Start by marking “The Discarded Ones” as Want to Read:
The Discarded Ones

The Discarded Ones

They had many names: Mount Bachelor Academy, Cedu School, and Boulder Creek Academy. Some called them cults, some said the schools saved their lives. But none of them were free to leave. Charlie Hoff was there. Soon you will be, too. Unlock the mysteries of The Academy with Charlie as he faces the hardest decision of his life: escape or assimilate. Neither will be easy.
Published November 1st 2012 by Waxlight Press (first published September 15th 2012)

Thomas
Jan 04, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing
James Tipper wrote the book that every student who graduated The C.E.D.U. School would like to write. I was happily surprised that no hidden agenda skewed his honest descriptions of that time and place that we have all tried to share with our family, friends, spouses, children. His memories are spot-on. He dug deep and was able to paint a complete picture that honestly depicted student and staff, for better or for worse. He also showed his exceptional writing skills - "The Discarded Ones" is a p ...more
HT
Sep 10, 2013 HT rated it liked it
This book was totally different to the one I was expecting to read. I'd predicted all kinds of murders and enemies and terrible things along the same lines, but what I got was a different breed of terrible.

The Plot

The Discarded Ones follows Charlie Hogg, a young boy from San Jose. Life wasn't going to well for him; his dad left when he was young, the grandfather who had taken up the role as father had died fairly recently and, as if Charlie wasn't feeling bad enough, his mom married an asshole a
Heather
Oct 11, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Having gone to a copycat version of The Academy, I could not believe some of the memories this brought back. Its a fictional story set in a non fictional place.
MLP
Oct 08, 2016 MLP rated it it was amazing
This is an extraordinary book. I am a doctor and have had to perform many mental health evaluations on boys who have been in places like this. They exist, and this is exactly what happens to kids there. They die on the inside. They are isolated. They are in survival mode. Parents who justify sending their children to wilderness camps, therapeutic boarding schools, or residential facilities by telling themselves this will help their child and their family to function better are either ignorant to ...more
Tanya Jackson
Jan 19, 2013 Tanya Jackson rated it really liked it
Pretty good story. I loved the main character Charlie. Hard to imagine that places like this exist.
Angela Juline
Feb 16, 2013 Angela Juline rated it liked it
There was just something off about this book...but with respect to the high marks the book has already received, i gave it a 3 instead of a 2.
Anna
Feb 15, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Sad story, but I devoured this book, because I just had to find out what happened to Charlie the academy. Interesting insight on wilderness schools. Scary too.
Voracious
Oct 07, 2013 Voracious rated it liked it
Sad. I don't understand how parents could send a child to a residential home without seeking out 'graduates' and their parents,to talk through what was really involved.
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Bry
Bry rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Aqsa
Aqsa rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Ezreal
Ezreal rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Pradeep
Pradeep rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Robert Kandel
Robert Kandel rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2015
Abdullaharmy101
Abdullaharmy101 rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Ellen Copeland
Ellen Copeland rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
 Rey King
Rey King rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Erik Bisbee
Erik Bisbee rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2015
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2015
Solar Steam
Solar Steam rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Sel
Sel rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Ytaksnikpoh
Ytaksnikpoh rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud: Relapse and the Symptoms of Sobriety
  • The Grand Delusion (Manufactured Identity, Book #2)
  • Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective
  • Vein Fire
  • What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective of the Intelligence of Human Nature and Gut Instinct
  • The Manufacture of Madness
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Existential Psychotherapy
  • The Man with the Devil's Tongue (The End of the World and Some Other Things, #0.1)
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry
  • Choir Boy
  • Malignant Self Love: Narcissism Revisited
  • The Hanging Woods
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love
  • Glimmerglass