Start by marking “Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects” as Want to Read:
Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Software is everywhere today, but countless software products and projects die a slow death without ever making any impact. The result is a tremendous amount of time and money wasted due to wrong assumptions, lack of focus, poor communication of objectives, lack of understanding and misalignment with overall goals. There has to be a better way to deliver!

This handbook is a
Paperback, 1, 93 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Neuri Limited

To ask other readers questions about Impact Mapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impact Mapping

Start your review of Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
Kevin Albrecht
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simple, straightforward, and indispensable.

After reading this book, I started using this technique for the next milestone of our current project, and in just a short time, it has led us to making better decisions about prioritization. In a time-boxed project, better prioritization decisions are the difference between failure and success.

The book itself is concise and well-written, with clear examples and practical advice for creating and making the most out of impact maps. If I have one criticis
Anablava Ligataj
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
Impact Mapping, the method, gets 4 stars from me.
Impact Mapping is a strategic planning technique that enables the iteration in strategy and the collaboration between business and technology people. In the "trying hard to work agile" organizations, this method can be the answer to many questions. It is vizual, fosters cooperation and has a lean and easy to work with structure.

Impact Mapping, the book, gets 2 stars from me. Half of the book is a description of other concepts or methods that the i
Andy Lowry
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A strange book to read, much of it feels more like a marketing blurb than a technical book. The second half of the book which talks about methods for producing impact maps, is clearly written and would make a good reference guide. It also provides a lot of practical advice on facilitating the workshops to produce an impact map, although most of this is not really specific to this technique.

The technique itself appears a sound and effective approach to communicating between stakeholders and focus
Alex Fürstenau
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
in one word: perfect! it's short, hands-on and providing a lot of value on every single page. It focuses one one topic, not more but also not less and it fulfills that purpose perfectly. The graphics were concise and support the current point pretty good.

Definetly a re-read.
Ben
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Very quick read with some good ideas, so worth reading.

Good reminders of what to focus on, but I personally was hoping for a bit more depth on techniques to ensure you / your team does focus on the right stuff. Overall it felt like 2 pages on what the impact mapping technique is then the rest of the book just listed other product management best practices and pitfalls followed by a pretty cursory, "and that's why impact mapping is great." Lack of additional detail on impact mapping in practice
Sergey Shishkin
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with modern product development wisdom. Highly recommended to those who struggle bridging agile with the outside world.
Sicofonia
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It seems that Impact Mapping is very popular these days in Agile circles. This prompted me to buy the book to learn more. However, I was left a bit disappointed because the book was only 70 pages and the content is very superficial. It explains what an impact map is and how to build one, along with some gotchas to be aware of. However, I'm afraid the content falls short from being anything practical.
So now I will have to dig deeper on the web to learn more hands-on stuff about the technique. The
Lee
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of understanding "why" an initiative is being pursued. Without connecting back to a clear goal - how can we determine when we are done? How can we work toward prioritizing between many possible options?

Impact Mapping is a well-written book and relatively quick read. As more and more organizations look to scale agile, support governance and focus on business value - this is a great book to read and a valuable tool to add to your toolkit.
Alistair
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book presents the concept of 'Impact Mapping' which should provide anyone involved with software projects some useful tools for requirements analysis and product development strategy.

I really like the concept of this book - small, self-contained, and free of filler, it presents its concepts succinctly. I'd love to see a series such as this on software product development/project management topics.
Amanda Varella
Nov 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Despite being a very interesting and useful topic and technique, I think the concept It's not worthy of a book. It can be explained very easily in a presentation or video. The first 40% of the book are basically introductory. The technique only is explained from the 60% (kindle version). So, if you want to understand how it works, you can start from the 60% and on.
Rolf
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good approach to giving structure to agile processes - but I kept looking for the real meat, the stuff I couldn't just read of the web. Didn't find it in the book. I'll try the approach on my next project and see if a re-read of the book while actually doing it reveals something new.
Dennis
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Went through in one quick session. Will definitely have to re-read it sometime soon. With a large marker pen at hand. Great stuff. Highly recommended!
Erwin Verweij
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Good small book if you want to start with mapping. If you know how mapping can work this one is i think a bit shallow. But there was some good advice in it
Peter Rybarczyk
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I see that people here are complaining about length and content of this book. It's true some way, as this is a very short book with very compensated content. But its definitely worth of reading & the author gives a lot of references to other places when you can find more information about specific techniques.
What's important, this is no technical book in any aspect, it's a short guide to how to start with impact mapping and what it is all about and in this form a give it 4/5 stars.

About book

Sho
Pavel Gatilov
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-focused guide

I think the book is great for fulfilling its promise - give a short guide to the impact mapping technique with further references. It's good that it's short as it keeps focus. At the same time, it covers everything important: the idea, the benefits, the how-to and the pitfalls.

I would recommend it to everyone interested in agile management practices. This should not be restricted to managers. Engineers might find the book useful as well because everyone should make good decis
Miguel Angel
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reference material

Gojko's book presents a series of elements that are helpful for the alignment of products and projects, facilitating communication with stakeholders and joining the technical and business side to an extremely rich conversation, aligned with a set of topic of agility; concepts such as value delivery, early iterations, collaboration, flow visualization, Upstream in Kanban Method, Outcome over Output, the Impact Mapping can be of great importance in our teams when defining t
Jyri
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a pretty good read. The core idea of starting from a business goal and then drilling down to impacts looks sensible. Practical instructions and examples are provided. Benefits are expressed clearly and even the most typical obstacles are addressed.

Right now I'm launching a new project, for which I need to create a backlog. Impact mapping has given me some new ideas to apply in my planning. The model is loose enough that I can fit it in the existing framework but it has some cle
Mike Hales
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I'm in the early stages of a potentially huge project and had the good fortune to have someone point me towards this book. It has given me both the tools and process to properly plan my project, involve stakeholders and generate a shared vision. How happy am I! Short, practical and extremely valuable. If you're planning a project of any kind, this is worth your time and money as it might just save you a fortune and improve you're standing in your business in one hit as you lead a succes
Javier Castillo
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy it this reading. The format is interesting, is more a booklet format. I liked the illustrations and its easy to read. The autor explain what the technique, their benefits and then walk through how to facilitate the workshop and finally some advices and good practices. As I always are interested on doing things with a driver or goal behind, this is a great technique to map goals to actions gathered created by the intelligence of crowds. It's a simple technique for modern product managemen ...more
Alicia
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first part I found very useful. It was the missing link between what I learned during PSPO training and the bigger picture. It's a useful tool to create an overview of what you want to achieve and look for those solutions that offers the most value. The last bit just didn't teach me anything I need at this particular moment. Considering the situation we're in, I would have liked more information on digital collaboration, seeing as brainstorming in a room and creating a map together on a whit ...more
Toni SCRUMptious
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: facilitating
Impact map = “Visualisation of scope and underlying assumptions, created collaboratively by senior technical and business people.”
Why? Who? How? What?
“Iterative delivery plans often lack a big picture.”
1. Discover real goals
2. Define good measurements
3. Plan first milestone
4. Draw the map skeleton
5. Find alternatives (diverge)
6. Identify key priorities (converge)
A great partner read to “Lift off” by Diana Larsen
For more info see impactmapping.org
Arturo Hernández
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short book proposes a way of framing company objectives so they can be correctly understood by business and development teams and thus their interaction advances smoothly. Impact mapping aims to reduce friction when things change since its dynamic nature can remind everyone at all times about the real goals.

Overall, it’s a short and informative little book (with lots of noteworthy mentions about other related texts ).
Parijat Mishra
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actionable advice for building technology roadmaps

The author examines the problem technology teams have with having a huge task list with no goal posts, and with senior tech leaders not being able to see the impact of all those user stories at a level where they can map it to business outcomes.

Invaluable actionable techniques to get senior business and tech leaders to communicate unspoken assumptions and needs and to communicate effectively across the organisation.
Lisa
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Impact Maps are a good concept, but this seems like it could have been a Medium article instead of a book. Spends way too much time explaining the „why“ and advertising the method than actually explaining the „how“ - even in the middle of the book, many sentences still start with „Impact Mapping is great because...“.
Michael
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read for anyone in a product management position. I found the method described in this book utterly interesting and impactful. The Impact Mapping technique focuses on the "real" business goals, backed by actual data and hypothesis. Although the book is a bit shallow, additional examples and techniques can be found on the official website.
Klaus
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for project managers, business analysts, product managers, etc.

I really liked the basic idea behind the book. It fits well with "my" benefit approach.

Besides that a quick read, focused, and uses graphics to explain.
Bart Du Bois
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical, fun to read

Directly applicable, plenty of tips/guidelines.

Light reading with useful and illustrative examples.

Have gained some takeaways and do recommend to skim it.
Koen Wellens
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
This book is extremely useful. It explains the technique of Impact Mapping, as well as the things you need to know when applying it. There’s great graphics that express what the text is trying to say.

Read the full review at my blog.
Anna Teske
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and practical

I enjoyed the brief and direct content as well as the "what not to do " section. After my second read I think I'm ready to lead my CTO's team through this activity.
Julija
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book shortly describes the technique of impact mapping. In general this is a good read, but I missed more real life examples both for mapping and for facilitation (dialogs, structrure, questions from participants and etc.)
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Art Of Business Value
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Creating Great Teams: How Self-Selection Lets People Excel
  • Clean Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gojko Adzic is a partner at Neuri Consulting LLP, winner of the 2016 European Software Testing Outstanding Achievement Award, and the 2011 Most Influential Agile Testing Professional Award. Gojko's book Specification by Example won the Jolt Award for the best book of 2012, and his blog won the UK Agile Award for the best online publication in 2010.

Gojko is a frequent keynote speaker at leading so

News & Interviews

“If a product milestone or project succeeds in delivering the expected business goal, it is a success from a business perspective, even if the delivered scope ends up being different from what was originally envisaged. On the other hand, if it delivers exactly the requested scope but misses the business goal, it is a failure.” 0 likes