Start by marking “Unraveling (Second Chances, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unraveling (Second Chances, #1)

Unraveling

(Second Chances #1)

Katy Spencer's life fell apart two years ago. Since then, she's closed herself off. She's a shell of the person she used to be. The only person she trusts is her best friend Rollo, but even he can't keep the nightmares away. Then she meets Jared. He's the first man she's been around since the event that she's not afraid of. He makes her heart race, not in fear, but in a fl ...more
Published April 3rd 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Unraveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unraveling

Anna

5 gorgeous your~scars are my scars~ your pain is my pain~ love can heal anything so IN YOUR FACE ❤❤❤❤❤stars !!!!!!!

I firmly attest that on this day .... I'm being punk'ed by the books angels. You just don't know it but they're laughing at me. Right. There. They're behind that second chances cloud that I've been riding for 3 days now! Doing their cute little pudgy naked giggly thing...Being that I'm close to 15 years post-doctorate ~ I'm not ashamed to say. Once again... I've been schooled hard-c
Nicla

Unraveling is such a beautiful story. This is definitely not my typical read. I am normally all about instant love and a bossy alpha hero but this is the complete opposite. It is a slow burn romance that has the sweetest hero ever. He is so patience with the heroine. The only thing I didn't like is some parts dragged a little. It is 446 pages long and there is a few scenes that could have been cut out. Recommend if you are looking for a sweet low angst new adult read.

HEA (view spoiler)
Emily
The first time Jared met Katy he was intrigued by the familiar look he saw in her eyes, they were similar to the haunted look in his own he had seen many times before in the mirror. The second time he saw Katy he thought it must be fate but her skittish behavior told Jared her internal wounds were still raw. The third, fourth, and fifth time he let his patience guide him trying to get Katy to agree to go out with him.

Katy is still drowning in her pain from a brutal attack after two years, althou
Jessica Viteri
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not going to give you a rundown of this book because what would be the point of that? You know how it goes: boy meets girl, things happen, boy and girl fall in love. However, the 'things happen' is what you have to find out on your own. I will say this, you may be surprised on just how much you will love these characters. I know I was. I especially fell in love with Jared (male lead) and how he treated Katy (female lead).

“But honestly, if someone told me they could redo my past, and give m
Andrea Heltsley
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OMG. Seriously... This book was fabulous. I was already a huge Micalea Smeltzer fan girl before this book, but wow. This was a great new adult story.

The characters were all so great, even Piper and Karlie. Katy's character remains consistent throughout the story, yet grows as she transforms into someone new. Then there's Jared. Talk about hot!! Who wouldn't want such a hot guy that is so understanding and caring. Even flawed, he's perfect. Preston. Well there's Preston and that's all I will say
Heather andrews
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED Rollo he is seriously like the bestest friend a girl can have and for Katy that is a good thing, "Damn girl, he was sexy. I sure as hell hope you got his number or else I'm gonna have to beat you over the head with a stick. Or maybe a vibrator." Jared has issues all on his own and that's why I think he and Katy are good for each other, "Exactly, I wasn't hitting that guy because I just felt like it. Don't judge me, or what I do, you don't know me Katy." I can't express how much I loved J ...more
Aimie
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a real enjoyable read, both characters have had bad things happen to them in the past, they try to help each other heal. I couldn't put this book down. I just loved all the characters so much. I'm looking forward to read the next book in the series which is about another couple which I won't name but you could tell something was gonna happen between them throughout this book even though all the other characters seemed oblivious to their chemistry even the couple themselves didn't notice ...more
Sabina H.
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I could not put it down, I was up until 3 in the morning finishing this book. Jared and katy were great characters and I loved how they interacted with each other. I loved how they worked together to deal with there problems, there wasn't any unnecessary drama or confusion because they talked to each other instead of running off and wallowing in grief as is what most authors love doing now a days. Micalea is definitely one of my favorite authors, if you haven’t read her outsid ...more
Alison
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Can I just ask that Jared please be my boyfriend in my next life??? This man has the patience of a saint! Fell in love with him from the minute he stepped into the book!!!
Although there was no big climax or anything earth shattering towards the middle or end, it was a nice read and loved how real the characters were. Nice to see Katy taking her time with getting used to another man. Enjoyed the book thoroughly and look forward to Holden and Karlie's story!
Cindy
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I totally fell in love with this book. I didn't want to put this book down and I didn't want it to end. Katy and Jareds relationship was so amazing, perfect match. I loved every character in this book and I really can't wait to read Karlie and Holdens story.
Kaylaprater
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. She did a wonderful job of creating a very heartfelt story. I couldn't put this book down and I can't wait until the next one in the series comes out. I have been a fan of all her books. This is another book that will be a re-read.
Brooke
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book. The author had you feeling katys emotions about her rape and then had you going thru the motions learning to trust again. Great book. Loved it.
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

So, I liked the book some points were better than others. The highlights are Rollo. He is a gem and the best BF ever even though Katy seems to take advantage of him and their friendship is more one sided. I know she went through a lot but it seems that Rollo is always there for her and not vice versa but through thick and thin Rollo never fails.

"Oh please," Rollo said, leading me out of the room. "You won't go near anyone that has a dick." "I hang out with you," I pointed out. He snort
Bianca
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from Micalea. Thank you so much!
To be honest, I remarked ‘Unraveling’ a few weeks ago and I immediately wanted to read it. First, the cover is stunning. Simple, but so beautiful! Second, the synopsis drew me immediately. I knew I had to read this book because it is different and something was just screaming ‘This book is awesome!’ .
When I received this book, I couldn’t wait to start it. I wanted to read just a few pages, to make an idea, but I couldn’t put it
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-read-own
I started out liking the story but as the story went on I found myself totally irritated by the slow development of the main character. I'm not being insensitive here. Katy went through something no one should have. But the fact her internal monologues were always the same were really infuriated.

The other thing about Katy is that she's so condescending towards everybody. She accepts everything you tell her. If you say she need to jump she will. Fart, she will, and gladly

But let's not forget Jare
TeriLyn
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked Unraveling, especially Jared. His story was was that of triumph. He went through something sick that could have broken him forever but he was strong and saw the light in Katy. He was so kind, patient, and understanding. He saw so much good and life in her.
Katy was pulled into a darkness that she couldn't fathom overcoming. Jared was the comfort and security she needed to come undone. I felt her personal growth through this story and their growth as a couple. It was sweet, innocent, and
Leah Sanchez
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book and the whole series was AMAZING. The cover on all of them is so pretty, and the books are so thoughtful and touching. It is romantic, but realistic at the same time. A story about a girl who believes she is broken, but she finds a guy who is as damaged as she is, and they learn to move forward, together. He sounds like an amazing guy, both their stories are so sad, I was so hooked, I could not put it down! Highly recommend.
Jennifer Thompson
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads. There was 1 copy being given away and out of over 1800 people I was chosen. I never thought that would happen but I am so so glad it did. I absolutely love this book. I just can't get over how this book made me feel. I loved Katy and Jared's story so much and I can't wait for Karlie and Holden's. I definitely have a new favorite author and I am so thankful to have been given this book!!!
Chris-Wait-For-It-Awesome
It was...ok I guess. Which sometimes is worse than a really bad book. Again, Ms Smeltzers' characters lack depth. She deals with a really tragical subject and treats it... lightly. Without any depth. The story was either too slow or too fast. And to be honest there wasn't much of a built up on the sex scenes. No sexual tension.
Still, I liked the pure fluff of it, especially when it comes down to a pure alpha males melting in the face of his love.
I won't be giving up on this author. Yet.
Cayla
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in just one day. Seriously magical.

I was pumped when I saw it on Amazon for only $0.99, what a steal!!

The characters are real, and easy to relate to. The situations are realistic, and raw. The transformation you see the main character make is beautiful. I haven't read a book that's effected me this much in quite a long time.

I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who likes YA books.. Happy to add it to my shelf.
Taylor
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book form the start!! It isn't like any original love story and I love Jared. Every scene just captured my attention and Jared is such a lovable person who is protective of Katy and would never do anything to hurt her. I absolutely love Unraveling and I just can't wait for Holden and Karlie's book. I just might love Holden a bit more than Jared!
Grace
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my fave books I've read this year. It's heartbreaking learning what she went through and Jared is so right for her! Jared and his past, and how he turned out is refreshing, definitely unlike most books I've read.
Shakima Ming-Elliott
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
wow I loved this book. I feel like I went on a journey with Katy and Jared.

oh how I love me some Jared, he was ah-mazing!!!! marry me lol!!!! everytime he said kittycat I damn drooled on my kindle.

everyone should read this book. can't wait for book 2
Say
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: april-2013-reads
This was way too long.....I mean I had a hard time finishing it hoping there would be something monumental happening. But till the end.....all I can say was that's it? But will I read the next book, HELL YES! It's Karlie's and Holden's story. That should be interesting.....I hope.
Lisa N
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great story.. Not at all realistic at least i have never met a guy like that... but who cares its fiction right.. I really did enjoy watching Katy grow. Im glad she didnt just flip a switch like some books. It took time and work on her part to heal. I loved it!
Ruthie
May 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I NEVER NEVER ever give up on a book.........until now.
I gave it 3 strikes.

1) If I had to read Rollo saying "baby cakes" again I was going to scream.

2) "the event" really?

3) Chocolate orbs......to describe eyes....

Im done!!!!!

Emily
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I need more Jared! NOW
Christina Huffstutler
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome awesome awesome!! Such a great story!!
Savannah Stewart
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Sigh* This book touches home soooooo much. I love it!!! It shows that no matter the darkness you have been through someone will help you through it. I wish I could give it more than 5 stars!!!
Megan Shultz
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
its one of those books that are just so perfect, you cant even write a good enough review of it. seriously, I loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Summer to Remember (Seasons, #1)
  • Put Me Back Together
  • Unclaimed (Kole Family, #1)
  • The Apple Tree
  • Safe (Conquering, #1)
  • Flawed Beauty
  • Waiting on Forever (Forever #2)
  • Painted Lines
  • Phoenix
  • Here Comes The Light
  • So Many Reasons Why (So Many Reasons, #1)
  • Heartless
  • Remake (Documentary, #2)
  • Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)
  • A Need So Insatiable (Hearts #1)
  • Hell Without You
  • Entwine
  • Everything Changes
Micalea Smeltzer is a twenty-something author from Northern Virginia. She has four dogs, which is as crazy as it sounds. As a recent kidney transplant recipient she's dedicated to raising awareness around the effects of kidney disease, dialysis, and transplant as well as educating people on living donation. She enjoys writing about fantastical paranormal creatures and sexy rock stars. When she's n ...more

Second Chances (2 books)
  • Undeniable (Second Chances, #2)
“Laughter can cure anything, when you laugh, it pushes the darkness out of your soul.” 16 likes
“Everything in life, the good and the bad, happens for a reason. You shouldn’t question it, you should accept it, and take it as a life lesson, because maybe, just maybe, that bad experience is leading you down the road to the greatest adventure of your life.” 1 likes