Start by marking “The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris” as Want to Read:
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  8,462 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews
Life is sweet in this heartwarming tale of a little chocolate shop in Paris, by the bestselling author of Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams and Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe.

Mouth-watering recipes inside!

As dawn breaks over the Pont Neuf, and the cobbled alleyways of Paris come to life, Anna Trent is already awake and at work; mixing and stirring the fi
Published March 14th 2013 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

·  8,462 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews

Start your review of The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
First, let me not forget to note there are recipes in here. YUM. Anna Trent is a new chocolatier in of one the finest artisanal chocolate shops in Paris. She serves some of the wealthiest women in the city. She’s learning about chocolate AND herself in the process. Paris comes to life in this book, as does the skill involved in chocolate making. There was depth to the story and also some clever humor. Overall, The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is a warmhearted story of second chances and fri ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I was asked to read this lovely book by the publisher, as a new cover design is coming out this summer! This was my first time reading Jenny Colgan and I have been wanting to for awhile! This book was very enjoyable, light, and would make a perfect summer read. I loved visiting Paris! The author did such a great job describing Paris, and all the talk of chocolate made me want to run out and get some lol! I laughed at times, and also felt like the story actually had depth. I can't wait to read mo ...more
Diana
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful romantic comedy.

I enjoyed spending some time in Paris with Anna, Claire, Laurent and the others. If Jenny Colgan ever decides to revisit these characters in a future book, I would definitely join in.

I love when a book includes recipes but unfortunately, my library only had the audiobook available so I was not able to view them. I will be on the lookout for the ebook or paper version in the future.
Carolyn
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the story of two women who fall in love with Paris and were never the same again. Anna Trent has had a horrific accident in the chocolate factory where she works and after recovering in hospital is jobless and depressed. While in hospital, her old French teacher, Claire Shawcross was moved into the bed next to her while undergoing chemotherapy. Both are bored with being confined to a hospital bed so to help pass the time Anna practices her French with Claire who gently corrects her and e ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This one missed the mark for me. At times, I did somewhat enjoy reading it but there was some integral things within the story that hit a nerve.

First, I will mention what I did like about the story. I liked how there were many different stories being told within this novel. There were the individual stories of both Claire and Anna occurring in parallel, but there was also the story of Claire as an adolescent being told. I liked the settings and I liked the descriptive writing that wa
Mellie Antoinette
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
***#earc thanks to #NetGalley for a fair review***

Jenny Colgan is hot stuff right now. Headed for a gorgeous cover update, Colgan’s The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is vintage Jenny doing ... well, what she does best - feel good, comfort reads with a warm twist of sunshine happy endings. And I have to say, I love her for it!

Anna Trent has lost her toes. Well, two of them at least in a freak chocolate accident that even she can’t explain (and she doesn’t cause I still
Holly
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is delightful and engaging. It transported me to France with its vivid portrayal of the City of Lights and had me craving chocolate with such rich descriptions that I could almost taste it!

We first meet our protagonist, thirty-one year old Anna at the chocolate factory, where she has just had a serious accident. The first sentence drew me right in and I was hooked.

“The really weird thing about it was that although I knew instantly that something
Lisa Leone-campbell
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan is a beautifully written, tender love story that intertwines two women, Anna, who has her whole life ahead of her, and Claire, whose life is ending. It is the story of deep love, regret, and strength. But it is also very funny and expertly written with scenes of Paris which makes the city come to life in the reader's mind.

Anna Trent worked in a chocolate factory in England. She thought this is where she would be for the rest of he
Lisa Leone-campbell
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

Rebecca
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have only recently become acquainted with Jenny Colgan's books, but have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book once I found out about it. I was also drawn to the book, because it centres around two of my very favourite things: chocolate, and the city of Paris.

The story regularly changes narratives, from Anna, who works in a chocolate factory at her hometown Kidinsborough, and Claire, Anna's former French teacher. After years have passed since school, the two come across ea
Linden
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna, from a small, rather dull village in Britain, has just been in the hospital. There, she encounters a former teacher, Claire, who helps her get a job in Paris. Anna is later able to return Claire's kindness in an unexpected way. The book alternates chapters between Claire's summer in Paris 40 years ago and Anna's current experiences, and we get a feel for how living in Paris changes these two young English women. There are recipes at the end, and I confess that I did feel like eating chocol ...more
Carolyn
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan is a delightful read!

Life really is sweet with Jenny Colgan.

This is one cute and delightful Chocolate Story set in Paris at Le Chapeau Chocolat.

It's about tasting chocolate and cooking and moulding it to perfection. If you don't succeed at first try again!

Try out first with subtle combinations such as mint or orange and as you get more practice just experiment and try something new!

It's about tasting the best exquis
Kathryn
This was a light and enjoyable read about a young woman, Anna, who, encouraged by Claire, an older friend, goes to Paris to make a new life for herself. I enjoyed the references to Paris, and could sympathise with some of Anna's initial woes upon arriving in Paris. It is told mainly by Anna, in the first person, but with flashbacks to Claire and the time she spent in Paris as a young au pair almost 40 years ago.

Although it is quite a light book, in terms of subject matter, there are some deeper
Helen Dunn
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Two love stories for the price of one. Sadly, they both needed more development for me to really care about them. The story from the 70s was the better, more touching one and it’s repercussions in the modern era were also interesting. The modern love story was just forced and didn’t have nearly enough support to make it believable. The whole book had a weird split personality where it couldn’t decide if it wanted to be super serious or quirky and funny.

Dawn Michelle
I didn't like this book when it started - I found Anna to be whiny and obnoxious and almost quit the book. And then, slowly [as Anna is in Paris and is learning her way], surely, I started liking the book AND Anna [she, when put to the test, puts the whine away and shows up and has GUMPTION] and the book just grew on me and I ended up enjoying it more than I initially thought I would.
Kathryn
4.5 stars.Up until now I have never really felt the desire to visit Paris. Yes I know of readers who adore Paris, but I have always been happy to sit back happily in my own chair. What Jenny Colgan manages to achieve in her book The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris, is to have me totally in love with the sights and sounds, food and... chocolate of Paris. She makes me want to experience it for myself.

I absolutely loved this book. It made me chuckle out loud, as well it had me feeling
Gail
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started very slowly for me. I was thinking here we go again with my bargain books on Kindle! Once the main character arrived in Paris, the book took off. I loved reading about chocolate making in Paris and the love stories were sweet. Pun intended!
Lucy Burdette
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot of novels set in Paris--the unhappy woman goes to the city of light and finds meaning for her life and often love. This one's just lovely--good character development, two women in two separate times of life seeking something more. And great chocolate. It's just lovely!
Rebecca Reviews
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jenny Colgan’s The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is a fun and bittersweet read about love, friendship, and chocolate that will have you yearning for a lifechanging Parisian adventure. This is an easy read with a gorgeous setting and likeable characters but I wish the plot was slightly stronger and that Anna’s romance was more developed.

Anna is a supervisor in a chocolate factory in England until a terrible accident costs her some toes and her job. However, a renewed friendship with he
Mystica
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

I've been to Paris just once. I want to go again. What Colgan does is that she makes me want to now. Just up and go because there seems to be a myriad things I've not experienced.

Anna lives a humdrum life. In her little world, to her family and friends she has it all. Tight knit family, few friends, nights out at the local, blokes interested in her. Till a freak accident makes her ill, despondent and depressed and her former French teacherdecides to step in and send her for a kind of
Deb
This wasn't my favorite of the Jenny Colgan books I've read, it took me longer to get into the story & it's a bit sadder than most of the others, but it's still a sweet & light read that will make you *need* to eat chocolate from her descriptions.🍫
Leona
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
Five glorious stars.
Gail
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I adore the Cupcake books so was delighted to see Jenny had written this.

It starts off terrifically with Anna having an accident in the chocolate factory where she works. Whilst in hospital she meets her old schoolteacher, Claire Shawcross, and they strike up a wonderful friendship.

The story jumps between Claire's story in 1972, and Anna's in the present day. Claire sends Anna to Paris, where she had been in 1972, for her to convalesce and try and regain some confidence a
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
I’ve been a fan of Jenny Colgan’s work since I read Christmas at the Cupcake Café last year. It was a novel full of charm, a passion for food and baking and had stacks of Christmas whimsy. This year I followed up with Meet Me at The Cupcake Café to see where Issy’s story began and Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams which had me sobbing and crying for days. I have really come to enjoy Colgan’s charming and pleasant style of writing, and the real homey feeling of her worlds and her characters.

For me,
Jypsy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris is another delightful work by Jenny Colgan. It's a charming and heart warming story about having second chances. The Paris atmosphere and descriptions were beautifully written, and I wished I were there. This story will make you smile and fill you with hope. Quite lovely read! Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Marina
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original review is posted on Chick Library Cat Book Blog:

Jenny Colgan did it again. When I read her books, my mouth is literary watering. All those cakes and cookies and chocolates. And Paris, the most romantic city in the world. What's not to love there?

Anna Trent works in a chocolate factory. When I hear the words chocolate factory, in the very
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another delicious offering from Jenny Colgan! First there were cupcakes, then there were sweets, then Christmas cupcakes, and finally, the ultimate-chocolate! I was eagerly awaiting this chocolate novel, and even the cover in a gorgeous Cadbury purple is just as delicious as I hoped it would be. When we first meet main character Anna, the reader feels immediately drawn to her. She is entirely identifiable, and feels as though she could actually be you or me. Still in the town she grew up in, wor ...more
Rea Cobb
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story alternates between the past with Claire’s stay in Paris to the present with Anna’s adventures in Paris. Anna has been working in a chocolate factory so when she has an accident that leaves her a little lost in direction until her old French School Teacher Claire arranges for her to have a taster at working with a chocolatier friend of hers in Paris.

The amount of research that must have gone into this book shines through from the picturesque setting of Paris to the mouth-wat
Hannah Fielding
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
No prizes for guessing why I picked up this novel! Romance + chocolate + Parisian backdrop sounds like a recipe for a good love story to me.

I very much like the book’s setting, and think the author encapsulates the Parisian well - though I’d have loved more description of this most romantic of settings, and perhaps a little more exploration of French characters beyond the stereotypical brusque ones.

The chocolatier element of the plot is delightful - really evocative and fascin
Farhana  Zukri
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Craving for chocolates while reading this book was unavoidable. From the machine-made chocolate to handmade chocolate, I would think of my favourite dark chocolate. Anna was certainly having the best time of her life when she got a job in Paris, while questioning her perspective of her job, family, love and her life at Kidinsborough. I was intrigued to know the depth of Thierry and Claire's romance 40 years ago. A good read but beware with the lots and lots of mention of chocolates in this book.

• The Book Charmer
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • A Gingerbread Romance
  • Death of a Gigolo (A Jaine Austen Mystery)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • Pride, Prejudice and Poison (A Jane Austen Society Mystery, #1)
  • Christmas Sweets (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
  • Fiddling with Fate (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #10)
  • Last Pen Standing (Stationery Shop Mystery #1)
  • Coached to Death (The Life Coach Mysteries #1)
  • The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice
  • Molten Mud Murder
  • Japodinine muke
  • Carpet Diem (A Tallie Graver Mystery #4)
  • A Down Home Christmas
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more
“This is what you British do not understand about the French. You think you must work, work, work, work and open on Sundays and make mothers and fathers with families slave in supermarkets at three o'clock in the morning and make people leave their homes and their churches and their children and go shopping on Sundays.'
'Their shops are open on Sundays?' said Benoît in surprise.
'Yes! They make people work on Sundays! And through lunchtimes! But for what? For rubbish from China? For cheap clothes sewed by poor women in Malaysia? For why? So you can go more often to KFC and get full of fried chicken? You would rather have six bars of bad chocolate than one bar of good chocolate. Why? Why are six bad things better than one good thing? I don't understand.”
16 likes
“. . . when people dedicate their lives to one thing that they really, really love and learn a lot about, amazing things can happen.” 1 likes