Start by marking “Vampire Baby” as Want to Read:
Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby

When Tootie gets her first teeth, it’s clear to her big brother that she’s no ordinary baby. But how to convince Mom and Dad?

It happens overnight: little sister Tootie goes from cuddly, ga-ga-googoo, I-want-my-ba-ba baby...vampire baby. Now she’s sinking her pointy fangs into everything — furniture, toys, and especially her big brother ("Youch, Tootie! No bite!" ). Mom ins
Published July 9th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Baby

Jennie Smith
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I have to say that I have often thought my siblings were strange, but never pegged them for vampire babies! Tootie, however, definitely fits the bill. This cute story of one sibling trying to get used to the new baby and all her oddities is a must have for all parents with new babies coming in. The lesson learned is... well, you will just have to read it!
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Little sister Tootie is a cuddly, baby until one nightshe turns into Vampire Baby. She sinks her teeth into everything. This is a new look at sibling stories and how families learn to love one another. The illustrations are acrylic, watercolor, collage, pencil. Ink. And pastels. Love the book. Beautiful illustrations.
Pam
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tootie starts out like a normal cuddly baby. When her first teeth come in they have her brother convinced she is a vampire baby. He just have to convince their parents her love of biting and the fangs all point to her being a vampire baby.

When I received this book for review it took hours for me to get to read it. Why you may ask? Because my three year old took it and looked at it for hours. Every time I would try to get it from her or try to read it to her she would throw a fit. So it was a goo
Marni
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First I wish to thank the author and publisher for providing me a print copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I am a lover of books and have been since I was a little girl. I can't remember my mother ever reading to me, but my earliest memories of are me having a trunk full of Golden Books, Arch Books and picture books in all shapes and sizes. I tried ready to my first born, but she never wanted me to. Luckily, my twins loved being read to, especially Madison. I can honestly say th
Barbara
Adorable Tootie, the narrator's little sister, unexpectedly sprouts fangs one night. After that, she sinks her teeth into anything (or anyone) that comes within range. When their parents refuse to believe the truth about this vampire baby, Big Brother prepares to give her away. The story is funny, mirroring life perfectly, and the acrylic, watercolor, collage, pencil, ink, and pastel illustrations are visually appealing as well. This title is perfect for reading aloud and sharing with others.
Maryann
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Vampire Baby! I have a grand-daughter that cut her 2 eyeteeth first. She is now enjoying a little biting. Perfect book for her. This book is a fun way to teach kids about loving younger siblings, and "No, Biting". This is one of those books you read over and over to the kids!
Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~
This author recently came to my son's school. She told us a little about how she came about in her writing process and I found it very interesting. Awesome lady!
Tina
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Henry and I read this on October 28th. What a darling book. Well written, beautiful illustrations, and a thoughtful moral to the story. Highly recommend.
Ruth Ann
Could be used in Halloween storytime, especially with props (fake teeth!).

Good new sibling book.
Donna Mork
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baby grows teeth like a vampire. Big brother tries to give her away to a vampire family, but when baby bites the other boy, he yells at her. Big brother comes to the rescue and says you can't talk to my sister like that.
Meg
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
five stars because it is about vampires
Mary Alice
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great lesson in contentment.
Tabitha Scott
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is great for a children to learn that you love your family no matter what and it would be a good read for halloween time in a classroom.
Storywraps
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Big brother is the narrator of this adorable, sweet story and makes quite an accusation concerning his baby sister. Don't get me wrong, he loves his little sister, Tootie, but all that instantly changes. You see Tootie magically, overnight, grows a pair of extended canines that look exactly like Vampire fangs. But are they really?

Big brother tries to convince his family that she really is a vampire, after all she bites her fangs into everything: the furniture, her favourite toys, and especially
Amy Lignor
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Move over Edward Cullen because this book has the cutest vampire around.

This will be a Halloween favorite! This enticing children’s book is beyond sweet and offers a whole different take on everyone’s favorite ‘dark ones’. Yes, this is all about a baby who has just received their first fangs…if you will. Teething is not exactly a happy process - as any Mom who has dealt with the pinches that come from their beloved child will tell you. But this tale is a truly funny look at an exhausting issue.
Diane
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vampire Baby is a cute book for Halloween, but it will probably be even more appealing to parents because it deals with sibling rivalry.

In this story, Big Brother tries to convince mom and dad that little sister, Tootie, is no ordinary baby. Almost overnight she has grown some teeth new teeth that look like FANGS. She also seems quite happy biting what ever crosses her path. Sometimes it is furniture, her brother's baseball mitt, sometimes it is even brother!

Mom does not seem any too concerned a
Laura DeLuca
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Especially with having a new baby in the house this book was wonderful! What a funny and creative twist on a very prominent subject. Big brother didn't seem very fond of baby sister until someone else said something. It's the way it is with almost every family I've come into contact with, "Only I am allowed to be mean and pick on you!" Family ONLY, and this book conveys that with a little love and support, a new baby is a welcome addition, even if she/he is a vampire! While this book is great, i ...more
Marilyn Olson
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: plnnj-reviewed
Tootie grows two new teeth over night. The problem is that they are her canines and her older brother fears she is a vampire baby expecially since he is the victim of Tootie's biting. His parents see not problems, but there is an attempt to give Tootie away on a shopping trip and he brother dresses her like a vampire. A likely family is ready to take her until she goes into her biting act. Tootie's brother goes on the defensince. This is a different approach to a new baby sibling with mixed med ...more
Barbara
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up Vampire Baby thinking it would be a Halloween story. Not even close. Happy to say Tootie is a baby with good taste. She chomps her older brother like crazy as she practices using her two new teeth.

Great story for older sibs experiencing the pains of helping their younger sibs grow up.
Amanda
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Little sister Tootie has some teeth, and her older brother thinks she has turned into a vampire, due to the excessive biting. It isn't until someone else has a problem with Tootie's biting that the older brother decides he can deal with it. Cute story, young school children and toddlers will love this story.
Katie Fitzgerald
Babies who bite are a lot like vampires! This one takes that silly idea a little far near the end of the book in a way that isn't quite believable, but older siblings of biters will appreciate a Halloween twist on their little brother or sister's painful habit.
Sharry
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Another charming picture book by Kelly Bennett. Young children will easily relate to the boy who's adored baby sister sprouts fangs and seems to tun into a vampire over night. Parents will love the gentle humor and rhythm of Bennett's skillfully crafted prose. A winner all around.
Kate
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
It seems like a strange theme for a young child's picture book, but I needed a vampire book for a reading challenge & am glad I found this one. Other's are using children's books for genres they don't care for.
Scottsdale Public Library
A funny, 'fangtastic' fable with feelings.
-Monty K.
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Humorous!
R.L.
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the cutest toddler book ever. My 2 year old granddaughter took this to preschool today because it was "bring your favorite book to school day".
Romelle
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A fun book for children dealing with a biting sibling. Imagining a vampire baby makes light of a situation.
Erin Moulton
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun story that deals with biting behavior! It's a great conversation starter for those siblings who are getting teeth marks, but is also a fun theme read for Halloween.
Samantha Munoz
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
We loved this book! It reminded me so much of the pain many feel as parents going through the "teething" stage.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kelly Bennett is author of books for children, mostly picture books including Character Counts Award winner ONE DAY I WENT RAMBLING, slated to be the "Reading Takes You Everywhere" 2018 Illinois and beyond summer reading program book; VAMPIRE BABY, one of Bank Street College's Best Children's Book of 2014 & NOT NORMAN, A Goldfish Story, Jumpstart's Read for the Record® book for 2015!

In case y