Start by marking “Goblin Fruit” as Want to Read:
Goblin Fruit

Goblin Fruit

From the author of the astounding must-read novel Daughter of Smoke and Bone, comes a vividly imaginative short story, Goblin Fruit (from the award-winning short story collection Lips Touch: Three Times).

Published October 25th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Fruit, please sign up.
Tigress (Warrior Elf) Yes. I feel like this answer should be longer for some reason, so I'd also like to add that another good YA retelling of Goblin Market is Wintersong…moreYes. I feel like this answer should be longer for some reason, so I'd also like to add that another good YA retelling of Goblin Market is Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. (less)

Becky Protopsaltis
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I don't really know where to start with this story (novella? Not really sure what to call it). I came across it after reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and Days of Blood and Starlight, both of which I adored. The first thing to say is that Goblin Fruit is the only thing I have read on my kindle that I have actually highlighted parts of, so that I can go back and read them instantly whenever I want. I read a lot, and often don't take the time to appreciate the craft thats gone into creating a
Armina

I wonder why I haven't read this earlier! I am in awe of Laini Taylor. Again! Beautiful words, gorgeous writing, enchanting, alluring, slightly disturbing, but wonderful story.

Dark and dazzling, it reaches out and yanks us into its world from the very beginning. It's about a girl named Kizzy. And a kiss. Her first kiss! Kizzy is a frustrated girl who doesn't fit into high school with its beautiful normal people. But then a handsome stranger appears. He could change everything in a hear
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

I am quickly falling in love with Laini Taylor's writing.

Despite being so short, this story packs a punch with its depth and what is explored between the pages. I loved this retelling.

This was very disturbing and the writing was hauntingly beautiful. I loved Kizzy's naivety and how there were quite chilling consequences to her actions.
Tanya Tate
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm currently reading Lips Touch were all three short stories are together but I want to rate them by themselves.
3.5 Stars
This one pretty good but it lacked something which I can't put my name on it. The writing was gorgeous and it was funny. .
Eunice Moral
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never trust a cute guy! Hahah
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
"A Goblin Had Her Soul On The End Of A Fishing Line, Ready To Reel It In."

A dark, treacherous story I absolutely should have read in the daylight. Laini Taylor does it again with her twisted, eerie story lines which make all your hairs stand on end on the back of your neck; as if the ghosts are whispering in your ear about the monsters in your vicinity waiting to creep up on you.

This short story tells the tale of how one kiss from a Goblin could be your last. I love the explanation of how Gobli
Mila
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite story of the three re-told fairytales in Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor.

I simply adore Laini Taylor's writing and savor her words, kinda like eating the best chocolate in the world. Speaking of chocolate here's an excerpt: "It was so dark, it was almost black and it melted on her tongue into an ancient flavor of seed pod, earth, shade, and sunlight, its bitterness casting just a shadow of sweet. It tasted ... fine, so subtle and strange it made her feel like a novitiate into some arcanum of spice."
Drishi
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad.

I loved the writing style.
Siobhan
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found Lips Touch at a crazy cheap price and jumped on the short story collection, desperate to get my fill of Laini Taylor’s beautiful work. Goblin Fruit is the first short story of the three in the collection, and if I’m honest it’s my favourite of the three even if it’s the shortest.

As you would expect from Laini Taylor, even though it’s a short story, we’re quickly thrown into some wonderful world building with her lyrical prose bringing her amazing imagination to life in no time at all. I’
Lara
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I feel kind of bad for only giving this two stars because it wasn't that I disliked it, but it didn't leave me thinking "WOW!". When I read a short story I want it to hit me in the face. I want to really be left thinking about it for hours. You know what I mean? I want it to be memorable. And this one just didn't do it for me. I liked it, but it felt flat. There was no climax.

I still love Laini Taylor's writing though and will definitely continue reading the rest of the n
Cat
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5
wonderfully creepy and atmosperic but I couldn't stand the main character
Amy
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I got this cause I love Laini Taylor's Daughter of smoke of bone series but I really didn't enjoy it much.
BlebeTanja
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The opening paragraphs - ah, how capturing and intriguing!
Cyril Acosta
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Every Laini Taylor work is pure perfection.
Devon
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Synopsis:
Kizzy wanted it all so bad her soul leaned half out of her body hungering after it, and that was what drove the goblins wild, her soul hanging out there like an un-tucked shirt.
Beware of souls that want too much.
Kizzy's family are from the Old Country. They cut the heads off chickens, have anvils in their yard and sing songs in a language that her teachers have never heard of. They believe in talking foxes, witch soldiers and goblins who crave the souls of a particular type of girl. G
Aliyah (Jennifer)
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think that I might give up on reading anything by Laini Taylor all together. With almost every single one of her books or short stories I've read so far, the beginning is always great, but the entire story is ruined as soon as the male character steps into the story (who tends to be a rather obvious love interest).

In this short story, we're introduced to the character and we're given a pretty extensive background on her, a bunch of flashbacks, ect., which needless to say, is boring. We get it
Christina Bandiera

3.5 Stars

Loved the grandmother, and if I could rate her on her own I'd give her a solid 5*. Everything else was a bit meh, sadly, and a little problematic at times. I have heard this is the weakest of the short stories though, and perhaps part of my disappointment comes from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series setting the bar so high. Laini Taylor's beautiful writing style was as on point as usual however!
♨ Bibliyowhan ↭ Mother of Books ζ
One star for the humor and another for Taylor's writing style which was really effective in compelling me to read more even if Kizzy's character didn't impress me that much. But since she's a dreamer with so much want, I think I can forgive her (a little) for going out with someone she just met. *sigh* She's just not my kind of heroine.

Currently reading: Lips Touch: Three Times, rating this as a standalone.
Grace Eleanor
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A tantalisingly sweet short story/novella and I need moreeee!

My first Laini Taylor read and it was delicious!
Erika
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So fucking amazing. I have so much love for Laini.
nadia

This novella, though beautifully written, did nothing for me. I'm still interested to check out more of Laini Taylor's novels though.
Bridget
The story has gorgeous writing, but not a lot happens in it.
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars
Tintin Papi
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kizzy is basically me. Idk if that's a good thing though....
Anastasia Lewis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was NOT expecting that ending.
Artemis
I wish this was longer because i really enjoyed and i'm in love with Laini's writing.
Daisy
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice novella - nice seems like the wrong word to use, but I'm using it anyway. I actually took forever to read it, because I was reading a lot of other really good main books, but actually when I did read it, it was very easy to slip back into the story.

Goblin Fruit is set in the same world as Laini Taylor's bestselling Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It tells of how Kizzy, having grown up in a family famous for their superstitious beliefs in ghosts and goblins etc, yearns for the
colorwalk
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mixed-feelings
+ Rich and interesting worldbuilding

There were many little intriguing details dropped about Kizzy's family and their customs that made me wish I could read a full-length novel that takes place in this world. For such a short piece, I didn't really expect the world to come alive to this extent. It's my favorite part of Goblin Fruit and, at times, the main/only thing that kept my interest while reading the story. It's also what nudged a 2-star rating to a 3 for me.

+/- Solid characterization that g
Chrissie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Read as part of the collection in Lips Touch: Three Times.

Laini Taylor delivers with these three short stories, proving to be an author I will follow for years to come. Each story centers around a kiss (hence the title), and each totes its own supernatural world with the amazing characterizations and exquisite writing I have come to expect from Taylor.

Goblin Fruit, the first story of the set, features a modern girl whose family still believes in the Old World ways. Kizzy, the teenaged narrator,
Andrew
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Kizzy wants it all. To look prettier. To be girlfriend of the hot guy in school. To not be involved in her weird family. She wants it all so badly, half her soul is hanging out of her. And this drives goblins crazy. They feed on souls and they want Kizzy's if she's not careful...

Laini's writing style is different in Goblin Fruit compared to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Yes, I know it's because she wrote Goblin Fruit before she wrote Daughter of Smoke and Bone as I
  • The Snow Queen
  • Songs of Love Lost and Found
  • Villere House (Blood of My Blood #1)
  • The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2)
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Languish (Haunting Violet #1.5)
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • Among the Thorns
  • Bad Ass Faeries
  • Totally Tubular
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #7)
  • Except the Queen
  • Dark Curtains
  • By These Ten Bones
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • The Hidden City (Philip José Farmer's The Dungeon, #5)
  • Cornered: 14 Stories of Bullying and Defiance
  • An Earthly Knight
Hi! I write fantasy books. My latest is STRANGE THE DREAMER, about a young librarian, a mythic lost city, and the half-human children of murdered gods. Check it out :-) Before that I wrote the DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. It's about a blue-haired art student raised by monsters, a broken angel, and a war that has raged for 1000 years in another ...more