Start by marking “The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics” as Want to Read:
The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics

The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics

The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics is the most imaginative and accessible introductory statistics course you'll ever take. Employing an irresistible cast of dragon-riding Vikings, lizard-throwing giants, and feuding aliens, the renowned illustrator Grady Klein and the award-winning statistician Alan Dabney teach you how to collect reliable data, make confident ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Hill and Wang

Start your review of The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics
Livia Vozaryova
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We don't know everything.... ... But that doesn't mean we know nothing!" ...more
Ami Iida
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
animation of statistics
Hariharan Ragunathan
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Found this book in our library to help my wife enjoy Statistics course she was doing last quarter. I enjoyed the creativity in this book. Grady Klein does a wonderful job with cartoon illustrations for the basic statistics concepts. This book just covers only the basic statistic concept and the idea of hypothesis testing and not delve into details on various tests you would run. But a good book for people with visual learning style to build interest on this topic.
Dien Dang
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book about statistics, easy to understand
Alexander Weber
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What's not to love? It's super introductory, but it makes stats fun and approachable to those who make think "Ewww, stats!"
Rex Libris
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best mathematics-based textbook I have ever encountered. I wish I would have had something along these lines when I was studying math and physics in high school. The illustrations make the concepts clear and easy to understand, and I can't recommend this book enough! If I need to brush up on any more math, I will certainly look for the other books in this series.
Artem Fedorov
A pretty common book about the basic statistic. Too boring, too long descriptions and illustrations are very strange. The book is standing in place, it was possible to explain all the easier and shorter.
Barry Davis
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book had been around when I was in my Master’s program! Using whimsical cartoon characters throughout this exceptional tome, the authors manage to make statistics entertaining and practical for the non-statistician! After making the case that Statistics “are everywhere,” this fun and practical approach to the subject has two major parts:

Part One, Gathering Statistics, demonstrates (literally, with a panoply of cartoons):
Numbers
From
Thom
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not the The Cartoon Guide to Statistics, but an introduction, which it handles well. In the latter chapters, it moves beyond introduction into basic inference and then throws ideas out quickly - the explanations are lacking.

I haven't read Gonick's book, but in this the artwork is rough, at times hard to tell the characters apart. They aren't integral to the main point, but... confusion is not what you want while teaching statistics.

Overall rating - okay, maybe good, not great. A 2 star rating
Alaina Sloo
A humorous graphic introduction to statistics, great for high school and older middle school kids who've reached the age where they need to understand a little more about what the statistics they hear in the news really mean. Also great for high schoolers and adults who just want to understand the basics of statistics.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Well, statistics books seem to be of 1 of 2 polar opposites: ones that are waaay to technical and ones that are waaaay too rudimentary. This one is of the latter kind.
Though it might be suited rather well to young scholchildren.
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
two things we can apply after her this book done are histogram and box plot
I have just realized several trap of data I have ever made before, oh my god
The easy understanding approach helps us learn lots of things new without boring
nice, awesome book
Hạ Phạm Hồ Trúc
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feelings need a different way to approach and apply into Statistics instead of some methods taught in university. Fortunately, I found this book. This kind of picture book whose content are mostly pictures and illustrations obviously does not provide much knowledge in Statistics.

It's quite enough for readers who want to see Statistics in another view style to easily understand the meaning of basic indicators and how they take an important part.

Not directly giving you the definition of any
Louis
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
was what I was expecting, very visual way to the ideas of entry-level statistics. I have a big group of numbers I use on an almost daily basis for mean and medium anyways so this was a great way to see it a bit better and if I can figure out the math maby pull better information out of it. the book presented the idea's and theories really well but I could have done with a little more math.
Jim D'Ambrosia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
It's fine, but if you want a cartoon statistics book, the one by Gonick/Smith is superior.
Christian
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Though it was part of the Larry Gonick "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" series, but got the wrong one. Not as good.
Eman Al-Bedah
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple, funny and smart approach to explaining basic statistics terms and concepts. Highly recommended for those intimidated by statistics or fail to link the basic concepts to math.
Irene
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-review
Too rudimentary and not cat-friendly!
SeaKing
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017, math, owned
Good way to start to know or to have general ideas about statistics in a funny and easy approach.
Picture quality is a little bit low, but the ideas are good.
Adrean Clark
A great, fun introduction to an otherwise boring topic. This book has the same problem of interrupted narration as the other books in the series, making reading through one sitting difficult. It still works well as supplemental resource for one's own education or a classroom setting.
Craig Werner
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cool little book, the title of which describes the contents perfectly. The illustrations are amusing, the writing clear. Klein introduces the fundamental concepts of statistics in a way that won't scare off the mathphobes and will demystify the use of numbers in politics, journalism, etc. It's basically a companion piece to How to Lie with Statistics and a more specific take on aspects of Paulos' A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper.

My only complaint--more a "wish he'd done this too"--is that he
Tracey
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Statistics are scary—in fact, statistics was the only math class I didn’t dare to take in high school. But cartoons are fun!

So an award-winning professor of statistics and a cartoonist have combined forces to provide an in-depth, authoritative, and hilarious introduction to statistics. Grady Klein’s Vikings, giants, and aliens give understandable and funny answers to Alan Dabney’s explanations of concepts like random sampling, standard deviation, calculating probability, making inferences, and
Woflmao
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, science
Sorry, but the drawings are really ugly. Aside from that, this cartoon introduction to statistics is quite well done. It introduces the (very) basic concepts of statistics using small example problems packaged in short cartoon stories, with the aim of understanding how to estimate the mean of a population distribution. The main body of the book avoids using mathematics, which can be looked up in the appendix.
Tung
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about statistic, show me some of the basic feature of statistic in such beautiful and humorous pictures. Although some numbers and pictures are hard-to-see and some parts are too complex to understand for me, this is still good for everyone to read to see what is the action of using the number and feature of the things we got to describe the true number and feature of the whole things.
Robert Hudder
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
So, I work in a research area where I prep data for analysts and statisticians. Sometimes they use short hand and my stats was all high school. I saw this in the library and thought it was time to brush up on the basics.

This one provided a great framework and simple explanation for understanding stats. Recommend to any one wanting to get a grip.
elizabeth
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this after having already taken high school and college level statistics courses, I found it to be a little to "fluffy". However, I think the format would make for a more memorable learning experience. I especially found the summary/index in the back of the book to be helpful. It provided a short list and explanation of some of the basics of statistics and was well explained.
Carrie
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Klein and Dabney do a great job of making the complex topic of statistics understandable and entertaining (I did literally laugh out loud) through comics. I love nonfiction comics and this is a particularly good one.
Diz
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, statistics
This does a good job of taking a really complex topic and making it approachable. It goes as far as basic hypothesis testing, but doesn't get into more complex statistical functions. The humor is really well done. I imagine it must be hilarious if you're really into statistics.
Sinduja
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have understood more from this one book about stats than my entire education. And I am less scared.
Dennis Maloney
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
fun, simple, and thorough intro into statistics. great way for someone interested in stats, wants to use it more, and hasn't in a while to review

• The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume Two: Macroeconomics
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 1: Innocence of Nihilism
  • Automation and Utopia: Human Flourishing in a World without Work
  • Roughneck
  • The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Investors and Managers
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 72 (Naruto, #72)