Start by marking “The President of Good and Evil Taking George W. Bush Seriously” as Want to Read:
The President of Good and Evil Taking George W. Bush Seriously

The President of Good and Evil Taking George W. Bush Seriously

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
President Bush talks constantly about ethics and values. They underpin all his public pronouncements, whether he is declaring war on the 'axis of evil' or announcing tax cuts. This book is an attempt to hold his policies and actions as a president up to an ethical standard, including his own.
Published April 17th 2004 by Granta Books (UK) (first published 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The President of Good and Evil Taking George W. Bush Seriously

Brad
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, my reading of The President of Good and Evil is a touch belated, but in many ways I am glad it is because I was able to appreciate Peter Singer's work more for what it does than who it is was written about.

Singer's discussion of the failure of Bush's ethics came as no surprise to me. Indeed, there was very little in Singer's argument that I hadn't already considered. The hypocrisy, the lies, the fundamentalism, the arrogance, the vengeance, the stupidity, it is all covered in well a
Tim
May 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with this book, which is very well written, is that it shoots itself in the foot. Singer starts out by saying he's going to take Bush's statements at face value, to try and discover the philosophical consistency or otherwise of the president's beliefs. His readers nod tolerantly at this conceit and wait patiently until page 209 for him to finally raise the idea that Bush's ethic is intuitive and basically, therefore, not a systematic philosophy at all. Well, blow me down, Mr Singer. ...more
Andrew Abruzzese
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moira
Great! Recommended for anyone who wants to have an informed opinion on how to analyze a person's ethics - separating what he says from what he actually does. If the two are not in agreement, then that person has a moral failing on that issue.

Bush evoked the language of good and evil often, and Singer offers a clear and fair ethical analysis of Bush's presidency, and evaluates if Bush lived up to his rhetoric. Topics: tax cuts, life before birth, stem cells, choosing who to marry, choosing how t
Carla Mitchell
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realize that George Bush is no longer president, but I will read anything by Peter Singer. A modern day philosopher and ethicist whose writing is clear and understandable to the general public. I suppose you'll like or hate this book according to how you felt about Bush as president. I always believed many of his decisions conflicted with each other and his espoused values, and the Peter Singer shows in this book exactly how true that is. He demonstrates how Bush's words and actions didn't mes ...more
Matt
If there were a thesis statement for this book, it would be "The moral values of President Bush are inconsistent." Not much of a shocker there. It was still a worthwhile skim (not necessarily full "read") though - points I found most wortwhile were summaries from Bob Woodward's recent books (Bush at War, etc) and analysis of anti-stem cell research arguments.

Also, he uses the Catholic Church's doctrine of "justifiable war" as a lens to look at the decision to invade Iraq, something that would se
Malcolm Frawley
I have read many books on the disaster, in both U.S. & global terms, that was the Bush administration. This one examines the ethics of the man, the devout Christian, who God apparently placed in the White House. Needless to say they are inconsistent, illogical &, at times, inexplicable. In Australia we have God's current rep, Tony Abbott, displaying himself as an ethical vacuum. Please God, don't place any more of your devotees in positions of power. They don't seem to pay the slightest ...more
Will Byrnes
What if we take Bush at his word. Does he mean what he says? Is there consistency to his ethical view of the world? Nah. But this book goes through the exercise of looking at many of the statements he has made and the broad values he supposedly espouses to see if there is a consistent worldview, an ethic that might, under some view be defensible. You might want to read this for completeness, but it’s like a novel in which we know how it will end far too long before the climax.
Angela
This book got shipped home in my move, so I have to wait to finish it, and am therefore moving it off my "currently reading" list. Peter Singer is my favorite philosopher and ethicist, and I've really enjoyed his approach in the book so far. The book is a bit outdated but it's nice to look back at his thoughts on the Iraq war and such...
Mark
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If I were the Karl Rove of the Democratic Party, I would have had a copy of this book and Wendell Berry’s “Citizen’s Dissent:…” in the hands of every religious leader in America. This book takes on an exhaustive moral dissection of Bush’s policies and lays bare the hypocrisy, inconsistencies, and well... evilness. Well worth a second glance at some point when it isn’t too painful.
  • Bush on the Couch: Inside the Mind of the President
  • The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr
  • A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency
  • Living High and Letting Die: Our Illusion of Innocence
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Hopeless: Barack Obama and the Politics of Illusion
  • Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • Supreme Injustice
  • Why are We at War?
  • The Clinton Tapes: Wrestling History With the President
  • The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power
  • Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency
  • Conservatives Without Conscience
  • The Clinton Wars
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
Peter Albert David Singer is an Australian philosopher. He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and laureate professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE), University of Melbourne. He specializes in applied ethics, approaching ethical issues from a secular preference utilitarian perspective.

He has served, on two occasions, as chair of phil
More about Peter Singer...