Start by marking “X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve” as Want to Read:
X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve

X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve

(X-Men vs. Apocalypse #1)

Collects Uncanny X-Men #376-377, Cable #73-76, X-Men #96-97, Wolverine #145-147 and material from X-Man #59.

Setting his grand plan for godhood into motion, Apocalypse dispatches his agents to capture the world's most powerful mutants, the fabled Twelve: Professor X, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Iceman, Sunfire, Polaris, Cable, Bishop, Mikhail Rasputin, the Living Monolith an
Published March 19th 2008 by Marvel (first published April 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1

Start your review of X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve
Nicolo
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-unlimited
I remember when I was still following the main X-books monthly, which was two decades ago and this was a story that I was quite excited for. The Twelve or the twelve mutants that were supposed to lead mutantkind into the future has been teased for so long. It even had a hype piece in Wizard Magazine. I got the first two chapters and then I had to move and I wasn't able to get my comics anymore. I was able to get snippets of the story in the intervening years, but it wasn't until recently that I ...more
Baba
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Finally after years of hints about The Twelve, we get the whole story, but what should have been a masterclass in Apocalypse lore just doesn't quite take.
Shannon Appelcline
This is a story that's been a long-time coming, ever since The Twelve were first mentioned in the late '80s or early '90s. This volume deals with the concept fairly, has a lot of nice integration with the Cable series, and also has a great ending. With that said, the execution is just fair. There's too much plot-required capturing, too little character agency, and the writers were allowed to go wacky and bring in too many other concepts (most notably the Skrulls). Beyond that, it's fairly typica ...more
Evan
Sep 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Absolute dreck. This is the storyline that caused me to drop, cold turkey, my monthly X-Men comic habit.

The ending with "Apocaclops" (or "Cyclopalypse" depending on which comic book fan site you frequent) is unintentionally hilarious, too!
Adam Stone
This would be another two star entry in the Alan Davis era of the X-Men except for a couple of side story issues. The collection begins with an excellent Wolverine issue by Erik Larsen and Leinil Francis Yu. It's miles beyond Yu's previous X-Men work, and unlike any other X-Men art of the era.

There's also Rob Liefeld's two best issues ever of Cable. Drag him for his inconsistency all you want, his two Cable issues here are undeniably his style, but they seem much more confident (as opposed to ov
Jake
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was very excited for this graphic novel, I had read bits as comics when I was a preteen, but could never find the missing parts of the story, so naturally I was very intrigued.

This graphic novel was really more about Cable then the x-men, which was fine, I didn't know much about Cable and his segments were interesting. The real problem with the story is it was very disjointed and jumped around. When ever a group of X-men were gearing up to fight, it would show them in a pose and then jump awa
Judah Radd
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-comics
Fuck yeah.

The last few issues of this collection are some of the most intense and exciting X moment I’ve ever read. This is definitely the most exciting shit since Onslaught. Damn!

We knew Apocalypse was a dangerous badass. We knew it from Age of Apocalypse... but we never truly saw it until now. The climax of this story (and ensuing cliffhanger) are nothing short of breathtaking.

The art fluctuates, but maintains a decent standard and at it’s worst, serves the story. Tom Raney provides some gues
Klaus
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the issues in this collection were ok but nothing special, but it gets an extra star or two for Wolverine #147 which one of the best issues there is, in my opinion.
The art quality is all over the place. Some of it is great, most isn't.
Roman Colombo
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
I was enjoying this, a lot, thinking it was much better than people have it credit for. It was always the "most disappointing" Apocalypse story. But it was so good, so epic. ..until the last issue in this volume. It really fell hard.
Jdetrick
There's just too many crossovers in this line. It makes for disjointed stories. I'd love to read a story that just took place in one of these titles.
B
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
A lot of this is pretty connfusing. But it worked out alright.
Daniel
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: uxr-era-09
Adam Fisher
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remember reading these individual issues when I was growing up, and with the recent resurgence of Apocalypse interest, I thought I'd try them again.
Overall, not as great as I remember, and not anywhere near to the amazing "Age of Apocalypse" storyline, but still good nonetheless.
All these nostalgic comics I've been rereading are reiterating for me how much the power of a great story is alive in even a genre long shunned by "serious readers".
Recommend, and especially with the new movie in the w
Jen
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The beginning of this volume was strong and really had me interested; the middle was still going pretty steady; interest toward the mid-end plummeted, like a rock. The storyline kept jumping around, the various plots didn't intersect well (if at all), and there was a lot that is left unexplained. I had really high hopes at the beginning so this is more of a disappointment. (Why is (view spoiler) even HERE!?!?!) There was also a lot of repetition in thought bubbles ...more
Kristina
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as I was hoping it would be considering the build up for years in the comic books about who the "12" were and what that meant to Apocalypse's rise to power. Reading it as a graphic novel made the thread of the plot feel disjointed. I'm still thrilled to be reading about some of my favorite characters, but there was enough material present that it could have been a stronger storyline.
Eric Mikols
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: x-men
Old stuff, and not great. I got into comics just a little after all this business and I might have loved it back then, but today it's dated as only late 90's X-Men can be. In fact, that area might be the least interesting time for the X-Men yet. This has some decent moments, but as a whole, it's too long and full of exposition.
Timo
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was just plain awful. Too much characters doing stuff nobody understood why they were doing stuff. And then they pause and talk endlesly how crappy it is for mutants and how Xavier's dream is good. And go on doing something.
There were couple good ideas at the very end of the book. Maybe that justifies the existence of this.
Tom Webster
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I remember reading this when it was first published...back then I sort of liked it but now I can safely say I was sort of wrong.

The art is poor, the characterisation is weak in places and the story reeks to high heaven.

Generally a bit of a mess even by 90 ' comic standards.
Jason
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't have enough backstory to really be able to appreciate this. It's proabably not fair to rate it so low, but it was work to get through. Reminds me to appreciate how overwhleming superhero comics can be to the uinitiated.
Matthew Ledrew
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Very bad story. Very bad art. I remember looking forward to this story when I was a kid and being dissapointed, and felt the same way re-reading it for this trade. It doesn't even end. It highlights the worst of 90s storytelling trends in comics, and thankfully led to better things.
Jon
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
The story begins. Read this to see how much the movie adapted from it. Spoiler: hardly anything at all.
William Thomas
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Could the creative teams and editors have made more of a mess of the X books if they wanted to? Complete trash, too much flash and no story. Don't waste time or money. This was ludicrous.
Adam
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Taken me forever to read this. The art was mess and the story was all over the place. I normally love anything X-Men but this was a travesty of a story...
J.
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
The essence of a plot is here, but the speed just picks up and lets down repeatedly. This should have been like 3 comics instead of like 12.
Chris Coy

• X-Men: The Hunt for Professor X
  • Thor By Dan Jurgens & John Romita Jr. Volume 4
  • Spider-Verse
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 4: The Life and Death of Spiders
  • ईदगाह (Illustrated Edition)
As a child growing up in Bellingham, Washington and Albion, California, Erik Larsen created seveal comic books featuring versions of a character named 'Dragon.' He eventually published a fanzine, which led to his doing professional work on a comic book called Megaton for creator Gary Carlson. It was here that he introduced the Dragon, a super powered superhero, to the comic-reading masses.
After a

X-Men vs. Apocalypse (2 books)
  • X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 2: The Ages of Apocalypse