Start by marking “Front Page Fatality (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Front Page Fatality (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #1)

Front Page Fatality

(A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller #1)

When two rookie cops are killed in a fiery crash near Richmond, Virginia, crime reporter Nichelle Clarke is sent in to investigate. She assumes it will be routine, a scene like many other accidents she's covered.

She's wrong.

This was no ordinary accident.

And as Nichelle digs deeper into the case, people and evidence begin to disappear. Someone is one step ahead of her, desp
Published January 29th 2013 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about Front Page Fatality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Page Fatality

Alex ♈
'Light' thriller.
Strong sassy heroine (a reporter investigating crimes and writing about them), decent suspense, well written.

No detailed scenes of violence, but still a thriller genre.

I really liked the heroine! A woman, who doesn't fall at men's feet, who doesn't drool over hot/sexy/ect guys - sign me up!
She has also a big heart! She genuinely cares for people.
I love how she loves her mom! 😍

I expect a very intriguing romantic development: here is a mysterious 'mafia'-guy and her ex/1st love.
Larissa Reinhart
I loved this mystery staring Nichelle "Nicey" Clarke, shoe collector and ace reporter for a Richmond, VA, newspaper. As Nichelle follows leads, she starts to unravel a potentially huge story involving drugs, the mafia, and the local police department. I loved Nichelle's quick thinking and loved the newsroom setting.

LynDee Walker has written a stellar debut novel. Nichelle's quest for the big story puts her in a lot of danger, but Walker's written a realistic portrayal of an up and coming reporte
Ann Lou
I am on a crime/thriller streak these days.  Not because I get high on murders or other gruesome crimes.    I want to read about the good guys putting away these sick bastards.  But what would be more satisfying, is if we could torture and prolong these bastards agony. (bloodthirsty much?)  I think, Alex would be with me in this one.  What do you think, sweets? *wink*

But I digress... Let's talk about the book, shall we?  To borrow from Alex's term,  this one is "light thriller"  which I needed c
Terri Austin
Shoe lover and ace reporter, Nichelle Clarke, has a dream--to work for the Washington Post. Until then, she's doing time at the Richmond Telegraph. When she discovers a drug-related murder that seems like a more like a vigilante killing, Nichelle simply follows the trail.

Suddenly, an ex-baseball player and the sports columnist for the paper, Parker, takes notice of Nichelle. But when he turns up at the river where two law enforcement officers die in a police boat accident, she wonders if his in
Julie
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites, mystery
Front Page Fatality is very well written and really pulls you in from page one. It has the perfect combination of humor and colorful turns of phrase to have you laughing, plus a mystery that keeps you guessing. With an interesting and varied cast of characters (any one of whom could be a suspect - I found myself suspicious of almost everyone at some point in the story) and some plot developments that had my jaw dropping, this is a book that I can definitely recommend to everyone. I couldn't put ...more
Maer
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
LynDee Walker's debut novel, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, is fast-paced, fun and witty. Tightly written, with engaging and believable characters, the story moves through twists and turns that keep you guessing. I particularly enjoyed the heroine, Nichelle, with her sense of style and quirky manner. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and highly recommend this first one.
Nora-adrienne
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Nichelle Clarke is my new super hero... she makes Lois Lane look like a Brownie. I'm definitely putting LynDee Walker on my "watch for this author" list.

Better review in the morning.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received an ARC from the author who only asked for a fair and impartial review.
Marianne
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a newspaper reporter I found this book very entertaining. I do everything – police coverage to political news and feature pieces; my skills have me writing everything for our paper (and I am the only writer that will take on everything).

In some ways, this book made me very jealous. The author’s descriptions of her newsroom and the events that took place, combined with the added competition from other media makes it sound like the kind of newsroom I would want to be working in. For me, it is
Gretchen Archer
Lucky me, got an early-bird read, and I loved Front Page Fatality! Nichelle Clarke (love her name) has to nail down her story, scoop her competition, bat off a coworker gunning for her job, keep one eye on the mob, and make sure her investigative piece isn’t the last one she’ll ever write, because she may be up against the worst bad guys ever-- the good guys. But which good guys? This story will keep you guessing. Nichelle is tough, tireless, can walk in Louboutins, and has a huge heart. What I ...more
Terri

- interesting characters
- kept me guessing
- Who’s Joey?
- Parker???

All of these are ways I’d describe “Front Page Fatality”, LynDee Walker’s 1st book in the series featuring Nichelle Clarke. While it didn’t end on a cliff hanger, there are enough unanswered questions that make me want to dive right into Book #2!
Paula  Phillips
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Move over Lois Lane and welcome Nichelle Clark, with goals and aims to be the next Washington Post reporter Nichelle Clark had to take a small detour and begin working for a smalltown newspaper writing their Crime Beat section. It seems though that this may very well be her big move and the Headlines that makes her job. What starts out as a normal crime day with a drug dealer shot dead starts to develop into a bigger story when Nichelle remembers that another dealer a few weeks prior was killed ...more
BrotherSkip
Light thriller, slow going.
The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★★★
EXCELLENT: The characteristics of a 5 star story include: an awesome story; and, I love everything about the story — characters, plot, and story elements. I would definitely read it again and I would highly recommend to a friend and rave about it often.
Book Description:
Crime reporter Nichelle Clarke’s days can flip from macabre to comical with a beep of her police scanner. Then an ordinary accident story turns extraordinary when evidence goes missing, a prosecutor vanishes, and
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Front Page Fatality is a pretty cozy and intriguing mystery novel with complex characters. The writing is very easy to follow and get into and the narrative is engaging, but the way the mystery is developed is a little too easy for me.

The main character has quite a few clues fall into her lap and some plot points are rather convenient so as to help her figure out what's going on. There isn't a lot of tension in the plot as information just falls from the sky and straight into Nichelle's hands. S
John Bohnert
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This crime reporter novel was a real page turner.
I plan to read the other five books in this series set in Richmond, Virginia.
Anita
On a side note:  I like the newer covers for this series.  It's been noted that LynDee Walker was able to get the rights to all of her books, thus giving her the opportunity to repackage her series.  Each book gets a brand new, grittier looking cover illustration, and the whole series gets a brand new title as well, having previously been known as A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, which I can see why it had been given this series title in the first place, but doesn't really show you that there' ...more
Ramsey Hootman
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mystery is not my go-to genre, but I got the opportunity to beta-read this book before it went to press and very much enjoyed doing so. Walker's prose is snappy and sharp, which pairs perfectly with her equally snazzy heroine. I like that Nichelle is experienced, determined, career-driven, and still very feminine all at the same time.

Likewise, I enjoyed the two major male figures... whom I will refrain from detailing any further to avoid spoilers. I hate books where the female protag just sort o
Lynn Farris
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The tag line on Lyn Dee Walker’s web site,‘mysteries with smart women, sexy men, and a southern drawl’ sums it up neatly. What more could you ask for? ‘Front Page Fatality’, the debut novel from author Lyn Dee Walker, I predict will be the first of many. She has already sold the second book in the series, ‘Buried Leads.”

As the story opens, crime reporter, Nichelle Clarke, Nicey to her friends, is knee deep in dead bodies. As she states,

"A body before I’d even made it to the newsroom was usually
Erin Coe
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fast and fun read by a new author, LynDee Walker. Nicelle Clarke is a strong and driven journalist working the crime pages of the Richmond newspaper when she stumbles (sometimes literally, due to her high-priced heel addiction) into the story of a lifetime. Her insatiable curiosity will either get her killed or promoted and I honestly wasn't sure which it would be until the last few pages. Full of genuine characters, honest dialogue and fancy stilettos - it is the perfect weekend read!
Tina Moss
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
You have to love a heroine with a penchant for designer shoes--the eBay way! Nichelle is an ace reporter looking to climb her way to the top, but when she investigates a case where the line between the good and bad guys blurs, she'll uncover more danger than losing the latest virtual bid. With an intriguing mystery that keeps you guessing, a heroine that keeps you cheering, and a fast paced plot that keeps your heat racing, Front Page Fatality is a major win!
Britney
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: wom-reads, nookbooks, rtyr
Nichelle Clarke is a crime reporter who's gets in over her head after she writing a story about a boating accident gone wrong. For the most part Nicey knows what she's doing but there one way spot in particular in the book that had me shaking my head like why would you do that. No smart would have fell for that.

The story's got mystery, intrigue, funny, sexual tension and a great locale. Not a bad start to a new series.
Berit☀️✨
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This was definitely a fun book! I loved Michaela, I loved her fashion sense and Tenacity. I definitely love when the tough girl can still have an extremely feminine side, why can't you have both??? The only problem I had with his book is it was a bit scattered and all over the place, maybe a little too much going on. Sometimes things were a little bit unrealistic, but that usually doesn't bother me. I liked the characters enough in this book to definitely give the next book in the series ago.
Ruth Turner
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. Well written, fast paced with an interesting story line and a great cast of characters.

Thanks, Gabby, for recommending this series.
Debi
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic debut. I look forward to reading what she puts out next.
Melissa
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So so, at best. Thought a mystery/suspense set in Richmond would be fun to read and interesting but this was no where near as good as a Patricia Cornwall Kay Scarpetta novel,
Henry
Another fabulous read. Will continue to follow this series.
Kate
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I've been a fan of LynDee Walker for a long time, having met her at various book events. My TBR Pile is more of a mountain that many a bookish hiker has been lost trying to reach the top, but I finally made time for book one.

Loved the Richmond setting and the busy life of fabulously heeled Nichelle (although I prefer comfort over fashion, I still appreciate the beauty of designer shows). The action was great, as was the mystery, and some promised romantic action in the future.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-review
Clark, dreams of working for The Washington Post, however; she has yet to make an impression on them. Steadily working her beat, she’s never far from her police scanner in hopes of chasing the story that will give her the break she needs. When a drug dealer is found murdered, police are quick to assume it was a vigilante behind it, but nothing about the crime scene makes sense. Nichelle’s given a key piece of evidence and begins some overwhelming research, only to realize that everything is not ...more
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
Front Page Fatality was a great read. Nichelle is a girl after my own heart – she loves books and shoes, and so do I. (Although I can’t wear as many of the shoes that Nichelle does because I have stupid ankles.) But I digress. She’s a crime reporter for the local Richmond newspaper, and is very good at it too.

The storyline was well written and made for a witty, fun-filled read. The characters were very realistic, even for the short time that we met some of them, and added to the overall enjoymen
James Moody
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book by a talented new writer. Ms Walker's background in journalism is evidenced throughout this first novel which finds the protagonist going to great lengths as well as putting herself in personal danger to get to the bottom of a perplexing news story.

Who can she trust in her quest to discover the truth behind the strange deaths of two police officers in a boating "accident?" Not the other cops, that's for sure and not even the others at the newspaper except for Bob, her editor --
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FPF Pin It to Win It CONTEST 1 8 Feb 06, 2013 02:10PM
Get Lost in a Story: LynDee Walker and Front Page Fatality 4 6 Jan 29, 2013 02:54PM

• Death in Perspective (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #4)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Other People's Baggage (Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas)
  • That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery, #2)
  • MacDeath (An Ivy Meadows Mystery, #1)
  • Double Dip (Davis Way Crime Caper, #2)
  • The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)
LynDee Walker is the national bestselling author of two crime fiction series featuring strong heroines and “twisty, absorbing" mysteries. Her first Nichelle Clarke crime thriller, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, was nominated for the Agatha Award for best first novel, and in 2018, she introduced readers to Texas Ranger Faith McClellan in FEAR NO TRUTH. Reviews have praised her work as "well-crafted, compelli ...more

A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller (7 books)
  • Buried Leads
  • Small Town Spin
  • Devil in the Deadline
  • Cover Shot
  • Lethal Lifestyles
  • Deadly Politics
“That could be a very sexy story.” 7 likes
“But that’s the thing about dead people: they can’t warn you to keep your nose out of things that are going to put your ass in danger.” 5 likes