Start by marking “Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)” as Want to Read:
Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)

Against the Edge

(Against Series / Raines of Wind Canyon #8)

A child he's never met. A danger he's never known.

Deep in the humid, rank heart of the Louisiana bayou, a survivalist group has something that belongs to former navy SEAL Ben Slocum: his son.

That he's a father is news Ben Slocum was not expecting. But once the initial shock wears off for the confirmed bachelor, he takes in the rest of what social worker Claire Chastain t
Published April 30th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2013)

CC
I could write a really long review, but I already wasted a day reading this damn book - so go elsewhere for more info. I am going to stick to the issues for myself and the Safety Gang. This book was a hot mess.

I usually like romantic suspense. Maybe it is the author, this book, or just the many issues I noted below. I may give her one more chance but I doubt it.

Safety Gang spoilers
(view spoiler)
Pheonix Fanfiction
These are my thoughts/feelings while reading this book:

0.0% Hopefully starting this tomorrow :) Looking forward to it :D
Haven't actually had time to start this yet :'( life has been really really hectic the last couple days but I should def have time to start this tonight if not tomorrow for sure! Just wanna read! :'(

4% When she had come to Houston, she hadn’t been sure Ben Slocum would help her. But then she saw his face as he looked at his son for the very first time, and she had believed not
Book Binge
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Those of us who have read the books in this series know that the heroes and heroines are gritty and plucky people who have taken the challenges of life, some of them quite extraordinary, and have woven them into the warp and woof of their lives. For a Navy SEAL, life is seen through a very specialized set of lenses. These individuals are prepared to deal with just about anything and no matter how challenging. Yet finding out that one has a child about whom they were completely ignorant has to be ...more
Katie_la_geek

For some reason I put off reading this book for a long time. I have had it for about two years now and have only just gotten around to reading it. I am not sure what it is exactly that made me reluctant to read this book. Every time I picked it up I put it down again without even starting it. Finally, I managed to pick this up and start reading it and I am glad I did because I ended up liking it.

Kat Martin did a great job of creating this tense and steamy romance. It was well written, had depth
Cheri
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one for the series. I only have one left to read and then I will mourn the loss,lol!
Amber Daulton
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first book I’ve read from Kat Martin and I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Raines of Wind Canyon series. This particular book, however, didn’t live up to the series hype in my opinion. While it was a good story with a good plot idea, I think this novel would’ve been better as a novella since it dragged on for me.

**************** SPOILERS ***********************

The first half of the story was repetitive. The main characters, Ben and Claire, are working together to find Ben’s
Ally
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Against the Edge is the eighth book in Ms Martin's Raines of Wind Canyon series and as usual I just jumped straight into Against the Edge and I had no problems with jumping in with an already established series as judging by Against the Edge each book has different characters that don't always connect with the previous books other than a mention of other characters and such.

While I liked Against the Edge I had some problems with believing in the romance between the main character's Ben and Clair
Darla
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I liked sweet, passionate Claire and strong, protective, but emotionally shut down Ben. It was a total make up for all the other previous, badly done "delinquent" daddy themed books I had read. Neither character was overly foolish and they both seemed believable to me. I loved how as soon as Ben found out about his son, he was all in and ready to track him down and bring him home. I loved how despite how uptight Claire appeared to be she stood on her own and wouldn't ...more
Anita
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the Against the .... series. I have not read a bad one yet and I have read then all to this 8th book. Great plots and hot romance. Although, they do seem to be a bit on the formula side, they are still great books and provide the escape I read for.

Clare has come to Ben to get his help to find Sam, who was kidnapped by a real bad dude his mom was sleeping with before she died from breast cancer. Sam is also the son Ben never knew he had. Ben is mad as hell that Laure never told him he was
Teresa
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better books I've read in this series! I quite enjoyed the chemistry between Ben and Claire. I also liked that the story had some good ups and downs and kept my interest as Ben and Claire navigated through a sea of bad guys to find Ben's son. I have one more book of the series to read and hoping it's as enjoyable as this one!
Ann Keller
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, romance, suspense
Awesome book by this author! I love the perfect balance of suspense and mystery. The characters are gritty and raw at times. She really did her research on this one, too. Very true to life.
Janeiowa
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms Martin writes superb romantic suspense. This one will keep you on the edge of your seat with her complex storyline and well-drawn characters.
Kathy
The basic suspense story here was interesting and the romance ran as expected, but after a while I simply got tired of hearing about how great the couple thought each other looked and how good the sex was, blah, blah, blah. I may no longer be a kid and I remember the excitement of new relationships, etc., but I kept wanting to say something like, "there's a difference between sex and romance and love...."

And did I say the basic non-relationship premise of the book was interesting enough? I'm not
Kim
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did not realize I had read this several years ago, even so it was good reading the second time around. Ben is a ex Navy Seal working as a independent PI with Alvarez Security in Houston, Texas. He arrives home to find a woman on his door step who says her name is Claire she is a social worker in Los Angles and he has a nine year old son who has been kidnaped and the police believe he was a runaway. But she knows differently and she needs his help.
Jennifer Blouch
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is my current favorite and I can't stop reading them. THIS story was very special to me. The extreme tenderness in Claire struck a chord for me. Ben's willingness to do anything, anything for his son really touched me. This story was so sweet.
Joy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one totally worked for me. Claire was my kind of heroine and although I haven't loved Ben in the previous books, he worked for me here. Good plotting, somewhat plausible (although that wasn't really why I was reading it), and wholly enjoyable.
Maggie Shanley
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this one all the way through but I really did not like the story or the main characters much. I found it to be very sexist and just didn't enjoy this story of Ex-Navy Seal Ben Slocum, the child he never knew about and the revenge kidnapping. Did not feel believable...
Neva Womack
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fast paced suspense and romance all in one book. Who could ask for anything more?
Holley
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stubborn heroine, sexy hero who loves the son he has never met, and a suspense. It's right up my alley
Marianne
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Suspenseful plot. Well written. Some cliches, but not so much as to annoy. Like this series
charmaine White
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Kat Martin delivers the goods as always.Mystery,suspense,thrills and romance.This story holds you from the very first page to the very last.Next book please.
Cruth
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good, solid romantic suspense. Once again, Martin writes a strong female character who sticks up for herself, a believable child character and a Hero With A Heart. A good read.
Robyn Martin
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kindle
Cathie Alexander
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mix of adventure and romance!
Carol
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adventure.
Bernie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Against the Edge review

Against the Edge is the eighth romantic suspense book in The Raines of Wind Canyon series written by author Kat Martin.
☕️Kimberly
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Each book in the Raines of Wind Canyon features an ex-military alpha-male who is perfect in every way but slightly flawed in the commitment department. They work in security or as private investigators and ultimately fall for a strong, independent woman. Kat Martin dishes up great suspense virtually guaranteeing me an engaging read with swoon worthy characters. She mixes in some romance, a little heat and a few giggles. She raised the bar with Against the Edge, this was intense, sweet and ke ...more
Rhonda
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)

I have read 4 out of the 8 books in the Raines of Wind Canyon series. This one does not disappoint in drama,suspense,action and likeable characters. It is also steamy. I admit to skipping over the sex scenes. Good plot,lots of different characters.

Claire is a social worker and she wanted to get custody of her friends son Sam after she dies but judge said no. Then Sam disappeared from his foster family home. Who did not report him missing fo
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kat Martin has definitely raised the bar as series go with 'Against the Edge'. The third book in the Against series has all the romance and intrigue as the Book 1 and Book 2, while keeping the readers sitting on the edge of their seats in anticipation of each next event as the pages are turned.

"I'm going to find my son. It doesn't matter if he's run away or if this guy Bridger took him. The minute I saw that picture, I had no other choice."

Set in the bayous and swamps of Northern Louisiana, Kat
  • Wait Until Dark (The Night Stalkers, #4)
  • Siren's Song (Bewitching Bedlam, #3)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • Love Means... Endurance (Farm, #8)
  • Arresting Love (Wild R Farm, #2)
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Endless Heart (Heart, #3)
  • Once Upon a Highland Summer
  • 'Til Death (Rebel Ridge, #3)
  • Midnight Lies (Wildefire, #2)
  • Free Fall (Elite Force, #4)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Bare It All (Love Undercover, #2)
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
  • Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
  • Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #4)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read

Against Series / Raines of Wind Canyon (9 books)
  • Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1)
  • Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2)
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
  • Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)
  • Against the Night (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #5)
  • Against the Sun (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Against the Mark (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #9)