Start by marking “Jonah Sees Ghosts” as Want to Read:
Jonah Sees Ghosts

Jonah Sees Ghosts

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Jonah Sees Ghosts is a shocking, touching, and humorous debut novel that blends magical realism with a figurative study of the ways alcohol abuse shapes the personalities within a family. Resembling a stylish blend of S.E. Hinton, Stephen King, and Tom McGuane, Jonah Sees Ghosts tells the story of fifteen-year-old Jonah Hart, a boy with a problem he’s afraid to share: Not ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Jonah Sees Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonah Sees Ghosts

Thomas
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

“The singer to Kingface – that oddball DC band that were nothing like the rest of the Dischord bands – wrote a book?” (me, about a year ago when I was snooping around the Akashic Books website)

A cool strange fully-realized work – you can’t help but appreciate Sullivan’s pinpoint accuracy with his handling of kids, first crushes and making that slow ascent (descent?) into adulthood.

Magic realism, maybe a dash of ‘Denis Johnson Lite’ - it's really a wonderfu
Shealyn L.
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll be 100% honest, the reason I picked this book out was because of the cool cover. it actually turned out to be really interesting. you could never really tell if maybe the ghosts were real or not, personally I think they were, but I'm not sure.

I know one of the main themes,was supposed to be alcoholism, but it didn't seem to be to present. Sure the father was an addict but that was about it.

In the end, I really am not sure if I fully understood the book, but either way, it was very interesti
Allie
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book, and the details of ghosts of fingers squirming around saw blades and the dead ballerinas who hang around Jonah's kitchen were clever. Not scary. What was scary was the accurate depictions of high school cruelty, with awkward first dates and misunderstandings with friends. As much as I like supernaturally tinged books, I thought that this was strongest when it left the ghosts out of the picture, with its core story of an alienated teenager.
Christa绮思
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-borrowed
Interesting but not uncommon concept for a story. It was an interesting take on a story regarding people seeing ghosts. Would have loved to see more to the story, though the ending was pretty surprising, I didn't expect it to end that way.

What I liked was the contrast between the eerie, detailed and kind of creepy parts of the story, to the somewhat sentimental (though scarcely few) events within the story.
Kaleb
Oct 17, 2012
Misty
Apr 26, 2014
Kellie
rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2010
added it
Jul 10, 2016
Kirsten Engdahl
Feb 20, 2017
“In anthropology, things were mostly Stone Age: Yanomamo, Mbuti, !Kung - Susan once had it in her mind to learn how it had been before it all got fucked up, but soon tossed the notion, concluding that things have never been not fucked up. [-'Jonah Sees Ghosts']” 1 likes