Start by marking “The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Forsaken (The Forsaken #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  6,359 Ratings  ·  956 Reviews
Choose a tribe. Watch your back. And don’t stop running.

Filled with thrilling adventure and romance, The Forsaken is praised by EntertainmentWeekly.com as “a fast-paced novel [that] you’ll get sucked into. You just can’t seem to put [it] down.”

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the US, and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to
Published June 4th 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published July 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Forsaken, please sign up.
Sandra Harnum My answer would be "YES" along with The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner series. The book is littered with similar ideas of each.

Although, must…more

Although, must admit, the UNA concept is an interesting take. Has potential to be great; however, some storyline plot is lacking with regards to the unnecessary love triangle. Nonetheless, it's YA. There's always a love triangle. (most times). (less)
Tyler Jones I'm 11 and I just finished forsaken I think it is mostly appropriate. Is she an advanced reader though? She may struggle with it if she is still…moreI'm 11 and I just finished forsaken I think it is mostly appropriate. Is she an advanced reader though? She may struggle with it if she is still reading David Walliams books or tom gates... If she is really into dystopia and has read divergent maze runner, etc and loved them then yes! definitely recommend this. I also recommend gone series by Michael Grant there are six books and it really kept me going and I'm a fast reader! You can have a look at my to reads and want to reads and read etc if you want some ideas. (less)

Itzel
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Itzel by: Goodreads
My reaction to reading the summary of this book.

Niga Higa - hell yeah Pictures, Images and Photos

My reaction to finishing this novel.

First and foremost, Alenna needs to set her priorities straight.

One moment, she's saying that she won't fall in love with hot boy Liam and focus on surviving, then the next moment, she's drooling over him, and his muscles. No, just no. And another thing that further fueled the fuel with this book was the instant love. I swear on the third meeting between these boring characters they both fall in love.

The heck!
Emily May

Well, what can I say about The Forsaken? Very little that I haven't already said about almost every other dystopian book I've read in the last couple of years. I'll say yet again what I nearly always say when reviewing dystopian or urban fantasy novels: if you deliberately come back time after time because you like having more of the same, then you may find this easier to love. If you're sick of a few unexplained mentions of the word "control" and sparse world-building, this isn't going to be a
Crini
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Most awesome dust cover EVER!
Ellyce
The Forsaken is a book that I was really looking forward to, as it had a gorgeous cover and an equally intriguing premise. With the dystopian genre as the new à la mode, it's difficult to find a series that can truly set itself apart from the rest. The bar has been set pretty high, and it's not easy to come up with something that is truly gripping. The only series that I've really enjoyed following The Hunger Games have been Divergent and Lunar Chronicles, and even those are lacking in some of t ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was awesome, but I just had to dock a star for that TERRIBLE romance. Like seriously, not every YA dystopian book needs a cheesy romance, I really wish authors could get that into their heads. But otherwise, AHHH AWESOME, AMAZING, HARGIDULSLKG.

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO REVIEW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqsHKd...
Nafiza
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t often read Dystopocalyptic novels willingly but when Lisa approached me for a review and I read the synopsis, I found myself intrigued. I am glad I took a chance because as it turns out, The Forsaken is one of the best Dystopians I have read ever.

What makes The Forsaken so interesting (and riveting) to me are various things which I am going to discuss in the next few paragraphs. (A thesis statement of sorts? Hah.).

Superficially, The Forsaken does not differ in any major way from the rath
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
The Forsaken has a great dystopian idea, a prison island where those who fail a behavior test are sent. That has some of the essential ingredients for a great dystopian : 1. Controlling government 2. Disenfrantized citizenship 3. Lack of control over own life. And the book starts strongly, with the main character going through the test then waking up dazed and confused in the middle of the jungle.

Sound greats right? Unfortunately from there the book just goes wrong. Quickly Alenna, moves into a
ZEYNEP DERYA
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sürgün'de birden fazla distopyanın izlerini gördüm. Açlık Oyunları, Eşleşme, Uyumsuz vs. gibi. Aşırı derecede bir benzerlik yok ama hepsinden ufak ufak bağdaştırabileceğiniz yerler var. Hikayeyi ve özellikle baş karakter Alenna'yı sevdim. Buraya dikkatinizi çekiyorum: BEN BİR KIZ KARAKTERİ SEVDİM. Pek sık görülen bir durum değil.
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

It is the future, and the world is a very different place. Because of the crumbling economy and political tensions, the United States, Mexico, and Canada have combined to form the United Northern Alliance (the U.N.A.), under the not-so-benevolent leadership of Prime Minister Roland Haka - a four-star general who came to power and created the UNA following the civil unrest due to economic unrest and food shortages. In the new supernation, travel is banned,
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
This book had so much lost potential that it's almost sad. The plot promises to be the next Lord of the Flies, it promises hints of The Hunger Games and The Giver. Sadly, it does not live up to huge expectations. It doesn't even begin to touch any of my smaller ones (such as a passable plot, good world building, and likable characters).

The Forsaken is an odd sort of read. It's a exciting boring novel - which doesn't make any sense I'm sure but once read, what I mean is quite clear. The Forsaken
Jilly
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, y-a
This is one of those books that I've had for a while but wasn't excited about, so I put off reading it. But, wow! It was weirdly good. That's right, weirdly good is a thing.

First, it has the whole "Lost" feeling to it with these kids on the island and you are never quite sure what is really going on. There's weird crap happening all around them, and some crazy cult tribe trying to kill them, on top of things plucking them from the sky. It's a little much!

Oh Crap! This isn't looking too good!
lord of flies photo: Feb Newsletter?Theatre-Lord of Flies Lord_of_the_Flies.jpg

The
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really really really enjoyed this book. Video review coming soon. ;)
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Not so far in the future, a global economic meltdown results in devastating and wide-ranging consequences. When sixteen-year-old Alenna Shawcross was only five years old, the three countries of North America - Canada, the USA and Mexico - merged to form the United Northern Alliance, led by self-appointed Prime Minister Roland Harka, a charismatic army general, and set about trying to subjugate the rest of the world with the might of its armies and technology, to secure food supplies among other ...more
Leah G
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewes
Eh. Good writer, who wrote the wrong book. It's a mashup of Hunger Games, Uglies, and basically every other dystopia I can't think of offhand. I won't summarize the plot, the official summary is a perfect description.

If Stasse ever writes anything else I'd love to read it. She's got talent, definitely. Great, fast-paced fighting and lots of plot twists...which are alas totally predictable to anyone who's ever heard of the term "Big Brother." Also people constantly die- except the ones that it wo
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I was drawn to this book because of the cover. It's understated yet almost off-putting, and more traditionally "sci-fi" than other YA of the same genre. For that reason, I was expecting so much more of this book. Unfortunately, the cover might as well have been a girl wearing a pretty dress.

The idea was interesting, of course. Naturally there are Lord of the Flies comparisons, but this book struck me as a combination of LOST and The Host (towards the end), oddly enough. However, the world didn't
Nancy
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ranks high on the young adult dystopians. The book is non-stop action and surprising. I expected none of what transpired. It is also surprisingly violent, although not detailed.

What I liked:
1. The story first and foremost. It is something interesting and compelled me forward.
2. The friendship between the girls. As the story develops, the complicated relationship of girls plays out as there is a common hottie boy.
3. The uncomplicated romance. Yes, there is a triangle and it causes some
Thomas
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
AUGUST 2015 - BOOKTUBETHON DAY 1:
★ 3.5 STARS ★

“I realise for the first time what being sent to the island really means – the total annihilation of hope.”

Such an intriguing & gripping read -- really enjoyed this one.

The premise and story were so exciting & tense, keeping me on the edge of my seat as the secrets were revealed. The island was very cool too!

This book had one of the best twists I've read in a long time! -- I was caught completely off guard, left speechless.

The reason t
Heather
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the past, I've noted that dystopians are not my favorite genre, but that doesn't keep me from trying them from time to time and I have found many that I love. I have recently started changing my mind with the influx of really different traditionally and indie published dystopians. This one rocked! It read a bit like a horror story to me it was just so unimaginable what was happening. From beginning to end the inhabitants or should I say the outcasts on the island are constantly barraged by so ...more
Morgan
Aug 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mitchii
Nothing beats the feeling of satisfaction after reading the book you expected to be awesome. I’ve been eyeing this baby for a while and lo and behold it was on galley grab. I didn’t know it was within my reach (this early). I was so ecstatic to read it. An island full of teenagers who have violent tendencies? *Raises her hand, me wants it!*

If Glimpse has a test to identify people with mental illness, the GPPT (government personality profile test) will determine kids with potential aggressive beh
MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov
PANEM IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE WHEEL! IM SURE ALL HUNGER GAMES FANS WILL LOVE THIS BOOK!

This book gets a A+ for ORIGINALITY!!!! Even though some may it was Hunger Games meets Lord of the flies, which DOES NOT stop this book from having GREAT potential! I really enjoyed all of the characters, they all played a significant part in the book and weren't just a waste of a character. Every one of them was put on the wheel for a purpose and all had essential skills that was needed to help each other
Justin
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dystopians have become extremely popular in YA recently. And the problem with the popularity comes trying to find a way to take a well saturated genre such as Dystopian and try to write something completely unique for it. It almost feels like an impossible feat, because almost every time you will be able to draw some similarity to other Dystopian books. This is where The Forsaken comes in, it is without a doubt a great book. But you will find you see yourself drawing comparisons to many differen ...more
Adeeb
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on http://bookville1.blogspot.com/2012/0...

First of all, I'd like to give a big thank you because I got provided with a review copy. Second, I just have to admire this cover greatly. This is perhaps the best cover out there. Very creative, and perfectly fits with the story. It's great to see a change from the girls dressed up on covers.

On to the review:

By now you might think: Enough of dystopia! It's everywhere. Soon there will be a "dystopian corner" just like there was
Isamlq
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-galley
2.5/5

The Forsaken. It reads like a mish mash of Lord of the Flies and Maze Runner and some other stuff that I have read and liked more. A good deal of it bored me. Some of it read too convenient and not sinister enough.. or maybe too sinister as if trying too hard.

If I were to piece it apart, the individual bits could have been interesting ala Lord of Flies but instead of a plane crash landing and kids attempting to survive this one has a prison with factions whose loyalties and goals were not
Marie
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-a-look
This was a very fast read with lots of action.

It was really good but I found the ending lacking and unsatisfying.
It wasn't that it was bad- this was not the case at all, it's just the ending was not as good as the rest of the book.

Alena saw her parents taken at 10 years old by the UNA. They tell her their gone and she's theirs now- the UNA's orphan.
When children reach 16 it is mandatory for them to take a test which- known to them decides if they will be rebels or not. They are designed to k
Sinem Yaren
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı bir buçuk gün içinde bitirdim ve her ne kadar Açlık Oyunları, Uyumsuz ve Maze Runner karışımı gibi olsa da (pek çok açıdan) hiç sıkılmadan okudum. Oldukça akıcı ve sürükleyici bir dili vardı.
-spoiler içermediğini düşünüyorum ama istemeyen okumasın :D-
Bu kitap bir distopya ve kısaca özetlemek gerekirse yaşadığımız zamanın ilerisinde geçiyor. Birleşik Kuzey İttifakı diye bir yer var Bu Kanada Amerika ve Meksikanın birleşimi gibi bir şey. Buradaki hükümet çocuklara 16 yaşına gelince bir test
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
What a disappointment. I was looking forward to this book for so long. I even bought it in hardback because the cover is so pretty and I honestly thought I would love it. But I just didn't. If it wasn't for the pretty good plot, it would've been a 1 or 2 star for me. But I really did enjoy the story itself.

The main thing that annoyed me about this was the characters. Or, to be more precise, the ridiculous romance and love triangle. It was a serious case of insta-love, it it was so cheesy it lit
Jacob McCabe
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off...can we just take a moment to bask in the glorious that is this cover? It might be my favorite cover of all time.

Anyway, I think I really enjoyed this book. It has some astounding parts, and some lesser parts, but in the end it really pulled together and set up the last book. In fact, the last chapter was my favorite because it answered pretty much all of my questions and I can now see where she's going it with it, which makes me really excited for book two.

The main complaint I have
Sara
Ugh. This book has a lovely cover. It is a shame that it is so completely meh in every other way. It took me way too long to read it, just because it was so...un-interesting. In every way. It wasn't TERRIBLE, I just didn't care.

The characters were super uninteresting and underdeveloped, the love story had no power behind it or desire, the world building was kind of downright awful (this all takes place 20 years from now? I just...no?), the writing was blah, and it was TOO LONG.

Overall, this wa
Meghan
The whole concept of this book was completley awesome and I loved it, I just felt like it could have been done better. My main problem with this book was the characters. I didn't feel any sort of attachment towards any of them. When characters died or were taken or left behind, I didn't care. I didn't feel the emotional response I'm used to with books. I even felt detached from the main character, Alenna. I really wanted to love this book because the plot just sounded so great, but I only got a ...more
do you like Liam and Alenna? 8 40 Oct 01, 2017 09:31PM
Just a quick comparison question. 4 13 Jun 14, 2014 11:00AM
David 1 13 Jun 13, 2014 07:46AM
What's the Name o...: Solved: Kids sent to island. YA Dystopian [s] 3 44 Feb 25, 2014 06:30AM
Shut Up & Read: The Forsake by Lisa M. Stasse 25 30 Jul 04, 2013 02:48PM
anybody else love Aleniam? Or Lienna. 1 10 Feb 14, 2013 07:58PM
Cover "inspired"? 3 47 Dec 21, 2012 07:01PM
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadows Cast By Stars
  • Cybernetic
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • The Lost Girl
  • So Close to You (So Close to You, #1)
  • Erasing Time (Erasing Time, #1)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • The Killables (The Killables, #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • The Lost Code (The Atlanteans, #1)
  • Through to You

The Forsaken (3 books)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Freedom means more than just struggling to survive.” 37 likes