Start by marking “The Rants” as Want to Read:
The Rants

The Rants

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
There's good news for those that rage at the  evening news, shake their heads at Washington's  business-as-usual, or watch as politicians carom from  social crisis to political crisis to economic  crisis: Dennis Miller is back, and he means to shake the  nation by its lapels.

Miller respects no  boundaries. Whether the subject is dope-addled  baseball players who can no lon
Published March 1st 1996 by Doubleday (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Rants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rants

Kevin
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, satire
book was good; however due to his career changes since writing the book and increase in general pussy behavior I am taking away a star... sorry Dennis you're moving down to a "2"
Todd Stockslager
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Review title: Archeological visit to a pre-tweet era
I remember 1996. It wasn't that long ago, but a lot has changed in the 15 years since this collection of Dennis Miller monologues from his HBO TV show.

What has changed most that leaves this printed collection of rants is the immediacy of Facebook and Twitter. Nowadays, as soon as something happens we cram our response into 140 characters and broadcast it out on our social networks without apology or hesitation as to who might read it and how it
SmarterLilac
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Taking a deep breath to write this review, deep breath...

I actually used to love Dennis Miller. In his own small way, he was the genesis of my political awakening circa the 1992 presidential election, which was roughly the time I started to 'care about things.' Though he was never (scripted to be) all that liberal, I found his writers him to be genuinely funny, pragmatic and good natured about all thing progressive, and tough as hell on the truly insane behaviors of the far right during the '90s
Schuyler Wallace
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis Miller is a funny guy, grating and pompous to be sure, but lobbing his brand of irreverent humor around to keep his fans amused. After reading his book, “The Rants,” I tend to think he’s funnier in person than as a writer. Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

The problem I have with his book is the tendency to throw out names that draw a blank with me. I don’t know who some of his foils are. I get the comedic reference when I recognize the name, and the humor is there, but
Austin
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books by comedians are always a guessing game. Are they going to be funny? Insightful? Inspiring? For probably 95% of the books by a stand-up comedian that are published, they are usually just funny (for the most part) and are a working script for their stand-up acts with some filler. In Dennis Miller’s The Rants we get a lot of his stand-up material and most of that from his HBO days. The book is broken up into 43 specific rants dealing with topics that range from “Women in Hollywood” to “Infor ...more
Rena Sherwood
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My review for this originally appeared on Amazon.com back in 1997:

Should be required listening for all potential teachers, parents, right-wing Christians and politicians. Heck, it should be required listening for existing teachers, parents, right-wing Christians and politicians anyway, so let's just strap them down and pump up the volume! Makes you really revel in the fantasy of making Pat Buchanan's brain explode like one of those androids that kidnapped Mudd in Star Trek because he couldn't ha
Bob Cantrell
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I may be wrong

Having seen some of Dennis Miller's performances on cable I knew what I was in for in this book. Well I was right about that. Miller in his rants is fairly hitting the mark. He doesn't blame anyone person for what is wrong in his rants(for lack of a better word) he is just expressing his opinion on the subject. Some may see it that he is an opinionated asshole ( his favorite turn of phrase) while may see him as the speaker of absolute truth. I don't agree with him on everything
Daniel
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The wonderful accordion player comes bouncing out to tumultuous applause and the room erupts to yet a higher peak of sound and fury. The wonderful accordion player dances and capers madly about the whole room, playing and singing familiar standards, pausing only to wipe the sweat from behind his steaming glasses.

The wonderful accordion player's face is aglow with happiness and the crowd enthusiastically accompanies every song; singing, clapping, dancing, and just plain yelling! There is a brilli
Stacey
Nov 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Dennis Miller. I think that he is very funny in a smart kind of way. The tirades that he goes on are near genius, and I agree alot with what he says. My issues with this particular book was how he said it. I listened to the audio version of this book, and found myself distinctly uncomfortable with his liberal use of the "f" word. When reading a book with a sprinkling of this word can be somewhat overlooked, but hearing it spoken loudly and frequently I just couldn't overlook it. I felt th ...more
Tena Edlin
Despite his constant potty mouth, I've always found Dennis Miller funny, and this book was no exception. Also, despite his potty mouth, he has a stellar vocabulary. I love having to look up words! This book is 20 years old, so it's a relic in many ways (jokes about the Menendez brothers, O. J. Simpson, Loreena Bobbitt, etc.). It was pre-9/11, and pre-Columbine... We were so much more innocent then. The most depressing thing about this book is that so many of the problems Dennis Miller gripes abo ...more
Amanda
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really want to give this book a 2.5 star rating but since I can't do that, 3 it is. I like Dennis Miller. I think he's hilarious. However, I'm much more of a fan of his post 90s humor. The book unfortunately feels very dated. It's not because the references are old, Miller always uses obscure references. The book feels dated partly because of some of the topics (see Airport Security), and also because Miller's politics have changed over the years, and this feels like a very young, and slightly ...more
Kristal Cooper
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis Miller's humor relies heavily on references to current events and pop culture. This book is 15 years old, so it's no surprise that some of the material is outdated and a few of the names he drops have faded into obscurity, meaning you have no hope of getting the joke now. The vast majority of the rants remain spot on though. Apparently, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We are still dealing with some of these stupid, crazy issues all these years later and that's a bit f ...more
Jack Gattanella
once upon a time Dennis Miller was pretty funny, insightful, acerbic, and if not liberal then at least sane. this is a collection of those 'rants' from his HBO show from the 90s, and back then I was a fan of his stuff as a teenager (the Iraq war changed him for the worse and its been ten years since I've heard any of his stuff, let alone this book). looking back some of it was snide but there was a lot of good stuff so it gets this rating.
Brian Sammons
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Dennis Miller. He was one of my favorite comedians. Then he became an all but paid for spokesman for the GOP and he was more sad than funny. I'm not bashing the Republicans, as I can't stand far left comedians any more than the far right. I think when anyone starts pushing their political agenda over bringing the funny they are just not that funny. Still, I miss the old Dennis Miller. I want him back.
Todd Beauregard
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan. The transcripts from his famous "rants" contained in this book require that you have both a thesaurus at-hand and a healthy knowledge of pop culture or Dennis' snarkiness will make a whooshing noise as it travels over your head at the speed of light and splatters on the wall behind you. I could do with the f-bomb leitmotif but that is what my filter is for.
Jason
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the time, I found this witty and insightful. Looking back, it's hard to remember why. Maybe it's that Miller has become so annoyingly conservative and so Glen Beck-ish in his certainty that he is right while everyone else is wrong. Maybe it's that I was 19 or 20 at the time and knew far less than I know now.
Chris
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll confess that I was probably the only fan of Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. I got all his obscure references and it made me feel really smart. Much of this book is now dated and 90-ish, but he still makes some very good points about discrimination, gay rights, parenting, common sense and the like.
David
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a bit dated, but that's to be expected for a book published in 1996. I often disagree with Miller's political point of view but unlike most comedians, he manages to make me laugh even when my guts want to shout "You have no flippin' idea what you're talking about."

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Sandra
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun gem I found at the Book Nook. These are from the HBO series Dennis did in 1994, so the material is dated, but I can still remember 1994. It makes a great book for the bathroom as each piece follows the important editorial rule for bathroom reading material. He just tickles my brain. I often wish I had an electronic device with me so I can Google some of the obscure references.
Tad Callin
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just happened to pick this up the other day, and even though it was published in 1996 - dating MANY of the jokes - the points Miller makes are still quite valid. In fact, he accurately predicted a number of trends in the pop political culture, making me wonder if we shouldn't have listened to him a bit more seriously.
Deborah J.
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis Miller has his own particular style of ranting with his own particular humor. It's one of the few books by a humorist where he/she comes just as funny off the written page as they do on stage. The book was too short!
Alisa
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
I friend of mine gave this to me when we were in college and I about pissed myself laughing. Yes, the rants that are in this book, at the time were what was going on.. and were spot on from what I remember.
Randy Lander
I liked Miller when he was on SNL and when he had his own HBO show... not so much now that he's a commercial-filming conservative sellout. I haven't gone back and read these in a few years, so I'm not sure if I still like them or not. But I found them funny at the time.
Leah
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny book. I first heard this book in a college English class. It was funny and seemed like something that would be a good read. It makes you think about your own views on politics and the world we live in.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
i used to like dennis miller a lot. now though, i think he's just a crank. the thing is, i think that he's probably always just been a crank....you watch an old snl and tell me different.....plus, he's waaaaaaay too smug with himself...
NumberLord
Apr 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deniis Miller fans...and that's pretty much it
Shelves: humor
I love Miller's rants. These are collected from his HBO show Dennis Miller Live. And they're funny--IF you like Dennis and his "referencia obscura" schtick. If not, then this book is probably not for you.
Kacie
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was always a big fan of Dennis Miller's show and looked forward to the rant every week. I still laughed reading through all of these but was a bit disappointed to find that they were all rants he had done on the show - nothing new.
Ian
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned-books
Definitely dated, though it becomes more evergreen after a few topical opening chapters. What surprised me the most was to learn what one American was complaining about twenty years ago, as the source and direction of those complaints doggedly persists in today's social and political landscape.
Bernie
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious.
Mike Gonzalez
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when he was cool.
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise
  • Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs
  • Cad: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Among the Heroes
  • Rock This!
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?
  • I'm Not Anti-Business, I'm Anti-Idiot
  • My Life as a Seer: The Lost Memories: The Lost Memoirs
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2005
  • The Best American Crime Reporting
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
Dennis Miller is an American stand-up comedian, political commentator and sports commentator, and television/radio personality. He rose to fame as a cast member of Saturday Night Live in the late 1980s, and subsequently hosted a string of his own talk shows on HBO, CNBC and in syndication. He currently hosts a daily, three-hour, self-titled talk radio program, nationally syndicated by Westwood One ...more
More about Dennis Miller...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Songlines
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99

“And the reason parenting is becoming increasingly crucial is that we now live in a world that is more fucked up than Peter O’Toole on his birthday.” 0 likes
“I remember once my kid got in trouble for saying to his teacher, “What time is fucking recess?” and I remember thinking, “Now where would he fucking pick up something like that?” 0 likes