Start by marking “Dark Powers (Decorah Security, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Powers (Decorah Security, #5)

Dark Powers

(Decorah Security #5)

New Cover Edition found here.

Suffering from PTSD after a traumatic undercover assignment, Decorah Security agent Ben Walker must cope with a new mission—and a woman determined to find her kidnapped sister at all costs. He’d prefer to work alone, but Sage Arnold insists on coming with him to Doncaster, Maryland, where secrets fester below the surface of small-town life.
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 199 pages
Published September 27th 2012 by Light Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Dark Powers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Powers

Start your review of Dark Powers (Decorah Security, #5)
Myst
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pick-fantasy
Cool to see Cole again but the ending meeh. neither said the words just only thought at different points.
Ilene G>
It is okay.

I liked parts of the plot. I liked Sage and Ben. They have flaws, but care for it here people. The majority of the plot concerns Sage's missing sister. There is a sub-plot I thought was unnecessary. The reveal of the kidnapper seemed out of place. Still, I did like it.
Karen Fisher
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: karen-fisher
Boy what a story! Sage hires Ben to find her sister. Her home town is picture perfect on the surface. Underneath not so much. The suspense is very well written and what an ending!
Radd Reader
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
No secrets between these two and I liked that. However, there seemed to be some inconsistencies. The reveal of the Hooded Man didn’t seem plausible and I felt it left some holes open.
Rebecca Delio
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GREAT STORY

Rebecca York's books are great especially the paranormal ones. Her stories are great and realistic and I very much enjoy them...
Dianne
Oct 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
DARK POWERS (Decorah Security) by Rebecca York

I haven’t read anything by this author so I didn’t know what to expect. But I did read all the reviews, both pro and con and now I realized that the con reviews were the ones I should have listened to.

Sage wants to find her sister who has been missing for several days. She has spoken to the police in the town in which her sister lives and got a canned answer that she must have run away. Sage does not believe that so she hires Decorah Security Agency
The BookChick
This story was almost a DNF for me. It dragged on and there seemed to be a nonsensical plot of the town fathers that didn't connect to the primary story of Laurel's disappearance. Ben, the tortured hero, wasn't particularly believable because the presented story only eluded to why he felt broken. He seemed to have taken his experiences on the Windward too personal. I understand that his sister was killed but his guilt seemed more about the others than her which was quite odd.

The final sex scene
Dianne
A small town has a history of girls going missing, never to be found. Ben Walker, a Decorah Securities agent, is tortured by his past failures in an important case. He now has the chance to redeem himself and find the sister of the woman he loves. Meanwhile, Laurel, Sage's missing sister must do whatever is necessary to keep herself alive while in the hands of a deranged killer.

The story is short, so there isn't time to delve deeply into each character and give them the depth they deserve. That
Sharon Michael
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I knew it might not be quite 'my thing' when I tried it. Some romantic suspense books work for me, some have too much emphasis on the romance/sex scenes but the ones that tend to build more on the mystery/suspense often do work for me.

This was readable and held my interest, but I skimmed/skipped the more graphic sex scenes which tended to annoy me. I also I found the paranormal threads, which is another thing I do enjoy, somewhat underdeveloped.

Will appeal much more to romance readers,
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I really enjoyed this book. I do think however you should read book one of this series first, Dark Moon. In dark moon you meet Ben on the windward.

Ben is plagued with things he has done and witnessed in his past. He now works for Decorah security and is assigned to help Sage find her sister who has gone missing. No one in town seems to care that she is missing and the town elite try to cover it up saying she just ran away after a fight with her mother. It's a great story with lots of mystery
Jacquelyn Smith
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Ms York is a creative master when it comes to unusual paranormal romance and once again she did not let her fans down.
Dark Powers opens up with hard and exciting action, that I was hooked three Lines into the book.
This story is filled will corruption, sex slaves, a sister who want to play P.I and Ben's past keep plaguing
him if a wonder if this case get solved.
The ending will make you run to the book store, but don't take my word for it read I for yourself.

Kathy
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this wonderful steamy adventure in the 4th Book of the Decorah Security Series and loved it! It was hard to put down! Our heroine Ben has tortured himself over his past mistakes to the point that he deems he is unworthy of love. Our heroine Sage is determined to find her kidnapped sister with Ben's help and discovers that her attraction to Ben can help redeem his past mistakes. You will love this romance, suspenseful adventure!
Brenda
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, which takes place after Dark Moon, which is where Ben's story actually starts. I noticed some readers mentioned they couldn't connect with him and why he was so tortured. In many ways Dark Powers isn't a stand alone-- it really does need to be read after Dark Moon to fully appreciate Ben's character. This is romantic suspense with themes of forgiveness, healing and family- it has a touch of paranormal, but it's not the focus of the story.
Jo Notary
199pgs, Desperate to find her sister, Sage Arnold turns to Decorah Security agent Ben Walker. They're in a race against time to rescue her sister from a serial killer. And their uneasy working relationship flares into hot passion as they navigate the dangerous waters of a beach town where nothing is as it seems.
Nicky Penttila
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not my usual type of romance (small town, people with "special abilities," suspense+first-meet romance), but it is well paced and has complex characters who grow, even in the short space of this novella. It also has a villain (!), who is a bit old-fashioned but with a twist. Also the idea that the true love is the one who sees the beauty in you, past all the wounding.
Lhenry
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I always like the opposite kind of paranormal, like when the hero, rather than the heroine is the psychic, so this was right up my alley. It was reasonable exciting - I didn't get super caught up in it but it kept my attention and had a bit of a twist at the end,
Ruth
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spec-fic
Oh dear. Perhaps because this is the fourth in a series but I didnt get the 'insta' stuff. I did try but have to admit that I ended up skimming which is only just slightly better than a Dnf. For that reason, unable to recommend to the normal crew.
Sandie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Poorly written. The story could have been told without werewolves and time spent on a boat. Really?
AH
Dec 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 12/5/12.
Wendy coling ( trowbridge)
Another good book. Enjoyed and you must read sages story about her sister and the guy she hires to help her find her. They fall for each other while looking.
Glenda Bettin
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book
Ellen
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-r-c-g
This is a o.k. read. I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. There was just something off with it, I can't put my finger on.
I most likely will not read the next one
Anita
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book more than I thought. The paranormal aspects seemed to be secondary to the romance and suspense.
TracyG
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like this better second time.
Delta
Jun 20, 2014 added it
Recommended to Delta by: eReaderIQ.com
Free 06-20-14 (PNR, Suspense)

Becky
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was ok, some parts were a little stiff and awkward. i wasn't really interested in the sex scenes.
Victoria
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Kim Jackson
Good book. I'm anxious to see are there any full length novels featuring the werewolves.
Kathy
Oct 27, 2012
Lexee Toste
May 31, 2014

• Possessor of the Heart (Death Knight #2)
  • Appointed By Fate (The Mobster Files #1)
  • Nightmare in Agate Bay: A Pierce Mostyn Paranormal Investigation (Pierce Mostyn Paranormal Investigations Book 1)
  • Spooky Skeleton (Jane Garbo Mysteries Book 5)
  • The Sheikh’s Unexpected Fiancée (Omirabad Shiekhs Book 3)
  • Her Mafia Boss: A Dark Romance (Romano Mafia Brothers Book 2)
  • Blood Bath & Beyond (Immortality Bites Mystery #1; Immortality Bites #6)
  • Spooky Business (Jane Garbo Mysteries Book 1)
  • Muffins and Mobsters (Pelican Cove #6)
  • A Frosty Mug of Murder (The Grumpy Chicken Irish Pub, #1)
  • The Vargas Cartel Trilogy (Vargas Cartel, #1-3)
  • The Haunting of Hemlock Grove Manor
  • A Sheikh for Christmas (All I Want for Christmas is..., #1)
  • Wrapping Up (A Wayfair Witches' Cozy Mystery #5)
  • First Fangs: A Diablo Falls Paranormal Short Story
  • Prince Markus III: The Torturer
  • His on Demand
  • Beauty and the Sheikh (A is for Alpha, #1)
Ruth Glick (born 1942) is a best-selling author of healthy cookbooks and has also written dozens of romantic suspense romance novels under the pen name Rebecca York.

Ruth earned a B.A. in American Thought and Civilization from George Washington University and an M.A. in American Studies from the University of Maryland. Although she always wanted to become a writer, Glick was convinced that her lack

Decorah Security (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • On Edge (Decorah Security, #1)
  • Dark Moon (Moon, #10; Decorah Security, #2)
  • Chained (Decorah Security, #3)
  • Ambushed (Decorah Security, #4)
  • Hot and Dangerous (Decorah Security #6)
  • At Risk (Decorah Security, #7)
  • Christmas Captive (Decorah Security, #8)
  • Destination Wedding (Decorah Security, #9)
  • Rx Missing (Decorah Security, #10)
  • Hunting Moon (Decorah Security, #11)