Start by marking “Home Sweet Horror” as Want to Read:
Home Sweet Horror

Home Sweet Horror

(Scary Tales #1)

Welcome. Have a seat. Let us tell you a story. But be warned. Home Sweet Horror isn't just any tale. This is a Scary Tale.

Meet Liam Finn, who's just moved into a new home with his father and sister. But this old house that seems empty, isn't . . . Bloody Mary is here. Called back from the dead by a game, she's just dying to talk.
Published July 9th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Home Sweet Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Sweet Horror

Start your review of Home Sweet Horror
Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick, just spooky enough read aimed for young readers. Author James Preller's take on the classic scary story `Bloody Mary' is nicely balanced. When I first looked at this book in the store for my nephew, I thought it was a collection of stories, but it's a very short novel. It will probably take you less than an hour to read it. But that's part of its charm actually. Short and sweet. Additionally, Iacopo Bruno's black and white art suits the mood well.

To summarize, Liam's mom died t
Cameron Chaney
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The story is a little flat with random paranormal happenings that don't really connect. Had they connected, I think this could have been a strong story. But considering this is aimed at early readers, I can't be too picky. It does its job of entertaining and has some fantastic illustrations.

FINAL VERDICT: 3 stars
Rachel's Book Reviews
Bloody Mary scared the crap out of me as a kid.

I read this one pretty fast.
Meh.

I won't be writing an official review, because there really isn't anything to say.
Kidlit horror. That's it.

Karen
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun, scary story. Just perfect for kids or anyone, really.
Raina
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j, didn-t-finish
Read 72/97 pages, and loved the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark creepiness of the illustrations and the general look of the book.

But then, I was reading along, and a new character was introduced, on page 68, who was described as "heavyset." There was a few pages of dialog, and then, in the last two sentences of the chapter, the character leaves the scene as follows:
He saluted them with a grin, pushed off with one foot, rose up stylishly on a pedal, and was gone. Pretty smooth for a big guy.
Pretty smoothguy.Pretty/>He
Charlie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liam shows bravery throughout all of the bad things that happen. even though he is scared, he powers through to the end
amelia Davies
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a brilliant book I was hooked from the start It is about bloody Mary and ghosts if you like Goosebumps you will love this book xx
Laura Salas
I loved this early chapter book--it's a classic ghost story featuring Bloody Mary. Here are 5 of my favorite things about it:

The art is dark and creepy and spectacular!

Even though this is clearly a plot-centric story, there are emotional elements, too, mostly centering on the grief of the loss of Mom two years before.

There’s nice foreshadowing in furnace problems and such that give leeway for various interpretations/explanations, but…

it’s really a
Gwen
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fast read. Liam Finn just moved into a haunted house and Bloody Mary lives in the walls. Will the Finn family survive the mysterious phone calls, noises in the basement, moving letters on the fridge, and their dog, well just...being gone? I liked the book but if you get scared easily, read this in day light.
Ann Keller
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I love the revealing of the spirit leaving messages for the two children. That was awesome.
Beth
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
This is a good introduction to horror for kids. The story is fast and good with just the right amount of creepy. I would have really enjoyed this book as a kid...I still enjoy horror now!
zoë ❅ (fallxnrobin)
The first time I picked this book up was at night. I only had a nightlight on. The first page gave me chills and I went back to reading fanfic. Now I'm reading this in broad daylight and I'm yawning.

The writing felt really awkward to me, like it doesn't flow well. There were so many things in the book that were rushed by or simplified. Bloody Mary is just a nameless young girl who got killed in a hit-and-run incident (refer to How To Write A Back Story In Two Pages Or Less)./>2.5
Carly
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
so i definitely got chills.

a thriller/horror for youngsters this book is. what a good way to introduce children to these awesome genres.

what i liked:
*that there is a second one (because who doesnt like a sequel)
*the creepiness it brings (adreniline rushes from words ... yes please)

what i didnt like:
*it was really short (if it were longer we could get slightly more detailed accounts for the events here)

until next time
~Carly
Jayla
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this Scary book called Home Sweet Horror by James Preller, this boy named Liam and his sister is living with their dad because their mom died. They live in the house the BLOODY MARY lives in and there was message on the mirror that said Mine. Then they had some friends over and they knew that they were going to get in trouble and then Kelly Liam sister said BLOODY MARY 13 times and she was in the mirror. Will they make it out??
Jessica (The Mortal Jessica)
I hung out with my friend today and read this book while I was at her house, it's really short and a little childish but I read it in about 30 minutes. It was a fun little story about a house haunted by none other than Bloody Mary. However, the ending was very stupid and unresolved. It felt like it ended way too quickly and I just really didn't appreciate it. Loved the rest of the story, but hate the ending.
Christy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Welcome. Have a seat. Let us tell you a story. But be warned. Home Sweet Horror isn’t just any tale. This is a Scary Tale.

Meet Liam Finn, who’s just moved into a new home with his father and sister. But this old house that seems empty, isn’t . . . Bloody Mary is here. Called back from the dead by a game, she’s just dying to talk.
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is one in a series of books by James Preller called Scary Tales. These books are good for kids in Grades 3-5 who enjoy the horror genre. They are all short stories. Home Sweet Horror is a chilling, creepy story that I think kids will enjoy. Kids who like Goosebumps will probably like this series as well.
Simone
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Good scary story for 2nd+, and the illustrations are wonderfully creepy.
Leymy
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Great for children who like scary stories.
Rini Rahmayani
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is very great as a beginning to the series
J
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a good quick-read "lite-horror" story for Bloody Mary fans. I read it to my fourth graders are probably scared them too much so stick to 5th grade and above.
Katie Fitzgerald
Home Sweet Horror kicks off a brand-new series of scary stories for chapter book readers. When Liam Finn, his sister, Kelly, and his widower dad relocate to upstate New York, they move into a dilapidated house that Mr. Finn calls a “fixer-upper.” From the very first night in the new house, Liam senses that something is very wrong. After a game of Bloody Mary takes a terrifying turn, only the spirit of Liam's late mother can save the family.

Many kids love to be scared, and one of the
Amy
Sep 30, 2014 added it
Shelves: j-paranormal, 2014
"They say there used to be a lady who lived there, long ago," Marco said. He leaned in, spoke softly. "They say she was crazy, 'dama loca' they called her. She wandered these streets, lost as a little girl, howling at the moon. Anyway, one night, she got nailed by a hit-and-run driver - didn't even slow down to see if she was okay. Which she wasn't, on account of she was dead."

"What was her name?" Kelly asked.

"Bloody Mary, that's all I know," Marco said. "On account of al
Dachokie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kid’s Horror Story with Substance …

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

James Preller’s HOME SWEET HORROR opens the door to a series of scary stories that gives younger kids something to think about when they go to bed at night. Just enough thought-provoking chills to keep them excited when reading, but not too much to drive them into Mom and Dad’s bed every night.

This book centers on a brother
Arnela
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, juvenile, kids
I'd give it a 3.5 but I'm trapped in this full star rating system

First lemme talk about presentation. The dust jacket and interior illustration look like they're done on scratch board. That stark black and whiteness of the imagery can really add to the creepiness of a story if the artwork matches the tone. I just really love the art medium, and plenty of the illustrations were very well matched to the story. I also really love the way they did the cover of the book itself, the stark
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Liam Finn and his dad and sister are moving into a new house, a "fixer-upper" as Mr. Finn calls it. Liam is not thrilled to be moving so soon after his mom died, even if his dad does have a better, higher-paying job here. Liam is especially uneasy about the fact that he seems to be the only one who notices the strange things that happen in their new home. Eerie noises prompt him to check out the basement, only to be scared off by an exploding lightbulb, a broken step, and the grasp of a bony han ...more
Ashley
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! The reason I requested a copy was that it reminded me of my beloved Goosebumps from childhood. Even though I don't read many books in this age range anymore, I really enjoyed it.

The story is set up quickly and packs a punch. Part of what makes this novel so effective are the beautifully creepy illustrations. I absolutely love the drawings, and it is great that the pages without full-page illustrations have the dark, slightly creepy background shading and little things like spi
J.S.
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-elem-mg, vine
After Liam Finn's mother passed away, he moved to a new town with his sister and dad. The old house they buy is old and in need of a lot of repairs but none of the repairmen in town is willing to come out. In fact, the only advice they get from people is that the house is evil. And before long, the house itself seems to be telling them to 'get out.'

This is a very short and easy to read book that uses the "Bloody Mary" story at its center. It's not a collection of tales as I first tho
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Preller, James Home Sweet Horror (A Scary Tales Book) 112 pgs. Feiwel & Friends, 2013. $5.99. Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.

Liam is moving into an old house with his dad and his older sister Kelly. They are trying to have a fresh start after the death of their mother. But this house isn’t very welcoming, with tons of horrible noises, a skeletal hand and more. But when Kelly and her friend stir up things with a Bloody Mary chant to the bathroom m
Ms. Yingling
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Preller, James. Scary Tales: Home Sweet Horror.
Liam and Kelly Finn and their dog Doolian move to a spooky new fixer upper with their dad after their mother’s death. Creepy things happen right away: messages appear in the steam in the bathroom, a handyman warns them the house is evil, voices come through the fans even though they are unplugged, and faces appear in the bathroom mirror. When Kelly and her friends invoke the “bloody Mary” chant, Bloody Mary herself appears and tries to drag Ke
« previous 1 3 next »

• Now Look What You've Done (Timmy Failure, #2)
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • The Collector
  • The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Tom Gates, #1)
  • Excellent Excuses [and Other Good Stuff] (Tom Gates, #2)
  • Genius Ideas [Mostly] (Tom Gates, #4)
  • Everything's Amazing [sort of] (Tom Gates, #3)
  • Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic [at Some Things] (Tom Gates, #5)
  • The Awesome Almost 100% True Adventures of Matt & Craz
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • In the Arms of a Pirate (Sam Steele, #5)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
  • Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)
  • Scary Stories Treasury
  • Zom-B
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)
James Preller (born 1961) is the children's book author of the Jigsaw Jones Mysteries, which are published by Scholastic Corporation. He grew up in Wantagh, New York and went to college in Oneonta, New York. After graduating from college in 1983, James Preller was employed as a waiter for one year before being hired as a copywriter by Scholastic Corporation, where he was introduced (through their ...more

Scary Tales (6 books)