Start by marking “Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects” as Want to Read:
Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Software is everywhere today, but countless software products and projects die a slow death without ever making any impact. The result is a tremendous amount of time and money wasted due to wrong assumptions, lack of focus, poor communication of objectives, lack of understanding and misalignment with overall goals. There has to be a better way to deliver!

This handbook is a
Paperback, 1, 93 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Neuri Limited

To ask other readers questions about Impact Mapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impact Mapping

Kevin Albrecht
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simple, straightforward, and indispensable.

After reading this book, I started using this technique for the next milestone of our current project, and in just a short time, it has led us to making better decisions about prioritization. In a time-boxed project, better prioritization decisions are the difference between failure and success.

The book itself is concise and well-written, with clear examples and practical advice for creating and making the most out of impact maps. If I have one criticis
Alex Fürstenau
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
in one word: perfect! it's short, hands-on and providing a lot of value on every single page. It focuses one one topic, not more but also not less and it fulfills that purpose perfectly. The graphics were concise and support the current point pretty good.

Definetly a re-read.
Andy Lowry
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A strange book to read, much of it feels more like a marketing blurb than a technical book. The second half of the book which talks about methods for producing impact maps, is clearly written and would make a good reference guide. It also provides a lot of practical advice on facilitating the workshops to produce an impact map, although most of this is not really specific to this technique.

The technique itself appears a sound and effective approach to communicating between stakeholders and focus
Sergey Shishkin
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with modern product development wisdom. Highly recommended to those who struggle bridging agile with the outside world.
Anablava Ligataj
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
Impact Mapping, the method, gets 4 stars from me.
Impact Mapping is a strategic planning technique that enables the iteration in strategy and the collaboration between business and technology people. In the "trying hard to work agile" organizations, this method can be the answer to many questions. It is vizual, fosters cooperation and has a lean and easy to work with structure.

Impact Mapping, the book, gets 2 stars from me. Half of the book is a description of other concepts or methods that the i
Lee
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of understanding "why" an initiative is being pursued. Without connecting back to a clear goal - how can we determine when we are done? How can we work toward prioritizing between many possible options?

Impact Mapping is a well-written book and relatively quick read. As more and more organizations look to scale agile, support governance and focus on business value - this is a great book to read and a valuable tool to add to your toolkit.
Ben
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Very quick read with some good ideas, so worth reading.

Good reminders of what to focus on, but I personally was hoping for a bit more depth on techniques to ensure you / your team does focus on the right stuff. Overall it felt like 2 pages on what the impact mapping technique is then the rest of the book just listed other product management best practices and pitfalls followed by a pretty cursory, "and that's why impact mapping is great." Lack of additional detail on impact mapping in practice
Alistair
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book presents the concept of 'Impact Mapping' which should provide anyone involved with software projects some useful tools for requirements analysis and product development strategy.

I really like the concept of this book - small, self-contained, and free of filler, it presents its concepts succinctly. I'd love to see a series such as this on software product development/project management topics.
Amanda Varella
Nov 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Despite being a very interesting and useful topic and technique, I think the concept It's not worthy of a book. It can be explained very easily in a presentation or video. The first 40% of the book are basically introductory. The technique only is explained from the 60% (kindle version). So, if you want to understand how it works, you can start from the 60% and on.
Eugene Griaznov
Показана изящная схема управления it-проектами: как использовать опыт айтишников и бизнеса, как выбирать порядок реализации фич, как выявлять истинные потребности заказчика, как измерять и отображать прогресс проекта. Если короче: как делать нужные вещи и не делать ненужные. Кроме прочего, в книге много ссылок (похожих на полезные).
Rolf
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good approach to giving structure to agile processes - but I kept looking for the real meat, the stuff I couldn't just read of the web. Didn't find it in the book. I'll try the approach on my next project and see if a re-read of the book while actually doing it reveals something new.
Dennis
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Went through in one quick session. Will definitely have to re-read it sometime soon. With a large marker pen at hand. Great stuff. Highly recommended!
Erwin Verweij
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Good small book if you want to start with mapping. If you know how mapping can work this one is i think a bit shallow. But there was some good advice in it
Pavel Gatilov
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-focused guide

I think the book is great for fulfilling its promise - give a short guide to the impact mapping technique with further references. It's good that it's short as it keeps focus. At the same time, it covers everything important: the idea, the benefits, the how-to and the pitfalls.

I would recommend it to everyone interested in agile management practices. This should not be restricted to managers. Engineers might find the book useful as well because everyone should make good decis
Mike Hales
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I'm in the early stages of a potentially huge project and had the good fortune to have someone point me towards this book. It has given me both the tools and process to properly plan my project, involve stakeholders and generate a shared vision. How happy am I! Short, practical and extremely valuable. If you're planning a project of any kind, this is worth your time and money as it might just save you a fortune and improve you're standing in your business in one hit as you lead a succes
Javier Castillo
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy it this reading. The format is interesting, is more a booklet format. I liked the illustrations and its easy to read. The autor explain what the technique, their benefits and then walk through how to facilitate the workshop and finally some advices and good practices. As I always are interested on doing things with a driver or goal behind, this is a great technique to map goals to actions gathered created by the intelligence of crowds. It's a simple technique for modern product managemen ...more
Toni SCRUMptious
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: facilitating
Impact map = “Visualisation of scope and underlying assumptions, created collaboratively by senior technical and business people.”
Why? Who? How? What?
“Iterative delivery plans often lack a big picture.”
1. Discover real goals
2. Define good measurements
3. Plan first milestone
4. Draw the map skeleton
5. Find alternatives (diverge)
6. Identify key priorities (converge)
A great partner read to “Lift off” by Diana Larsen
For more info see impactmapping.org
Arturo Hernández
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short book proposes a way of framing company objectives so they can be correctly understood by business and development teams and thus their interaction advances smoothly. Impact mapping aims to reduce friction when things change since its dynamic nature can remind everyone at all times about the real goals.

Overall, it’s a short and informative little book (with lots of noteworthy mentions about other related texts ).
Bart Du Bois
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical, fun to read

Directly applicable, plenty of tips/guidelines.

Light reading with useful and illustrative examples.

Have gained some takeaways and do recommend to skim it.
Koen Wellens
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
This book is extremely useful. It explains the technique of Impact Mapping, as well as the things you need to know when applying it. There’s great graphics that express what the text is trying to say.

Read the full review at my blog.
Klaus
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for project managers, business analysts, product managers, etc.

I really liked the basic idea behind the book. It fits well with "my" benefit approach.

Besides that a quick read, focused, and uses graphics to explain.
Anna Teske
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and practical

I enjoyed the brief and direct content as well as the "what not to do " section. After my second read I think I'm ready to lead my CTO's team through this activity.
Tibor Konig
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rövid, lényegre törő, azonnal használható tudást tartalmazó könyv. Kár, hogy nem fedeztem fel korábban.
Tonći Jajić
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, fun (I really like how book looks and feels) and impactful. Two thumbs up.
Andrii Moscovchuk
Idea is good, but the book is so-so.
Would like to see more examples of impact maps.
Still it's a quick read so probably is worth reading
John Cumming
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good outline of a straightforward technique for hypothesising, testing and validating assumptions of impact and hence value creation. Product Owners should find this useful in developing product strategy and as a tool for assisting story mapping workshops. It should also be useful within a Lean Startup approach.
John Hearn
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
What business analysis would look like if it was done by a software engineer.
Petr Havel
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The basic idea of the book is that a products roadmap should be used as what it is a "map". Instead of creating lists of features that will be linearly implemented, you map out the state space of your products - looking at influencers, actions, objectives and finding features that will enable you to attain them. Then go out and use that map and discuss it and test it with your customer and key stakeholders.

I think that the idea is great in that it leads you, as the product owner, through the ste
Paul Boos
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book provides a great alternative to developing and managing a portfolio of capabilities that can be implemented by an organization (in an Agile manner). It has great references to other ideas that it draws upon. It gives practical advice in the purpose as well as a how-to to developing and using (as well as pitfalls) in using Impact Maps.

I see this as an excellent alternative to the SAFe framework for upper level greenfield needs (even if they are purely infrastructure in nature); SAFe ten
Joe Wright
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short book brings together a collection of ideas about how to plan for achieving an organisational goal.

It proposes a mind mapping based practice for lightweight planning before starting a development iteration. The impact map starts with a central goal, growing branches of actors that are impacted, with potential features/ideas on the leaves.

The book spends a few pages introducing the tool, and how to create metrics for goals, then more justifying it with a large amount of references.

I'm
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Commitment
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Liftoff: Launching Agile Teams & Projects
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • The Nature of Software Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gojko Adzic is a partner at Neuri Consulting LLP, winner of the 2016 European Software Testing Outstanding Achievement Award, and the 2011 Most Influential Agile Testing Professional Award. Gojko's book Specification by Example won the Jolt Award for the best book of 2012, and his blog won the UK Agile Award for the best online publication in 2010.

Gojko is a frequent keynote speaker at leading so
“If a product milestone or project succeeds in delivering the expected business goal, it is a success from a business perspective, even if the delivered scope ends up being different from what was originally envisaged. On the other hand, if it delivers exactly the requested scope but misses the business goal, it is a failure.” 0 likes