevin Montes
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
It is no secret that the Catholic Church has been struggling to maintain a strong foothold in American culture and society. Secularism is on the rise, relativism takes precedence as the primary moral philosophy, and a disdain for all things sacred, ancient, and orthodox is common among the people. Times have changed, and a response is necessary. This was the spirit of Vatican II, the message behind Pope John Paul II's call for the New Evangelization, and the reason Matthew Kelly states "It is ti ...more
Kristy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: emily, april, jill, cindy
Recommended to Kristy by: Priest
We received this book as a Christmas gift from our parish priest after Christmas mass. We were one of the thousands of parishioners to get a free copy from our priest. I've read several Matthew Kelly books, so I was excited to read it. The first chapter summed it up beautifully: "This book is not about overwhelming you. Wherever you are in your spiritual journey, this book is about taking the next small step toward becoming a Dynamic Catholic. At the end of each chapter I hope you can say to you ...more
Georgia
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biggest-letdowns
While I liked some of the practical tips in this book and certainly admire Kelly's work in addressing the major and apparent deficits in the Catholic Church, I felt the book had a couple problems. The writing is meant to be clear and simple to reach a wide audience, though at times it came off as condescending in its simplicity. I also felt that Kelly's 7% of dynamic Catholics statistic failed to really look enough at some essential Catholics-- those perhaps separated from parishes doing mission ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
To be honest this book has been on to be read list for a few years. But every time I went to read it, I always ended up starting something else. But over the last year I have read 11 books by Matthew Kelly and it was time to work through this one. The interesting thing is once I overcame the resistance to start it I could not put it down. The book is easy to read, but will take a lifetime of effort to apply. The book is about becoming engaged so that we can be used by God as tools to engage and ...more
Kathy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I read this with my prayer group. We are all at very different points in our faith journey. Sometimes it seems like we are traveling in opposite directions. However, each member of our group liked this book a lot. We all walked away with concrete steps that will help us grow into "the best versions of our selves." It is rare to find a book that speaks so clearly to both spiritual newbees and spiritual giants.
Emily  at Reaching While Rooted
I got this book from my church, and I thought there were some wonderful and practical points made in "The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic" BUT it could have been condensed to a quarter of the pages. I felt like the writing was repetitive, and Kelly spent a lot of time focusing on his own work and accomplishments with his organization. It made me feel like the book was more about the author than teaching me how to become a better Catholic.

What Catholicism needs is good, quality works of literat
Chris
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think Matthew Kelly is one of the best everyday evangelists of our day. If you ever heard him speak, you know he combines charming wit with theological truth. This book is everything you would want from Kelly. He provides practical ways to grow as a Catholic, as well as outside-the-box thinking to help you think of your faith in new and innovative ways. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to deepen their faith life with God.
Jenn
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Catholics
Recommended to Jenn by: St. Anastasia Parish Council
Shelves: catholic-books
Matthew Kelly does a great job of making information related to the faith both accessible and engaging.

There are four things which are common to people who are most engaged in their faith. Matthew walks us through each of these four things and gives concrete examples of how to work on these in our own lives in manageable steps (or continuous improvement, as he calls it).

It encourages us to look at these things from an individual perspective, as well as parish and Church-wide views.
Yvonne Innes
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Kelly's books are always a pleasure to read. They are down-to-earth and never intimidating. They are for everyone. I laughed when he introduced the 80/20 business model and loved his game changer perspective. A man leading by example, he employs his particular talents liberally. His approach speaks to everyone. Although each reader will benefit in a different way, the results all lead to the same ultimate human goal.

As I read his words, another book, one I couldn't finish, came to mind. All
Louise
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. It has certainly offered many ways of enriching my Faith that I will do.
Hedlun
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
In both of Kelly's books that I have read I think he does a good job of breaking things into clear, simple steps. Although the first three signs, (prayer, study, and generosity)focus on the deepening of an individual's faith, the fourth sign and larger goal is evangelization. I saw a lot of myself in his critique of modern Catholics, including a lack of interest in evangelization. It's no small task to be open to that kind of self-examination, and while I will take some things away from this boo ...more
Terry Koressel
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admit it. I was a non-practicing Catholic despite attending Catholic schools for all but 3 years, including college. Dynamic Catholic changed this....changed me. I now attend Church regularly with my wife; I've adopted a whole new outlook on life and the meaning of life; I work hard to make a difference in other people's lives everyday. I have a long, long way to go but Matthew Kelly's Dynamic Catholic certainly set me on a path to become a better human being and a better Catholic. Thanks to m ...more
Irene
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
This has the feel of a self-help book written in the voice of a motivational speaker. Since I generally do not enjoy self-help books and motivational speakers, I did not really enjoy this book. Kelly’s premise is that commitment to daily personal prayer and on-going learning about the Catholic faith, generous sharing of one’s resources and joyful sharing of one’s faith will lead to a happier, healthier, more prosperous and meaningful life. Although I do not disagree that these can be valuable sp ...more
Adam
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Practical advice for engaging non-active Catholics. Four seemingly basic signs of a dynamic Catholic (Prayer, Study, Generosity, Evangelization), but Kelly does a good job of highlighting aspects we don't normally think about. This book is really aimed at those who are not "Dynamic Catholics" but there are still a lot of good takeaways for those who are, and there are some good ideas for how parishes can better engage their parishioners.
Cyl Jarasa
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Took me awhile to get through it, but I am really glad that I got the chance to read this book! It is very enlightening and inspiring since it breaks down how to be a better Catholic through for signs that will make you become a Dynamic Catholic. I like how it reminds us that we are continuously learning and should strive to become the-best-version-of-yourself. Definitely a good book to use to help evangelize what being Catholic is really all about.
Jodi
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Catholiics
Recommended to Jodi by: JoEllen Frist
Some things to think about to be a better Christian. The two biggest things I took away from this book was that I need to be better about praying daily and be more generous with others. Love the prayer process that was mentioned in the book and am going to introduce this to my CCD students - gratitude, awareness, significant moments, peace, freedom, others, and praying the Our Father. This is such a great way to work through prayer and covers so many important points!
Christy Medlock Browning
I started reading it during Lent and wasn't compelled to read it quickly. While I liked some of the ideas presented, and am more sympathetic to the plight of the Catholic Church after reading it, I felt it was repetitive. Perhaps The author promised so many pages and was trying to get to that mark. I will pass the book on and practice the four signs more consciously now as I do believe the Catholic Church is in trouble and we need more Dynamic Catholics.
Robert Murphy
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
So far I have enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

Once you find out what the four signs are it makes sense and seems to easy but how many of us actually do what he says...not many is the answer.

The signs are simple and so is the book but his idea, the most important part, is strong. This book isn't heavy on theology or scripture but is a good easy read.
Justin Morgan
I like Matthew Kelly. read Rediscover Catholocism and loved it. I have to admit that i didnt make it through this one. It was a good book but I noticed the same overall message as Rediscover Catholicism.
Emily
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspirational. The author takes a realistic view of the catholic church and introduces practical ways to make it better. It starts with each person putting in a little more effort. He is persuasive and logical and he inspired me to review my spiritual health and apply his ideas to improve it.
Shelly Troup
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book a must read for every Catholic!
Grace
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiring
"Let us sit with God for a few minutes each day and dream with him,and with the vision he places in our hearts, go out into the world with a contagious love that cannot be ignored."
Jane Cruickshank
It was spiritually encouraging. He guides anyone how to be the best version of themselves. How to start the process in a simple direct plan.
Chris H Koerber
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great call to action book. I'm going to reread it - I'm thinking this would be a great topic for a study class at my parish. It's time to take action!
Karen
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish this book either (didn't finish the first one I read). Too preachy and no emphasis on women and their roles being improved in the Catholic Faith.
Roseyreads
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Read quickly. Lots of good ideas and information.
Tanya
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very motivating and encouraging in todays times.. This book provided me with the exact encouragment I've been looking for. It also gives me hope in the future of the church.
Todd Payne
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably his best effort. A real eye opener about the sad state of affairs in the Church.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Interior Freedom
  • Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor: How I Discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church
  • 7 Secrets of Confession
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
Matthew Kelly was born in Sydney, Australia, where he began speaking and writing in 1993. Since that time he has travelled in more than fifty countries and spoken to over four million people. He has written twelve books which have appeared on the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestseller lists and have been published in twenty-five languages. His titles include: The Rhythm of L ...more
“The Prayer Process 1. Gratitude: Begin by thanking God in a personal dialogue for whatever you are most grateful for today. 2. Awareness: Revisit the times in the past twenty-four hours when you were and were not the-best-version-of-yourself. Talk to God about these situations and what you learned from them. 3. Significant Moments: Identify something you experienced today and explore what God might be trying to say to you through that event (or person). 4. Peace: Ask God to forgive you for any wrong you have committed (against yourself, another person, or him) and to fill you with a deep and abiding peace. 5. Freedom: Speak with God about how he is inviting you to change your life, so that you can experience the freedom to be the-best-version-of-yourself. 6. Others: Lift up to God anyone you feel called to pray for today, asking God to bless and guide them. 7. Finish by praying the Our Father.” 5 likes
“Life is about saying yes to the things that help you become the-best-version-of-yourself and no to the things that don’t.” 3 likes