Start by marking “The Mating, (Laws of the Lycans, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mating, (Laws of the Lycans, #3)

The Mating,

(Law of the Lycans #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  24,824 ratings  ·  2,126 reviews
Elise had no idea when she came home that day that she'd end up mated to a complete stranger. A new Alpha and the need for an alliance between packs have made her a pawn.

EXCERPT: She lay beside him, staring blankly at the ceiling. The deed was done. They were mated. It didn't matter that she had no love for him nor he for her. Political alliances were more important than
Published February 26th 2010 by Smashwords (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mating,, please sign up.
Lori S. An author is free to have her wolves do what ever they want. Ms. Charles chose not to go the traditional route with her weres nor are they immortal.…moreAn author is free to have her wolves do what ever they want. Ms. Charles chose not to go the traditional route with her weres nor are they immortal. Plus, the whole point here is to follow the young character as she adjusts to her new circumstances (which isn't easy or happy by any means).(less)

Richa
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*a spoiler free and quick review*

The deed was done. They were mated.

Beside her, he stirred and she sensed him rolling over, his amber eyes staring at her. She made no move to look at him and instead tried to steady her breathing. It was no use. As she inhaled, her breath quivered betraying her emotional state. Despite blinking rapidly, a stray tear trailed down her cheek.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet Elise. She is the daughter of her pack's l
Night
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book at first. It starts off a bit awkwardly, but draws you into the world of the werewolves nicely. Somewhere around the half-way point it totally loses it and becomes a bad Nancy Drew detective novel. The main character, Elise is so mind-numbingly stupid I wasn't sure I would be able to finish the book. Elise actually makes a list of all the things that have gone wrong, but still can't figure out what's going on. The hero is equally stupid. The ending is choppy and has even more s ...more
Jessi
Warning: I read this last night while watching last weeks SNL and realizing how much I miss Amy Pohler on Weekend Update

This book was a freebie on Smashwords.com. It is pretty good, sometimes free stuff not so much. A werewolf romance, it reminded me a bit of J.R Ward’s series, many of the rules of mating are similar, but for a free book very enjoyable.
Elise is mated/arranged marriage to neighboring pack leader Kane. This is not what Elise had planned for the weekend, but she seems to be a team
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
3.5 Stars

This was a surprising and well constructed story that reminded me why I enjoy werewolves tales...

♪♫ Run with the wolves
Calling all the wolf pack
When did you go and when did you get back? ♪♫ ~ The Vaccines - Wolf Pack

description

I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY LOVE WOLF PACKS!!!!!!!!

The bonds among the wolves, the solidarity, the caring, how noisy and nosy they are, are completely endearing to me... Maybe because I come from a large family and they remind me of them. The support, interference, being there
Elle
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What can I say? LOVED. THIS. BOOK!

I've read some other reviews and I feel that they are unnecessarily harsh. People forget that this book is free and not "free for publicity" but free as in "I wrote it and am self distributing it". I doubt the writer has a team of editors to "edit" the plot, delete sections, etc. to change the story into something that will sell the most amount of copies and appeal to the greatest audience. That doesn't mean it isn't good, it means it's different.

This is similar
azerjaban
I can't even explain how much this book pissed me off. Especially because I couldn't stop reading it. Even when I wanted to reach in, tear open the heroines belly with my bare hands and dance in her blood... I still couldn't put it down.

Oh Elise, how much do I hate thee? Let me count the ways:

1- You're so very very stupid. Calling you naive is like calling Gollum special, it's a huge understatement. You actually made lists, Lists!, of everything going on around you and STILL couldn't connect th
Ann has a dirty mouth
Since this book is free, I feel like I should rate it 5 stars. If I had paid $6.99 for it though, I would have rated it a 1 star. It started out good, but the middle section really dragged, there was a lot of exposition and many meaningless misunderstanding MacGuffins(editors note- that is my best use of alliteration in a goodreads review.) Marla was also super over the top for a villian. If she had a moustache, she would have twirled it. However, this is at least as good as that Amanda Ashley b ...more
Leslie
I have a unique perspective with any book written in 3rd person. If it's done correctly, (in my opinion), it can be a rewarding and exciting point of view. Although, when it's not, the narrative can come across as patronizing; even making the reader feel like the proverbial 12 year old. That being said, this book had good potential, it just couldn't follow through.

The story begins with Elise, the heroine who also happens to be an 18 year old virgin. In order to keep relations peaceful and land
Karla
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. Different from other series that have been written in this genre. In my opinion this book is better than what I've seen from established and published authors. The story moved along nicely and I had a hard time putting it down. I felt that the 2 main characters, Kane and Elise, had great chemistry and the passion between them felt real and not forced. It was nicely written. Looking forward to reading The Keeping and other books in the series. Thanks for the great freebie N ...more
S.C. Stephens
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very unique and interesting take on modern day werewolves. The Mating is a hot, romantic novel embedded inside an edge of your seat mystery. Nicky Charles perfectly sets the scene, placing you inside this incredible world of honor and deception, love and duty. You won’t be able to put this one down!
Shari Kay
Jun 23, 2018 marked it as over-before-it-began  ·  review of another edition
Writing felt stiff to me. Character reactions...off.
Lisa Kay
...black wolf...amber eyes...
★★★★✩ I enjoyed this book; it held my attention. I really liked that it started off with the hero and heroine werewolves already being mated, a “fait accompli.” That was a nice change. (BTW, it is free right now on Kindle.)

This was a quick read as the writing flowed. Not too many editing errors; only one really jarred me out of the story. While there is nothing really new in the story-line, the characters where likable and the pacing was good. Some things were rei
liirogue
Jul 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bad book on so many levels. I am absolutely shocked at the high ratings.

Let's start with the factual/giant plot holes. An oil company cannot force you to let them drill on your land if you also own the mineral rights. The pack has owned this land for over a hundred years and they were supposedly going to be forced into signing a lease. They are out in the middle of nowhere and probably the only mineral owner out there. This is a completely made-up boogey man.

Second, just how big is th
Dee
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes PNR
Another great one from Nicky Charles and what makes it even better is that this and the others in the series are free from Smashwords. The only thing Nicky asks is that you make a donation to your local animal shelter or foodbank which in my opinion is a lovely and thoughtful thing to do ☺

Once again I thoroughly enjoyed this one and am regretting that I left it so long before actually picking it up and reading it. Like the first one I read (0.5 in the series) I was once again up until the early
Aimee
I came across this as a freebie on Barnes and Noble.com. I was pleasantly surprised. In my experience, a freebie is a freebie for a reason. But the description sounded like something I would like, so I took a chance. I'm pretty glad I did. I won't say it was my favorite book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The one thing that bothered me most was the fact that it was written in third person, but still limited to mostly to Elise's POV. If the author was going to limit like that, I think it would ha
Emily
For the good of the pack, Elise has been told she will be mated with an Alpha from another territory. Gone are the dreams of remaining by her best friend, the man she had hoped to spend eternity with. Presented in front of Alpha Kane she must do what is expected from her. Within twenty four hours her life has changed, she is mated and relocated to the new pack.

Finding her way though is an uphill battle when loyalties are questioned, despite her growing feelings for Kane, will he trust her enough
Kristy Mills
I really liked this book. I fell in love with the world Nicky Charles created pretty immediately. The story starts out fast. There was no dragging and setting up, it grabbed my attention on the first page. I loved how much I hated the villain/villainess and I love that there were surprises at the end that I didn't see coming.

I was so impressed with this story because it was free. Actually the whole series was free. I downloaded all of them immediately without having read one word. I'm amazed tha
Kami Dodson-Perry
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Let me start off by saying to everyone that Nicky Charles is a very good writer. She is also very generous because all of her books are free. You can find them on Smashwords.

This story is about Elise. She grew up in a wolf pack & is now 19. She never really paid to much attention to the politics of the pack. She should have because she is told that she is to marry an Alpha, Kane, of a Northern pack to make an alliance & keep the peace. She never met him before & it is happening in l
Jenna
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was amazed at the high ratings for this book. Kane sounded like a real alpha - tough, loves his pack, disciplines when needed, etc.

But Elise for an alpha's mate??? She was young, helpless, weak, and most of all DUMB. You are a freaking werewolf AND the daughter of a pack alpha and you didn't bother to learn werewolf physiology? Or history? Or basically anything else? She's 19 and couldn't even get a job as a waitress without her mate stepping in to ask a favor of the owner. She's the alpha fe
Jasmine1
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story and very hard to put down. It centres on a naive young girl who is abruptly wrenched from her home (and the boy she loves) and dropped into a new pack where she is mated to the Alpha – a man she has never met.

Unlike many present day heroines who are almost caricatures (kick-ass, smart mouthed, unbelievable clever etc – honestly, how many 18 year old are REALLY that put together???) Ms. Charles has chosen to keep Elise (the young girl) more down to earth. She’s sweet a
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)

Wow!!! What an awesome find! This book was fantastic. I was endless looking for a book similar to the Phoenix pack and North wolf. Sexy alpha shifters, and some very steamy love scenes, but especially I love to read about the pack politics and dynamics.

All i have to say is keep writing books like this!

Mou
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and it was my first Lycan/ Werewolf book also. AND I am not exactly happy with the outcomes.

The hero was polite, understanding and an honorable man, but his stupid blind belief in the evil women was very irritating. I find the heroine was equally stupid, she is good for nothing. She is a Lycan pack member or more precisely she is an Alpha's daughter also but doesn't know anything about the Lycans Physiology and its Business/Politics. Then after marrying another pack
Cat
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite reading a friend's review of this book, I decided to forge ahead and read it myself.

This book is definitely YA with sex in it. There is absolutely NO suspense (I'm fairly sensitive and I try to give authors the benefit of the doubt, so for me to say that there is nothing mysterious or suspenseful is sad). My biggest disappointment about this book was that everything was so clearly spelled out and yet the 'heroine' of the book was so slow and oblivious.

As for positives, I do like that the
Sophia
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf
An arranged mating, a new pack in turmoil, and a young werewolf female forced to come into her own . I've had this book on my Kindle for some time and finally took a moment to read it and found I had an engaging paranormal romance on my hands. It wove along gently for the most part building the relationship and the suspense plot together to bring things to a riveting moment.

The Law of the Lycans series can be confusing a little because at some sites The Mating is listed as book one and at others
Christine
Elise, a werewolf, comes home one day to discover that her father has picked a mate for her -- Kane, the alpha from a neighboring pack. Within hours, she has to set aside a lifetime of feelings for another man and give herself to a stranger. Hours after that, she's leaving the only home she's ever known, and meeting a new pack that has been having some...well, let's just say difficulties.

This book got off to a pretty good start, although why we needed a flashback twenty seconds in was beyond me.
Pandionhalatius37.6
I have just discovered a burning desire... To give a book, specifically this book, negative stars. I'm not even gonna go there. This should be on a shelf with that one Nora Roberts book I read thinking it was fantasy based on the cover. Apparently, there is a market for HORRIBLE literature with lots of bedroom scenes. It was like the rest of the book existed to put a few dozen pages between make out sessions. I could have told you that Marla was guilty of everything. It was blatantly obvious. An ...more
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
I really wanted to like this; however, it used my least favorite plot device of all time: the Big Misunderstanding. Also, the narrative was kind of choppy. Open to trying more from this author in the future though.
Jess the Romanceaholic
{A free read on Smashreads.com}

Excerpt: She lay beside him, staring blankly at the ceiling. The deed was done. They were mated. It didn't matter that she had no love for him nor he for her. Political alliances were more important than feelings...

As the daughter of her pack's Alpha, Elise had always known that the good of the
Anna Erishkigal
I'm a bit of a tough reviewer, but keep in mind I went back to B&N to actually BUY the next book in the series to find out what happens to Ryne (who I assume is the next story due to the epilogue) throughout my critique and was pleasantly surprised it is being offered for free. I provide feedback other than 'that's nice' so the author can improve their craft.

This book gripped me from the beginning and sucked me in. The dialogue flowed, there was just enough werewolf history to make it believ
Steph
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
***** a few minor spoilers *********
Just to warn I'm not all that good with reviews, so I hope I am not just whittering on lol...

This book was recomended by you lovely ladies here on Goodreads! I was using this book to pass the time, (while waiting very impatiently to order Lover Unleashed lol) so I was't expecting that much. But omg I loved it so much! I really love Kane, I think he is so caring, understanding, and lets not forget SEXY as hell lol. I loved his possesive side that we see a few
werewolf romance books? 116 3353 Jan 15, 2019 04:46PM
Looking for series 1 9 Sep 24, 2017 07:22PM
YA werewolf novel 1 4 Dec 16, 2015 08:48PM
YA werewolf novel 1 4 Dec 16, 2015 08:48PM
Does anyone know of any other really good werewolf books?! 31 1111 Mar 21, 2015 09:09PM
Looking for a book 5 30 Feb 26, 2015 06:16PM
Fantasy Lover: The Mating Discussion 1 16 Sep 11, 2013 07:49AM
  • Black Silk
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, Part II)
  • Dark Wolf Rising (Bloodrunners, #4)
  • Before The Moon Rises (Ritter Werewolves, #1)
  • Madison
  • Tranquility (Otherkin, #2)
  • Linus & The Angel (The Wolf's Mate, #2)
  • The Spell (The Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Once Bitten (Alexa O’Brien, Huntress, #1)
  • Katie's Hellion (Rhyn Trilogy, #1)
  • A Royal Heartbreak  (The Moretti Werewolf, #2)
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • A Bit of Bite
  • The Charmer (Darklands, #1)
  • The Loneliest Alpha (The MacKellen Alphas, #1)
  • Wickedest Witch
  • Life Blood
Nicky Charles is an independent writer/publisher who became an author quite by accident. She always saw herself as a ‘reader not a writer’ and can thank—or blame, depending on the day—her friend/editor and fellow author, Jan Gordon, for the career she now finds herself immersed in. The tale goes something like this:

In January of 2009, Nicky penned a fanfiction for an old TV series, “Scarecrow and

Law of the Lycans (9 books)
  • The Keeping (Law of the Lycans, #2)
  • The Finding (Law of the Lycans, #3)
  • Bonded (Law of the Lycans #4)
  • Betrayed: Days of the Rogue (Law of the Lycans, #5)
  • Betrayed: Book Two - The Road to Redemption  (Law Of The Lycans, #6)
  • For the Good of All (Law of the Lycans, #7)
  • Deceit can be Deadly (Law of the Lycans, #8)
  • Veil of Lies
“You know, Elise, sometimes our lives have moments of great disappointment. It's difficult at the time, but we have to move beyond.” 60 likes
“Rule number one: never assume your mate spends all her time in the kitchen.” 34 likes