Start by marking “Day of Tears” as Want to Read:
Day of Tears

Day of Tears

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,993 Ratings  ·  535 Reviews
Day of Tears: A Novel in Dialogue
Published April 13th 2005 by Jump At The Sun (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Day of Tears, please sign up.

Jaclyn If he went to jail, what would happen to the slaves? Would they be auctioned off anyway? And, if they did get sold, would all of them? To answer the…moreIf he went to jail, what would happen to the slaves? Would they be auctioned off anyway? And, if they did get sold, would all of them? To answer the question: I dont know(less)

Hamisoitil
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le 2 et 3 mars 1859 a eu lieu la plus grande vente aux enchères d'esclaves de l'histoire américaine, en Georgie et c'est à travers cette tragédie que l'auteur, Julius Lester vient mélanger histoire et fiction. Ce livre est donc basé sur des faits réels plus ou moins romancé puisque là, Les larmes noires visent un jeune publique.
Quand je commence à lire ce petit roman, je suis assez déstabilisée car l'auteur a un style bien particulier. C'est au fil des pages que je me suis laissée bercer par les
Douglas M
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had 177 pages. The main character is Sarah. She is a sweet little girl that keeps friends as a family. She likes to play with her friends a lot but not to be bored. The realationship between Sarah and I is that she never lets go of anybody and keep them. It reminds me of the time when there was racism.
Ch_beverlyatwood
Publisher: Jump at the Sun, Hyperion Books for Children
Year originally published: 2005
Translator (if applicable): None
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: 9 to 13 years
Format (picture book, audio book, book read online, chapter book/novel, graphic novel): Young Adult Chapter Book
Rating system: 5 Stars - *****
Brief summary: This interesting book written in dialogue tells about the largest slave auction ever held. The points of view are
Jeff Lindsey
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book to read. Not because it was poorly written, because the writing is fantastic. It was difficult to read because of how angry it made me, and how that emotional level was kept at a fever pitch through the entire book. It was exhausting to read with that kind of internal churning. I kept asking myself how it was possible that we, as a species, can do these sort of things to one another. How we can justify the wholesale subjugation of another ace to the point that it seems ...more
Lesley
takes place at a slave auction! So sad part of history!
L11_Ryanne Szydlik
Heartfelt, tragic, eye-opening, and fast paced. Day of Tears, by Julius Lester, is a beautifully written story about an incredibly ugly time in American History. The story is written through the perspective of all the characters, mainly Emma the main link between most of the characters. Lester does this in such an effective way that there is no confusion when switching characters, but instead it builds more interest and understanding for the reader.

Through switching characters, the reader will
CH_Kathleen
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc-literature
I truly enjoyed reading Day of Tears. I could not put the book down. This book is based off true historical happenings of the largest slave auction held in the United States. It is interesting because it is written with each character's perspective. Emma a young slave is sold away from her family into another plantation in Kentucky. This story depicts the feeling's Emma's family and other slaves had at this time and also the feelings and thoughts of slave owners at this time. This book is wonder ...more
Christine Jensen
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Junior High/High School

Format: Audio Book (Recorded Books, Unabridged)

Awards: ALSC Notable Recording (2007), Coretta Scott King Award Winner (2006)

Response: The novel is read by several narrators, both male and female, in dialects that accurately fit the characters of the story. The readers performance is dynamic, conveying the emotions and feelings of the characters in a way that truly brings them to life. The content of the novel itself also evokes a
Faith
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I wasn't particularly a fan of the way the story was formatted. It felt clunky. I really wish there would have been more of a back story for some of the characters. However, I'd still recommend that you pick this one up! It's an interesting book to discuss.
Sarah Parker
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will teach this book in grade 6 next semester so this is why I read it. And my goodness I’m glad I did! It’s a moving portrayal of the lives of slaves, told from their viewpoint and thus the reader can climb inside their minds. Multiple times throughout their story I was moved to tears.
Term 1 review 2 1 1 Oct 24, 2017 07:09PM
  • Dark Sons
  • Becoming Billie Holiday
  • A Wreath for Emmett Till
  • Zane's Trace
  • The Rock and the River (The Rock and the River, #1)
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal
  • January's Sparrow
  • We are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball
  • The Middle Passage: White Ships/ Black Cargo
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • The Legend of Buddy Bush
Julius Lester was an American writer of books for children and adults. He was an academic who taught for 32 years (1971–2003) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He was also a photographer, as well as a musician who recorded two albums of folk music and original songs.
More about Julius Lester...
“It ain't how long you know somebody that means anything. It's what that person mean to you in your heart.” 11 likes