Start by marking “Punk: Chaos to Couture” as Want to Read:
Punk: Chaos to Couture

Punk: Chaos to Couture

Since its origins in the 1970s, punk has had an explosive influence on fashion. With its eclectic mixing of stylistic references, punk effectively introduced the postmodern concept of bricolage to the elevated precincts of haute couture and directional ready-to-wear. As a style, punk is about chaos, anarchy, and rebellion. Drawing onprovocative sexual and political ...more
Published May 6th 2013 by Metropolitan Museum of Art

To ask other readers questions about Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk

Start your review of Punk: Chaos to Couture
Frederic
Aug 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: photography
One of the most disappointing books I've ever seen. Documents the bastardizing and commercial appropriations of punk iconography by some of the very cultural elites the punks were rebelling against. There are some great photos, but the context basically subverts anything good here.
Angela
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book.
Dakota
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite a few minor problems, Punk is a gorgeous book. The dissonance between the haute couture philosophy of punk and the conspicuous consumption of the exhibitions catalogued in this book was a bit jarring at times. Still, I feel like I learned a good amount about punk and a little about fashion, so I’ll easily call it a successful and enjoyable reading experience. Also everyone in it is hot. Except Sid Vicious. Fuck Sid Vicious.
Kayla
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a book that spends all of the introduction and commentary talking about the commercialization of punk, there was an awful lot of emphasizing that commercialism in the photograph selection. Just seemed weird that they made several claims that “it’s no longer punk”, then proceeded to include it in the book under that label.
A nice coffee table book with some neat history on punk anyways. Just conflicting ideas expressed.
Jaimie
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know if I’ll ever get over not being able to buy an exhibition book of the British Library’s Punk 1976-78 exhibition, but at least I can assuage my woes with exhibition books like this one. Not only does it give a wonderful representation of the couture clothing displayed in this exhibit, but it paired the new couture with images of the 1970s punk original inspirations. It may be an extremely simple presentation (and not really based on the exhibition space at all), but the simplicity ...more
Terence
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion, music
A very well assembled book, with some really intriguing designs. The essays are interesting, but the images from the history of punk and the fashion shows inspired by punk are good references. Obviously there's this albatross of political meaning and how supposedly haute couture has obscured those signifiers but somehow side by side they level out in a way.
Leonard
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't read much in this well-designed large format photo book, but I did look at the pictures. It's s different world from what I live in, and sometimes it's good to peak into other worlds, just to know that they exist, if for no other reason.
Allie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was able to this exhibition in person and wanted to relive some of it with the book. Book is lacking in the richness and breadth of the exhibition.
Twyla
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
a bunch of good pictures that I haven't seen before, but kind of infuriating to see all the style ripped off for something so...I dunno. you know?!
Lyn
Feb 05, 2020
Alyssa
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Great book for both the fashion and the photo history of the early U.K. punk scene.
Bola Badmus