Start by marking “The Discarded Ones” as Want to Read:
The Discarded Ones

The Discarded Ones

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  18 reviews
They had many names: Mount Bachelor Academy, Cedu School, and Boulder Creek Academy. Some called them cults, some said the schools saved their lives. But none of them were free to leave. Charlie Hoff was there. Soon you will be, too. Unlock the mysteries of The Academy with Charlie as he faces the hardest decision of his life: escape or assimilate. Neither will be easy.
Published November 1st 2012 by Waxlight Press (first published September 15th 2012)

Tim Goodson
Haunting, heavy, and heartbreaking. The Discarded Ones is a strange journey through a boarding school for bad kids. The students have to lean on each other, but they also have to use each other to stay one step ahead of the program that threatens to take all they have left. I am not a teenager. It seems like it would be an intense book for teens, but an important one. Myself, I saw the parellels between the students and our society as a nation where fear is used to control, where patriotism is u ...more
Jonathan Livingston
Oct 25, 2012 Jonathan Livingston rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older teens, parents, students, or anyone who wants to enter a brand new world.
Recommended to Jonathan Livingston by: someone in my acting class said "You GOT to read this weird story. I can't stop thining about it!" That was good enough for me.
This book is hardcore. Not only does it drop you in the middle of a social experement, but it doesn't let up. There are times when I had to stop reading because it was too emotional and hit too close to home. Then, there were other times when I held my breath and couldn't stop. When I was done reading it really felt like it happened to me. It was kind of like Lord of the FLies at a rehab where you can't talk to the outside world and you don't know what to expect day after day. Totally unique sto ...more
Thomas
James Tipper wrote the book that every student who graduated The C.E.D.U. School would like to write. I was happily surprised that no hidden agenda skewed his honest descriptions of that time and place that we have all tried to share with our family, friends, spouses, children. His memories are spot-on. He dug deep and was able to paint a complete picture that honestly depicted student and staff, for better or for worse. He also showed his exceptional writing skills - "The Discarded Ones" is a p ...more
Danny Masterson
Wow. This was unputdownable once I got into it. Next time you think you're having a hard time in school think of The Academy. I was pulling for the main character and he felt exactly like I would have felt. Without giving too much away, this book is like a fever dream at times. Loved it.
HT
This book was totally different to the one I was expecting to read. I'd predicted all kinds of murders and enemies and terrible things along the same lines, but what I got was a different breed of terrible.

The Plot

The Discarded Ones follows Charlie Hogg, a young boy from San Jose. Life wasn't going to well for him; his dad left when he was young, the grandfather who had taken up the role as father had died fairly recently and, as if Charlie wasn't feeling bad enough, his mom married an asshole a
Lisa Lower
An absolutely fascinating portrayal of a boy's journey through a strange boarding school that overwhelms him while it forces him to find new aspects of himself to get through. It's coming of age meets Orwell.

Weird, highly emotionally charged and entertaining, this story will get under your skin. The fact that it is true makes it all the more compelling. On one hand: a theraputic haunted house where your darkest secrets must be revealed to save your skin, on the other a journey into manhood for
Zoe
Totally original. It's like you're there (whether you want to or not). THe author calls it a horror novel in the begining and after you finish you know what he means. It's a whole new kind of anxiety. I thought it was definately a good read!
Pat Brown
What a trip. Totally original story about a place that actually existed. Maybe it still does? I'm still googling about it. Don't start reading the end of the book if you have to work early the next morning.
Heather
Having gone to a copycat version of The Academy, I could not believe some of the memories this brought back. Its a fictional story set in a non fictional place.
Joe Altmeyer
Best book I've read all year. Mostly because it was so unique and it caught me off guard. At first, it was hard to get into the world, but it didn't take long. Once I was in, I was in deep and I devoured this book. I love that it is based on a true story. For some reason that made it so much more compelling. Really thought it was good. It's one of those books that you can't get out of your head.
Art3mis
You know those books that you wish wouldn't end? This is one. I think the most remarkable thing about it was that I read it a month ago and I still think about it from time to time. A lot of books are great, but you forget about them in a day or so and move on to the next. This one sticks withyou, and to me, that's the mark of a good read.
Patrick Naughton
This was so interesting and original.
At first, I felt a little lost, but looking back I realize so was the main character and before I knew it I was versed in this strange environment along with him at the same pace.
What an odd, creepy and anachonistic place to send a kid.
I was cheering at the end.
Good read.
Anna
Sad story, but I devoured this book, because I just had to find out what happened to Charlie the academy. Interesting insight on wilderness schools. Scary too.
Voracious
Sad. I don't understand how parents could send a child to a residential home without seeking out 'graduates' and their parents,to talk through what was really involved.
Angela Juline
There was just something off about this book...but with respect to the high marks the book has already received, i gave it a 3 instead of a 2.
Tanya Jackson
Pretty good story. I loved the main character Charlie. Hard to imagine that places like this exist.
Florian V.
Unforgettable story. True, but hard to believe. Stayed up all night to find out what happened!
Kirakori
Not reeling me in. No sexual assaults.
Marie-Anne
Marie-Anne marked it as to-read
Michael Cox
Michael Cox marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Zoey Martin
Zoey Martin marked it as to-read
Denis
Denis added it
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Caitlin Strebing
Caitlin Strebing marked it as to-read
Lauren Casey
Lauren Casey marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Chetna
Chetna marked it as to-read
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
The Discarded Ones by James Tipper - inside the secret world. 1 16 Nov 21, 2012 11:09AM
  • Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud: Relapse and the Symptoms of Sobriety
  • The Grand Delusion (Manufactured Identity, Book #2)
  • What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective of the Intelligence of Human Nature and Gut Instinct
  • The Manufacture of Madness
  • Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective
  • Existential Psychotherapy
  • Vein Fire
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Malignant Self Love: Narcissism Revisited
  • Insomniac
  • The Man with the Devil's Tongue (The End of the World and Some Other Things, #0.1)
  • The Hanging Woods
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Darkling
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love
Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween