Start by marking “The Last Gift” as Want to Read:
The Last Gift

The Last Gift

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
BASED ON ACTUAL EVENTS.

Maggie Tanner's first recollection of life within the Victorian slums of London is at the age of six years, witnessing the death of her grandmother shortly followed by the tragic birth of her mother's stillborn twins.

Born to an impoverished family who face the daily threat of disease, starvation and the cruel work-houses, she is forced at the age of
Published October 12th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Last Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Gift

Melissa
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Diane Moyle
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in 1866. It details the hardships that the lower class has to face to in order to live. The main character is Maggie Truman. The story follows her through her life as a young child being forced to work to provide money for her parents to a trip she takes as an adult that changes her and her loved ones’ life.

The story shows how society felt about the proper place and behavior of women and the hardships they faced when they didn’t behave as society thought. It also highligh
Christina Andlaw
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. The author takes you right there, into a tragic tale of survival set in the slums of Victorian London. Once there, I was consumed by the strength of the main character, Maggie and her struggle for survival and peace against all odds. The story heated up at such speed half way through that it became completely impossible to put the book down - always the sign of great book! Just as everything spirals into hopelessness, Maggie receives a letter to take her to America and a la ...more
Wendy
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was just one tragedy after another. How many people are given so many chances to start over? It was a bit too melodramatic for my taste.
Alan
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was so pleased to have won this novel in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is one of my favourite books that I have read so far this year! I love stories based around the Victorian era. This was a well written book and it did tend to pull at my heart strings. I shall be looking out for more novels to read by this author. Highly recommended.
Cleo Bannister
Oct 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a wonderful well written historical tale of survival, loss, and love!!

Maggie Tanner faces one hardship after another, and even when her life finally starts to improve she carries a lifetime of guilt and shame, unwilling to share her burden and receive the freedom that comes with that, until one day when everything changes! This novel reminds us of the hardships and the disparity of the class system that is so much a part of history, yet warming our hearts with the tale of strength and c
Beverley
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I enjoyed this story. In my opinion the writing is plain and straightforward, not particularly creative, but the storyline moves along at a swift pace. I only felt that the ending (the final news story) was so far fetched as to be a bit ridiculous, and for me it was a let down, as the rest of the story had been believable. I liked the explanations after the story, however, does the author not realise that the story is set in the 19th century, not the 18th? And that plurals don't need
John Morris
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very well written, and the plot progressed at a pace nicely. This was my first time venturing into 'Victoriana' in a novel sense, please excuse the pun.

What impressed me most, was how the author was within the mind of her characters of that bygone age. She brought new colours into the rich tapestry of life of those times. That of the wealthy, but especially of how the poor survived. That for me was very special. The lead character suffered taboo, a problem in those days,
Ines Norton
Para começar devo dizer que este livro foi o primeiro livro recebido nas ofertas do goodreads (chegou em tempo recorde, menos de 2 semanas), embora tenha, na verdade sido o segundo que afortunadamente ganhei via goodreads, e aproveito a oportunidade de agradecer quer à autora que que disponibilizou a cópia, quer a quem se lembrou desta iniciativa dos "Goodreads Giveaways" e por mim, estou disponível para que se lembrem de mim noutras ofertas LOL.

Então começemos com a Crítica em si, eu creio que
Dalene
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tale of hardship and having strength of character to overcome it. I read this story in two days. The historical background of Victorian England was well researched and although this book is fiction it is based on actual facts that happened during that time. The storyline was very good and keeps you going to find out how things turn out for Maggie. Maggie is a believable character through each period of her life and what happens to her and how she deals with it. I really enjoyed this st ...more
Robert Spake
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was well-written and I breezed through it. The characters were well-drawn and I appreciate the effort the author made to create a fictional tale while including factual elements, some of which were very shocking. The pacing was good and had a satisfying conclusion, although I was somewhat disappointed that a couple of characters didn't make a re-appearance but that's only a minor nitpick.
Yolanda
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished the book :) seriously could not put the book down !!! again beautifully written exciting emotional and it took me through a journey back in time where I tried to anticipate what would happen next and always got it wrong hahahha the way Carla kept me intrigued right up to the end. I would deffo recommend this book if you enjoy historical fiction I cried with Maggie I laughed with Maggie and by the end of the book I admired Maggie.
Mandy Williams
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this in 2 days. It is very well written and I found myself reading whenever I could steal a moment. I've always enjoyed Victorian literature and this author did a fantastic job transporting me to the slums of London. Maggie is heartbreaking, courageous, and fallible...she captures the very essence of a human girl faced with difficult choices and her resolve to bear consequences of her actions. For those who enjoy historical fiction, I would highly recommend this book.
D Bowie
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read some of the author's short stories I was looking forward to a longer read of her wonderful writing. I wasn't disappointed! You'll find yourself transported back to Victorian times with the author's descriptive prose, and captured by the intriguing plot. Once engrossed, a difficult book to put down! I would thoroughly recommend this book and other works by the same author.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I felt the author was trying too hard to cover all of the issues of this period which made it seem too contrived. The writing was decent but the heroine was not to my liking at all. The story also seemed to lag and drag on a bit. Not my favorite....
Chris Bullock
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, memoir
This is an excellent story of the life of one individual based on factual information gained from the sinking of the Titanic. It is well written, engrossing, and covers many aspects of downtrodden people in Victorian London. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Maddy Di
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. It is easy to read and piques curiosity about living in London at this time. I shall be interested to see if this author writes another book and develops her writing style and skills as I think she has so much to offer.
Betsy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

Being overly fond of literature regarding historical London, this book would naturally attract my interest. Decent writing but the heroine was not to my liking. The story also seemed to drag on a bit. The title was also misleading.
Hannah
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This took some turns I was not expecting, but it was so good. I really liked the heroine, Maggie, she had loads of hard decisions to make in life, and I think she made realistic choices considering what was offered to her.
It was sad and you could really feel the hardships she was facing.
leah garvey
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fascinating read.

This starts out slow but gathers steam and becomes a story I couldn't put down. It's a clean read and I appreciate the writer for that.
Bookaholic
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this. I could not put it down. There were a few twists and turns. I know it is fictional but I truly believed in the characters.
Melanie
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book about a Victorian girl who rises from the ashes of poverty kept my interest. It was the time relevant issues such as baby farming, prostitution and phossy that I found informative as well.
Rose Lengui
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stunning writing and very moving Victoria story. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Marielle
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book With different out looks
Jane Grigg
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well researched and historically sound, nicely written storyline which kept me reading to see what happened in the end.

Deb
Apr 23, 2014
shirley clark
Dec 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Editing Trivia Question 6 201 Jul 06, 2014 04:37PM
Q&A with Carla Ac...: Ask a Question? 1 6 Dec 07, 2012 01:30PM
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
  • Moon College
  • Secrets and Lies the Complete Trilogy (Secrets & Lies #1-3)
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • Sex Bucket List
  • What Lies Behind
  • All of Me That You Can't See
  • Dolly Vardon
  • Homecountry (Peter Clancy #1)
  • Block 24
  • Long Legs Boy
  • Richard Revisited
Carla, author from Edinburgh, UK.

More about Carla Acheson
“But just as misery cannot crawl across an endless path, so does the trail of happiness occasionally reach a sharp end." - The Last Gift” 1 likes