Start by marking “The Sandman and the War of Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Sandman and the War of Dreams

The Sandman and the War of Dreams

(The Guardians #4)

In their fourth chapter book adventure, the Guardians recruit Sanderson ManSnoozy, the sleepy legend also known as the Sandman, to their cause.

When the Man in the Moon brought together the Guardians, he warned them that they would face some terrible evils as they strove to protect the children of earth. But nothing could have prepared them for this: Pitch has disappeared a
Published November 5th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2013)

Start your review of The Sandman and the War of Dreams
Trish
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series, this time with the quirky and cute Mansnoozie. xD
The lovely drawings the author put into his books (in this as much as the others) make this a little treasure box. And I'm glad that the series isn't over yet and that there are two more books to come. Differnet here as well as in the previous volume is the sort of cliffhanger (not really, more like foreboding) the author put at the end. But that's not a bad thing. I hope the next volume will be about Jack Frost.
A
Kat (Lost in Neverland)

Excuse me, what?

This is what it says on the back of my copy of Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies;

The next chapter in our ongoing saga; Featuring the desperate mission to save Katherine and the appearance of a wayward lad of considerable interest named Jackson Overland Frost.

HOLY SHEET.

After Finishing

Okay, cute story and all, as usual. But my one question is this; where's Jack Frost? He was supposed to at least appear in this one, as it said in the previous book, but there was not ev
Mal
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library

I lied in my last review when I said that Toothiana was the best Guardians book, because this one blew me away. It was written really, incredibly well, and gave me the chills. I have no other way to explain it, really. The Sandman is the most mystical out of them all, even Bunnymund, and he brings a much needed ease to the rambunctious collection of characters. He rivals my love for Toothiana as a guardian, actually. Not to mention, this book finally propelled the never-changing
Mimi
Feb 18, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read, but it felt a bit rushed. We got another glimpse at Pitch's past and it's so heartbreaking, but unfortunately he's lost. Also, Nightlight is finally slowly turning into my favorite character of the whole series, so I'm extra excited to read the final book!

I'm just curious how everything fits together timeline-wise in the end, since I've read the picture book of Jack Frost and watched the movie and it feels a bit... weird? I really don't understand the whole timeline y
Jill
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Rise of the Guardians, those who enjoyed the last books
A beautiful continuation of The Guardians of Childhood series. The introduction and inclusion of Sandman is well done and his backstory is quite incredible. He has (view spoiler). It's also interesting to read Pitch's further fall into darkness and complete irreparability of his corruptness. The further development of Nightlight is amazing a ...more
Miranda Reads
description

If this is going to be anything like the other books - I know I'm going to absolutely LOVE it!!

Fingers crossed!
A. Nixon
I like the slow, subtle way that we're getting the history of characters I didn't even know I was missing (i.e. Nightlight and (view spoiler)). Joyce is a master of bringing us along with these characters and I really enjoyed getting to know more about the Sandman.

The only thing I was mildly disappointed about was that the end of Toothiana's book mentions (view spoiler)
Grant
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
i just lowkey wanna see jack frost thats all im asking for
Carina
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very lovely indeed. Again, gorgeous illustrations. This time we get a lot of back story which I particularly enjoyed. It follows the same structure as the previous books. Could have used more bunny.

it was a smile of total reassurance and gave all who saw it a feeling of intense well-being. Not joy, but something akin to a sleepy peace. A sort of not-a-worry-in-the-world sensation.

Then valiant Nightlight, hero of so many battles, faced the most bewildering moment of his endless boyhood: a kiss
Leselissi
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
So this was my first e-book read ever!

I hesitated to read e-books for quite long, but eventually i wanted to give it a try.
It's okay. I certainly will read more books the electronic way, though basically i'll stick with 'real' books. :)

Apart from that, i like this Guardian story!
Ever since i watched "The Rise of the Guardians", i'm interested in the original story behind it and here is one part of it.
I'd like to read the other Guardian stories as well... in form of an e-book. ;)
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
I will also do a video review here at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/magicofbooks

"The Sandman and the War of Dreams" is book four in "The Guardians" series by William Joyce. We are introduced to the mysterious, silent, but lovable Sanderson Mansnoozie who joins the Guardians to help save Katherine who has been kidnapped by Pitch and Mother Nature before she is trapped in the world of nightmares for all eternity.

I adore this series. There's just something really sweet and charming about it, a
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was almost as perfect as Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King. I've been trying to figure out how to describe this series but I think the title of the first chapter does it best:
The Dreams That Stuff is Made Of
I love it! Also, why is E. Aster me trying to function as a normal human being?
Humor is a mental activity and it has nothing to do with the skeletal system. To claim so is complete nonsense!
Like, honestly same.
Ylenia
I thought this was the last book! I feel so stupid LOL
Deb
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite children’s series. Just beautiful. 5 stars.
Holly
Goodness The story is flying. The story was the best by far since the first book by introducing the featured character right up front. The Dark pages were a real treat!
Kimberly Holzman
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book enjoyed by Sterling and me
Shelz
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how all the characters evolve throughout this series. I can't wait for the next book to come out! ...more
Tami
The Sandman and the War of Dreams is the fourth installment in William Joyce's Guardians series (the animated feature film Rise of the Guardians was based on the series). I have enjoyed each of the books and there is still one final installment left to be written, but The Sandman is my hands-down favorite so far.

The entire series appeals to me because it has the wonderful storyteller quality of the best fairytales and because the theme woven throughout is one of kindness and love, belief in mira
Rachel
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently watched "Rise of the Guardians", the movie based on Joyce's books, which I loved. This re-peaked my interest in the Guardian series and I remembered that I hadn't yet read this book. This version of Sandman was a lot quieter but a bit more in the front view as compared to the movie. Joyce is such an excellent storyteller, I sometimes forget that this book is intended for children, it is that good.

Lord Pitch, the Nightmare King, has abducted Katherine and the Guardians don't know how
Kirsten
Just as good, if not better, than first. Whimsical, magical, and all-around fantastical. (And a really fantastic book to read out loud dramatically to your managers and co-workers while on your break. I mean, Night Pirates and Dreamsand? Nothing better.) Can't wait for the final instalment of this series, it's probably going to slay me.

"I think all wishes are the same, really […] Whether they ask for this, that, or the other, what they are really asking for is happiness."

"And what do you wish? [
Emily
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. Oh my gosh. I am lost for words.

The Sandman and the War of Dreams is the fourth book in the Guardians of Childhood series, and by far is it the best one yet.

As this is the latest book to be released, I'll rate the series as a whole: These books have been an absolute pleasure to fill my spare time with. There wasn't a moment where I didn't enjoy the beautiful writing style and the drawings, oh my god the drawings. William Joyce, you have succeeded in making this my new favourite book seri
Lindsical
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Joyce has such a whimsical way of writing. It's as if his stories have been around for hundreds of years, they are truly modern day classics.
Getting to know Sandman, as well as Pitch and his daughter's story was a rich experience as a reader. Having Nightlight play a larger role in this book gave more to the oneness of the Guardians.
However, I was disappointed in the lack of Jack Frost's appearance, given that it was previewed at the end of Toothiana's book. Very curious to know wha
Brittany
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I loved this book. I really love how these books delve into the backstories of different characters and also I love how incredibly dark the series is. Like, there's a scene in this book where a bunch of people get beheaded. And the nightmares. Aw, man...

Also, I had no idea that there was actually ANOTHER book after this one in the series. I had it in my head that this was the last one. But apparently the 5th one is coming out this October. And it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. Go figure.
Rosie
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I HATE CLIFFHANGERS!!!!!!! I read these books too fast! 2 hours after, I am impatiently waiting another year, maybe more, for the next one. It was a REALLY good book, though.
Lindsey
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandman and Nightlight are my favorites!

I didn’t love that Pitch was written off as too evil to save.
Jordan Lynch
The Guardians are reeling from the disappearance of Katharine and the ever-present threat of Pitch, but the Man in the Moon is sending a new Guardians to help! Enter Sanderson ManSnoozy, better known as the Sandman or Sandy, a former star captain and master of Dreamsand. He may be prone to dozing off, but sleeping is how Sandy works best, and he's a powerful new ally in the battle against Pitch.

This story felt different from the previous books, one because there was a thread of tension throughou
ashleigh
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! So my heart hurts (in a good way) as I really loved this book. What a great story to follow behind Toothiana’s! The story of Emily Jane and Pitch made me so sad and full of awe as to how she became her character. Along with absolutely reading most of the book through Sandman’s perspective made it wonderful to read with a soft-flow-like quality.

A beautiful telling of many characters; and I had questions answered about different happenings, as well as Nightlight. My favorite finally got a par
Jessi
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
I think I needed this, perhaps more than I thought I did when I initially went searching my school library's shelves for it. Was kinda embarrassing not being able to find it in the general fiction section and having to ask this one guy where to find it.(He works in the library and pointed me in the direction of the juvenile literature area XP)

But at work we were asked what our favorite holiday movies were and I remembered mine was Rise of the Guardians and they decided to play it on the tv for m
John Stanifer
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After Book 3 (The Tooth Fairy), I was eager to see if anything in the rest of the series would approach the epic scale of Toothiana's backstory (which reminded me of The Horse and His Boy).

The reveal of Pitch's full backstory, which includes key details on his daughter and Sandman, most certainly gives Book 3's high points a run for their money.

I broke down and watched the movie, Rise of the Guardians, before finishing the books. I loved the movie for its own sake, but the books expand on the pl
Theresa
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
As I read these stories I can hear them being bedtime stories made up for a small child. It adds a layer of sweetness knowing I get invited along to hear these stories.

In this story the guardians are trying to save Katherine. How to save her from Pitch?

Along came Sanderson Mansnoozie, and yes that's his real name, and he sends them into a deep sleep and tells them all about Pitch and his daughter. It was a really interesting story.

From the fan art on the internet, I thought that the story would
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Can someone change the title please? 1 29 Oct 04, 2012 09:02AM

• Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr
  • The Tiger's Nest (Explorer Academy, #5)
  • Next of Kin (John Cleaver, #3.5)
  • Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz
  • Goggles: The Bear Who Dreamed of Flying (Goggles: First Bear To Fly Book 1)
  • It Wasn't My Fault
  • Kitty's Magic 5: Frost and Snowdrop The Stray Kittens
  • The Ginger Bread Man (Read It!: Folk Tales)
  • The Whale Who Ate Everything
  • Abyss
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • Inside a House That is Haunted
  • Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 4 (Rosario+Vampire, #4)
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 3 (Rosario+Vampire, #3)
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • The Last Battle (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
See top shelves…
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more

The Guardians (5 books)
  • Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians, #1)
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! (The Guardians, #2)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3)
  • Jack Frost: The End Becomes the Beginning (The Guardians, #5)