Jump to ratings and reviews

Praefatio #1

Praefatio

Seventeen-year-old Grace Ann Miller is no ordinary runaway...

After having been missing for weeks, Grace is found on the estate of international rock star Gavin Vault, half-dressed and yelling for help. Over the course of twenty-four hours Grace holds an entire police force captive with incredulous tales of angels, demons, and war; intent on saving Gavin from lockup and her family from worry over her safety.

Authorities believe that Grace is ill, suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, the victim of assault and a severely fractured mind. Undeterred, Grace reveals the secret existence of dark angels on earth, an ancient prophecy and a wretched curse steeped in Biblical myth. Grace’s claims set into motion an ages-old war, resulting in blood, death and the loss of everything that matters. But are these the delusions of an immensely sick girl, or could Grace’s story actually be true?

Praefatio is Grace’s account of weeks on the run, falling in love and losing everything but her faith. When it’s sister against brother, light versus darkness, corrupt police officers, eager doctors and accusing journalists, against one girl with nothing but her word as proof: who do you believe?

“With Praefatio, Georgia McBride proves that you can take any genre to a higher level. This is teen fantasy at its most entertaining, most heartbreaking, most compelling. Highly recommended.” –Jonathan Maberry, New York Times bestselling author.

342 pages, Paperback

First published May 21, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Georgia McBride

5 books56 followers
Georgia loves a good story. Whether it’s writing her own, or publishing someone else’s, story is at the heart of everything Georgia does. Founder of Month9Books, YALITCHAT.ORG and the weekly #yalitchat on Twitter, Georgia spends most of her days writing, editing, or talking about books. That is, of course, when she is not blasting really loud music or reading. She lives in North Carolina with four dogs, a frog, a parrot, 2 kids, parents and a husband.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews
Profile Image for Mandy.
979 reviews126 followers
August 28, 2015
Grace’s mom isn’t around, her father died in a tragic car accident and she’s being raised by her parent’s friends with her brother and their daughter. Grace has been hearing voices and learning to levitate but no one knows what she can do except her younger brother who may just know more than he’s letting on. When the time comes Remi has to save Grace from those hunting her taking her to the angel’s where she finds that her father isn’t dead, that she’s not human and she’s betrothed to a fallen named Gavin who just happens to be the handsome rock star.

Grace’s whole world has changed she’s destined to change the world her future is written in the Praefatio a book that tells the past as well as the future. However Grace isn’t the only one who wants her future she has a twin sister who was cast aside and wants to be the one to win Gavin’s heart. Grace isn’t the only one who has a sibling who wants more than they are destined for Gavin also has a brother Tyler who thinks he can have Grace. As if finding her place in her new world isn’t enough, her brother has broken a rule and cause everything to spin out of control. Can Grace save her brother as well as the rest of the angels and not lose Gavin?

I liked Grace she’s found out that she’s not just human anymore, that her dad isn’t dead and her brother isn’t really her brother and she is turning into a winged angel that has a prophecy. I wasn’t sure which guy to trust because there are so many potential love interests but she’s already been dreaming of Gavin and he is also her betrothed. The chemistry between the two while they may have just met they are both super attached right from the start. Doesn’t hurt that he’s a fallen rock star who she’s had a thing for before she knew what was really going on. I wasn’t sure how I feel about everything that happened to Remi my heart went out to him hopefully things will work out for him in the future.

I picked up Praefatio a while back based on the cover it was calling my name even though I typically don’t read a lot of angel books. It seems to be a concept that I struggle so I wasn’t sure what to except when I started it, and found it pleasantly surprising. Basically it’s a Romeo and Juliet story of two different angels who are destined to change the future but others are out to get them. I found the story interesting a very unique take on the angel concept it’s a captivating story I had a hard time putting it down and I had to know how it would play out with Gavin and Grace. The story starts out in a police station and Grace is telling a story of what happened when she was missing. It can be a little confusing I know at first I was a little lost but it works its way out. The author does a great job creating a unique story that captured my heart as well as my imagination. I really like Grace she just accepts her future and just goes with the fact that she’s a half angel and her relationship with Gavin. I enjoyed the story it was really interesting, and I’m curious to see how’s it going to play out in the next book. While I am not a huge fan of angel books this one had enough other paranormal’s it just works.
Profile Image for Bree.
88 reviews10 followers
Shelved as 'on-pause'
February 6, 2014
I won this book in the GoodReads giveaway some time ago.... never received it... they have a button to press that says 'I have not received my copy'.... I pressed it... still haven't received anything.... not even an email or message if I'll ever get it... so... yeah... guess I will be getting a copy at the library or something
Profile Image for Grace Fonseca.
240 reviews21 followers
June 9, 2013
Book Review:

An intense, but powerful young adult fantasy that you utterly become immersed in from the moment you start reading it. I found that Grace’s story was intense, but you couldn’t help but feel like this was a battle and the way the story unfolds, it seems very realistic.

I like that we get a real sense of who Grace is as we get told her background. I enjoyed that she told a story that had elements of things that could be true. We all have lives and families. Yet she has always found herself and her brother Remy to be different from other children and doesn’t know why until much later. Their parents both love them. What I like is that there is a real sense of a normal life almost yet there is some secret that their parents don’t want them knowing.

What happens is one of the most intense stories you will hear. They lose both their parents in a strange way. Yet nothing is what it ever seems. The secrets get revealed in a way that takes us on a rollercoaster of emotions and action. So many great twists and turns. Remy or Remiel was a really interesting character in a lot of interesting ways. I like that the author establishes a great mythology.

This Praefatio book changes on it’s owner. The history stays the same but changes based on who the individual is and the owner. I also like the fact that there’s a real sense of inner turmoil and choices that Grace is going to have to make and does. Some of them are hard and necessary choices in a lot of ways. She does what she thinks is right.

Gavin and Grace have a very interesting relationship. At first it seems weird that Gavin is communicating with Grace telepathically, but it adds a lot to the way that they talk and start to have things in common, but neither of them know that they are both unique and special. Yet what both of them go through is just incredible and how they come to rely on each other is one of the things I like to see in a couple. You feel that Gavin and Grace really start to bond and come to really love each other.

Also the complications and twists are so stunning in this novel, it’s like a never ending series of surprises. I really love all the stunning imagery and love the quest or journey that these characters go through. Then it got kind of weird in the end. Lots of betrayals, someone that you thought you wouldn’t see shows up. I think this was one of the most interesting endings I’ve seen. Yet it kind of took away from the journey/quest making me question is what Grace telling us real. Then there’s another thing that happened that made me think maybe Grace’s journey has indeed been real.

I enjoyed it, but the ending was certainly a little bit choppy. Yet I want to visit this series again.

Rating: 4.5 Hearts
Profile Image for S.A. Larsen.
Author 8 books139 followers
May 29, 2013
Intriguing view of angels, their purpose and interaction with the human race, twisted around a young girl, her brother, and an ancient text older than the Bible.

Clever yet subtle details slowly weave this tale into an inevitable and delectable whirlwind. From the interesting relationship Grace appears to have with her mother to the closeness she shares with her brother, Praefatio lays a strong foundation for the story yet to come. McBride uses poetic prose to tease the reader, as well as creating a unique teen voice to communicate it. Granted, there was plenty of snark in that young adult voice, but it was genuine and heartfelt.

Fast action, both physically and mentally, keep this story moving ahead, engaging the reader to form desirable questions of what could happen next. There was almost an adventurous feel to the dangers Grace faced, all of which were creative and plausible. I found the Biblical references accurate and the use of creative license was effective to create wonder and awe. The creation of different celestial beings were integrated into the story well, with each having his/her own purpose.

Grace must undergo many changes in a short period of time, much like the young adult life. So there was lots of humanity and realism throughout the paranormal elements of this book. She had ample opportunities to ponder the danger of who and what she really was, as well as the harm that could come to those closest to her, depending on her actions and reactions. I'm a huge fan of incorporating life lessons into teen literature, and this book definitely fits that bill.

But soon, Grace's perception of her world (both tangible and intangible) changes, and when a serious complication arises for her brother, Remi, Grace must yet again find more answers in who and what she really is, and the probability of what that could mean. Intense battling in her new Heavenly existence complicates an already volital scene, and Grace must decide what is real and trustworthy.

A surprise awaits the reader at novel's end, as McBride tied the conclusion to the opening of the story, revealing just enough to feed the reader a hunger for more.
Profile Image for John.
134 reviews22 followers
April 17, 2015
***Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

I'm still not sure what to make of this book. It's very disjointed and hard to follow in places, and I'm a little confused about the ending. It's kinda hard to keep track of what's going on when the author both won’t reveal information and keeps switching perspectives- and the timeline of events- to effect an air of mystery and suspense.

What’s Good: with UF/PNR rapidly reaching critical mass, angels are the new hot property in the mix. Grace and her brother Remi are archangels- the blood of the angels flows in their veins- destined to have a role in the greater scheme of things... ok, got it. The Praefatio is a curious plot device- a primal celestial text that’s altered by whoever possesses it at the time. Grace is an interesting character- a teenage girl who’s suddenly thrust into the midst of things. Like any teenager, she’s a whirlwind of emotions and I could mostly understand where she’s coming from.

What's Bad: the typical lame plot device of those who know withholding information from the ones who really need it. Once again the Chosen Ones are here to save humanity- except no one bothers to tell them who/what they are, what they can do and why, let alone how they're supposed to achieve anything. It's one of those stories where everything's on the line and 10x harder than it has to be- for no reason whatsoever. The story unfolds over a 24 hour period, like the show things happen simultaneously and overlap but unlike my favorite program there’s no linear flow to maintain the urgency. Even as things come full circle by the end of the book, the scenes are all over the place; I had to keep going back and re-reading things just to try and keep it all straight. Not a good look.

What's Left: an interesting premise that needs tightening up and a more linear flow plus not relying on cheap plot devices to try building tension and drama. But it’s a quick read, with several short chapters to tease you into keep turning the pages; always a nice touch.

Praefatio is one of those books that’s not bad, but you’ll definitely notice where it could be better.
Profile Image for Jillyn.
732 reviews
April 11, 2015
I don't read a lot of books about angels, namely because honestly they don't come up on my radar too much. But when I read the synopsis and saw the pretty cover of Praefatio, I had to read it. Overall, it is a solid book that blends together fantasy and reality.

The whole book has this "what on earth is happening" vibe, but I mean that in a good way. You never quite know who is telling the truth, or who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. It leads for a lot of twists and turns that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. You can't help but to get emotionally invested in all of the characters' happenings.

Grace is one of the more interesting characters that I've come across for exactly that reason. The book starts with her upset in a police station, trying to defend someone that the police have pegged as her kidnapper, more or less. From then on, it's unclear and left to the reader to piece together if Grace's story of angels is a true one, or if the police are right and she has something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

This book is a fairly quick one to get to, and worth it to get lost in this world of young adult, paranormal romance. I think fans of angels and paranormal romance will really enjoy this, because I think each person will take this book differently and get different things from it. (Which is pretty cool in my opinion). This is the author's first novel, and I think that it's a great first piece.

I received a copy in exchange for my honest review. This review can also be found on my blog, Bitches n Prose.
Profile Image for Jessie Harrell.
Author 5 books258 followers
July 24, 2013
Grace Ann Miller is an interesting character. She's a teen girl who reacts rather realistically to some surprising news that's been kept from her her entire life - she's an Archangel. At first she hides from it, refusing to read the book that would give her more clues, and latches on to others. But as she comes into her powers, Grace becomes a first rate, kick butt heroine.

I love the premise of how the story is told. You start off in a police station with the cops doing an interview and wanting to know why she was found half-naked in the cold screaming on a rock star Gavin DeVault's property after everyone thought she'd run away or been kidnapped. Well, Grace insists on telling her whole story to exculpate Gavin. I liked the reverse-ness of this format.

Georgia's writing is really strong. The details are vivid. But because we are seeing things through Grace's eyes, and she doesn't understand what's going on a lot, I felt like I didn't understand it either quite a bit. I'm just not in to being confused even if I'm sharing that experience with the MC. Personal preference on my part.

And without giving away any part of the ending, let's just say I was expecting something bigger. There was so much tension and build up, and now it appears that true climax won't be happening until Book 2. (I assume there will be a Book 2. It sure feels like there needs to be!)

Overall, this was a solid (but long) read. I congratulate my friend, Georgia, on a great debut and wish her nothing but success. (And no, I didn't get a free copy from Georgia in exchange for my review.)
Profile Image for Melissa (thereaderandthechef).
529 reviews169 followers
May 30, 2013
Praefatio turned out to be a very interesting read. It yearns for your complete attention with so many twists throughout the story that if you miss a single detail you might struggle to understand what is going on as it does get confusing going back and forth from Grace’s memories to her present situation in the interrogation room.

What really stood out to me in this book were the characters. Our wonderful heroine was so fierce and courageous that it was hard not to like her. She’s someone who trusts her instincts and fights for what she thinks is right regardless of what everybody expects her to do. My only problem was how she was crazy in love with Gavin Vault. It’s not that I didn’t like him, it’s just that I had a hard time trusting him with his constant mood swings. At one point he was so gentle and sweet, but at the next second he would be harsh, malicious and demanding, not what I’d have in mind for my one true love. As for the other characters, they stood true to their nature and constantly gave me the creeps. Fancy meeting the devil anyone?

Overall, I liked how this book kept raising the stakes with not giving me the answers straightaway. The ominous and dark atmosphere was priceless, including the one of a kind setting this author created. I can’t wait to know what happens next!

*This review first appeared at Cuzinlogic*
Profile Image for Caroline Patti.
Author 9 books49 followers
May 29, 2013
Ok. Here's the deal. One, Georgia is my mentor, friend and boss and so, you know, no pressure at all. :-) Two, I don't really like angel stories. I don't know why. They're just not my thing.

Three. I have always wanted to write a story that starts with someone in an interrogation room and not only did Georgia beat me to it, but she crafted the story so well that I am in awe. It's no wonder why I've learned so much from her.

Four. This story kicks ass. No joke, all nepotism aside, I'm an angel convert after having read Praefatio. This proves my theory, by the way, that if a story is written well it can reach across the aisle and grab even the most cynical or perhaps reluctant reader.

Five. Writers, pay attention to the story craft. Praefatio has much to teach all of us about how to weave a tale, how to have a beginning, middle and end and how to be a stand alone within a series. If you're like me, and angels maybe aren't your thing, there's still plenty for you to get out of this novel.

Six. Congrats to you, Georgia, for Preafatio, for being the portal through which we've come to know Grace, Remi and Gavin and for all that you do for the writing community Your patience and perseverance are inspiring. Much love to you, always.
Profile Image for Lauren.
171 reviews1 follower
May 22, 2013
This book started out a little slow for me. I couldn't get the characters straight and I wasn't sure what was going on. Then everything fell into place and I couldn't stop reading! I was so glad to see the main character, Grace, not some wimpy, "oh woe is me" heroine. This girl is kicking ass and taking names! I couldn't stand Gavin but I warmed up to him eventually. Grace's "brother", Remi, made me fall in love with him. My heart broke for him a couple of times. As you can see, I loved everything about this book! The world building was incredible and I could totally see these places in my mind. That was good because this was the first book I've read with angels in it and it was very descriptive. I liked the biblical terms and it was helpful to understand. The book and characters didn't leave me once the book was finished. They stayed with me and made me want the sequel that much more! At least I heard about a sequel. I hope it's true!
Profile Image for Fiona Reed.
30 reviews1 follower
September 8, 2013
I had high expectations for this very disappointingly confusing book. It jumps around constantly, can't get its mythology straight, and doesn't spend enough time on what's really happening and important to the plot, while spending six whole pages (I seriously counted) on how much the main character adores the arrogant fallen angel who is HOLDING HER CAPTIVE. It made no sense and wasn't even very interesting.
Profile Image for A. Rolland.
Author 3 books114 followers
July 3, 2013
Angels, demons, war, and myths- The premise is so intriguing. I can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Profile Image for Carole.
823 reviews
October 17, 2014
I really hate to say this but the best thing about this book was the cover.
I found it hard to follow and at times really silly.
Such a shame as the book had real potential.
Profile Image for Jennifer Jones.
60 reviews
November 23, 2017
Not on my list of favorites for the year. Typically I can handle teen angst but there was too much in this and the pining over the bad boy and goo goo eyes. Just not for me.
Profile Image for Alis.
243 reviews20 followers
April 10, 2015
What I liked: This book starts off in an interesting place, and though at first it is a little confusing on trying to determine what is going on (what's taking place in present time, what's a flashback, etc.) after a bit I was able to figure out what was what. This thing about this story was that it wasn't completely predictable and a few parts managed to not be what I expected. Some parts were predictable, but that was more on the fact I didn't think they could have gone a different way (especially the parts talked about in the summary). While the story did manage to keep my attention and make me wonder what was going on, there were times I had to stop to try and make sense of everything that was going on. I think my favorite character was Remiel, Grace's brother. I liked Remiel a lot, but I did like Grace a lot as well because of her personality.

What I didn't like: The cliches. Good girl who can do no wrong falls for the bad boy who looks they can't do anything wrong, and even if he doesn't treat her all that great she thinks deep down he's a good person. That, and the whole "chosen one" aspect. I just don't get how the fate of everything (sometimes literally the entire planet) can rest on the shoulders of a single person. It just seems too....unrealistic, for that much to be relied upon one person. Also, it seemed like Remiel had a huge shift in character because it seemed like he went from ordinary to the side of the enemies of Grace very quickly. An act? Truth? I don't know if he really did.

Overall Review: While I did have a few problems with the story myself, I like how the title of the story works into the book. It's a preface to the story that is to come with the later books, showing what has happened to set everything up for future books. For the most part I stayed interested though had to take some breaks to understand and figure out parts. Grace was a good main character and had a personality that I enjoyed for the most part.

Recommend?: If you think you'll like the book I suggest you try it out. It was good, for the most part!
Profile Image for Elaine.
179 reviews38 followers
April 12, 2015
I received a digital copy of this book via Chapter by Chapter in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. Thanks for the copy! All are my own opinion and is not compensated by any individual, organization, or company. This might contain minor spoilers.

What I really liked about this book is the cover. The cover is really pretty and makes anyone who’d see it, want to read it. I mean, the cover is what captivated me first before I gone to read the synopsis.

The book started in what seems to me like an interrogation room, wherein Grace is contained. Grace appeared to be out of her mind, like her memories were playing tricks on her. Then, she began to narrate everything that had happened.

The idea of it is very promising. I fancy the concept of the angels having the Praefatio, like it is their book of life. How apart from Archangels and Fallen Angels, there are also vampires, eyeball demons and cute cherubims.

What bothers me in reading though, is the patchy grow up of twists and events. They are ‘meh’ and messy and it makes the story confusing. I hated it when I do not understand the story. I have to go back and read again the previous paragraphs or chapters to follow the story. While the premise and the setting are splendid and clever, I do not see any developments from the characters. The more I read them, the more I feel I do not know them and the more I feel completely off from the story.

The last parts of the book though is really good; despite all the confusing experiences I had while reading it, I could not say that I was not looking forward to read the next book. That last scene? That’s not enough ending for me.

I must say I will not be stopping anyone who wants to grab and read it. Go on, read it!
Profile Image for Heather.
573 reviews137 followers
April 8, 2015
Okay this is a quick review as this is good read and you are gonna enjoy this for yourself because this is thrilling!

Grace was missing, had she runaway or had she been abducted? Nobody knew, not until she turned up on Gavin Vault's estate, Gavin Vault the rock star!

The police question her, she tells them the truth, the truth is unbelievable as she talks of angels, they fear that something bad has happened to her whilst she was missing, something that has addled her mind but she is insistent, they are all in danger.

Throughout the book you get a look at Grace's life prior to her having gone missing, how she and her brother have been different to other kids especially as they grow up and discover what they are capable of but most of all the book gives you an idea of Grace and the turmoil she suffers from as she struggles to be taken seriously.

How does it end? Is Gavin hot? Is he the love interest? Someone mentioned angels? What happened to Grace when she was missing? Tell me more!

No!, be patient and read this for yourself!

My only complaint was it was a tiny bit difficult to follow to begin with I soon got too grips with it.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review
192 reviews13 followers
April 22, 2015
Not many stories do I come across that I found so uniquely written that I can't immediately compare to other's that I have read. Praefatio definitely fits into the unique story category!

I love that this one is young adult and it reads well for that age group as well as anyone that enjoys a well written paranormal story!

The story seems to have two unique sides to it, what is really happening from Graces point of view and what the authorites want to believe. Grace after having been missing turns up on the lawn of a famous Rock Star. But not any rock star, no this one has been speaking to her in her head for years before she ever met him.He in turn gets accused of kidnapping and brutally beating her. Grace is determined to get the true story out, but seems struggle with anyone truly believing her.

The story is wrapped around so many secrets and lies that the reader along with Grace spends much of the story mucking it out for the true story.

The beginning of the book was slightly confusing, but once I continued on through the story, everything made so much more sense to me and I was able to truly understand what a brilliant story I was given to read.
Profile Image for Tracy.
4 reviews
September 21, 2013
Loved the idea and the story but the writing was confusing and jumped around a lot. It got better towards the end but about halfway through I almost gave up. I'm interested in the sequel and hope the writing style improves.
Profile Image for Lisa Dess.
590 reviews18 followers
February 1, 2014
This is an awesome, unique, story about angels. There were many twists throughout the book that I had to make sure I didn't allow my attention to sway while reading. The main characters were cool but I really love many of the secondary characters. I can't wait to read book 2.
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.