Start by marking “2,000 to 10,000: How to Write Faster, Write Better, and Write More of What You Love” as Want to Read:

"Have you ever wanted to double your daily word counts? Do you sometimes feel like you're crawling through your story? Do you want to write more every day without increasing the time you spend writing or sacrificing quality? It's not impossible, it's not even that hard. This is the book explaining how, with a few simple changes, I boosted my daily writing from 2000 words t ...more
Published October 7th 2012

Dannii Elle
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite measuring in at under 100 pages this is one of the most inspirational and impactful volumes on writing that I have ever read.

As the title suggests, this focuses on how to increase your daily word count when writing. In actuality it is so much more than that. This does not just focus on merely quantifying your writing but adding to the quality of it, as well. It guides the reader into creating stronger foundations and aids them in making the writing process faster and more free-flowing. I
Rose
Much better than I thought it was going to be, and immensely valuable. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this often, though many of the methods Aaron uses are ones I put into practice as well in my writing endeavors. Review to come soon.
Marguerite Kaye
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a 'how to write' book before. Having written nearly 30 books myself, I thought I didn't need one. Then gradually over the last few of my books, my productivity has slowed, and each one got harder and harder, and the last one, I just about gave up on in despair. I'd come across Rachel Aaron's original blog post ages ago, I'd sort of adopted it then forgotten about it. Then (one of those magical moments) I was considering dumping my book, and I saw Rachel was taking part in an on ...more
Melanie A.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
I liked the author's practical, no-nonsense approach.

I've decided to take a quote from the book and make it my daily affirmation:
I'm not a temperamental artist enslaved to the whims of her muse.
In other words: Get your ass in gear. :-) Hopefully it takes.
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of writing books over the last fifteen years, from the inspirational anyone-can-write fare to the daunting slush-pile-avoidance and plot-doctoring books that operate on the assumption that I already have a complete manuscript. I don't, because I basically have not figured out how to get my shit together.

Finally, I think this might be the book that helps me get my shit together. Writing processes are highly individual (and Rachel Aaron acknowledges that!), but there's so much here
Cristian
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
This little book has a huge ambition. The first part provides a system formed of a few hacks on how to radically increase your writing productivity. In the second part, the author describes how she writes her own books, dealing with the character, plot, settings and editing.

The essence of how to get faster, described in the first part can be summarized easily: Know what you are writing about, choose the best time for writing and write with enthusiasm. All these elements seem obvious, but we ofte
Robert Krenzel
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
There is nothing really new in this book, but that doesn't mean it isn't with a read.

It's like this: some years ago I was a seasoned Army captain working with officer candidates. The candidates were about to do a night map & compass test, and I decided to try my hand to show my skills were still sharp. We were issued our maps and tests, the sergeant said "Go!" And most of the guys and gals plunged into the bushes to find their first points. The old guy, me (I was 31ish), sat down on a rock
Jane
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-writing
I think I need to read this over again because I read it while prepping for an international move and finishing off a novel, and it basically went in one ear and out the other.

There was a point at which writing fast and hitting huge word counts per day was a Big Effing Deal in the writer world, and I guess Aaron was one of the gurus of this movement. Lately, though, I haven't been hearing much about writing fast, probably because the proponents of this method have burned out. And most people who
Poppy Williams
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Game Changer

I purchased this book based on a recommendation. And now, after the results I've seen, I definitely need to send that person flowers!

I'll admit when I first saw the title, it made me think of all those crazy diet claims you see. Like - "Lose 50 pounds in one week!" But I can assure you, this is no joke. This is the real deal.

After reading through the book, I immediately put Rachel's techniques into action. After just three days I've seen pretty amazing results. My daily word count ha
Coral Carracedo
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Me encantan estos ebooks porque son como morale boost que necesito. Este corto ebook es una pequeña joyita para esos días en los que dudas o no tienes ni idea de que estás haciendo.
La autora lo ha llamado de 2k a 10k. No sé si llegaré a tanto pero seguro que aumento mi producción si sigo sus consejos.
¿Son consejos super innovadores? Pues oye, no. Pero aquí cada uno viene de su casa y hace lo que quiere y cree que le funciona y no. También podría llamar a este ebook: De brújula a mapa + un poquit
Rebekah Morris
I had read Rachel's blog post about how she went from writing 2k words a day to 10k, some time ago and decided I should try her book.
One thing I liked was that she tells you right from the start that there is no RIGHT way to write. Everyone is different, and the things that work for one person, might not work for another. That is so true, but it seems that many authors have either forgotten that, or choose to ignore it.
The first part of the book told the story of how she went from 2k to 10k, and
Olivia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has some great tips, and offers an interesting approach to writing faster. Perhaps I'm finally ready to put it into practice and spend less time procrastinating.

Recommended to anyone who sits in front of a document a lot, trying to write words. (Emphasis on trying.) Valuable advice!
Alex Harrow
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Great productivity boost!

I'm not a huge fan of books on writing because honestly, I don't believe you can learn how to write from books on writing; you learn how to write from writing. That said, this book was awesome and exactly what I needed to read because I had successfully blocked myself from doing just that: writing. No, I don't have aspirations of writing 10k a day, but this isn't what this book is about. It's about how to boost your productivity by knowing what you'll be writing, tracki
Rocío Vega
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Conciso, corto y con un tono muy cercano. No sé si mi brujulería innata podrá soportar tanta preparación previa, pero ofrece consejos muy buenos que pretendo llevar a cabo. A ver cómo sale.

Relectura: La primera mitad es para enmarcar. Estupendo para darte un chute de energía cuando andas baja. Y Goodreads dice que hace casi un año justo de la primera lectura, juas.
Melissa Storm
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book so much I've read it twice! Great tips. I've definitely noticed a huge uptick in my own productivity since moving from pantsing to plotting. Highly recommended for writers of all levels.
Cindy Dees
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Radically changed how I write…and that's after having already completed upwards of 50 manuscripts. Injected a degree of joy back into my writing (and my life as a result) that I wasn't ever expecting to find again. That alone completely made this little book fully worth the read.
GrilledCheeseSamurai

I read this last night to help me get in the NaNoWriMo mood.

It cost me a buck. Money well spent.
Amy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
Super short but one of the most helpful books I've read on writing. Lots of the ideas can be found in other places but this book seems to take the GREAT ideas from about 15 different writing books and combines them into one book and then adds practical examples. Highly recommend.
Setta Jay
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended in Alessandra Torre's writing webinar, "Hit Your Author Goals in 2019." This was such a quick and enjoyable read with gems for new and seasoned authors alike. I believe I found exactly what I need to get my word count higher! I LOVED the positive and uplifting feel. Now to put her tips into practice! ;)

Alessandra's webinar link for any author friends who'd like it: http://events.genndi.com/r/3/0/replay...
D. Jason
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing, for the most part. Rachel Aaron's advice is basically to be a heavy planner (as opposed to a "pantser", that is, a "write by the seat of your pants" style writer). If you plan out every chapter and every scene before you actually start "writing", you see, the writing goes quicker.

Stop the presses.

The rest of the book consists of writing advice that's so crushingly obvious as to be trite (Three Act Structure -- it's gonna be BIG folks!) delivered in an irritatingly glib manner. It
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is far and away one of the best books I've ever read about writing. Why? Because Aaron breaks down the basics of how she achieved writing 10,000 words per day, how you can, and, most importantly, why she did it. It's not just a numbers game, or even primarily about numbers, but about making the process of writing long form fiction easier by starting out knowing what you plan to write in advance. Her language is easy to follow and she offers practical explanations for every bit of advice, on ...more
E. Writes
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a stellar book which every writer who actually wants to produce their dreams of fiction should absolutely 100% read.

And then implement.

What Rachel says about passion, how to tap into it, how to channel it.... all theses things are spot on. I've been inspired by her sentiments on the subject to write more bravely, boldly and with less "hedging of bets" and I've become infinitely more pleased with myself as a writer and the results of said writing.
She is a gem of an author, and I am s
Lila Hunter
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't think the title does justice to the content of this book. More than a guide on how to increase your numbers, it's an outline on how to approach writing a new book, how to set up the characters, issues, settings, etc., and how to edit everything at the end. The reader can do the first part of the book without having a concrete idea of their next story, and the end part can be applied when the first draft is completed.

I can't say, yet, if my word count would increase, but I'm sure my plott
Kristin Spencer
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hate that I've said the words "must-read" so many times already this year... so I'll just say I wish I had read this book three years ago. It would have saved me from reading the other 5 books that this one book sums up. Though everything was wonderful, this idea is what impacted me most: Don't write scenes you don't love. Don't delete scenes/ideas you love because you think they won't sell.

Write what you love.

Also, editing is hard, but it gets easier--I've found this to be totally true. Thank
Eduardo Norte
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Una lectura bastante interesante para los días de antes del NaNoWriMo. El método de Rachel Aaron es muy práctico, para tomar nota, y todo un ejemplo a seguir.

Descubrí a Aaron en un podcast de Joanna Penn y me sorprendió por su entusiasmo al hablar. Me entraron de ganas de sentarme a escribir en cuanto llegase a casa y de comprarle todos sus libros. Ese mismo entusiasmo se transmite también al escribir.

He aprendido muchas cosas de esta lectura. Recomendado a todos los escritores/as, pero especi
Kate Swed
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-books
A good, bite-sized craft book on improving productivity. Lots of practical solutions I'm excited to try!
Nathaniel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The critical context you need to have before reading this review is the reading order for this book and the Rachel Aaron novels I've read so far. It goes like this.

First, I read Nice Dragons Finish Last and I was super-impressed. Great book, and similar enough to some of my own ideas that it made me nervous and intimidated at parts.

Second, I liked that book so much that I read this one (2K to 10K).

Third--before writing this review--I read the rest of the Heartstriker series and gave the last thr
Anna
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd heard a few people recommend this book, but, to be honest, I think I write quite fast enough. I decided to keep track of my time on my last book and discovered that while writing my first draft (which also involves editing each chapter once for flow), I write about 933 words per hour. So why write faster?

But after reading Rachel Aaron's excellent fiction and noticing a plug for this book in the back (then seeing the title was eligible for free borrowing through Kindle Unlimited), I decided t
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-spirit
My first read by Rachel Aaron and I LOVE her writing voice. Just love it. It's obvious from the first page that this is not written by a random blogger but by a true writer.

The only reason I am giving it 4 stars is because of the numerous, numerous grammar and punctuation errors that were overlooked. I could have done with a couple but I expected a truly polished book from a novelist, and it actually brings up one point. I love every concept that Rachel covered in taking your writing to the next
Iola
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, writing-advice
The full title of this short instruction book is 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love. In it, novelist Rachel Aaron describes the three simple steps she took to take her writing from 2,000 to 10,000 words a day (bearing in mind that she’s a full-time novelist, and that not all days will have this level of productivity … especially for those who can’t dedicate that amount of time to their writing because of family or work responsibilities).

That’s Part I. Aa
Goodreads Librari...: page count on Amazon 2 17 Sep 13, 2018 11:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: cover on Amazon 2 11 Sep 09, 2018 02:16PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: 2k to 10k by Rachel Bach 3 73 Apr 01, 2015 08:16PM
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • 500 Ways to Be a Better Writer
  • Let's Get Digital: How to Self-Publish, and Why You Should
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Mugging the Muse
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more
“Even if you’re not selling your stories yet, your writing time is precious, often gained at the expense of other worthwhile activities. Don’t waste it on a book you don’t love.” 3 likes
“A book is not a battle, nor is it a conquest. A book is a story, and telling it should be an enjoyable exercise.” 3 likes