Start by marking “Monstergarten” as Want to Read:
Monstergarten

Monstergarten

Patrick is worried about his first day of monstergarten. Everyone knows you have to beSCARY in monstergarten. Patrick’s friend, Kevin, offers to show Patrick how to be scary – they roar, they sneak up on people, they bare their teeth. But Patrick still isn’t ready. His parents tell him to just be himself. But what if he’s not scary ENOUGH? ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Monstergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstergarten

Start your review of Monstergarten
Sharon Lawler
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
YA's have zombies, 'tweens have ghosts and wizards, but the little guys love their monsters, and this book will be a popular addition to stories about the first day of school jitters.
Rachel Hilton
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Monstergarten is a fun and enjoyable book that can be read aloud to any kindergarten or first grade class. The book focused on a monster working on his scaring ability and getting help from a friend to improve this ability to scare others. The monster finally goes to his first day of "monstergarten" and is called the best scarer. The monster is thrilled, and he wants to keep on scaring. Although this story is an easy read, I feel that some students would be afraid of it because they may be ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This was a fun read. This is a great book for Kindergarten teachers to read on the first day of school, as well as for parents too. The story itself is simple to read and easy for kids to understand, while at the same time they'll be able to relate to Little Monster, Patrick and his friend Kevin. The bright, bold colors in this book will definitely grab a young reader's attention. I think kids will appreciate a story about a cute little monster, whom like them, also has some fears and worries. ...more
Sarah Wiwchar
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know if I can properly rate this book because the person who read it out loud did such a great job!
Karla Winick-Ford
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
funny story of patrick and kevin who are getting ready for their first day of school
Britt, Book Habitue
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. This wanted to be really cute but instead it's convoluted and overly-wordy without actually telling a more complicated/interesting story.
Laurie Law
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story! I have 2 copies and I can't wait to share with my granddaughter!
Kristi Betts
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daniel J. Mahoney has the perfect book for young humans who will be walking through the doors of schools everywhere very soon. Monstergarten is the story of monster friends Kevin and Patrick who are trying to get their scare-on before their first day of Monstergarten (if you can't figure it out, human kiddos will be going to kindergarten - duh moment!). One of the rules of Monstergarten, you have to be scary (according to a first-grader, and everyone knows they are the experts in all things ...more
Abbey Reeser
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mahoney, D. (2013). Monstergarten. New York: Feiwel and Friends.

Illustrations by Jef Kaminsky

Kevin and Patrick are two monsters who are getting ready to start kindergarten. Patrick is worried he is not scary enough for Monstergarten. His friend Kevin who thinks he is an expert at being scary and would help teach his dear friend Patrick to be scary by the time they leave for school in the morning. They practice scaring the cat, Kevin's sister and her friends but they are not successful. They
Memory Kopp
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amy Whitmer
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs642
Monstergarten is the story of a monster who is getting ready to start Monstergarten but is worried he won't be scary enough. After a lot of practice and encouragement from his friend and his parents, he gets to school and finds that he is just fine the way he is.

The illustrations in this book are very bright and colorful. The monsters are mostly bold colors like red, blue, purple, and yellow. The backgrounds are mostly white without much detail so your focus remains on the different monsters.

I
Miss Sarah
a cute take on the first day of school where monsters are getting ready and one is afraid he isn't scary enough. Cute ending. Right toddler and up or definitely one on one and preschool.
Maggie Mattmiller
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
I always hate giving a book 1 star, but as described for Goodreads, that does not mean it is a poor or bad book, it means that I did not like it. And I didn't! For kids scared to go to kindergarten, I don't know that this will help in any way. I like the "Be Yourself" message, but just because that quote is in there once it doesn't mean that the book really pushes that agenda. I think for kids not scared, this might make them nervous. The pictures didn't even do much for me. The way the words ...more
Jackie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute picture book about a frightened, young monster about to start school. He's supposed to be scary, right? What if he isn't scary enough? What if the teacher doesn't like him?

So many fears of young people are portrayed in a monsterly way in Monstergarten. Of course, everything is alright in the end...who doesn't love kindergarten? Bright, colorful, imaginative illustrations on each page.
Barbara
Because he simply isn't scary enough, Patrick worries about the first day of Monstergarten. His friend Kevin tries to help him be more frightening, but nothing works. But it turns out that being himself, scary or not, is exactly what Patrick needs to do. I liked how he ended up helping Kevin, who turns out not to be all that thrilled about the first day of school either. The illustrations are filled with monstrous thrills and will prompt plenty of laughter.
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
I just bought this book for our children's collection at Pine River Library in Bayfield. It is pretty cute. It features two monster friends practicing to be scary enough for Monstergarten. The story is sweet and I think it could help kids cope with anxiety about entering a new school situation. The illustrations are darling.
Elaine
A cute story about a monster who was worried of not being scary enough to start school. Patrick, along with his young monster friend share their ideas, plans and practices. The illustrations are bright and lively and follow the storyline very well. The children enjoyed practicing their roars during preschool story time. Cute and fun.
Alexandria
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a very cute potential premise, but was sadly disappointed. The story didn't make much sense and the ending was pretty lackluster. The art style was cute enough (and the monsters varied enough) that I give it two stars, but I certainly won't be reading it again any time soon.
Cemeread
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
A story about two monsters who think they have to be scary for Monstergarten and how they try to prepare. There is only one page with concerns a child might have about starting school. The illustrations just didn't help the story for me.
Rachel
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is about getting ready for the first day of school. It was totally not what I imagined it would be thus the low rate. Read it again later.
Lisagoegan
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great first day of school book. Addresses fear and expectations: "What if I hate my teacher? What if I have to go to the bathroom?" with humour and silly fun.
Amber
Great booK for first day of school jitters!
Paula
Great story for first day of school jibbers. Patrick thinks he is not scary enough for monstergarten. His friend Kevin helps him get ready.
Emily
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A confusing splash of bright colors, scariness and maybe self-acceptance, but I'm not sure?
Maxwell
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want to read this book aloud to my kindergarten students and have them act it out. Very fun book and lots of suggestive text to have the kids participate.
Amanda Blau
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Two monsters with first day of school worries.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Monsters have first day of school anxiety, had great kid appeal but the story and overall theme seem trite.
Kimberly
Ehhhh...lots of potential but not much payoff. The illustrations are charming though.
Ms Threlkeld
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, detailed illustrations and a fun twist on children's typical first day of school anxiety.
Wendy Kuzma
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: monsters, school
Even monsters get nervous in this cute picture book about the first-day-of-school jitters.

• Neither
  • Otto Grows Down
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • The Strange Case of the Missing Sheep
  • Tugboat Bill and the River Rescue
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library, Don't!
  • Happy Halloween, Daniel Tiger!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Pinkalicious: Fashion Fun
  • Ninja at the Firehouse (Scholastic Reader, Level 1: Moby Shinobi)