Start by marking “All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World” as Want to Read:

All marketers tell stories. And if they do it right, we believe them. A good story is where genuine customer satisfaction comes from. It's the source of profit and it's the future of your organisation. This book shows how to discover and tell authentic stories that set you and your products or service apart from the competition.
Published June 1st 2005 by Portfolio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about All Marketers Are Liars, please sign up.

Start your review of All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
Yana Kiselyova
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Favorites:

Instead of being scientists, the best marketers are artists.

If people could skip the ads, they would.

She buys … because she wants it, not because she needs it.

We don’t need what you sell, friend.

We buy what we want.

Step 1: their worldview and frames got there before you did.

Every consumers has a worldview that affects the product you want to sell.

That worldview alters the way they interpret everything you say and do. Frame your story in terms of that worldview, and it will be heard.

Ste
Gabriela
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In 'All Marketers Are Liars', Seth Godin proposes that marketers take a different approach to storytelling. He makes the assertion that marketers should be more focused on telling authentic stories as they are on creating quality products. However, people will buy a story first before they can buy the product itself. Using numerous anecdotes, Godin shows what makes some marketing campaigns successful and what makes others fail.

One of the points that really came across for me was the idea that co
Tanya Tosheva
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Can you write a 200 page book without any content whatsoever? Apparently, you can. The author has followed his friend Lisa's example - a best seller that doesn't offer anything new and just caters to already existing worldviews. The same statement was repeated over and over again, without being proven even once.
Anton
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must confess that I find Godin's rah-rah manifesto-style delivery very endearing. But I also can clearly see why some may feel underwhelmed by this book. There is no 'on this side ... but on the other side' business. Just a raw, emotive but yet perceptive and inspiring speil.

Punchline: customers don't buy products anymore - the buy a story behind them. Therefore successful business/marketing of the future will become better storytellers (or cease to succeed). Could this be delivered in a blog
Nicholas
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nataliya Stelmakh
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genius read for all entrepreneurs & start upers. "Sushi tastes better if the chef is Japanese". Don't satisfy customer's needs, create wants. Puma is not selling you product quality/functionality, rather how they make you feel in Pumas. Great product story makes a promise of a safety, feeling beautiful/fit/more popular/loved/smart. It takes a group of people to fall in love with the story of your brand & for them to start spreading the word. Not the brand is doing the marketing, your customers s ...more
Asma Afreen
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing, favorites
This was my first Seth Godin.

I've seen his TED talks, his interviews and read his blog at regular intervals. And he was awesome! I knew what he was going to say even before I started reading and agreed wholeheartedly. I was just curious to read how he puts it.

What I didn't expect this book to do, though, was change the way I think. Godin's theory is pretty simple: Tell an authentic story about your brand. Consistently, across all fronts. How he went about telling this story is what the book is
Lucas
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
How Marketing Works (When it Works)

Step 1: Their worldview and frames got there before you did. A consumer's worldview affects the way he notices things and understands them. If a story is framed in terms of that worldview, he's more likely to believe it.

Step 2: People only notice the new and then make a guess. Consumers notice something only when it changes.

Step 3: First impressions start the story. A first impression causes the consumer to make a very quick, permanent judgment about what he wa
psychonout
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Are you a marketer?
I think you are.
I think you have an idea you'd like to see spread.
I think you'd like people to join your church, vote for your candidate, ask you out on a date or even offer you a job.
If you've got employees - I bet you'd like them to do more of what you're hoping they'll do.
If you're applying for a loan, I bet you're hoping you'll get it.
Everyday all of us market.
Some of us are really lousy at it and worse - believe the reason for our failure is some sort of intrinsic inadeq
Ostap Andrusiv
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1) We buy stories, not features.
2) Word of mouth marketing is still the best marketing possible.
3) "Reframe it, till you make it :D"

While listening to the book I definitely started listening to radio/online ads more carefully trying to understand, why did the person say the phrase in that way. My friends and I organize a conference as a hobby and I started thinking about our conference in terms of the story people experience, rather than just a conference with speakers they attend. I spotted, ho
Ahmad Badghaish
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and short one.
Saurabh
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gem of a book. It discusses marketing concepts that are extremely relevant in today's world.It is a must read for marketers, product managers and entrepreneurs. It gives an in depth understanding of what the consumer thinks and how one can sell him anything if he knows the worldview the consumer represents.
Chad Warner
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: markers, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Nick Defoe
Godin shows how to use storytelling as marketing. He says that the successful marketers are those who honestly tell a story people want to believe and share. He describes principles and plenty of specific examples. There’s no filler.

Despite the title, Godin isn’t advocating lying. He calls the stories that consumers believes “lies,” because they often aren’t completely factually accurate. Stories are the lies consumers tell themselves based on the emotional need they want to fill by acquiring a
Philip
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seth Godin’s typical overstated and shocking title made me think twice before digging in, but as I started plowing through the work I realized that his approach actually makes a lot of sense. There were a couple points that I disagreed with along the way, but overall I get where he is going. Godin says that everyone wants to hear a story, a narrative, that fits with how they view life (worldview). If we frame the story that we tell in relation to this specific worldview, we will end up telling t ...more
Aaron Wolfson
This book builds on Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by showing that every remarkable product needs a story worth talking about. In many cases, we don't even buy the products themselves -- we buy them because of how they make us feel, because of the story it lets us tell ourselves.

Every story needs to be framed for a specific worldview. The story of Fox News is framed for conservatives who feel betrayed by mainstream media. The story of fancy watch or car is framed for peo
Lanko
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
It's actually funny that this book about marketing actually can help you in...writing. Yes, that's the "Authentic Stories" part.

Also, it has a very good approach to marketing, different from the spam or other bothersome ad that actually pushes people away. Really good thoughts on people's worldview as well.

Last, never hurts to understand some facets of business.
KnowledgeSpecter
I listened to the audiobook version.

This book was a bit outdated since it came out 2005 and therefore Seth couldn’t expound his ideas on social media which didn’t exist at the time.
I still found the book valuable and the overall delivery on the lessons were great.

I love Seth’s way of looking at marketing. It’s non-traditional and has a human approach to it.

key takeaways: people don’t buy because of necessity nowadays so a good story is a must, storytelling is the way to market a product that lat
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Resonates well with Influence Without Authority. The big points here are that everyone should be marketing to the worldview people have, not trying to change people's worldview to fit what's being sold, and then to follow through on what's been guaranteed through that advertising. Everything else is essentially a case study. Godin goes into detail describing the difference between our worldviews and actual reality and how that difference can be maliciously or positively exploited ...more
Anish Bhuju
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are new to the marketing field, interested in it or see a future in it than I highly recommend this book to you. Because I see myself in this field in the near future and this book has made me more interested and given me the confident to become a better storyteller.

And people already in the marketing field will find it reenforcing what they have been doing already.

Overall this book has been an eye opener for me and has compelled me to change my worldview towards marketing.
Priya Rainelle
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfect supplement to “The Purple Cow”, another book by Seth Godin. I think his approach to marketing is useful for entrepreneurs in today’s consumer economy where there sheer volume of choice in just about any industry makes it difficult to successfully compete using traditional tactics. A good product has a good story: a story that is believable even after the experience, and has to be told over and over again.
Tom Rogers
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Nice quick read. I read it in 3 days and I am a slow reader. The main focus is around creating a story for your business to thrive. Although, parts of the book are a little repetitive I still felt it was a valuable read. The questions Seth give you at the end to form your own story that fits with your audience world view is great.
Kwang Wei Long
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting takes and insights on marketing in the social media driven world.
Seth really had marketing down to a science.
Taking a storytelling view to influence a small group who will then take it mainstream.
This book will teach you how to market your product successfully in the digital era.
Shirah nealy
Start saying"storytelling."
A free MBA.
Saeed
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great again by Seth Godin.
Kym Hamer
I expected to be WOW-ed but after closing the last page I'm feeling a bit non-plussed about the whole thing.

Must be my world-view. 3-stars.
Billy
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always an inspiring stories and insight from Seth.
Learning to story tell and convey message and communicate will bring us very far ahead.

Might focus on learning some of this skill and build up my story bank.
Anything that I do might resonate with the receivers viewpoint.
Hope Eifert
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Had some great concepts, but felt scattered. Recently read Purple Cow, also by Seth Godin, and way preferred it!
Bert Heymans
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great reminder on the importance and the value of a good story. It's a short book and the author plays tricks on the reader, a mechanic that I always enjoy.
Jimmy Pressly
I really like the ideas of storytelling in this book

• The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Marketing 3.0: From Products to Customers to the Human Spirit
  • The Thank You Economy
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step StoryBrand Guide for Any Business
  • Principles of Marketing
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Copywriting Secrets
  • Choice Factory: 25 Behavioural Biases That Influence What We Buy
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust