Start by marking “2,000 to 10,000: How to Write Faster, Write Better, and Write More of What You Love” as Want to Read:

"Have you ever wanted to double your daily word counts? Do you sometimes feel like you're crawling through your story? Do you want to write more every day without increasing the time you spend writing or sacrificing quality? It's not impossible, it's not even that hard. This is the book explaining how, with a few simple changes, I boosted my daily writing from 2000 words t ...more
Published October 7th 2012

Start your review of 2,000 to 10,000: How to Write Faster, Write Better, and Write More of What You Love
Dannii Elle
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite measuring in at under 100 pages this is one of the most inspirational and impactful volumes on writing that I have ever read.

As the title suggests, this focuses on how to increase your daily word count when writing. In actuality it is so much more than that. This does not just focus on merely quantifying your writing but adding to the quality of it, as well. It guides the reader into creating stronger foundations and aids them in making the writing process faster and more free-flowing. I
Rose
Much better than I thought it was going to be, and immensely valuable. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this often, though many of the methods Aaron uses are ones I put into practice as well in my writing endeavors. Review to come soon.
Marguerite Kaye
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a 'how to write' book before. Having written nearly 30 books myself, I thought I didn't need one. Then gradually over the last few of my books, my productivity has slowed, and each one got harder and harder, and the last one, I just about gave up on in despair. I'd come across Rachel Aaron's original blog post ages ago, I'd sort of adopted it then forgotten about it. Then (one of those magical moments) I was considering dumping my book, and I saw Rachel was taking part in an on ...more
Melanie A.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
I liked the author's practical, no-nonsense approach.

I've decided to take a quote from the book and make it my daily affirmation:
I'm not a temperamental artist enslaved to the whims of her muse.
In other words: Get your ass in gear. :-) Hopefully it takes.
Robert Krenzel
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
There is nothing really new in this book, but that doesn't mean it isn't with a read.

It's like this: some years ago I was a seasoned Army captain working with officer candidates. The candidates were about to do a night map & compass test, and I decided to try my hand to show my skills were still sharp. We were issued our maps and tests, the sergeant said "Go!" And most of the guys and gals plunged into the bushes to find their first points. The old guy, me (I was 31ish), sat down on a rock and
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of writing books over the last fifteen years, from the inspirational anyone-can-write fare to the daunting slush-pile-avoidance and plot-doctoring books that operate on the assumption that I already have a complete manuscript. I don't, because I basically have not figured out how to get my shit together.

Finally, I think this might be the book that helps me get my shit together. Writing processes are highly individual (and Rachel Aaron acknowledges that!), but there's so much here
Jane
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-writing
I think I need to read this over again because I read it while prepping for an international move and finishing off a novel, and it basically went in one ear and out the other.

There was a point at which writing fast and hitting huge word counts per day was a Big Effing Deal in the writer world, and I guess Aaron was one of the gurus of this movement. Lately, though, I haven't been hearing much about writing fast, probably because the proponents of this method have burned out. And most people who
Cristian
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
This little book has a huge ambition. The first part provides a system formed of a few hacks on how to radically increase your writing productivity. In the second part, the author describes how she writes her own books, dealing with the character, plot, settings and editing.

The essence of how to get faster, described in the first part can be summarized easily: Know what you are writing about, choose the best time for writing and write with enthusiasm. All these elements seem obvious, but we oft
Rebekah Morris
I had read Rachel's blog post about how she went from writing 2k words a day to 10k, some time ago and decided I should try her book.
One thing I liked was that she tells you right from the start that there is no RIGHT way to write. Everyone is different, and the things that work for one person, might not work for another. That is so true, but it seems that many authors have either forgotten that, or choose to ignore it.
The first part of the book told the story of how she went from 2k to 10k, and
Poppy Williams
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Game Changer

I purchased this book based on a recommendation. And now, after the results I've seen, I definitely need to send that person flowers!

I'll admit when I first saw the title, it made me think of all those crazy diet claims you see. Like - "Lose 50 pounds in one week!" But I can assure you, this is no joke. This is the real deal.

After reading through the book, I immediately put Rachel's techniques into action. After just three days I've seen pretty amazing results. My daily word count ha
Olivia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has some great tips, and offers an interesting approach to writing faster. Perhaps I'm finally ready to put it into practice and spend less time procrastinating.

Recommended to anyone who sits in front of a document a lot, trying to write words. (Emphasis on trying.) Valuable advice!
D. Jason
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing, for the most part. Rachel Aaron's advice is basically to be a heavy planner (as opposed to a "pantser", that is, a "write by the seat of your pants" style writer). If you plan out every chapter and every scene before you actually start "writing", you see, the writing goes quicker.

Stop the presses.

The rest of the book consists of writing advice that's so crushingly obvious as to be trite (Three Act Structure -- it's gonna be BIG folks!) delivered in an irritatingly glib manner. It
Alex Harrow
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Great productivity boost!

I'm not a huge fan of books on writing because honestly, I don't believe you can learn how to write from books on writing; you learn how to write from writing. That said, this book was awesome and exactly what I needed to read because I had successfully blocked myself from doing just that: writing. No, I don't have aspirations of writing 10k a day, but this isn't what this book is about. It's about how to boost your productivity by knowing what you'll be writing, tracki
Setta Jay
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended in Alessandra Torre's writing webinar, "Hit Your Author Goals in 2019." This was such a quick and enjoyable read with gems for new and seasoned authors alike. I believe I found exactly what I need to get my word count higher! I LOVED the positive and uplifting feel. Now to put her tips into practice! ;)

Alessandra's webinar link for any author friends who'd like it: http://events.genndi.com/r/3/0/replay...
Cindy Dees
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Radically changed how I write…and that's after having already completed upwards of 50 manuscripts. Injected a degree of joy back into my writing (and my life as a result) that I wasn't ever expecting to find again. That alone completely made this little book fully worth the read.
Melissa Storm
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book so much I've read it twice! Great tips. I've definitely noticed a huge uptick in my own productivity since moving from pantsing to plotting. Highly recommended for writers of all levels.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

I read this last night to help me get in the NaNoWriMo mood.

It cost me a buck. Money well spent.
Amy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
Super short but one of the most helpful books I've read on writing. Lots of the ideas can be found in other places but this book seems to take the GREAT ideas from about 15 different writing books and combines them into one book and then adds practical examples. Highly recommend.
Caitlyn Lynch
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full title: 2,000 to 10,000: How to Write Faster, Write Better, and Write More of What You Love.

Rachel Aaron is a professional full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. A few years ago, she did some analysis and self-examination of her writing habits and techniques and managed to successfully apply some theories to take her writing from 2,000 words a day to 10,000 words a day.

Rachel first published most of the information in this book as a series of blog posts, and honestly, if all you’re
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is far and away one of the best books I've ever read about writing. Why? Because Aaron breaks down the basics of how she achieved writing 10,000 words per day, how you can, and, most importantly, why she did it. It's not just a numbers game, or even primarily about numbers, but about making the process of writing long form fiction easier by starting out knowing what you plan to write in advance. Her language is easy to follow and she offers practical explanations for every bit of advice, on ...more
Michelle
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are countless books on writing craft but the author’s personality is stamped on every page of this little gem of a book. Rachel Aaron’s enthusiasm shines through and seems to define her writing voice, along with a sprinkle of humor...which was really appealing.
This book is not really about speed but more about how to use the time you have to increase your word count.
She has a practical, straightforward, easy-to-apply approach and doesn’t come across as a know-it-all. We are reminded that
E. Writes
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a stellar book which every writer who actually wants to produce their dreams of fiction should absolutely 100% read.

And then implement.

What Rachel says about passion, how to tap into it, how to channel it.... all theses things are spot on. I've been inspired by her sentiments on the subject to write more bravely, boldly and with less "hedging of bets" and I've become infinitely more pleased with myself as a writer and the results of said writing.
She is a gem of an author, and I am s
Lila Hunter
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't think the title does justice to the content of this book. More than a guide on how to increase your numbers, it's an outline on how to approach writing a new book, how to set up the characters, issues, settings, etc., and how to edit everything at the end. The reader can do the first part of the book without having a concrete idea of their next story, and the end part can be applied when the first draft is completed.

I can't say, yet, if my word count would increase, but I'm sure my plott
Kristin Spencer
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hate that I've said the words "must-read" so many times already this year... so I'll just say I wish I had read this book three years ago. It would have saved me from reading the other 5 books that this one book sums up. Though everything was wonderful, this idea is what impacted me most: Don't write scenes you don't love. Don't delete scenes/ideas you love because you think they won't sell.

Write what you love.

Also, editing is hard, but it gets easier--I've found this to be totally true. Thank
C.L. Cannon
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty informative guide to speeding up your progress, and while I did pick up a few tips, I feel this is mostly for plotters. I am a pantser and it seems no matter what I try I cannot change this! If you're a plotter, this is a great book for you!
Kate Swed
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-books
A good, bite-sized craft book on improving productivity. Lots of practical solutions I'm excited to try!
Kimberly Sabatini
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-of-writing
So glad this one was recommended to me. I can't wait to implement Aaron's suggestions in my own writing.
Tonya Burrows
Hated the music between chapters. So. bad. I did find a few good tips in the book. No earth-shattering revelations, though.
stormin
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The critical context you need to have before reading this review is the reading order for this book and the Rachel Aaron novels I've read so far. It goes like this.

First, I read Nice Dragons Finish Last and I was super-impressed. Great book, and similar enough to some of my own ideas that it made me nervous and intimidated at parts.

Second, I liked that book so much that I read this one (2K to 10K).

Third--before writing this review--I read the rest of the Heartstriker series and gave the last thr
Alma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Do you want to write more every day without increasing the time you spend writing or sacrificing quality? It's not impossible[...].

Yes it is.

If you don't believe it, go read Last Dragon Standing, Heartstrikers 5. Heartstrikers is a really successful series of 5 books where the first one is excellent and the last one is terrible. Sure, it has a high rating but is that everything that defines a book? I don't think so.

In 10k a day, the author makes some excellent points. You should plan
Goodreads Librari...: page count on Amazon 2 17 Sep 13, 2018 11:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: cover on Amazon 2 11 Sep 09, 2018 02:16PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: 2k to 10k by Rachel Bach 3 74 Apr 01, 2015 08:16PM

• 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline
  • Productivity For Authors: Find Time to Write, Organize your Author Life, and Decide what Really Matters (Books for Writers Book 10)
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Rapid Release: How to Write & Publish Fast For Profit
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more

News & Interviews

“Putting my book down should be the hardest thing my reader has to do that day. Authorship is a merciless business!” 3 likes
“Never put a scene you don't love in your book.” 3 likes