Start by marking “First Do No Evil (Blood Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Do No Evil (Blood Secrets, #1)

First Do No Evil

(Blood Secrets #1)

One killer is in her blood. The other is in her house.

There’s a killer lurking in Dr. Skylar Novak’s family tree: the gene for breast cancer. That’s why her brilliant brother invented the Bella vaccine. But even if the miracle drug protects her from the cancer that took her mother’s life, it can’t save Sky from the flesh and bone evil stalking her in secret.

Published May 7th 2013 by Samhain Publishing (first published June 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First Do No Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Do No Evil

Start your review of First Do No Evil (Blood Secrets, #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
One killer is in her blood. The other is in her house.
First Do No Evil is the first book in Carey Baldwin’s Blood Secrets series. It’s an action packed, romantic, medical thriller that took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. At times I was riveted to the story and couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to find out what would happen next, while at other times I was reading with one eye squeezed tightly shut, afraid of what might happen next.
Blurb: There’s a killer lurking in Dr. Skylar Novak’s family tree: the
fleurette
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
My first book from Carey Baldwin and it is okay, not great but readable.

Danny is a single dad and this is what I like about him, since it isn't an extremely common thread in contemporary romances. He is a nice guy but a bit undeveloped as a main hero. We mostly follow Sky, our over-tortured heroine. I have some problems with attaching to her. There is some inconsistency in her actions.

The general plot is okay. Not really surprising, but good enough to follow it. The romance part... well, the r
Heather in FL
This was a group read or I might not have picked it up. Another Samhain with very little (but some) sex, yet still a really great, suspenseful story.

This is the story of Sky, a family doctor with a big heart, and Danny, the cop she meets at the very beginning of the story. Sky is meeting her brother and fiance early morning at a favorite coffee shop, and Daniel shows up before the brother and fiance and starts flirting. And then finds out about the fiance and backs off. But during that visit to
Coco.V
Sep 11, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (9/11/18)!💝

Blurb:
There's a killer lurking in Dr. Skylar Novak's family tree--the gene for breast cancer. That's why her brilliant brother invented the Bella vaccine. But even if the miracle drug protects her from the cancer that took her mother's life, it can't save Sky from the flesh and bone evil stalking her in secret.

When the killer strikes, detective Daniel Benson finds himself in the wrong place at the right time. The bold detective manag
Judi
One good turn deserves another, you save my life, I’ll save yours.

A seemingly innocent breakfast at the local breakfast watering hole in Flagstaff with her brother and finance ends in heartbreak and despair for Skylar Novak. Why was this happening to her again? Wasn’t it bad enough she had to lose her father to murder 15 years ago. Why must she suffer through another inconceivable tragedy and terrible loss?

Detective Danny Benson was also in the coffee shop that fateful day Jack Spru
Lisa Lin
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fantastic debut has it all-a strong heroine, a sexy hero, a scary bone chilling villain, and lots of unexpected twists and turns. The medical aspects of the book was quite interesting as it led to lots of moral and ethical questions. It was a thrilling fast paced book that kept me turning the pages-couldn't turn it down! I absolutely loved this book and hope everyone buys it next Tuesday! :) I'm so excited for Carey and can't wait to see what's next from her!
Pj Ausdenmore
A compelling, superbly written romantic thriller that hooked me from the beginning and still hasn't let me go. With a debut this outstanding, I can only imagine how good this author's future books will be!
MaggieReadsRom

Memorable Scenes:
- the first chapter > awesome start to a fabulous book
- Sky unraveling a part of the suspense plot and figuring out who the villain was > I was reading with bated breath

I was immediately grabbed by Carey Baldwin's writing style. It's fluent, clean and crisp with a knack for subtle humor in the dialogues. That first chapter had me at the edge of my seat, reading breathlessly.

Dr. Skylar 'Sky' Novak is suffering from survivor's guilt and not taking care of her own wellbe
Casey Dare
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carey Baldwin’s debut novel, First Do No Evil, is a romantic medical thriller that starts with a kick (of unexpected desire) and a bang (literally) and never lets up until the end. By the forth page (she had me at “…what’s it going to be… coffee or cuffs?”) I’ve become so hooked and can’t wait to see how the H/H get together. He, Danny Benson, a detective and widowed father. She, Skylar Novak, a physician running a clinic for the indigent, and recently engaged to her partner. How on earth will B ...more
Cindy
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. The author is a physician and boy you could tell through out this book. The first three chapters blew me away both with the introduction of the hero and heroine and with the detailed explanations of medical procedures that had to be performed. Don't say this often but I also fell in love with the hero from his first words in the book.

Dr. Skylar Novak goes through life determining the threat level and quickest escape route of every place she goes due to seeing her father killed
Amy
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Sky Novak is no stranger to crime or the aftermath but when months later she is confronted with the idea that she may be next or her brother, Garth, she turns to the one man she hopes can help her make sense of things.

Detective Danny Benson puts his life on the line all the time as a cop but when he entered Jolene's diner that cold morning he hadn't expected to meet Sky Novak or come quite so close to death. In the aftermath, while rehabilitating, Danny starts questioning the eve
Pam
I'm happy to say that I've found another great new author--one I'll be looking for again in the future. This practicing physician has started off her new series with a winner in this romantic medical thriller. The opening pages catch your attention with a literal bang when a killer steps into a diner and endangers everyone inside. It's also where Danny is seriously injured---Sky has to save him---and the details and swirling emotions are so vivid you can almost feel them. But never fear, you're ...more
Diana Hockley
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When newly-engaged Doctor Skylar Novak walks into Jolene’s coffee shop to meet her fiancé Edmond and her brother Garth, she has no premonition that life is about to change forever.

Detective Sergeant Daniel Benson does not expect to come across a woman he can love nor does he expect his world to explode in terror and pain.

Carey Baldwin’s First Do No Evil opens with, literally, a bang and the action escalates.

I was hooked from the first chapter and have to confess that I d
My Book Addiction and More MBA
4 1/2 Star!

FIRST DO NO EVIL is a well written, entertaining thriller with a great love story. Baldwin creates a tale with enough suspense to have the reader sitting on the edge of their seat. Danny and Skylar are very real and likeable. I couldn’t wait for the scenes where they interacted. Baldwin’s medical experience gives her the ability to bring life and additional tension to crisis scenes with her realistic portrayal of the danger. Sky’s brother Garth could easily become just ano
Janet Juengling-Snell
This is my first time reading anything from Carey Baldwin and I must say, what a rollercoaster ride it was!! This book was GREAT. Kept me on the edge of my seat from the first chapter. The characters were wonderful and the storyline had so many twists and turns,It made me dizzy just from reading. Anyone who likes a good romantic suspense novel, this book is most definitely for you.
Leigh LaValle
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by my writing partner, so of course I think it is awesome! Danny, the hero, is to die for. I can't wait until everyone has a chance to read this amazing romantic thriller!
Jenny
First Do No Evil is book one of the Blood Secrets series by Carey Baldwin. Dr Skylar Novak life was finally changing with the love of Edmond and her free medical clinic. However, for Skylar, her life and her beliefs changed when Detective Sergeant Daniel Benson started asking questions again about the death of her fiance. The readers of First Do No Evil will follow the twists and turns of Detective Sergeant Daniel Benson investigation into the cafe shooting.

I am never disappointed wh
Maxie
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Do No Evil by Carey Baldwin

Carey Baldwin's First Do No Evil is a cornucopia of suspense, romance with titillating elements of the very best kind. First Do No Evil captivates me from the first dramatic scene in the diner to the last page. I found it to be a robust thrill of a roller coaster ride that causes your breathe to hitch and occasionally bring a tear to the eye of the most stoic reader. Ms. Baldwin spins an adventurous story that demonstrates her awesome writing abilitie
Kathy Martin
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced medical thriller that begins when single-father cop Danny Benson finds himself in the middle of a robbery at a diner that results in the death of Sky Novak's fiance and almost results in his death too. When he recovers he discovers that the investigation has been closed even though he still has questions about it. When he goes to see Sky, he quickly learns that the attack in the diner mirrors a robbery attempt at her home when she was seventeen that killed her father. Both h ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Rhayne's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

5 Stars

Carey Baldwin has done an exceptional job writing a very fast paced, action packed, intense medical thriller with a side of romance. This is a story full of twists and turns that are guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat turning pages.

Danny is a detective, single father to one unruly teenage daughter, and the kind of hero that melts your heart. Skylar is a physician running a health care clinic. She is very caring
Lena Diaz
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive an advance reader copy of FIRST DO NO EVIL, author Carey Baldwin’s debut medical thriller. From the first page to the last I was totally hooked. The pacing is perfect. From the very first scene the reader is given a premonition that something terrible is about to happen. And when that terrible thing does happen, the scene is so shocking, so emotional, so riveting that it takes your breath away. The plot is enjoyable, but it’s not what makes this book such an inc ...more
Rhayne
This book is edgy and emotional. If you love a story that is suspenseful, that will stay with you and keep you thinking after you finish it, you won’t want to miss out on this one.

Complete Review posted here: http://www.guiltypleasuresbookreviews...
Stella
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A totally chilling romantic thriller that will make you tingle and shiver until you reach that last page. An exciting page turner with a dreamy hero ;-) Detailed review to be posted soon.
Vivian
2.5-star read
JoAn
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Do No Evil by Carey Baldwin was a medical thriller that I could not put down. It's also a psychological thriller, as well. The intricate plot had me turning the pages as fast as I could read. I was hooked from the first chapter when Dr. Sky Novak and Detective Sergeant Danny Benson meet.

The setting in Flagstaff, AZ was described perfectly and I should know since I live in Arizona. Her descriptions made me feel like I was right there among the towering pines and laid back lifest
Sandra  Valente
Copy received from author as a gift. My thanks is this review.

First Do No Evil was a huge surprise to me. Not because I was expecting anything I wouldn’t like, but because this is Carey Baldwin’s debut novel, and it was good, very good. She’s a ‘mild-mannered physician’ – her words, not mine, still practicing full time. Carey is also a former clinical psychologist, so writing about psychopaths comes naturally – again, her words, not mine. J She’s also a hopeless romantic. Et voilà, w
Georgiann Hennelly
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First Do No Evil is a fantastic medical thriller. Dr Sky Novak is a mild mannered Physician who owns and operates a free clinic with her Fiance Edmond. One morning when she walks into Jolene's coffee shop to meet her brother Garth and her fiance Edmond for breakfast, she has no idea her life is about to change forever. Det Sergeant Daniel Benson does not expect to meet a women he is willing to give his life for. Danny Benson suddenly finds himself in the muddle of a robbery at the diner that alm ...more
Kimberly
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: really-read
Amazing book, a wonderful mix of drama, suspense( both murder and medical) and a touch of romance. I received the paperback yesterday and have already finished it.

The characters are great, especially like Sky and Dan. The story has many twists and turns that will keep you entertained and guessing.

I highly recommend this book, I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

I received this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Vanessa Kelly
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superbly written debut - authentic, emotional and suspenseful. There's not nearly enough good romantic suspense out there, so I'm very pleased that Carey Baldwin has joined the ranks of published authors. Look forward to her next book!
Ann
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First Do No Evil was just the kind of book I love. A fast paced romantic medical thriller. It was a real page turner from the start.

I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out. I highly recommend this "read!"

Well written debut novel. Thank you, Carey Baldwin!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dead Girl (Breakdown #1)
  • The Woods (Berry Springs #1)
  • Cold Secrets (Cold Justice, #7)
  • Cold Dark Places (Cady Maddix Mystery, #1)
  • The Promise
  • Bone Deep
  • Dead Little Darlings (The Keepers, #3)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • Bone Cold
  • The Storm (Berry Springs #3)
  • Shadow Suspect (Chase Adams #2)
  • The Killing Woods (Sidney Becker, #1)
  • Cut and Run
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • No Time for Goodbye
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Forgotten Legacy (Singing River Legacy #2)
  • Taker of Lives (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #4)
GREAT NEWS! JUDGMENT, the first book in my Cassidy & Spenser Thriller series, has been named one of the "BEST BOOKS of 2014" by SUSPENSE MAGAZINE.

Both JUDGMENT & CONFESSION are BOOKSELLERS BEST AWARD Finalists
JUDGMENT is a DAPHNE DU MAURIER AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN MYSTERY/SUSPENSE Finalist and a SILVER FALCHION finalist.

Carey Baldwin is a mild-mannered doctor by day and an aw

Blood Secrets (2 books)
  • Confession (Blood Secrets, #2)