Start by marking “Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  96,439 Ratings  ·  10,870 Reviews
Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut novel about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.
When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfrien
Published June 11th 2013 by Doubleday (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Rich Asians, please sign up.
Kimberly I'm pretty sure Asians feel about this book as Caucasians feel about Gossip Girl. It's outrageous but it happens. It's not like it's indicative of…moreI'm pretty sure Asians feel about this book as Caucasians feel about Gossip Girl. It's outrageous but it happens. It's not like it's indicative of EVERY Asian out there...(less)
Danielle Turchiano I found almost everyone insufferable and stopped reading it twice, not sure if I would continue at all. All I was rooting for was for the one…moreI found almost everyone insufferable and stopped reading it twice, not sure if I would continue at all. All I was rooting for was for the one character who was not related to the family to run far, far from them.(less)

Emily May
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, chick-lit
"Imagine wanting to marry a girl from such a family! So disgraceful! Really, Nicky, what would Gong Gong say if he was alive? Madri, this tea needs a little more sugar."

This is some seriously trashy crack-lit. And no that's not a typo-- this book is as addictive and dramatic and ridiculous as you surely imagine it to be. I should probably hate it, but, well... oops.

You've definitely got to be in the mood for it or you'll wonder why you're actively murdering your brain cells. And I guess I was
Christine
I am Asian, I lived in Singapore, and I am not crazy rich - but I certainly heard of enough people on that tiny island who are. Ten years ago, I remember being addicted to a blog (now defunct) called "pinkshoefetish" where one Daphne Teo of Singapore documented every single materialistic extravaganza in her life - endless Tod's bags, Chanel, the luxurious apartment she (or her parents) rented when she was at Purdue (no stinky student dorms for her), her endless jet-setting to the most expensive ...more
Lauren
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I have no closure.

I’m not quite sure what that ending was, but it’s really only an ending by dint of the fact there are no more pages.

I was enjoying this book. I could overlook the dull main characters, the hints of family drama and maneuvering that never went anywhere, the randomly dropped storylines … all of that, I could forgive because, hey, at the end of the day, Crazy Rich Asians is mindless fluff and thinking is contraindicated when reading mindless fluff. This mindless fluff, set among t
Julie
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan is a 2013 publication.

I guess I missed all the hoopla when this book was first released. It wasn’t until the third book started getting a little buzz that I became interested in reading this series.

So, I went in search of this first book- ‘Crazy Rich Asians’, and had no trouble finding a copy at the library- but- there was an abnormally long wait period for a book that is four years old! So, this series must be pretty popular!!

But, I have lots of books I needed
Katie
Aug 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I think another Goodreads reviewer said it best: "Shallow characters don't mean shallowly written characters."

And in the case of this book, the author didn't pick up on that memo. Shallow characters can be delightfully, wickedly compelling when they're written well. I mean, look at Anthony and Gloria in Fitzgerald's "The Beautiful and Damned", or Becky Sharp in "Vanity Fair" or heck, even Blair Waldorf in the "Gossip Girl" series if you're looking at more "chick-lit" examples. But the characters
Carol (Bookaria)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
This book is deliciously entertaining.

Rachel is a professor of economics in NY who has been dating her boyfriend Nick for two years. One day Nick invites her to go with him to Singapore to attend his cousin's wedding and she agrees.

As soon as Rachel and Nick arrive at Singapore and meet his family, she realizes that Nick's family is filthy rich. Not just wealthy but $200,000-a-dress wealthy and this is a fact that he's failed to disclose to her.

Rachel soon finds herself dealing with nosy relati
Christi Cassel
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
From http://iknowwhatyoushouldread.wordpre...

Lest you be confused, this is not a book about crazy [comma] rich Asians. This is a book about crazy rich Asians. As in, stupidly, stupidly wealthy gazillionaire Asians. I had read an excerpt in Vogue, and it seemed like it might be good, fun summer reading, filled with fashion and snobbery and such. I am a lover and regular devourer of US Weekly, who loathes the fact that I do not come from a ton of old money, so this seemed right up my alley.

When I
Liz
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is soap opera light literature. It’s fun and easy, a beach read. However, someone picked this for our book club, and I’m wondering what the hell there is to discuss.

While Nick is an only child, this book encompasses his extended family. Keeping track of all the names and relationships can be a bit of a challenge. I almost wanted a scorecard. Nick works as a history professor in the States. Most of his family either doesn’t work or “works” for the family business and one of the interesting
Crazy Rich Asians is part satire, part romance, part family drama, part Mean Girls, and 100% entertaining. When it comes down to it, the lesson learned is that every parent wants their child to be set up for success in the best possible way, even though the method may seem maddening. It is the first installment in a series by the same name and I am excited to continue. Check it out!!

My favorite quote:
"There is nothing in the world that good food cannot fix."
Madeline
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
After being briefly obsessed with the Gossip Girl book series in high school, and then the show a few years later (and then abandoning it once Georgina reappeared with Dan's baby god that show was trash and I loved it), this seemed like the next logical step. Crazy Rich Asians is Kevin Kwan trying his hand at the ever-popular genre that can best be summed up as "hey look, rich people!" The fact that the rich people featured here are all based in Singapore, rather than America or Europe, gave the ...more
Louise
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
They are crazy and they are rich. That is pretty much all I got out of it. 10% in and I can't stand to read any more of this vapid book. Somehow it was not the guilty pleasure I was looking for. Returning it back to the library.
Roxane
Jun 15, 2013 added it
Fun and dishy. So over the top it becomes nauseating in the way of such books. It's just too much. A parodic parody.
John
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ouch! Moved to Singapore from the USA 30 years ago, met a Singapore Girl and drank the Kool Aid. Singapore is somewhere between Nirvana and Utopia, civil society, great education system and FOOD to die for. Sadly, this roman a clef hits close to home and raises the curtain on the behavior of ultra rich Ferrari driving jet setters. But it's hilariously funny and contains a wealth of Hokkien swear words to enrich your vocabulary. When I asked the tai tai for translations I almost got my face slapp ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Loved this! It definitely got heaps better towards the end, but I hated the slurs that were often used and unchallenged.
Djrmel
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting and fun setting, described by an author who obviously knows his subject. That's the end of my positives. In fact, some of the negatives are in the positives. If I'm using the word "describes" in a review of a novel, the author has done something wrong. I should be a part of the world he's put his story in, I shouldn't be conscious of the fact that he's telling a story. Also, the authors knowledge of his subject is made clear when he starts putting his personal experiences in the chap ...more
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content Warnings:
-Racial slurs toward black people, Indian people, Romani people. (Used casually by the "likeable" main characters as well as the ones we're supposed to hate.)
-Slurs toward gay people.
-One scene depicting a graphic dog fight (chapter 9).
-One instance of a father threatening violence toward a child.
-Cheating is a major theme throughout.
-Classism (that's probably obvious).
-Lots of prejudice from and toward different Asian ethnicities.

I'm not saying any of these things are unrealis
Jaidee
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it

1 star (actually half a star but I gave it a bonus half star for a couple of reasons)

-Writing-just awful-
-Storyline-started off fair and ended up ridiculous
-Dialogue-some of the worst I've ever read
-Characters- these are some of the most boring, empty-headed, vile and entitled people ever written about

Why the extra bonus half-star?

Surprisingly the writer had some talent in writing interesting and lush descriptions of exotic locales, architecture, fashion, cuisine and luxury goods. Believe it or
Ashleigh 🥀
Pure dramatic fun.
Helene Jeppesen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I actually finished this book because this was really bad. Basically, according to this book, all rich people in Singapore are snobbish and bad human beings. They can’t even see beyond their rich way of thinking when a down-to-earth person approaches them and tries to make them see things from a different perspective. Actually, what they do instead (according to this novel) is to turn that down-to-earth person into someone who actually enjoys the crazy life style of jet planes, m ...more
Emily
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks

This is the most fun I've had reading a book in a LOOOOONG time!!

First off, I will protect Rachel Chu (the MC) with my life. She is amazing, and I wish she got more page time. Across the board we get some great character development, and in particular I loved watching Rachel assert herself more and more over the course of this book.

The middle dragged a bit for me, but it was still pretty fun. The final third, however, was a WHIRLWIND and I loved it.

At times the descriptive paragraphs co
Book Riot Community
When Rachel Chu agrees to go on holiday to Singapore with her boyfriend, Nick, she imagines that this will just be a fun summer, a chance to meet his family and see Singapore, before returning to the simple life they live in New York. But Rachel has no idea that Nick is Nick Young (of the Youngs, one of Singapore’s most established and wealthiest families). Rachel is thrown into a storm of gossip, money, interfering relatives, family secrets, and some seriously mean girls. The bonds of their lov ...more
Sara
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Easily.

This was pure escapism at its finest. Charting the lives of the Chinese super rich through the eyes of newcomer Rachel, boyfriend Nick and his various family members, this was a wonderful bit of writing that instantly transported me into another world. With backdrops such as Singapore mansions, private islands, luxury chartered planes and the wedding of the century, everything felt so over the top and luxurious. It’s a world I cannot begin to imagine inhabiting, but I really f
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
4.5 stars!

This was a super fun read.
It was like I was reading a soap opera versus watching one; with a plethora of characters who were just what the book described: crazy! Overbearing, meddling and judgy moms whose circles run the same.

My goodness the things some of these characters do just because of what everyone thinks, not what they want. You kind of feel bad for them, but at the same time lack empathy for them - as they are super rich - and would trade places with them any day (you think).
Kelly
The review below covers the first two books in this series. There's not really any spoilers, its more an overall general impression, so you should be fine. But just FYI.

Review originally appeared on my blog, Shoulda Coulda Woulda Books.

***

I've run into some great writers lately, which means I've been reading fewer of them. No sooner do I discover them than I tear through as much of their catalog as I can, immediately. Maybe it's just that I'm getting pickier and it's harder to find books that f
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

GR Ultimate Summer Reading Challenge: Read the World

Trigger warning: Mention of kidnapping and abuse.

I didn't know much about this book save it becoming a movie. When I saw the trailer I was hooked! I listened to the audiobook sample it sealed the deal! I am happy to say that I enjoyed this!

Rachel and Nick have been dating for two years. Nick asks Rachel to come with him to Singapore for his best friend's wedding. Rachel agrees. Little does she know that Nick is one apart of the one
Poonam
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Buddy Read with Nameeta.

I started this book thinking it is going to be humorous with some moments that may even be laugh out loud but this book has no humor. At least I did not find anything funny in this story.

To start with the plot look interesting (reminded me of the movie Prince and Me) but the book could have been better written. For one this is a huge book and the story dragged a lot. It could have been 50% shorter without changing the storyline or the ending!

The book flows a lot like a K-
Lisa See
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I so loved this. The humor. The insight.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Rachel Chu has NOOOOOO idea what she’s getting into when she agrees to accompany her boyfriend Nick to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore. As professors struggling to make tenure in New York City, Rachel and Nick live a very modest lifestyle. Little does Rachel know that Nick’s upbringing was ANYTHING but simple. After stepping off the plane, Rachel finds herself tossed into a whirlwind of palace-like homes, private jets and haute
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Second read: May 26, 2017
I love it much better.

First read: September 24, 2015

This book speaks for its title. Its about an affluent Singaporean Chinese family. It is the chronicles of their lavish life.

Crazy Rich Asians is outrageously fun and it gives you a close glimpse about their food obsessed culture, keeping the bloodline and legacy pure, old money and new money - classicism. This book also discussed the racial tension between Mainland Chinese and Overseas Chinese. If you’re looking for a
emily
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shockingly, shockingly bad.

It falls immediately into the brand-names-as-character-development pit and never manages to claw its way out. There are jillions of characters about whom I know nothing other than their favorite designers. Maybe that's Mr. Kwan's actual purpose, but while I know this is meant to be a satire of consumption, I have a feeling he thought he was going for discernible characters, at least.

(Also. Did anyone else think that both Nick and Rachel -- as well as their friends -- s
2018 Reading Chal...: Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians #1) 5 174 Jul 14, 2018 04:27AM
Bookworm Bitches : May 2018: Crazy Rich Asians 18 87 Jun 27, 2018 04:38PM
  • Five Star Billionaire
  • The Engagements
  • The Measure of a Man: The Story of a Father, a Son, and a Suit
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • On the Come Up: A Novel, Based on a True Story
  • Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When Mother Knows Best, What's a Daughter To Do? A Memoir (Sort Of)
  • The Knockoff
  • The Hopefuls
  • Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit
  • Christmas on Primrose Hill
  • Ellen in Pieces
  • Eligible (The Austen Project, #4)
Kevin Kwan is the author of "Crazy Rich Asians," the international bestseller now being adapted as a major motion picture. The sequel, "China Rich Girlfriend," will be released on June 16, 2015. Born and raised in Singapore, Kwan has called Manhattan home for the past two decades but still craves pineapple tarts and a decent plate of Hokkien mee.

Please visit Kevin at:

www.kevinkwanbooks.com
https:/
More about Kevin Kwan

Crazy Rich Asians (3 books)
  • China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
  • Rich People Problems (Crazy Rich Asians, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Sideways
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Warleggan: A Novel of Cornwall, 1792-1793 (Poldark)
  • I Capture the Castle
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“Remember, every treasure comes with a price.” 39 likes
“Eleanor had a long-held theory about men. She truly believed that for most men, all that talk of “being in love” or “finding the right one” was absolute nonsense. Marriage was purely a matter of timing, and whenever a man was finally done sowing his wild oats and ready to settle down, whichever girl happened to be there at the time would be the right one.” 36 likes