Start by marking “An Unwilling Conquest (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
An Unwilling Conquest  (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)

An Unwilling Conquest

(Regencies #7)

A successful horse breeder and self-proclaimed rake, Harry Lester samples women like wines. But after having his heart trampled by someone he actually loved, he has no intention of falling for a woman again, let alone being ensnared by the trap of marriage. Now, with a large inheritance to his name, Harry knows that he'd best start running from London's matchmaking mothers ...more
Published April 30th 2013 by Harlequin HQN (first published November 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about An Unwilling Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unwilling Conquest

Somia
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

Book 3 in the Lester series gives us brother Harry Lester, who helps rescue independent and wealthy widow Mrs. Lucinda Babbacombe and her step-daughter, feeling an instant and unwanted attraction to her he spends most of the book resisting the urge to marry Lucinda, and this resistance and Lucinda’s urge to have him in wedlock, kinda annoyed me, part of me wanted her to give him the middle finger (metaphorically speaking) and live her life – and once he realised what an idiot he had be
Kirsten
This is another in the Lester Family series. Harry the third child is the third in the family to avow never to marry. Both Lenore and Jack have fallen in love unexpectedly and then married that leaves Harry and Gerald as the two single family members. Harry, a renown rake with a hurtful secret seems to all intents determined to carry on being just that sort of person in his relationships. However, from the moment Harry rescues the widow Mrs Lucinda Babbacombe from an overturned carriage fate app ...more
Lita Bouquard
Book 3- Brother Harry rescues a widow and her step daughter and the from that moment he fights the urge to marry.
I liked Widow Babbacombe despite the name. Lucinda knows she wants Harry from the get go. She is business minded and keeps surprising and annoying Harry with her ability to safely accomplish things.

She has common sense and intelligence.

She has a great scene at the end where she defends herself.

Harry's aunt Agatha - a plotter who is determined to help Lucinda bring Harry to his knees
Jean
I almost returned this book despite just downloading it from the library. I am very close to being burned out on Stephanie Laurens even though I do enjoy her books. However, this was a nice change. The story focused on the main characters with elements of intrigue on the periphery. This is by no means her more in-depth romantic suspense novel that she is usually known for. It's a nice light story with elements of intrigue but we know from the get-go who the bad guys are and in fact, I felt it ad ...more
Kelly
At first I was 'unwilling' (Don't hate me) to read this novel based on the fact that I had only slightly enjoyed one of Laurens other novels before, but actually I really enjoyed 'The Unwilling Conquest'.
The characters were well-developed and I enjoyed their flirtationship and banter as much as their story. They were both sharp and witty as well as being traditionally romantic and flowery as most Regency novel characters are.

I only gave it three stars because while it was a good read it was en
Rachel Rogers
Tedious. I kept wanting to put this down but had invested so much into it that I wanted to keep going. The middle of the book was a waste. The beginning and end saved it as much as could be for me. If it had stuck with either romance or suspense it would have been better - the mixture has been done much better by others. Harry's insistence to NOT tell Lucinda what was going on or even what had happened at the end irks me.
Marina

()()()()()()()()()()()
Farshana
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vr-lib
Quite an enjoyable fare and different from the usual stories from Stephanie Laurens. Some of her works had become a bit tedious for me.This was easy and light with very likable hero and heroine, the banter was good and witty with a kind of dry humor which was entertaining.The suspense was not heavy and was woven well into the story. Lucinda and Harry were both interesting characters and I loved Dawlish with his sarcastic and amusing comments.
Karen Darling
While the heroin is smart she's still dumb. She goes outside on a terrace with a rake and gets attacked and the hero had to save her. She got what she deserved, she's not even a young debutant, she should have known better. I hate dumb heroines. I couldn't finish this.
Vixen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable

I enjoyed it, had some nice humorous moments. Liked the strong female lead and the male was not bad at all.
Kem
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story, while an intriguing one, is too drawn out with the love chase and not enough of the danger part.
Carla
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this romance between a widow and a rake. Fun, with good supporting characters and story.
JS
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
A nice read - very promising start but ended up being long-drawn-out. Interesting couple,but could have seen less dithering.
Barbara Peters
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Racy but enjoyable
joyce ryder
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book,easy on the brain.A simple story line that was easy to follow and just right for settling down last thing at night 🌙.Now for the next book in line☺
Sheila Melo
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Favorite of the Series

"In my opinion, Mrs. Babbacombe, women like you should not be allowed out alone."

THE STORY: Harry Lester is a rake with a new fortune and as a result the women of the ton are now after him in earnest. When he retreats to Newmarket for the races, he comes across an overturned carriage. He meets Mrs. Lucinda Babbacombe, a widow who is independent and self-assured. Although the attraction between them is immediate, Harry is determined to resist the snare of this virtuous wi
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1996
Length: 334 pages
Setting: Newcastle, Regency period.
Sex: Fade to black. Infrequent.
Heroine: 28yo (view spoiler) widow with stepdaughter. Married to a much older man at 16. Now co-owner (with stepdaughter) of many inns across the country.
Hero: 34yo. Runs the Lester stud.
Includes: Excerpt fromA Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurens.

Another easy Regency romance from Laurens. A mature relationship with two strong, independent peop
Kathy
Melissa Blanchard
I recommend - "An Unwilling Conquest Lester Family Saga, Book 3" by Stephanie Laurens audiobook narrated by Nellie Chaltant.

Sound quality was clear and easy listening. Nellie created distinct voices for all the characters.

Stephanie's dialog was flowing and fun weaving a story of a young widow traveling to investigate her inherited Inns. The widow is a strong woman that understands business but shows compassion as well.

I enjoyed the drama and the comedy in the story - well crafted. Just enough
Manuela
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I have a question. I am not very good in remembering titles of books and I noticed lately that I keep taking the same books off the shelves in my library, thinking I have a new (=one I haven't read yet) book in my hands and after the first sentence I know, I have read it before. It is a different cover but the characters and the story is familiar. How do I avoid that? Whitout starting to read (I wouldn't put it down then)...as you noticed I have a shelf re-read now.
But back to the book. I love S
Helene Harrison
Review - I felt that less of a connection was made with both Harry and Lucinda than the characters in the previous books. I also wish that, instead of the last book focusing on Philip, Baron Ruthven, it instead focused on Gerald Lester, who has been quite left out, and is an intriguing character. I didn't like An Unwilling Conquest as much as the previous two in the Lester series. I did like the background question over her guardianship and the state of her first marriage. It added a little some ...more
Marlene
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pace was very slow. This is the most marriage adverse man I've encountered in a Regency. Alec seemed very familiar with tonnish events, despite being a rake, who normally don't attend marriage minded events. Lucinda was the picture of patience, and should have told him off multiple times for his tight lipped reticence. I wish the series would conclude with Gerald's story, as a romance was strongly hinted with Heather.
Amira
Dodgey title I know, but surprisingly theres more plot and emotional description in this book than passion or romance, especially for this typical genre. I found it slow at times, the second half slowed down heaps. Harry's continued resistance and distance, who is actually the unwilling conquest and the storyline could have been much more stronger and emotive, it severely lacked tension especially in regards to the more action and romance parts.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Harry is a hot man but the story was not what I was expecting. Harry is in no mood to be tied and bound in matrimony. But timing is key to his down fall. Lucinda Babbacombe brings him closer to love than he wanted to be or expect to be. He works hard to avoid the lure of seduction that is woven deeply around Mrs. Babbacomb.
Mon
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much. A pity that so many writers lack the flair to write a romance novel without needing a side-plot of danger lurking from some external source. Does anyone still possess the skill to weave romance between the two main characters only? Please do let me know if you find such...
Amani
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a good read and I highly recommend it. The editing I suspect was done thoroughly because there were very little, maybe none at all, grammatical mistakes. But overall, the book stood to its point. It truly was "An Unwilling Conquest."

The description at the back didn't do the book justice, but, as they say, "Never judge a book by its cover."
Elke
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
Stephanie Laurens is a must read. No matter what she writes, I know it will ALWAYS be amazing.
I highly recommend reading this book and all by this author.
this is a lovely steamy romance with twists and turns that make it a fun and exciting read.
Andrea
Nov 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF @ page 211

As a reader, I live by the philosophy that life's too short to force yourself to finish books you're not enjoying, especially books that make you want to punch the so-called hero in the face. Alas, this is one of those books.
Ashley
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really I don't think he was that unwilling. Maybe a little reluctant at first but not unwilling. Overall I loved Lucinda for her courage and adventurous nature. And Harry was a little to stone like in the ton, but heart warming in private.
Jean Smith
I liked the leading lady, I found the hero irritating as he wouldn't accept her as an independent lady but I guess that is what the time was like. At least the leading lady did not deviate from her charcuterie. Worth a read

• Rough Around the Edges
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Fate Takes A Hand
  • The Baby Jackpot (Safe Harbor Medical, #10)
  • Paradise Valley
  • A Taste of the Forbidden (Buenos Aires Nights, #1)
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • Shalako/Catlow
  • The Return of the Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Suddenly
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #12)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • The Tower (Erotic Bedtime Stories, #1)
  • Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)
  • Desire's Prize
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Regencies (8 books)
  • Tangled Reins (Regencies, #1)
  • Four In Hand (Regencies, #2)
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Fair Juno (Regencies, #4)
  • The Reasons For Marriage (Regencies, #5; Lester Family, #1)
  • A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)
  • A Comfortable Wife (Lester Family, #4)