Start by marking “Persephone the Daring (Goddess Girls, #11)” as Want to Read:
Persephone the Daring (Goddess Girls, #11)

Persephone the Daring

(Goddess Girls #11)

Mortal rock star Orpheus steals the spotlight in this Goddess Girls tale of love and lyres!

Orpheus is a mortal rock god, and the girls at Mount Olympus Academy are wild about him! With his lyre and singing voice, Orpheus can charm pretty much anything—even things like stones and trees. But Hades and the other MOA boys aren’t charmed. In fact, they are less than thrilled th
Published August 6th 2013 by Aladdin

Angelc
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this entire series, and this is one of the best installments yet. I think I literally read this book with a huge smile on my face!

Persephone was already one of my favorite characters from the series, she's so shy and adorable, but she's actually really strong too. This book had a great story about Persephone trying to be more daring. She even made a new friend, Eurydice-Orpheus's back up singer, who was super brave. However, Persephone soon found out that Eurydice was more than daring, sh
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Truth about Persephone the Daring
Despite increasing reservations about the Goddess Girls series, I will remain complimentary at the authors’ ability to draw the reader in. That being said, I became sucked into reading Persephone the Daring, and I felt “mega”- dizzy.
According to the Teen Scrollazine poll, Persephone is voted as Most Dependable. As two outspoken characters said, the survey in the “ ’zine” is like “totally wrong!” If Persephone were more dependable, the reader would have gotten
Shauna
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Persephone the Daring continues the series that turns Greek mythology heroes into modern day teenagers going to school and learning all about life and friendship.

In Greek mythology Persephone (pur-SEF-uh-nee) is kidnapped by Hades, the god of the underworld. Her mother, the goddess of the harvest, braves a rescue to bring Persephone home.

Hades agrees to let Persephone go home for one half of the year during spring and summer when flowers bloom. The half of the year where Persephone is with Hades
Sophie
Mortal rockstars Eurydice and Orpheus steal the stage in the 11th goddess girls book. This one is told from the point of view of Persephone and Hades. It was great to see the book from two different perspectives, if I'm correct this is the first time that's been done? I love Hades and Persephone; they have such deep, interesting personalities; what you see is not always what you get. Hades is my favourite god boy and Persephone is my fav goddess girl apart from Medusa.

As usual there are many st
Suzanne
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology, ya-kid-lit
The Goddess Girls series by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams is a painless introduction to characters from mythology. In this story Persephone is named "Most Dependable" in a Teen Scrollazine poll. She feels that dependable equals boring, so she resolves to be more daring and change everyone's opinion of her. She and the other girls from MOA (Mount Olympus Academy) have a slumber party and play a game of Truth or Dare. Persephone chooses to take a dare since it will make her seem more "daring." T ...more
Daisy
This book was a lot better than Persephone's last book. She does seem to take stereotypes and what people say about her a bit too seriously, but that was fine with me.

Eurydice was a bit of strange character and I didn't like her very much. All the new characters were just a bit weird.

I liked reading from Persephone and Hades' points of view, because I really like him and hearing his thoughts about Persephone was really lovely. And the way they resolved the Underworld problem was great - was what
Sydney
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
when Persephone is dared to get a autograph from the famous singer Orpheus.it changes everything.first Orpheus comes to her school next Hades gets jealous of Orpheus then Orpheus's back singer wonders in to the underworld.so now Persephone has to set things right.
Hannah Chung
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
My gosh! Poor Persephone!
Chelsea
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: littles-log
My 7yr old and I adore these books. Persephone is my favourite Goddess Girl thus far ❤ ...more
cozy reads
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this as I kid and still like the stories. This really got me into reading. And love Greek stories. A lot of books got me into reading but I absolutely loved these. My mom would sometimes read them to me. And I would sometimes read them myself.
Elizabeth  Chang
Another great book! Eurydice and Orpheus were just a TAD annoying though! And yay! Go Persephone for finally accepting that being dependable is a good trait! Watching her going out of her way to be daring was a bit cringey and annoying if I'm being perfectly honest!
Michelle
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter's review (8 years old):

"Goddess Girls is the best book series I've ever read! It's so exciting, magical, adventurous and funny! My favorite so far is Persephone the Daring. It's so crazy, funny and exciting! Totally a five-star!"
Kailajane23hotmail.Com
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Same stuff sort of over and over again in the beginning but the rest of it is pretty good
Alexandra
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goddess-girls
Very detailed, some of the chapters were quite boring otherwise it would've been 5 stars. I would read more of the series. - my 8 years old child review
AwesomePerson
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!
Nur Nadhirah
Sep 30, 2016 marked it as to-read
it's good,can't wait the next volume
Diamond

I picked up this book while glancing at the middle grade books in Barnes & Noble. I had seen a lot about the Goddess Girls series around the book blogosphere. I was always intrigued by the premise: the Greek Gods and Goddesses when they were young. They all attend Mount Olympus Academy together.

The "Goddess Girls" are a group of friends that consist of the famous goddesses from Greek Mythology. This book is about Persephone. You probably know her as the daughter of Demeter and wife of Hades
Linda Jaejoong
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-until-2019
Endlich sind Hades und Persephone wieder an der Reihe, ich hab sie so vermisst. Sie und Hades sind meine Lieblings Charaktere in der gesamten Reihe. Diesmal wird ihre "Romanze" auf eine harte Probe gestellt. Persephone nimmt eine Mutprobe an, die ungeahnte Konsequenzen hat und muss lernen das Zuverlässigkeit eine positive Eigenschaft ist, die Leben retten kann. Werden sie und Hades ihre Differenzen bei Seite legen können oder hat ihre Romanze doch keine Zukunft??

Ich liebe Persephone ja, aber die
Grace
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I personally think this was the best goddess girls book yet! A new method of sorting the chapters is introduced in persephone the daring when Joan Holub sorts his chapters by listing the name of the character who is telling the part of the story. unlike a lot of the other goddess girls books the cover of the book has lots of detail new actions are put into the title to make the title more intriguing even though the title does not appear in the actual book it tells a lot about what might happen! ...more
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review

I liked Persephone's first book, but she and I never made it to full on BFF mode. I still don't think we're there yet, but I connected with her a lot more this time and we would have totally had bonding moments at the lunch table (ugh, that girl, SO get your frustration with her, Persephone!). The myth twisting felt particularly good and I adore the things that happened with her relationship with Hades (no spoilers, but so sweet!). I appreciate the way the author
Amber Carlson
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute, YA retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. I've read a couple of other books in this series, and it's a fun way to introduce Greek mythology to a tween reader.

Of course, the author takes liberties with how she presents the myth, as the original myths usually had really unsavory elements in them, so this series is basically a cleaner version of the myths, and appropriate for its intended audience. After reading 'Persephone the Phony' (which was about the myth of Hade
Lauren
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: febuary-14
I picked this book because i read most of the series and because Persephone has only one book. I finished it because i love to finish books.

the summary of this book starts with how Persephone got voted the most dependable and she wants to be daring. When the most famous singer comes to MOA Persephone gets close with Eurydice. But after Persephone plants a flower for Hades and a few days later Eurydice sneaks into the underworld they try to sneak her out. They trick the furies to letting Eurydice
Amanda
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was probably harder on this book because I liked the first one with Persephone so well. I thought the switching perspectives was kind of fun, but I felt like the authors could have done more to make the character's individual voices sound more, well, individual. The troubles and traumas in this book were a bit clichéd, too, but I guess it's asking a lot to expect 20+ books released in such a short time span *not* to have some silliness and redundancy. ;)
Nichole Dawn Romero
This was a good book just like the rest of them. It ran a little longer and got really slow in some parts which is why it got a four instead of a five. But it taught another great lesson which is that we should be true to ourselves and not let what others think change us in a negative way. It also taught that we need to be responsible and reliable. And think before we do things that could be potentially dangerous or harmful to ourselves or others.
Jeong Yoo
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the goddess girls series. I started reading last year. I started to like myths. My favorite goddess is Athena, the goddess of wisdom. I just think she is just talented. Now, back to the story. This book is just mostly about Persephone celebrating Hades's birthday, and trying to solve problems happening at her school, MOA. My favorite part is THE DARE!! Well, I guess it's my favorite. Anyway, whoever is reading this summery, should read this book. I mean the whole series.
Elizabeth
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun book! Even though this is a children's book I still like to read it because it's a nice twist on Greek mythology and the gods and goddesses!

I think this is one of my favourites in the GG serie... I also enjoyed how they put the story of Orpheus and Eurydice into this tale

Looking forward to the next one
Narariel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of the Goddess Girls series that focuses on at least partially on mortals, the book was enjoyable overall. I found the connections to the myth to be stronger than in some of the other stories. I did find it slightly annoying that the mortals are portrayed fairly negatively. The moral is a bit more subtle than some of the books and the "godboy" perspective to be interesting.
Natalie
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. Definitely a YA novel, but not in a negative way. Easy to read, very girl empowering, very teen appropriate, and relevant. Not to mention the mythology is terrific. I picked this up on a lark at the library and couldn't put it down. If you know of a pre-teen/early teen reader or just like these types of books, you will be pleasantly surprised.
April
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable quick read in the series. This time, Persephone takes issue with a magazine poll which voted her "Most Dependable". The tale of Orpheus and Euridice are given a go here and there are some clever twists.
Katz
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
To be honest, I don't get what Persephone don't like about being dependable. Being dependable doesn't mean you're boring, it just means people could trust and go to you for help. I would have given this a two if not for the fact that I use to love the Goddess Girls series.
Book Discussions ...: Predictions for Persephone the Daring 1 5 Mar 12, 2013 03:32PM

• Jinnie Wishmaker
  • BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends)
  • A Wicked Kind of Dark (The Minaea Chronicles #1)
  • If I Had My Way
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Midnight Masquerade
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • Blucy: The Blue Cat
  • Starchild: The City of Souls (Starchild, #2)
  • To Love or Die in a Steamy-Reamy World
  • Helga: Out of Hedgelands (Wood Cow Chronicles, #1)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
  • The Waiting Booth (Whispering Woods, #1)
  • My Treasures - Four Week Mini Bible Study
  • Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend
  • Heaven's Just a Prayer Away
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • King of Bad (Super Villain Academy #1)
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER, A Girl Power Primer, ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love!

Goddess Girls (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1)
  • Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2)
  • Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3)
  • Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4)
  • Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)
  • Aphrodite the Diva (Goddess Girls, #6)
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • Medusa the Mean (Goddess Girls, #8)
  • Pandora the Curious (Goddess Girls, #9)
  • Pheme the Gossip (Goddess Girls, #10)
“Persephone!” 0 likes