Start by marking “Wounds” as Want to Read:
Wounds

Wounds

A man’s lifeless body is found in the fresh soil of San Diego’s botanical garden. Cause of death is asphyxiation, an easy call for the medical examiner. More mysterious, however, are the tiny drops of blood on the victim’s skin, resulting from hundreds of punctures.

Published May 1st 2013 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wounds

Lisa Johnson
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: Wounds (A Novel)
Author: Alton Gansky http://www.altongansky.com/
Pages: 400
Year: 2013
Publisher: B & H Books
Never before have a combination of various themes within the story frame as I just completed moments ago. Here is another author who is well-established in his field, yet who is brand new to me and who now has a faithful follower. With the internet making knowledge more accessible, I did a search for the author’s site, which I included here for you to be able to visit. As I read
Ron Estrada
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve become a big fan of police procedural thrillers, and Alton Gansky delivers with his latest, .

It seems a serial killer is loose in San Diego, but not just any serial killer. This one brutalizes and tortures his victims before they finally die of their severe wounds. One man is beaten to death with bare knuckles, another with rods, and one scourged until the flesh is stripped from his back.

Homicide Detective Carmen Rainmondi heads up the investigations. She’s a cop with painful memories of he
Lisa B.
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0

My Thoughts

I connected with the story right from the beginning. The two main detectives Carmen Rainmondi and Bud Tock, are responsible for investigating some bizarre and very gruesome murders. Along with this, Carmen is fighting demons from her past having to do with the murder of her sister when they were in high school.

I liked the relationship between Carmen and Bud. They worked well together and often exchanged witty, sarcastic comments. There was some interesting connections between C
Ron
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Werner Lind
Shelves: general-fiction
Excellent. While I am not a connoisseur of detective fiction, I've read enough to recognize quality. The collision between police procedural and a guilt-ridden witness' reliving a murder he thinks he should have prevented three decades previous sets up a riveting tale of evil and redemption. Both internal and external dialogues ring true, and the feeling of being there is unmistakeable.

One quibble: The scenes told from the perpetrator's point of view could be omitted. Gansky tells the rest of th
Georgann
Have a strong gut to read this one. Just too much, too graphic, IMHO, so I gave it only 3 stars. I wondered before I started it if I'd be able to read it. Must've been good, though, b/c I read it in 2 days.
Rick
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A rabbi leaving his house for work expects a regular day at the synagogue. That quickly changes when he discovers a dead man on his front lawn, clearly beaten to death.
Motorcycle riders racing along the empty streets of an abandoned m
Iola
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It’s the week before Easter, and a student from San Diego Theological Seminary has just been found murdered in a manner that is both brutal and unique. Carmen Rainmondi is the police detective assigned to the case, along with partner Bob Tock. And one murder with no leads soon turns into two, then …

Ellis Poe is a professor at the Seminary, and is both surprised and worried when Carmen Rainmondi turns up to interview him about the victim. Because he recognises her. She’s the image of her sister,
Doreen
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! There are so many things that I like about this book. I hadn’t read a book by this author in a very long time but he will definitely go on my must read list. Here are a few of my favorite things about this book.

1. The suspense was incredible….the plot so intense, surprising, twisted. This was a hard book to put down. A serial killer is on the loose and you feel the urgency and the detectives’ desperation to catch him before more die in heinous fashion.

2. Even though parts of the story were
Kirsten
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book “Wounds” written by Alton Gansky was intriguing from the very beginning. Right from the start there was crime. Carmen Rainmondi is a detective who is not only trying to solve recent cases but she also trying to solve one from the past. But, now the city of San Diego seems to be getting new murder cases every few days. At first there seems to be no connection, but then they dig a little deeper. The solution to this mysterious case could lie in the hands of a quiet, religious professor na ...more
Lou
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reseña completa en español

I feel like my feelings are mixed in a bowl...

I loved this book! I've just like everything! But... I'm not pretty sure about the ending. I know that forgiveness is not easy for everyone. On one hand, I understand Carmen but I can't help but be a little bit angry with her.

However I really liked this book. I recommend it to everyone.
Joan
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like a good police mystery novel and this is a good one. It is a but gruesome so if you have a weak stomach, this one may be too much. But when you finish the book, you will understand why it had to be that way. Gansky has woven a unique and spiritually enlightening murder mystery. He's on my list for future reading. See my full review at http://bit.ly/1bdrAvU.
Carla Conley
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even though I am a Christian and have watched movies on how Jesus was crucified, this book made me realize even more the suffering and pain Jesus went through...and he did it for us.
Amanda
Wounds was very well-written. I could imagine being there with the characters. That said, I only gave it 3 stars for a few reasons. It's slow - I really had to work to get into the book. I flew through the last half, but the first half was work to read. I wasn't able to really connect with Carmen's character. She seemed almost flat, and could have been a very dynamic character. The book is also very violent and bloody, more than I was expecting. It also felt unfinished, like the final scenes wer ...more
Terry Conrad
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd or 4th book by this author. He writes well and character development is very good. I was at a bit disappointed because I was expecting a supernatural read. I don't know why unless it's because I loved his book Plot Line. The second half was definitely better than the first half. Police procedure stories don't catch my attention that much. The torture was hard for me to read but I understand the need for it in this book.
CindyHunt
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabs hold and won't let go!

This is a real page turner and the storyline really grabs hold from the beginning. This is my first novel by Alton Gansky other than the Harbingers series he wrote with Frank Peretti, Angela Hunt, Bill Myers and Jeff Gerke and it certainly won't be my last. It really makes you think about what Jesus endured all those hours before and during his crucifixion for each of us.
Cindy
Zak
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
it's well-written book and I have enjoyed reading it for most part. I would have given it another star had the author not pulled that lame twist of serial killer kidnapping the chief investigator. it's pretty outdated trick..
Wayne Presnell
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot was a bit far fetched, but I loved the characters. I wish there had been a bit more mystery to it though.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Seems like there's a serial killer on the loose in the city of San Diego and it's going to take a team effort to find out who it is before they claim their next victim. The only problem is that each of these cases seem to be completely different from one another. The only thing that is the same is bodies are being left for the police to find but each of them is murdered in completely different ways. Is it the work of a team of serial killers or simply the work of one person who is bent on keepin ...more
Victor Gentile
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alton Gansky in his new book, “Wounds” published by B&H Publishing Group brings us into the life of Dr. Ellis Poe.

From the back cover: A crime of passion

A rabbi leaving his house for work expects a regular day at the synagogue. Th
Gina Burgess
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

I do recommend this book, although only to adult readers. It is not reading for anyone with a faint heart or who is squeamish. The story is about another broken, driven, crusty female cop, her demons, and how she deals with them while tracking down a particularly vicious and sadistic serial killer.

My attention was riveted from the first page. The story pace lagged a bit around the middle and picked up again about 3/4 of the way. I think Mark Bertrand does a much better job at incorporating the p
Mikal Dawn
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:

Creepy. There’s one word to describe the crimes in this book, especially when one of the main characters, Dr. Ellis Poe, makes the connections between the murders and the theme the murderer is following.

Let me put this out there: I love these kinds of books. Psychological thrillers, crime, speculative fiction…I love it. I’m not so much a fan, however, of gore or horror. Wounds does not describe gratuitous gore, though. Yes, it’s creepy, and yes, I would absolutely despise hearing of
Pete
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Book Review - Wounds

Wounds, by long time, successful Christian author, Alton Gansky, delves into the victims of a serial killer whose motive is evil and whose crimes are biblical.

Gansky's story approaches the subject matter in a way I love, not as Christian fiction, per se, but as a book that has characters who are actively Christian.

This is a big difference to me. In my experience, Christian fiction novels tend to be preachy and geared specifically toward Christian fans, where fiction with Chr
Lindsey Silvestrini
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wounds is a book that will WOW you! I was so addicted to this book I plowed through all 379 pages in a day. It’s one of those books I kept reading faster and faster because I was dying to know how it ended and then I was totally depressed as soon as it was over!
Gansky is a genius storyteller and he paced this book with the precision and skill of a master. I never got bored because he dropped clues at just the right time to keep me intrigued. I loved the plot and how he connected all of the chara
Janka H.
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

This book has cemented my love for Alton Gansky. The man writes intelligently and is not afraid to go deep into the complicated human psyche in his journey to find the real truth, the real humanity. His novels are dark and gritty, yet full of true compassion for people involved and often wounded. He is seeking the truth, but not the sweet and sugar-coated one, but the real truth and forgiveness which takes pain and time - and this is not so often recognized and simply done within Chris
Julie Graves
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Ellis Poe is a shy and timid man. He also has a terrible secret that he has kept for almost 30 years. When one of his students is a murder victim Ellis is thrown back 30 years when the detective that comes to question him brings back all of the memories of one fateful night when he was just 17.

Carmen Rainmondi is no stranger to murder. It is her job to find out who this latest killer is. Carmen has been working her sister’s murder for years. She is determined that someday she will find out who
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had never read any of Alton Gansky's books but Lifeway Christian had this one half price and I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm so very glad I did. The first paragraph drew me in and I was hooked!

This book was like an entire season of Criminal Minds at once! Seriously. A serial killer is at work in San Diego, but he has a very odd manner to his crimes. Detective Carmen Rainmondi and her partner, Bud Tock, can't for the life of them figure out what the connection is to all the murders, but know
Paul Goble
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Theology professor Dr. Ellis Poe joins detective Carmen Rainmondi to stop a vicious serial killer. This book provides plenty of suspense, police procedure, Christian references, humor, and gory dead bodies. You won't find much in the way of romance, trite Gospel presentations, or neatly wrapped resolutions of personal struggles.

The writing is clear, and at times moves beyond the serviceable to borderline brilliant. The author's keen observations enrich what might otherwise be mundane description
Mark
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read several of Alton Gansky's books, but this one has to be his best ever. It had a teriffic plot. Even when it became obvious where the plot was going, it only became more suspenseful. I liked the characters, epecially the two main ones who though so totally different in every way, were connected by their past.

This is a gritty novel. If you're wanting to read a cozy little mystery, this book is not for you. In fact, other than the killings, which I won't give spoilers away, and one of
Fire
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wounds is another amazing book by Gansky! In Wounds a killer is using the steps of Jesus's trial and Crucifixion as the plan for his murders. Each step in the process that killed Jesus human body is used to kill a victim. Police are baffled and turn to a local Biblical professor for help. Once the killer's final victim is identified, can they stop him before it is too late?

Gansky has done an amazing job painting the picture of the suffering Christ endured. For Christians there is a depth of the
Marla Madison
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't notice until I started reading this novel, that it was in the Christian suspense category, which I normally don't read. What a surprise! It is a super suspense read. The author cleverly used terms like "she swore" rather than use profanity, and it worked well. There was quite a bit of theological discussion, but it fit with the plot. I thought the book was extremely well written and hard to put down.
And, since I'm always very critical of endings, I must say Gansky crafted a very satisfy

• Critical Condition
  • Dark Justice
  • Peril (Bloodline Trilogy #3)
  • The Survivor (Crime Scene: Houston, #2)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Critical Reaction
  • Mosaic (Harbingers #5-8)
  • Hurt (Solitary Tales, #4)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics, #1)
  • Relentless Pursuit (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #4)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • First the Dead (Bug Man Series #3)
  • Kill Devil
  • Heart of Ice (Triple Threat, #3)
  • Bones of Fire (Fire #1)
Alton Gansky is the author of 30 books--24 of them novels, including the Angel Award winner Terminal Justice and Christy Award finalist A Ship Possessed. A frequent speaker at writing conferences, he holds a BA and MA degrees in biblical studies. Alton and his wife reside in Southern California.